Who's the best damn tuner around here? I have a job for them - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Sportbike: 2012 ZX-14R, 2012 R1, 2008 Stratoliner
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Saw the ad in 'D-Cups' magazine

Who's the best damn tuner around here? I have a job for them

I used to go to Kevin Hanson, but with his departure, I now need a shop that can handle a simple (yet not so simple) exhaust and EFI/TC upgrade. And a shop with real experience and a solid rep, please not "my buddy took his bike to his friend's shop...." Here's my situation:

I recently got a 2013 GSXR 750 for street and occasional track days. After some research, I now intend to put on a Yoshimura R-77D full system, and planned to just add a PCV to handle the EFI mapping. WELL I learned that there are now much better paths to EFI perfection than the PCV. Namely, Bazazz. But it's not so simple, since Bazazz has the Z-Fi, the Z-AFM, the Z-Fi-TC, the Z-Bomb, etc. Then there's quick shift, needing O2 sensors, yet not needing O2 sensors, airbox mods, fuel cut-off eliminator....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SO I call a shop I was considering using for the install and tune, and ask some questions about this, and I get all sorts of answers with nothing that sounded right. Stuff like "it doesn't matter if you use the sensors or not, you'll still probably get error messages, most people just ignore that" and "no matter what you use you'll still get some popping and backfires", and "just the PCV should be fine, shouldn't need a dyno tune."

@^$^#%$*&^%&%#%@!

So, I'm willing to go with the Bazazz stuff, probably with the autotune module (Z-AFM), and maybe the traction control for track days. But I just want to take it to a local shop where the guys there really know their stuff regarding this, and can get it fully tuned and running perfect, dynoed if necessary, and can explain how it all works so I can fully use it. Whoever I talk to should know exactly what to get, what will be needed (O2 sensors or not) and get it done completely right, as if it rolled out of the Bazazz shop.

Anyone know who can handle this? It's not a real tough job, and won't take tons of labor, just a tech real familiar with these parts and how they all get installed right and work together. Unfortunately there are plenty of shops around that work "OCC style" and really aren't 100% sure of what they are doing. Or they really haven't done more then the basic PCV install. Bikes leave their shops, but they are far from optimized. They can get it done, but it's not quality work. If I want it done just OK, I'd do it myself and see what happens. But now I'd rather it get done 100% right and enjoy it the way it was designed to work. Then if this shop gets it really right, I have another bike to send their way.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Valley Racing
Brian Conley
708-946-1440

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Valley Racing
Brian Conley
708-946-1440
A harley-tuning shop, right? Looks like they can tune the hell out of a Harley, but I don't see anything other than Harleys on their page. I know of a few great Harley tuners, but they aren't as good on Jap fours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

If you have the bazzazz with the AFM you really don't need to dyno tune. Just ride, record and make adjustments to get to your AFRs.

If you ask me a dyno just optimizes power at a standstill with a fan blowing at it. Hardly what is really happening at 150 mph.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Strange choice of bike if you want the best TC and power, why not get a ZX10R and have Farrell tune it with a kit ecu? Bazzaz TC is crap compared to the oem systems from kawi, bmw, etc. same goes for fuel tuning, kit ecus are the way to go.

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennywags View Post
If you have the bazzazz with the AFM you really don't need to dyno tune. Just ride, record and make adjustments to get to your AFRs.

If you ask me a dyno just optimizes power at a standstill with a fan blowing at it. Hardly what is really happening at 150 mph.
tuners make adjustment for this fyi ...

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 PM

Sportbike: lots
How you found us: grasshopper

Marketing and sales people look for folks like you.
Maybe you'd like some swamp land in Florida?

With a bike as fast as this maybe something like suspension tuning will be money better spent.Or is it the bling of the pipe and not really going faster?

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRMAD View Post
I used to go to Kevin Hanson, but with his departure, I now need a shop that can handle a simple (yet not so simple) exhaust and EFI/TC upgrade. And a shop with real experience and a solid rep, please not "my buddy took his bike to his friend's shop...." Here's my situation:

I recently got a 2013 GSXR 750 for street and occasional track days. After some research, I now intend to put on a Yoshimura R-77D full system, and planned to just add a PCV to handle the EFI mapping. WELL I learned that there are now much better paths to EFI perfection than the PCV. Namely, Bazazz. But it's not so simple, since Bazazz has the Z-Fi, the Z-AFM, the Z-Fi-TC, the Z-Bomb, etc. Then there's quick shift, needing O2 sensors, yet not needing O2 sensors, airbox mods, fuel cut-off eliminator....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SO I call a shop I was considering using for the install and tune, and ask some questions about this, and I get all sorts of answers with nothing that sounded right. Stuff like "it doesn't matter if you use the sensors or not, you'll still probably get error messages, most people just ignore that" and "no matter what you use you'll still get some popping and backfires", and "just the PCV should be fine, shouldn't need a dyno tune."

@^$^#%$*&^%&%#%@!

So, I'm willing to go with the Bazazz stuff, probably with the autotune module (Z-AFM), and maybe the traction control for track days. But I just want to take it to a local shop where the guys there really know their stuff regarding this, and can get it fully tuned and running perfect, dynoed if necessary, and can explain how it all works so I can fully use it. Whoever I talk to should know exactly what to get, what will be needed (O2 sensors or not) and get it done completely right, as if it rolled out of the Bazazz shop.

Anyone know who can handle this? It's not a real tough job, and won't take tons of labor, just a tech real familiar with these parts and how they all get installed right and work together. Unfortunately there are plenty of shops around that work "OCC style" and really aren't 100% sure of what they are doing. Or they really haven't done more then the basic PCV install. Bikes leave their shops, but they are far from optimized. They can get it done, but it's not quality work. If I want it done just OK, I'd do it myself and see what happens. But now I'd rather it get done 100% right and enjoy it the way it was designed to work. Then if this shop gets it really right, I have another bike to send their way.

Thanks for any help!
Why not ION in harvard for the tune he was with kevin i believe prior to his move

815-648-4440

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrection View Post

With a bike as fast as this maybe something like suspension tuning will be money better spent.Or is it the bling of the pipe and not really going faster?
But his name is pwrmad not bkehndlsgoodmad. The real question is why didnt he buy a literbike? He's never going to get 200hp out of that 750
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:59 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Ever consider just getting a remapped ECU? These are much more simple than a piggy back box. I have a gixxertune re-flashed ECU and it works great.

Under200
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Sportbike: CBR F4i, Kawi ZX6E
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Google

Quote:
But his name is pwrmad not bkehndlsgoodmad.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
For track days more HP will not win you the top step on the box. Brakes and suspension are your best $$ spent.

Some of the fastest bikes I have seen still have the stock can on the thing.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Sportbike: X-1, XR-1000
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: Badweb

Who's the best damn tuner around here?

Chicken of the Sea?
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRMAD View Post
A harley-tuning shop, right? Looks like they can tune the hell out of a Harley, but I don't see anything other than Harleys on their page. I know of a few great Harley tuners, but they aren't as good on Jap fours.
Brian is great. He worked with my dad and brother for the 10 years my brother raced Yamahas in WERA/CCS and the AMA. He knows his shit, so don't let the web page mislead you.

Brian used to road race himself. He also is a drag racer, but not sure if he is still active in that.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Sportbike: lots
How you found us: grasshopper

He tunes the motors I build.

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

tough crowd. The man knows what he wants and wants to find a shop that can do it. What's wrong with that?

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrection View Post

Sorry, I should explain. I will try (and likely fail) to make this short.

I got the ZX-14R for when I need the outright speed and quickness fix, and it certainly handles that job well. I took it to a track day last year just to try it out. It obviously is not meant as a track bike, but it wasn't horrible either, good handling for such a whale. Got to do much more with it than I would on the street, and good to get closer to it's limits there anyway. It's a perfect street bike for me, comfortable, smooth, and a decent amount of power.

That ZX-14R replaced my 2008 CBR1000RR that I did a few track days with also. Great bike, great for the track even mostly stock, and at the time if I could have kept both, I would have kept it, end of story. But I couldn't, so I sold the CBR to get the 14, and later thank God my finances improved enough that I could look for another bike to do some track days with.

So...with the GSXR 750, I wanted something much better for the track, and less focus for the street. Less weight, good suspension, simple to mod - I wanted balance. Not a 600 which would frustrate me on street rides, and not a 1000 which is a bit overkill for me at track days. So far I love it, and it's just what I expected. Nothing exotic so mods aren't super expensive (Ducati exhaust is about $3000!) and if I have a spill, I won't be crushed. Plus I've ridden many GSXR 750s over the years and always liked them, and had wanted to get the current gen 750 (BPF, Brembos, lighter weight) ever since they came out. Also, the dealership gave me a great deal on it, gave me a great deal on my trade (more than anywhere else I tried) and I got 0% APR for 5 years, so it's cost me next to nothing so far.

My reason for the original post is not for absolute peak power numbers - obviously I could have bought the GSXR-1000 right next to it if that was my goal. But I always like to get a bike optimized regarding the exhaust and EFI, meaning smooth power and fueling from idle to redline, no pops, surging or stumbles, improved low-end and midrange power (and usually some top-end gains too) and of course the benefits of a good exhaust that looks much better, sounds much better, and sheds some poundage too. It's taking a stock bike (any stock bike, really) and making it run just right.

I've seen it done wrong many times (yet the owners think it's great) and I've seen it done damn near perfectly a few times, and when it's there, it's a beautiful thing. THAT'S what I want for this 750. I want to fit a good full exhaust, team it with good EFI equipment, and get the thing running perfectly. The rest of the bike is good enough for me, and yes, handling is important, that's why I got it. The suspension on this bike is good enough to impress every mag tester that has track tested it, so it's surely good enough for me and anyone short of a pro. A few setting changes on the first or second track day and I'll be good there. For me, a bike that's 419 lbs wet (possibly under 400 lbs wet after exhaust swap) with brembo front calipers, a BPF and a decent shock does not need upgrading for me to improve. If and when my abilities outshine the equipment this bike has, first I'll celebrate!, then I'll upgrade it. As has been said, a pro on an SV650 can lap an amateur like me no matter what I'm riding, so this bike is plenty good for me at this stage. My main desire now is to get it running perfectly, using my friends Yoshimura and Bazazz.

And a third party, yet to be determined (see first post).
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
tough crowd. The man knows what he wants and wants to find a shop that can do it. What's wrong with that?
Ha, I was just telling my wife that. Seems people are always much nicer and more willing to help in person. It's not like I'm saying I just bought my first bike and want to crush all challengers, I'm just looking to hear from those on this site who know and have worked with really good local mechanics, and want to give them some business!

Last edited by PWRMAD; 05-03-2013 at 04:03 PM.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

its the internets yo!

lol at greg tho. hey that rhymes!

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoy View Post
tuners make adjustment for this fyi ...
I am not trying to be a smartass, but how?
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 AM

Sportbike: 2007 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: .05 Years
How you found us: RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
Why not ION in harvard for the tune he was with kevin i believe prior to his move

815-648-4440
He now has the dyno that was at Safety First and does a good job. He tuned my Bazzaz stuff and I was happy.

CCS AM 454
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm a non-achiever.

Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocker View Post
He now has the dyno that was at Safety First and does a good job. He tuned my Bazzaz stuff and I was happy.
Another vote for Ion at PCD. Good dude, fast on the flat track, and Excellent customer service.

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Where are the races?

Sportbike: 01 Busa
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: cant remeber!

Send a message via AIM to twistedspeed
Brian at win-racing.com and I would look into tuning it threw ECM..
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Sportbike: RC8R, ZX6R
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Googly

When I lived in Seattle, I sent my bikes to the best tuner in the country, yes country. He has people ship their ECUs and bikes to him from all over the place. If this is something you're interested in, contact Nels with 2 Wheel Dynoworks. I guarantee you will love his work. Even if you don't have him work on your bike, give him a call...he might be able to point you in the direction of someone comparable.

http://2wheeldynoworks.wordpress.com/
425-269-5332
[email protected]

And yeah, +1 on the tough crowd. WTF.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Sportbike: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple, 2000 and 2008 R6 track bikes
Years Riding: Not long enough.
How you found us: another local forum

Matt Drucker at MD Racing. He is near the quad city's. I believe he does the motor builds for Dan Ortega and Scotty Ryan. My bike is there right now getting the kit ECU dyno tuned.

http://mdracingstp.com/

Motovid A #528
Formerly NESBA A #528
STT A #528
NEZBRAH Awesome Group Commander #528
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Now that's more like it! No slamming, just good advice.

Thanks for the contacts, everyone, within the next month or so I will be contacting some of these guys and hope they'll work their magic on my bike. I'll post up the results. Should be interesting.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by incyner8r View Post
When I lived in Seattle, I sent my bikes to the best tuner in the country, yes country. He has people ship their ECUs and bikes to him from all over the place. If this is something you're interested in, contact Nels with 2 Wheel Dynoworks. I guarantee you will love his work. Even if you don't have him work on your bike, give him a call...he might be able to point you in the direction of someone comparable.

http://2wheeldynoworks.wordpress.com/
425-269-5332
[email protected]

And yeah, +1 on the tough crowd. WTF.
so are you saying that they take a stock ecu and retune it ?
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
They reflash it.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 PM

Sportbike: RC8R, ZX6R
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Googly

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Through ECUnleashed (http://ecunleashed.com), Nels can flash your stock ECU as long as ECUnleashed has developed a map for the bike (year, make).

From their website:

ECU Modifications – (options may vary per vehicle)

* Remove Factory Timing Retard
* Remove Throttle Restrictions
* Increased Idle
* Increased Rev Limit
* Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent)
* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration
* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction
* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration
* Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper)
* Optimized Fuel Maps
* Improved Ignition Maps
* Injector Phasing Adjustment
* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)
* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations
“Return to Stock” Option

If ECUnleashed hasn't developed a map for your bike yet, Nels still does the best tunes I've ever known. Like the OP said, I wanted my bikes to run and perform optimally - no jerky throttle, no chugging at take off, smooth accel/decel, etc. Without a proper tune, bikes are suffering with improper air/fuel ratios throughout the RPM range.

Obviously Seattle isn't the most convenient location, but shipping an ECU is not a big deal...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode