Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Bike Tow

661 views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Phily-D 
#1 ·
I had never seen a bike being towed like this before this weekend. Anyone have any experience doing this? Is the person doing it from here... this was on 294 going towards indiana Sunday afternoon. More pictures here

See less See more
#4 ·
OMG I cant believe that is good for the tire. Doesnt seem like there is room for play on turns. Flat spots!!!! Hell no I would never, I am a nervous wreck just trailering her, always in the rear view..... and on bumps, I see her bouncing up and down on the rear.. nah, borrow or rent shit buy a damn trailer or get a truck... No way for me.....just get the entire rear plate and get both wheels off the ground...

GOOD LUCK WIT DAT!!!!

#7 ·
Another valid point........Dirt bike maybe would do it but no way not my rocket..... I know Ltar not calling ya out....

#8 ·
LOL, calling me out LMAO. I know dude, it just seemed like you were concerned that I was going to do this. It actually did not look that dangerous to the bike... and well, even in a trailer if someone does not strap stuff the right way... well... I am not sure how safe it is overall, it was more interesting than anything, like I said, I have never seen anything like this.

#10 ·
Pull the chain if you're worried about the gearbox. It looks like a nice way to haul a bike a short distance. Like as ain a situation where the bike brokedown and needed to be towed. It looks like you could store the towing device in the trunk when not in use. Pretty cool. I do think you should hang an extra brake light out on the tail of the bike though.

#11 ·
SloRoll said:
Pull the chain if you're worried about the gearbox. It looks like a nice way to haul a bike a short distance. Like as ain a situation where the bike brokedown and needed to be towed.
In the picture, the chain is pulled as a matter of fact, and wrapped up in what appears to be a plastic bag............................as sloroll says maybe a good solution in a pinch.

#13 ·
Crazy ass kawi owners

#15 ·
I have seen that several times now. I don't understand the statement about flat spots on the tire. The front wheel is locked down on the rest and the forks are tied down. That means the rest of the bike will pivot on the neck around corners. There is no way to get a flat spot on the tire. I don't think I would want to try that on any of my stuff.

G
#17 ·
goneridin said:
I have seen that several times now. I don't understand the statement about flat spots on the tire. The front wheel is locked down on the rest and the forks are tied down. That means the rest of the bike will pivot on the neck around corners. There is no way to get a flat spot on the tire. I don't think I would want to try that on any of my stuff.
If you put a race tire on that bike or for that matter any sportbike tire and trailer it like that down to Barber and back I will bet you at new rear tire you will have a flat spot on it. 2000 miles of hiway driving on a rear tire is going to flatten that rear tire pretty good.

#18 ·
towing w/ rear wheel on the ground?

Brian said:
I have heard of the concept ... never thought I would see it in action. Should be fine, although I would worry about the gearbox. I think even in neutral, there is some contact, or at least that is what it seems to be on my bike.
This concept is bad for towing a bike in neutral, with the chain installed. -The motor/oil pump is not running/working and the counter shaft is still spinning/turning. On a long haul, the lubrication will dissapate(sp?) :nono around the counter shaft and scoring/wear will begin internally:bangin .
+1000 for SloRoll...removing the chain. This is the only way it will be safe but is it worth the hassle of removing the chain everytime you tow with the back wheel on the ground?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.