Thinking of getting into dirt biking - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Dirt Bike Alley From 50's on up, this is the place to chat.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Google

Talking Thinking of getting into dirt biking

Hey guys, I have really been itching to do something over winter and in between track days. I was wondering if there are similar things to track days for dirt bikes and if there are any indoor dirt tracks within a few hours from Chicago. I ride an SV650 as a track only bike. I have no clue what kind of dirt bike or size I would be looking for either. It just looks like a lot of fun. Let me know if you guys can help me out! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

You can ride the ice or there's Racine Indoor MX.
Plenty of outdoor places within a couple of hours. Bike really depends on what you want/like. MX, trails, etc etc

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

dirtcycles are awesome. Do it!

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I'm leaning toward motocross. It just looks so fun. I have no clue whats a good size or bike. Are dirt bikes generally less expensive than road bikes?
I have a lot of road track riding experience, would something like a Yamaha yz125 be good?
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell 1125 View Post
I'm leaning toward motocross. It just looks so fun. I have no clue whats a good size or bike. Are dirt bikes generally less expensive than road bikes?
I have a lot of road track riding experience, would something like a Yamaha yz125 be good?
Depends how big you are . Motocross can get a little boring , consider a trail bike for dirt.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Sportbike: Buell firebolt
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Chicagoriders.us

Thinking of getting into dirt biking

Trail would probably be fun.
Just don't end up like the video that was posted on here yesterday or the other day.... The guy just started his bike and hit a bump then went to the river/stream.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
I shall have a 2010 CRF 250 R maybe for sale come spring, not 100% sure yet.. It has skid plate and bark busters on it already and I used it for trail riding more then MX. Also it is fuel injected with only 12 hours on it and I got it new.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

MX is a specialized form of competition. Bikes made strictly for MX are highly stressed and require gobs of maintainance that a trail vesrion will not. It can get by with simple service for a much longer period.
Using the Yamaha YZF and the WR as examples, the YZ will require likely a complete dismantling of at least the top end and at least new rings with a hone after a season of MX racing where a WR will require a valve adjustment and cam chain adjustment if it was serviced regularly and properly after a season of trail riding a few Hare scramble and GP outings and even a couple of MX races.
Make sure you get GOOD well fitting gear. Take a class... the Club 57mx Intro to dirt riding is a great place to start...If you're not already in the AMA, join and then join AMA District 17 and get at least a Hare Scramble and GP endorsement and go to Rocky Glen, Fox valley, Cliff's Insane Terrain etc. on open riding and practice days (not necessarily in that order) and get some experience and enter a GP or Hare scrambles when you feel ready. The biggest thing you'll need to get used to is breaking traction and learning how to use that and steering with the throttle as you get faster...The Club 57 class will help you understand that.
Good Luck.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
Using the Yamaha YZF and the WR as examples
bad example in my opinion. The WR is very similar to it's YZ counterpart engine/performance wise, and would require the same type of maintenance for a given type of riding. Same with the CRF-R models vs X models, and KTM SX vs XC and XC-W models.

a good comparison between trail bike and race bike would be:

TTR230 vs YZ or WR250
CRF230f vs CRF250R or 250X

unfortunately they don't make many bikes any more that fit directly in the middle of the play vs race spectrum. xr400 or kdx200 would be good examples that can be found used.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:18 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Just get a new CRF250R and ride the shit out of it and race it and be awesome at everything. It's easy.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

You're going to compare a TTR 230 to a WR 250? As a mount for casual trail riding only I'd agree but, if you want to ride a variety of trails AND competitive events the WR is far superior and much less maintainance intensive than a YZF MX bike. The YZF has a hotter cam and higher compression, a close ratio gearbox and ridden properly it must be "on the pipe" or in the RPM powerbamd where the WR is designed to be able to bop along a trail and to lug it if necessary. The WR actually comes in a fully street legal version. Yes...The WR will be more work intensive than a TTR230 but a TTR230 is what ol' Super Hunky of Dirt Bike Magazine fame called a "Foof" bike.............If you're going to opt for a TTR, look around for a TTR250. Problem there is they are getting hard to find since one hasn't been made since 2007 and those who have them are taking good care of them and hanging on to them! Either that or they sold 'em off a long time ago and bought WR's.

EDIT: The "detuning" you point out below IS the difference ...as is the cam and the gear ratios.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 03-08-2013 at 04:07 PM.
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
You're going to compare a TTR 230 to a WR 250? As a mount for casual trail riding only I'd agree but, if you want to ride a variety of trails AND competitive events the WR is far superior and much less maintainance intensive than a YZF MX bike. The YZF has a hotter cam and higher compression, a close ratio gearbox and ridden properly it must be "on the pipe" or in the RPM powerbamd where the WR is designed to be able to bop along a trail and to lug it if necessary. The WR actually comes in a fully street legal version. Yes...The WR will be more work intensive than a TTR230 but a TTR230 is what ol' Super Hunky of Dirt Bike Magazine fame called a "Foof" bike.............If you're going to opt for a TTR, look around for a TTR250. Problem there is they are getting hard to find since one hasn't been made since 2007 and those who have them are taking good care of them and hanging on to them! Either that or they sold 'em off a long time ago and bought WR's.

TTR = play bike
WR/YZ = race bike

The WR250f and WR450f are definitely not "much less maintenance" than a YZ, they're damn near the same bike. The WR450 uses the old YZ motor. Same Ti valves and hi-comp piston. different cam like you said, different gear ratios, and E-start. They come detuned stock (grey wire, throttle stop), but to say it's a big difference from the YZ is just plain wrong.

The street legal WR250R and WR250X are a different story altogether from the WR250f. completely different engine and chassis. heavy low tune dual sports.
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

the only thing that will improve your track-day career is ice riding, forget dirt or mx. I think the lighter the bike the better there....

btw: riding dirt indoors is expensive these days ...

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Save yourself the trouble of upgrading later and buy a CR500 or an XR650 .
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
Just get a new CRF250R and ride the shit out of it and race it and be awesome at everything. It's easy.
captain spandex is right on here, but a 06 or newer KX 250f or YZ250F , or a 07 or newer RMZ250 are damn fine bikes too, get good boots, like used alpinestars tech 6 - 7 - 8 or 10 , avoid the 3 or any other inferior boots, i have a couple helmets i would sell, 2 are brand new never worn, 1 L and 1 XL

and any day is trackday for MX, and only cost $25 , joliet or Fox Valley out by starved rock are good and close, out by rockford are some better tracks, i wouldnt worry about indorrs yet
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Depends how big you are . Motocross can get a little boring , consider a trail bike for dirt.
MX gets boring? your doing it wrong! i have been on it since 1987 and ive yet to be bored on a mx track, even at FVOR , if your bored, go a little faster and things will get exciting i promise
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Depends how big you are . Motocross can get a little boring .
The fuck it can????? - Buy a clean used 250 4 stroke for $1500 - $2K and rip the fucker - Slam that rear brake, slide the shit, dump the clutch out of the corners and jump the fuck out of anything Yep, boring.......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Bug

Oh and as a newb, stay away from Racine Indoor MX as to will just be rolling everything in 2nd gear - Slick too

Get a 2005 ish RM, YZ, CR, KX F model, watch the hours and wait for spring to learn, get a feel that hit the ice next season - MX is "a lot going on" as you are up and down shifting, slamming rear brake while slightly riding the front and starting small on jumps,

Go with Elroy for a day and he'll walk ya through everything - For a big fuck he knows his shit and will be patient with you - Start at Fox Valley Off Road (FVOR) as the have WIDE open areas you can learn the brakes and throttle on flat land - Then you can transition to the uneven stuff - When you are dialed int the bike and float over shit then rip a jump, land and rip a berm, there is no other riding like it

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

let us know how much you can spend, and we'll help you spend it! you should be able to get an 05 or older bike for well under 2K , 06 and newer start at 2K , i may know about a low cost 2005 250f, but if you are into it i would spend a little more and go 06 - 09
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
let us know how much you can spend, and we'll help you spend it! you should be able to get an 05 or older bike for well under 2K , 06 and newer start at 2K , i may know about a low cost 2005 250f, but if you are into it i would spend a little more and go 06 - 09
Dude just sell him one of your bikes, you have 43 of them.....

post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
dirk biking is awesome. so much cheaper than sport bikes. You can buy used and sell used and make money on bikes. I've sold 3 dirt bikes and made money on each one.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 PM
let's find some twisty's

Sportbike: 06 Speed Triple 04 fjr1300, 88 ex500, 96 dr350, 96 gs500, 05 yz250, 01 yz250, 91 kx500
Years Riding: killing bugs since 1976
How you found us: search

Quote:

Don't forget another $1000.00 in gear to.

it's not the fall that kills you, it's that sudden stop
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxvet57 View Post
Don't forget another $1000.00 in gear to.
For MX? - Bell Helmet = $100 - Goggles = $25 - Boots = $200 - Gloves = $30 - Pants = $100 - Add shipping and use eBay and you can get what you need for $500 total

post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
let's find some twisty's

Sportbike: 06 Speed Triple 04 fjr1300, 88 ex500, 96 dr350, 96 gs500, 05 yz250, 01 yz250, 91 kx500
Years Riding: killing bugs since 1976
How you found us: search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
For MX? - Bell Helmet = $100 - Goggles = $25 - Boots = $200 - Gloves = $30 - Pants = $100 - Add shipping and use eBay and you can get what you need for $500 total

Then i guess safety isn't an issue.

it's not the fall that kills you, it's that sudden stop
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxvet57 View Post
Then i guess safety isn't an issue.
What part of the above is a cheap bit? - You can get a $200 Bell Helmet for $100 on close out a Motorcycle Superstore all day and other than spending $800 on a 6D lid, for a beginner, the Bell is fine - Everything else is standard prices amigo - Dirt Gear is not expensive - You can spend $100 on a 661 chest protector if you don't like roost but not needed - Some wear knee pads, some don't - I never liked them - Neck Brace if you are REALLY into safety but never wore one and crashed a ton - So, like I said, as a beginner who is learning and taking it easy, $500 and eBay will work

post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

dont ride without knee protection, i use skateboard/rollerblade style kneepads under the riding pants , thats all you need
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Bug

Quote:
dont ride without knee protection, i use skateboard/rollerblade style kneepads under the riding pants , thats all you need
Never had an issue without them and went over the bars quite a few times

post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:23 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

I ride with flip flops and a baseball hat and never gotten hurt yet.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

u have to be going over 2mph for them to really shine

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys sorry I didn't reply sooner, been super busy with work and family stuff.
But I was looking to maybe spend around 2k for a bike.

So dirt bike motors need to constantly be rebuilt?
Is this something the average person can do?
I had to tear into my SV and take off the front cylinder and I do my own valve adjustments and all that so I am somewhat familiar with working inside a motor.

I have been looking on craigslist at bikes and I see that early 2000's are going for like $1200, it seems to good to be true.

I am 5'10 150 pounds so what is a good bike for me to start with?
Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode