Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Who actually makes oil filters.

495 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Ryan 
#1 ·
So people know what they are buying.

Allied-Signal Makes: Fram, Autolite, Penzoil and Bendix.

Champion Makes:ACDelco, AutoZone, Champ, Champion, Car& Driver, Deutsch, Lee, Lee Maxi, Mobil 1, OEM Motorcraft, STP. Volvoline, Many OEM Brands and over 100 private label filters.

ArvinMeritor makes: Aftermarket Motorcraft, Powerflo, Proline, Purolator Pure One, Purolator Premium Plus, Quaker State, etc.

Dana Corporation makes: CarCraft, Napa Gold, Wix etc.

Tokyo Roki, LTD. - Japan makes : Suzuki, Honda & Kawasaki OEM Filters etc.

And the really good news, most likely, the Chinese will be manufacturing almost all motorcycle and car filters in the next decade......because you can get someone to work really cheaply at gun point, at it's always about putting the cheapest product for the biggest dollar amount on the market.

#2 ·
That's good Rick.

Not one company make all there filters. Wix will make for fram for stay and so forth. Company will make for each other in a nut shell.

Motorcraft is mainly made by Champion filters. Champion Filters is the largest filter company in the US and is owned by the Carlyle Group which own our company.

#3 ·
The filter market must have changed lately. I worked for WIX back in the 80's. They were owned by Dana then but were a subsidiary. At that time they made many private label filters and many OEM brands as well. Anything from Cat diesel to Volvo. AC delco was their own brand. In fact Wix used to buy "test dirt" from them. We used to carry a 4 page gatefold brochure of all the brands that Wix manufactured for. I'm hoping that I still have it. Having toured the manufacturing facility in Gastonia, NC, and having the opportunity to cut open most brands of filters as a sales pitch, I am convinced that Wix is still the best. Wix and OE Honda are the only filters that I will use on my bike, and only Wix for the cages.
Fram used to do the most advertising, but was the biggest peice of crap on the market. And now instead of producing a better filter, they put a non slip grip on the end of it. Gimme a break. The standard Wix filter had better specs and performance than the hi perf fram.
I turned down a job with fram. I didn't feel I could sell a product that I would not use on my own cars.

#4 ·
ceptor said:
Fram used to do the most advertising, but was the biggest peice of crap on the market. And now instead of producing a better filter, they put a non slip grip on the end of it. Gimme a break. The standard Wix filter had better specs and performance than the hi perf fram.
I turned down a job with fram. I didn't feel I could sell a product that I would not use on my own cars.
Hmmm I must get all the "good" FRAM filters, been using them since I owned my first motorcycles and cars. Never a problem with any engines, ran a Toyota to over 300,000 miles, always with FRAM filters, with the cheapest oil I could buy. Ran a Dodge Cornet with a 318 for over 200,000, same thing FRAM, and cheap oil, Jeep Pioneer, straight six, FRAM and cheap oil, Ford F150, 75000 FRAM and cheap oil, but a Ford truck you can run hard with a dry dipstick:laughing 99 Jeep Wrangler, 75000, again FRAM and I know the oil in that hasn't been changed for over a year, because it was the last time I forced the oldest boy to change it. The Fizzer I have just over 25,000 on it, once again FRAM , but Mobil 1 15W50, and I run that sucker HARD!! Am I just get good vehicles or am I just lucky:confused Because FRAM gets really bad press all the time, but, yet, no one, and I mean no one has yet to show meet a engine failure that can be 100% related to a FRAM filter, so I guess as the saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

#6 ·
get good vehicles or am I just lucky Because FRAM gets really bad press all the time, but, yet, no one, and I mean no one has yet to show meet a engine failure that can be 100% related to a FRAM filter, so I guess as the saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"
I know, since that web article that guy did where he cut a bunch in half people think they're crap. I think if you change them frequently enough you should have any issues.

#8 ·
RickC1957 said:
Hmmm I must get all the "good" FRAM filters, been using them since I owned my first motorcycles and cars. Never a problem with any engines, ran a Toyota to over 300,000 miles, always with FRAM filters, with the cheapest oil I could buy. Ran a Dodge Cornet with a 318 for over 200,000, same thing FRAM, and cheap oil, Jeep Pioneer, straight six, FRAM and cheap oil, Ford F150, 75000 FRAM and cheap oil, but a Ford truck you can run hard with a dry dipstick:laughing 99 Jeep Wrangler, 75000, again FRAM and I know the oil in that hasn't been changed for over a year, because it was the last time I forced the oldest boy to change it. The Fizzer I have just over 25,000 on it, once again FRAM , but Mobil 1 15W50, and I run that sucker HARD!! Am I just get good vehicles or am I just lucky:confused Because FRAM gets really bad press all the time, but, yet, no one, and I mean no one has yet to show meet a engine failure that can be 100% related to a FRAM filter, so I guess as the saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

I use Fram pretty much exclusively also. Even on the bikes. $5 for a PH6017A Fram filter or $13 for the Yamaha version? And from what I was told, Yamaha filters are Fram filters to begin with.:laughing Nice thing is I can get a case (12) of them for $60.:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.