Challenge. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2008 650r
Years Riding: It rides me.
How you found us: App

Challenge.

Next season I may be in the market for a new bike, my second. I currently own a Kawi 650r. I don't plan to do many track days, if any really. I don't need top speed since I think highway rides are boring and I'd rather use the machine in it's other abilities.
I like the twin set-up of the 650r(minus the sound since it's parallel not v-twin)
I like the set-up since you get the torque on demand. Decent seating position(I have lower than stock bars). I would also prefer a faired bike since wind is a PITA.
So I have it narrowed to Street Triple, ZX6r, CBR600, R6, SV650/1000
I am hesitant about the SV650 since it's the same set-up essentially as the 650r

I know the inline 4 set-ups may not provide the low end torque I have grown to love but I suppose a sprocket set-up could help with that. I like everything else about them as long as I am comfortable on it/them and

The Street Triple...what can I say...that's a nice well rounded moto IMO. I have not ridden it but I can't find too many "bad" things on it. I get the nice riding position as well. I guess it's odd it's not one of the big names and a Triumph to me, but does not lack the quality.

Here's the challenge, let's say the cap is $5,000. It can be any year BUT fuel injection is a must. This is cause I don't want to deal with carbs, simple. I don't need a new bike since again, it's a hobby, I have no reason to have a new bike...I just don't see the appeal. I can move on from a used one easier as well or keep it and not feel like it was a waste. Plus being on payment plans suck!

2008 650r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Spend a few hundred extra and get a street triple.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Sportbike: 05 SV
Years Riding: ...
How you found us: ...

Street triple's are nice, but zero wind protection even if you have the little flyscreen.

You'll be constantly fighting the wind so be aware of that.

SV650 and 650R are just way too similar. V-twin vs parallel twin but otherwise very similar bikes. Don't know if you'd want to get another bike thats so similar.

One tip, check insurance on every bike you listed or are considering. I've knocked off alot of bikes off my list when the price is $2k/year for insurance.

Pick a category, cruiser, standard, sport, supermoto, etc, and then narrow down your search to 2-3 bikes. Having a super wide range will just make it so much more confusing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

I think the 650r and SV are too similar as well.
I have had the Street Triple on the top of my list for awhile, since I get the motor setup I think I'll enjoy more and the compact look I think is interesting. I don't mind the fairly standard seating position either. Not TOO worried about wind, I'll hopefully have a chance to test ride one somewhere or maybe even any naked bike. Then there's always finding one...our area(Chicagoland) doesn't exactly seem filled with them.

Every time I see a typical(ZX6R, CBR, R6) I just get pulled back in by those damn looks! Availability is nice.

Recently I have been reading the Street Triple is a real "handling" machine.
I have lots of time but I was hoping to spark a big of a conversation here about the bikes in general.
Insurance I will look into, if the Street Triple is highest and I can't find one for a decent price I may lean toward an inline 4. Who knows, maybe I'll strike big or find a small sack of money and get them all!

2008 650r
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 AM

Sportbike: 03 SV650n
How you found us: aliens

Street triple + wind protection/ fairings = Daytona 675. Its different compared to everything on the road.

But remember different can cost more money and time. Parts aren't a dime a dozen, maybe its a nickel a piece. But I don't know as I never owned.

I like my SV, plan on owning it for a while. But if I was forced to get another bike it would most likely be a Daytona 675 or a f4i.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 AM

The typical ZX6r, CBR, R6, D675 or any SS bike for that matter will have insurance much higher than what you're paying for your 650r.

For example, $400/year for my SV is like $2200/year for any 600cc SS bike listed above.

The street triple might be considered a standard to insurance might be cheaper than its D675 counterpart, but I've never checked insurance on the street/speed.

I've looked every few months and prices and availability for either bike aren't great in this area. I've seen older ones at decent prices (02-04) for less than $4k, but those were the speed triples with the 955 motor.

I've considered gettng rid of my SV, love that speed triple motor myself but really prefer wind protection. The Sprint ST and Speed triple are at the top of my list, either one pops up at a good price and I'll probably pick it up.

I've always been a fan of Jap bikes but nothing really interesting come out of there
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Gixxers rule. Do it.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Gixxers rule. Do it.
lol. Never.

If the insurance difference is that much then I'll be guided heavily by that. Not that I'm planning on broke or cheap but I think I could enjoy a Street Triple just as much as an I4 set up.

The Street Triple vs. Speed Triple. I have read enough to know the Street Triple is plenty for me and they both have their ups and downs. I might consider a Speed Triple if I can find one that's in great shape and in budget.
I have seen 1 Daytona and it was parked next to me at my university. I did just walk around it and stare at it for about 5 minutes, lol.

Thanks for all the input guys, I guess I'll just have to wait it out until next season and hope to experience some when the time comes.

2008 650r
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 AM
#40 expert

Sportbike: gsxr600
Years Riding: 40+ years started at four (My dad still rides Motocross at 80)
How you found us: nesba.com

I like how you said 'may be in the market...'

I thought we as motorcycle folks are always in the market for a new bike?

DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION
Pro/ENGINEER training ZX6R CCS Expert #40 #1 plate holder
http://design-engine.com/category/racing/ RACE BLOG
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Street triple, damn near the perfect streetbike.
Fyi, the bike you have is a great all round bike and excellent streetbike. But we all get the new bike itch.

Under200
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post
Street triple, damn near the perfect streetbike.
Fyi, the bike you have is a great all round bike and excellent streetbike. But we all get the new bike itch.
Maybe as in next season maybe...but always "in the market" for sure. lol

I do think the 650r is a good all around bike. The reasons I may be looking to upgrade are...
- It's a natural process and human drive.
- I would like more power
- Better motor set-up (650's tend to vibrate tons and P-twin sounds...meh.)
- I like the looks of the 650 but I like others better.

I'll have a decent amount on my plate come next "season" as it is with graduating next May. So a lot will depend on what I'm looking at job wise and the girlfriend and I are looking to move in together. I told her, I won't sell the 650r unless I have too, but I won't buy anything else that would cost more if I shouldn't.

I might be able to buy myself some time now too since the Kawi Z800 is going to be out next year. So I wouldn't mind giving that some time and seeing the real world reviews on it. Then I get back toward a more inexpensive bike to maintain, parts availability and power. I just hope the torque is there like I'm looking for since it will maintain an I4 set-up.

2008 650r

Last edited by MentalTwitch; 09-09-2012 at 01:07 PM.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Street triple is a fantastic bike. The D675 is a great ride too, and slides really well down the highway, trust me. For half the price, you can get a first gen SV650 and spend some $$$ on suspension and go fast parts and have a bike ready for near anything.

Not to throw another bike in the mix, but the Ducati M900 is a fun bike too.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I don't think I'd own a Duc. Not because I am a super cheap person, but the name just doesn't appeal to me, I don't think I'd like a dry clutch(not sure that model has one though), cost I am sure would be higher for parts than a Triumph, I doubt I could find one for a good price relative to something else I am looking at.
Something about how all that sub-frame is showing too...just don't like it. I know it's not too far from the Street T. but I just don't like it i guess.
Appreciate the idea though.

2008 650r
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

No big, just thought I would toss it out. If you get a street triple, green rocks. I had a speed four and liked the look of it.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM
God forgives, we don't

Sportbike: K7 Gixxer 600, 15 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
Years Riding: 5+
How you found us: On the interwebz

I would refrain from a full on supersport on the street, but this is the adult me talking. When I was younger ergonomics did not rank as high as the looks. However the Triumph has both. Good ergos and good power with sport bike like handling. The wind protection will be minimal but that's true for all bikes you're looking at unless you decide to look at touring bikes.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

ZX6r, CBR600, R6

I own 2 of the 3 here 636/r6 and have a friend down street with the cbr600

the seating position and wind beats up up period,

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 AM

Sportbike: present 04 r1 had 08 cbr 1k
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: google

In a perfect world that Ducati street fighter is pure sex but a 10g bike lol why not a liter bike if you've been riding a while good for cruising and track use. Everyone has a gsxr around here maybe a r1 or zx10. Even the sv1000 is nice once you get power you'll Nva look back
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

I don't really see purpose behind a liter bike, then I found out they have some more pull in the lower range. I will have to consider as well. If I went with a liter bike it would be an R1 or ZX10.

The R6 I read is one of the tallest SS out there, so if the R1 follows it's footsteps, it may not be an option since my feet go half flat on the 650r and that is I think 2 inches shorter than the R6.

The SV1000 is nice but in that class I think a SS would be my best bet. See what becomes available an insurance as well.

2008 650r
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Devildog

Sportbike: 01Gsxr750,08Drz400sm
Years Riding: 25+

Generation ll FZ1, i have ridden a couple and they are great bikes.

They are available used in the $5000 range.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 PM

I had a 08 cbr 1k best bike for street riding I ever had a lot of power down low an light as hell. I currently have a 04 r1 which feels like you sit on top of bike where as the cbr you were in the bike of you get what I mean. I'm 5 11 and my r1 is stock height and I touch no problem and I put a 520 kit and this thig screams lol as far as the fz1 goes its te r1 engine remapped in a upright riding postion pretty nice bike since you like standards. I personally hate the upright thing that's what dirtbikes are for I would say find a friend with a r1 swap bike around block or somethig the. And liter bikes are good street bikes due to less shifting and more torque through rpms with the proper set up ie 520 kit an good tires
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Sportbike: 2010 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 4

Send a message via Skype™ to drozek
Go with the R6, mean little fucker you can throw around
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

sv1K is a great streetbike that can do trackday and used ones can be had for under 3K
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post
I don't really see purpose behind a liter bike, then I found out they have some more pull in the lower range. I will have to consider as well. If I went with a liter bike it would be an R1 or ZX10.

The R6 I read is one of the tallest SS out there, so if the R1 follows it's footsteps, it may not be an option since my feet go half flat on the 650r and that is I think 2 inches shorter than the R6.

The SV1000 is nice but in that class I think a SS would be my best bet. See what becomes available an insurance as well.
SV1k or FZ1 won't be in the same classification for insurance. My SV650 is about 450/year, an SV1k is about 600/year, 1000 SS bikes are around 2k/year
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM

Liter bikes are worth the insurance I'm 24 have r1 pay 50 a month no big deal. I won't even touch a 600 anymore I find them boring lol
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate all the input and ideas. Especially the "hands on" ones. I will have some looking to do come early next season. I'll get some insurance quotes then look for some bikes.
I am familiar with the FZ1, it's that whole...I just don't know what it is about it I can't "like"(looks wise). I could get used to it though if it feel like the best for me.
Right now it is(loosely) narrowed down to, R1, CBR600/1000, ZX6R/ZX10R, Street Triple.
With these close behind: R6, Z800, FZ1, SV1000

I always had my eyes on an R6 for a SS, but in light of reading recent reviews of varying gens, they need a lot of top end love and under 11K(?) is no "fun."

I am not excited yet, but once this new bike shopping begins I am sure I will be, since most people say they love it.

EDIT:Just did a quote for a 2005 R1, for my current location. It is $100K/300K of course for $320 for the year. I know it's low and probably only liability. My 650r I did too, it came to $500 year(liability) and I only pay $370. So if it's even remotely close I'd be feeling good.

2008 650r

Last edited by MentalTwitch; 09-12-2012 at 08:51 PM.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 PM

Have a 04 r1 with 40k miles runs like a champ I live south Elgin amazing bike
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto1988 View Post
Have a 04 r1 with 40k miles runs like a champ I live south Elgin amazing bike
Give ya five-dollas' for it...lol

2008 650r
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM

Well nx summer il prob sell it but I should easily get 4500 out of her lol I want a s1000rr lol
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto1988 View Post
Well nx summer il prob sell it but I should easily get 4500 out of her lol I want a s1000rr lol
Maybe, let me know when you begin to ponder the idea.

2008 650r
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 PM

Sportbike: 2007 Suzuki SV650n
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: motorcycle.com

Get the sv like someone suggested and toss a windshield on it. I color matched mine and it looks great. I said I would only use it for long trips but honestly I liked the look and it serves a purpose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode