Empulse R First Thoughts - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

Empulse R First Thoughts

I've had my new bike a few times now. My first ride I just took it around my apartment to get a feel. I was surprised when I lit up the rear wheel in my parking lot. Instant torque is going to take a little getting used to. I'm still following the published break-in procedures, although I don't know why since they make no sense to me. That means keeping the RPMs under 3500 for the first 150 miles - which gives it a top speed of 62mph. It's still plenty fast around town even with the motor RPM limited. I'll hit the 150 mile mark tomorrow on my way to work, and then I'll be able to go to 5000 RPM. Once transmission oil is changed at 600 miles, I'll be able to use the full range up to 9000 RPM and use their sport mode which makes the throttle response and regen much stronger.

I did about 60 miles yesterday, with about an hour's worth of charging at home on a level 1 charger, and 30 minutes on a public level 2 charger. I had ~45% battery left at the end of the day. I had a "cold battery, motor cutback" message displayed for most of the day, except for one 4 mile blast at 60 mph on HW 83. As soon as I got off the highway the message came back. According to the lead designer, the power isn't actually being cutback, it's just something they forgot to change in the software. It'll be fixed with their next update, which will also make the battery's heaters a bit more potent. Even with the message displayed, I had no trouble out accelerating anyone next to me.

There is a power output display on the dash, and at 60 mph and upright I was using about 14KW, but when tucked that went down to 11KW. I am quite surprised at how much more efficient a tucked position makes the bike. On surface streets the power ranged between 4KW and 8KW, which matches what you would expect for their advertised ranges. Full regen generates about 1.5KW

The Avon tires the bike comes with are useless in the cold (probably useless in the warm, too), so I haven't had a chance to push it anywhere. The ride on the highway is firm, but not uncomfortable. Definitely better than my 1098 from a comfort perspective, but also much better feel than my SV. It may be a little harsh for a commuter, but I think it'll suit me just fine. When I did spin the rear wheel, the bike was very predictable, and I did not feel out of control at all.

Slow speed maneuvers and starting from a stop are a lot different than ICE motorcycles. The Empulse has a typical MC transmission which has play to make shifting quicker and smoother, but since the engine is not rotating at a stop the transmission unloads. This causes there to be a clunk starting or when switching between accelerating and decelerating. Some people have found it to be very disconcerting, but it did not bother me. I will have to learn to keep the motor loaded in slow turns by using the rear brake, otherwise it becomes herky jerky. Feathering the clutch is impossible because the motor revs so quickly. On the plus side, no need to rev match or pay for a slipper clutch because the motor instantly matches wheel speed on downshifts. But on the downside, it is impossible to clutch a wheelie because their is no motor inertia. I suspect once Brammo gets some more usage data they will update the motor controller to make the power ramp steeper, and then power wheelies will be very possible in lower gears.

If anyone wants to see, I'll be riding it to my go karting league today at the Buffalo Grove CIR. I'll be getting there around 2 to see if they'll let me plug in. If not, I'll be charging at the Walgreens down the street. There's no way I'll be able to do a round trip with temps as low as they are, but I only need a few hours at level 1, or about 30 minutes on a level 2 to make it. Drivers meeting is at 5, and I'll be heading home around 9.

Here's a pic of me charging in downtown Naperville yesterday:

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

Thank you very much for the write up. This is a very cool machine and if I were able to ride again, I would seriously consider this bike.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Nice write up! And nice bike. That's one thing I was wondering, what kind of life those batteries had in the cold.

I'd think for now you've got to really plan the trips... Are chargers pretty available? Ive seen one Walgreens in oak park that has them, but that's about it

visor down
nesba #608
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM

Sportbike: Monster
Years Riding: 1+
How you found us: googles

I'm so jealous. What's it like riding without any exhaust noise?
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

I'm glad you like it so far.

Interesting that you'll want to load the motor in slow turns. Wonder if that's something they can fix fairly easy.

The charging stations are starting to pop up at popular retail establishments. It won't be long before they're fairly common.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Empulse R First Thoughts

With an ICE bike, you feather the clutch in slow turns (at least that's what we teach at MSF - although it is possible to do slow turns without the clutch on their bikes since 1st is only good to 15mph). But that is impossible with this bike. The motor spins out in a fraction of a second, so re-engaging is very hard to do smoothly. Slamming through the gears shifting, smooth doesn't matter so much.

BTW, I'm eating some lunch now while charging at Walgreens. I made it to CIR in 32 miles, all surface roads, with 53% charge. CIR didn't have any outdoor outlets, so I went over to Walgreens. On their charger, my bike said I'd be fully charged in 1 hour 50 minutes. I'll probably blast home on the interstate, which should leave me with ~20% when I get home. Hopefully I don't loose too much while the bike is sitting in CIRs parking lot. If I need to, there's a level 2 charger in Addison that I can stop at in an emergency.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

What's and "ICE Bike" other than a Dirty Bike with spikes in the Knobbies?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
What's and "ICE Bike" other than a Dirty Bike with spikes in the Knobbies?
Internal Combustion Engine

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM

I just like the idea of owning a bike that I can't crash on the pipe side.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Thats why there is undertail exhaust.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

Very cool.

Take care and ride safe,
Brian
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM

Sportbike: Yamaha r6
Years Riding: 2years
How you found us: R6 forum

Empulse R First Thoughts

Maybe can meet up in the spring. Would be cool to check the bike out. My gf is out in Naperville so that's not too far away.

Adam
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrly View Post
Thats why there is undertail exhaust.
Buy a Daytona 675!
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Good looking bike (sans the ridiculous license plate holder ) and would love to take it for a spin, but this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopFu View Post
BTW, I'm eating some lunch now while charging at Walgreens. I made it to CIR in 32 miles, all surface roads, with 53% charge. CIR didn't have any outdoor outlets, so I went over to Walgreens. On their charger, my bike said I'd be fully charged in 1 hour 50 minutes. I'll probably blast home on the interstate, which should leave me with ~20% when I get home. Hopefully I don't loose too much while the bike is sitting in CIRs parking lot. If I need to, there's a level 2 charger in Addison that I can stop at in an emergency.
That's just straight pain in the ass. I'm glad there is pioneers out there like yourself, cause I sure as hell can't imagine dealing with that. Perhaps one day electric powered vehicles will be viable.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Bug

Always been curious as to why wheel motion cannot contiously charge the Batts? - I am an idiot and I am sure there is a reason but just curious as to why not?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Always been curious as to why wheel motion cannot contiously charge the Batts? - I am an idiot and I am sure there is a reason but just curious as to why not?
generating electrical power from the spinning wheels creates resistance, much like braking(hence regenerative braking) if you did it all the time it would be like driving around while holding the brakes,

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
generating electrical power from the spinning wheels creates resistance, much like braking(hence regenerative braking) if you did it all the time it would be like driving around while holding the brakes,
Ahhh, gotcha - I know Honda did something like this for their Hybrids that charged the Batteries from the Force while under breaking - Cool shit really

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
that would be perpetual motion.

More power would be required from the generators on the wheels than the battery could put to the motor to create forward motion.

It does sound like ths bike uses regenerative braking.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
that would be perpetual motion.

More power would be required from the generators on the wheels than the battery could put to the motor to create forward motion.

It does sound like ths bike uses regenerative braking.
Yes - correct on both counts. Brammo added regenerative braking to create better rider feel - basically it is engine braking. Without it, the bike would feel like a two stroke. When the bike is really cold, regen is off, and I can tell a big difference. Even with it, I'm going to have to start learning to actually use the rear brake - I wish it were a bit stronger. The regen only adds like a half a mile per charge, ironically. The risk of skidding the rear wheel by making the regen strong enough to matter would make it too dangerous. Also - not using regen and coasting is actually more efficient than constantly regenerating because the vehicle doesn't loose energy to the system while regenerating. It's totally backwards from what you'd expect.

BTW - I got back after an hour and a half from eating and the bike was at 85%, I used 3% to get back to CIR, and I lost 1% while the bike sat while I was karting. I left CIR with 81%, and took 53 to 355 all the way back to Butterfield going 60 to 62MPH tucked as low as I could go, and then another few miles to my place. I made it home with 14% remaining. Once I was on the highway, I was sure I would make it home. Fortunately, I also hit 150 miles, so my ride to work wasn't as RPM limited, so I went at 75-80MPH the whole way. Never even shifted into 6th gear. My 16 mile trip to work left me with 61% to get home, and my return trip (which started with a frozen battery) had me arriving with 24%. After my first oil change, I should be able to leave it in 4th for everything but high speed runs, or stop and go where I don't want to have to use the brakes. I can't wait to try sport mode! I should hit 600 miles before the end of the month.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

So is it just the cold killing the battery while it sits right now? Battery heaters or what-not?
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Keep in mind I'm no electro-chemical engineer, but the battery heaters don't use too much energy. I was actually surprised I didn't loose more energy after the bike sat for 5 hours. I didn't loose any juice while it sat at work yesterday.

I believe the batteries just don't work as well when cold. Voltage is created when ions move between two electrodes, and when it's cold the ions move slower and less freely. So the drop in voltage when the batteries discharge happens sooner, which give the illusion that the batteries have less capacity. Warming the cells helps, but the battery was designed to keep itself cool since overheating a battery has much worse consequences than having it run too cool.

Did I mention I'm not an electro-chemical engineer? Take everything I write with a grain of salt.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM
n00b

Sportbike: Yamaha feejer and Suzuki vstrom
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to zed88
So whats better on the electric bike than say a vanilla 750? Are they faster with better power to weight ratio? Whats the the max range on a single charge? I get the gas saving concept in car but on a 40mpg gas buke I figured there are also other cool features. It looks cool. Are they the same cost as a gas bike?
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88 View Post
So whats better on the electric bike than say a vanilla 750?
IMO, the only advantage right now is the unique/rare factor. Electrics will inherently handle better than ICE's because there is no engine vibrating between your butt and the road. IMO, it is really nice to not have to use a clutch to start and stop. Throttle response is also instantaneous. But realistically none of that really matters on a commuter, except for my preference for not using a clutch. The downsides are pretty obvious.

Fast forward 5 years...Motorcycles will have 100KW (~140HP) motors, and the batteries will be strong enough to give 100 miles of track performance, or 300 miles of street riding. The six speed will be gone and they'll be back to direct drive, but 0-60 will be faster than any ICE since it's far easier to add electronic nannies to an electric drive system and adjustments to torque are instantaneous. Top speed will be ~170MPH. Level 3 DC charging will be available, and will be able to charge to 90% in about 30 minutes, giving you 250 miles of range between stops. Gasoline equivalent mileage will be somewhere around 300 MPGe. Battery bikes will still be heavy, but the lack of a rotating and reciprocating engine or sloshing fluids will make them still offer better feel than any ICE out today. Touring bikes may be able to fit twice the batteries and offer almost twice the range. You may even be able to reverse the power, making your bike a generator for your house, with enough juice at a full charge to give you power to last a few days if you're smart. ICEs will be relegated to the budget buyers and minivans.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
I think this...

Quote:
Level 3 DC charging will be available, and will be able to charge to 90% in about 30 minutes,
makes this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopFu
ICEs will be relegated to the budget buyers and minivans.
pretty optimistic.

If we are going to electric, fine there are some benefits, but I want a fucking Tesla coil setup so I can charge wirelessly without stoping and waiting 2 hours, 1 hours, 30 minutes whatever it is.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

I am glad you're enjoying the bike . Lots of coins left the bank for it .
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
Buy a Daytona 675!
Dave has 45min time limit on Daytonas .
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Dave has 45min time limit on Daytonas .
Hey asshole I rode my D675 for almost 200 miles before I totaled it!

See you at lunch today fucker.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Quote:
You may even be able to reverse the power, making your bike a generator for your house, with enough juice at a full charge to give you power to last a few days if you're smart.
wat?

you could use the battery to power your house if you have an inverter, but the only way you're using the bike as a generator is if you add pedals or a ICE to spin the motor.

Last edited by BH; 03-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Go big or go home!!

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati Panigale S, 2014 Triumph Scrambler
Years Riding: 147 Years, 4 months, 22 days
How you found us: looking for free porn on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH View Post
wat?

you could use the battery to power your house if you have an inverter, but the only way you're using the bike as a generator is if you add pedals or a ICE to spin the motor.
Actually that's not totally inconceivable. I just finished commissioning a 5000 HP wound rotor induction motor with a very fancy drive system. Essentially we can consume power from the grid to run super-synchronous speeds or regenerate power (sub-synchronous speeds) back to the grid using special active front end converters and an "off the shelf" inverter. It wouldn't be that difficult to develop a charging device that by the "flick of a switch" could go from charge mode to regen mode and back feed the house (using transfer switches, etc). Obviously pie in the sky thinking but the technology exists today it just needs to be integrated into this application.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

....Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by JPKII; 03-08-2013 at 01:57 PM.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
If we are going to electric, fine there are some benefits, but I want a fucking Tesla coil setup so I can charge wirelessly without stoping and waiting 2 hours, 1 hours, 30 minutes whatever it is.
http://www.chargedevs.com/content/ne...ing-technology

To put that into perspective, Level 1 is up to about 2KW, level 2 is up to about 7KW, and Tesla's Superchargers are around 50KW I believe. I don't think that is practical from an implementation POV, at least not until EVs become much more common.

240 miles takes a good 4 hours to do, so I would not mind taking a longer stop to charge. For F4T, we take 4 or 5 longer stops along the way. I think it will be very doable, and the fact you'll only be putting in $1 of electricity instead of $20 worth of gas will make the time lost very worth it.

Obviously I'm a little optimistic and biased here. Time will tell

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode