So I get a letter from cook county - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 03 SV650n
How you found us: aliens

So I get a letter from cook county

I bought a 03 sv 650 in march this year. Registered and paid my crap. I can't find the form I paid the taxes with. But I'm 99% its $25 and I paid cash. I found my check stub for $137 for the plates and crap.

Cook county sends me a paper saying I owe $200 in taxes. "Non retailer use tax notice" wtf is going on? I'm trying to call them on their line but been on hold for 45 mins.

Do they think I bought a car? Or did prices go up? I pulled their "rut-50" and I still see $25 motorcycle.

Hopefully one of u guys can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Obama is at it already.......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Sportbike: 05 SV
Years Riding: ...
How you found us: ...

Unless they changed it, I remember taxes on cars 1-5 years old being a percentage value (i.e. 9%), and not a fixed value.

Either the tax on cars went down, tax on bikes went up, or they're way off and sending you something for something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

You are being billed to offset expenses for the south side voters.

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

The wording is where I'm lost. If motor vehicle is a motorcycle then I would need to pay. $200 minus the $25 I paid ( no receipt of this).

What's stupid is 3 calls each on hold for 45+ minutes and no one answers at this "call center". Trying to call at 7am when they open.
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

It cost Obama more than expected to win Orlando, so Florida sucked it up.
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

fines are probably included

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

I have to pay 175 bucks to buy a fiero WTF. and the fiero costs 500 bucks.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

So am I suppose to pay $25 or $200 to register a motorcycle in crook county
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

It's $25 if you bought it from an individual , from a dealer , you pay sales tax. Still can't figure that one out myself.

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Yea I bought it from someone, private party.

Googled around and a couple people got the notice but they bought cars. I think they confused my motorcycle for a car but hopefully I'll get in touch with a human tomorrow
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Unless this is a newly passed tax that no one knows anything about you don't owe them anything. The $25 you paid at the Sec. of State goes to the State of Illinois and has been in place for several years now. You absolutely MUST have paid it or the SOS would not have processed the title transfer and registration. My guess is they somehow got notification that you purchased the bike and they are assuming you bought it from a dealer because, to the best of my knowledge, other than the flat $25 tax that goes to Illinois in a private party sale there is no other tax on such a transaction.
DO NOT pay this until you are absolutely positive you owe it or you will never see that money again...Cook County is NOTORIOUS for sending notices about taxes owed that are not and then keeps the cash!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 PM

Sportbike: bikeless!!!
Years Riding: 19 Years minus 14 years
How you found us: Member

Here you go:

http://www.cookcountygov.com/portal/...tailer_use_tax

I got the letter in the mail today for a car I purchased months ago.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that yes, you will have to pay the tax.

You're welcome

Glenn
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

The State tax on buying a used motorcycle from a private party is $25.

Don't know about the County Tax on private party used purchases. I thought that Cook County only collected a 1% tax on vehicles purchased from dealers.

I bought two vehicles outside of Cook County this year, and got the tax forms and paid the 1% tax on each. One was a motorcycle, one was a car. Both were new.

Craig
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 AM

post #16 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Lol. I just went through this.

Private party. If its under 15k the price you paid, then it's 25.00
Over 15k you pay the state tax of what ever it is.

I didn't read your document. But if your saying they don't show you paying the tax of 25.00 then they added audited penalty, interest and all other crap to get your new bill.
If you don't have your copy of the payment your fucked.

You can argue it all you want. My advise is just pay it and the hell with them.

post #17 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

I got the same god damn letter yesterday for the DRZ400SM I bought.

I'm going over to the currency exchange at lunch to see what happened and why I owe this. When I transfered the title and registered the bike the currency exchange should have handled everything involving taxes on the bike which I purchased via a private party.

If the currency exchange can't help I'm sending the letter to my lawyer because this sounds like complete bullshit.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #18 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM

This has now come up on another internet group I am in. a group of them all received the notice yesterday. According to a link one provided, which is the same as the one posted here by Aussie Grover, it is a new tax levied by Cook County effective March 1, 2012. It's a new one on me. I had no idea the county board had passed anything like this. I transfered 2 bikes this year but have not gotten anything from the County as of yet. After reading the ordinance, I wonder if you paid the state do you still owe the county? The way it's worded raises the question but, I suspect yes. If I get a notice I won't pay it until I am sure that's the case...if it is I will pay but, you can bet my County Board rep and the county board president will be hearing from me and I plan to remember this in two years when they come up for re-election!

This pisses me off but, it doesn't surprise me...This came down from the same people that want to tax each bullet sold!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #19 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
This has now come up on another internet group I am in. a group of them all received the notice yesterday. According to a link one provided, which is the same as the one posted here by Aussie Grover, it is a new tax levied by Cook County effective March 1, 2012. It's a new one on me. I had no idea the county board had passed anything like this. I transfered 2 bikes this year but have not gotten anything from the County as of yet. After reading the ordinance, I wonder if you paid the state do you still owe the county? The way it's worded raises the question but, I suspect yes. If I get a notice I won't pay it until I am sure that's the case...if it is I will pay but, you can bet my County Board rep and the county board president will be hearing from me and I plan to remember this in two years when they come up for re-election!

This pisses me off but, it doesn't surprise me...This came down from the same people that want to tax each bullet sold!
Please post the link you speak of.

So we have to pay over 400 fucking dollars for plates, transfer title and registration?

Jesus tap dancing christ!

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #20 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

This is insane!
post #21 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM

I'm sending this letter to my lawyer right now. The state charges 25 bucks for tax. Cook charges 200? Something is not right with this.

And during the time of transfereing the title at the currency exchange this should have been addressed. That is why you take paper work to the currency exchange you are paying them to process the paperwork with the government. This is complete horse shit.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #22 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 AM

If the link in Aussie Grover's post # 13 doesn't work (it did for me), hopefully this will.

http://www.cookcountygov.com/taxonom...%20Handout.pdf

post #23 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM

An absolute fucking rip off. FUCK YOU COOK COUNTY FUCK YOU

400 dollars + to transfer a vehicle and register for us now. Asshole pricks

Quote:
Non-Retailer Use Tax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ordinance
Cook County Non-Retailer Use Tax Ordinance (at municode.com)

An ordinance imposing a tax on the non-retail sale or transfer of tangible property titled or registered, with an agency of the State of Illinois, at an address or location inside Cook County.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In November 2011, the Cook County Board of Commissioners passed the County’s fiscal year 2012 budget. Per the budget, there is a new tax, Use Tax on Non-Retailer Transfers of Motor Vehicles that was enacted which the Department of Revenue will administer and enforce.

Effective March 1, 2012 - A tax is applied to the transfer or purchase of a motor vehicle that is titled or registered from a non-retailer (Private Party), at a location in Cook County, with an agency of the State of Illinois (Ordinance 11-0-109) Chapter 74-Article XVII.

This tax shall not apply if the motor vehicle is purchased at retail from a retailer and the purchaser is required to pay the Cook County Use Tax as per Chapter 74 Article VII of the County's Code at the rate of 1%.

Rates:
Age of Vehicle Rate
1 - 5 years $225
6 to 10 years $200
11 years and over $175
Gifts or other non-monetary transfer $25*

* The tax rate of $25 is under the following circumstances:
Transferee of purchaser is a spouse, mother, father, brother, sister or child of the transferor and proof of family relationship is established by proper documentation
Transfer is a gift to a beneficiary of an estate and the beneficiary is not a surviving spouse
The transfer has already been taxed per State's retailer occupation tax, sales tax or use tax and the motor vehicle is transferred in connection with the organization, reorganization, dissolution or partial liquidation of an incorporated or unincorporated business provided that the beneficial ownership is not change

Exemptions to the tax are as follows:
Government agency or a society, association, foundation or institution organized exclusively for charitable, religious or educational purpose

Implements of husbandry (vehicles used for farming or agriculture)
A motor vehicle for which a junking certificate has been issued
A motor vehicle that is subject to the replacement vehicle tax by the State of Illinois
Transfer as a gift to a beneficiary in the administration of an estate and the beneficiary is a surviving spouse.
The use of the vehicle is exempt under the applicable provisions of Section 3-55 (b), (c), (d), (e) & (f) of the State of Illinois Use Tax Act:
i. The use of the vehicle in the State of Illinois as an interstate carrier for hire as rolling stock moving in interstate commerce or by lessors under a lease of one year or longer.

ii. The use of the vehicle, in the State of Illinois, by owners, lessors, or shippers of the vehicle that is utilized by interstate carriers for hire for use as rolling stock moving in interstate commerce as long as so used by the interstate carriers for hire, and equipment operated by a telecommunications provider, licensed as a common carrier by the Federal Communications Commission, which is permanently installed in or affixed to aircraft moving in interstate commerce.

iii. The vehicle is in temporary storage, in the State of Illinois and is acquired outside the State and that, after being brought into this State and stored here temporarily; however, is used solely outside this State.

iv. The temporary storage in the State of Illinois of construction related vehicles that are acquired either in the State or outside; however, are used outside the State.

Key Information:
The Cook County Use Tax on non-retailer transfer of motor vehicle is in addition to all other taxes imposed by the county, the State or any municipal corporation or political subdivision.

The Cook County Department of Revenue will be receiving a monthly transaction file by the Illinois Department of Revenue and Secretary of State of Illinois in order to pursue tax collection efforts.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #24 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Funny how this pops up after the election.

$400 sounds like the price for tags in Florida. But the cost to renue is around $40 a year.
post #25 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Sportbike: bikeless!!!
Years Riding: 19 Years minus 14 years
How you found us: Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
An absolute fucking rip off. FUCK YOU COOK COUNTY FUCK YOU

400 dollars + to transfer a vehicle and register for us now. Asshole pricks
Yep, I was "lucky" and bought a car 12 years old, so I only get to pay $175.

Total cost for registration and transfer came close to $500, with the new tax.

Glenn
post #26 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Holy shit!!!!!!

post #27 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Time to move..

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #28 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

VOTE DEMOCRAT, they are for the little guy and obama loves you
post #29 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

I think we need to get the ABATE lobbyist on this. I understand that the County is strapped for cash, but the level of these taxes on a used motorcycle is out of line with the sale price. I'd be OK with another $25 to the County, but $225 is over the top, IMO.

And note that the way this is written, BOTH the Purchaser AND the Seller get charged the tax.

Craig
post #30 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
VOTE DEMOCRAT, they are for the little guy and obama loves you

+1

Fawk that romney guy that wants to lower taxes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode