The latest addition finding ways to get slower - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Dirt Bike Alley From 50's on up, this is the place to chat.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

The latest addition finding ways to get slower

I've been interested in trials for a while now to gain more skills. I had only had a chance to ride one for about 5 minutes or so at a local riding spot. Then last weekend the opportunity arose to spend some decent time on a Sherco 125 which was fantastic and had me fully convinced I wanted a trials bike. So the search began. I looked at the shercos and others that were fully dedicated competition trials bikes. Then I ran a crossed the gas gas tax randonne 200. The basic design and air cooled motor were appealing to me for a variety of reasons. First and foremost I have enough maintenance to do with the KTM and I'm just not a big fan of 2 strokes. I've had them I love the weight of them but I just personally don't like the jetting and tuning aspect of them. More power to those of you that can do this. Just not for me.

So I found this gas gas TX 200 Randonne thing. I liked the idea that my wife and son could both ride it either as a trials bike or as a trail bike. So now that I have it what's it like? Well first of all it is not a competition trials bike. It is good at what it's intended for though.

What I really was worried about and was pleasantly surprised by was how well this bike wheelies. No not to show off but for practical purposes like getting over logs and such. This is a skill I've never been able to acquire and already broke the license plate holder off my KTM trying to learn. This bike is very much like a true trials bike in that sense. Just compress the suspension and on rebound a small blip of throttle and the front wheel comes right up.

It's definitely a bit more difficult than the Sherco to do the really slow speed turns. But I'm confident that this will only force me to gain better balance and control. So for my level it works great as a trials bike and is teaching me what I want to learn.

Now for the trail bike aspect. The shifter in my opinion is just the right distance to facilitate both forms of riding. Just far enough away to stay out of your way for trials riding but closer than the Sherco. This makes trail riding easier since you are shifting more. With the seat attached you can get your weight over the front end like you would on an enduro or MX bike. The seat is tall enough to ride comfortably but low enough to accommodate even the shortest of riders. My wife is 5'2" and fits easily yet at 5'11" for me it doesn't feel too cramped.

Brakes are good and miles better than the TTR's we've had in the past. Now add in the fact that it comes plated and is relatively cheap. In my opinion it's a nice little package that is tough to beat. That is if you can find one. I got lucky and a dealer within 2hrs of me had one in stock. But for anyone that is in the market for a cheap extremely versatile bike that can be ridden across disciplines I'd highly recommend this thing. Plus the durability of air cooled motors is just a huge plus in my opinion.

I love my high powered and high maintenance KTM but this little bike is a nice addition and good fun for riders of all ages, sizes and experience levels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.1 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
That thing looks like a blast!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohfugit View Post
That thing looks like a blast!
It is. Honestly I can't believe how much I enjoy riding such a simple machine. Of course I have to get into better shape. Riding trials uses more muscles and different ones than the other forms of riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Very cool!

Eric
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

Very cool. I would like to give one of those a try.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:24 AM

Sportbike: '12 KTM 150XC
Years Riding: .
How you found us: google

Nice!! I like that you have an option for a seat too. Looks like a pretty versatile bike.

-Chris
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

Is the bike quiet? I've read that if you are lucky enough to have some property with your home that trials bikes are quiet enough to ride at home. Any louder than the average lawn mower?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe racer

It's the same noise level as a TTR 125 with stock exhaust. Which isn't surprising since that's what the motor is. The biggest thing that makes a difference in terms of annoying the neighbors is your not winding it out constantly. It also doesn't rut up the ground like the KTM does. Lucky for me where I live I can ride both in the yard. Since our Kubota BX25 is a diesel and that's louder at 3k rpms than either of the bikes. Lol

Brilama if you get a chance definitely ride one. As soon as I had the chance 2 days later I bought this. Of course I was already kind of shopping for another bike anyway for my son to ride. If we're at the same place sometime you're welcome to give this one a go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode