October 2015 schedule - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Dirt Bike Alley From 50's on up, this is the place to chat.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Dave who?

Sportbike: All Suzuki, All the time. GSXR1000, RM250, JR50
Years Riding: Many
How you found us: Can't remember

October 2015 schedule

Rolling in to the busy time of the year. October always seems to be packed full of woods races. Here is what I have on my calendar. Potentially 6 races in 5 weeks! Woo Hoo!

Anyone else planning on making any of these?

Sunday 10/4/2015 - WFO Hare Scramble, Geneseo IL.
Sunday 10/11/2015 Muddobbers National Hare Scramble, Matthews IN.
Saturday 10/17/2015 FVOR Gran Prix.
Sunday 10/18/2015 FVOR Hare Scramble.
Sunday 10/25/2015 OMA/MXC Moose Run, Morrison IL.
Sunday 11/1/2015 GNCC Ironman, Crawfordsville IN.

Post up!

Dave

Make life challenging. Be the underdog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 02:51 PM
sv corners faster than r6

Sportbike: 09R6/13KTM 250xc race,SV1K,g1 sv proj.
Years Riding: >30 yrs
How you found us: Under a rock

No not really. Cranberry Bod enduro this Sunday, CCS road race Gingerman next weekend and BHF the following weekend. Two enduros in Oct and two in Nov. Dave - the muddobbers is an enduro. Might do the moose run.

SV88/SVR6/Steve sv23
CCS MW 88 AMA Enduro B 631

Last edited by fastsv650; 09-12-2015 at 09:13 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:01 AM

Sportbike: '12 KTM 150XC
Years Riding: .
How you found us: google

Man it's been busy the past two months. Think I've raced 7 out of the last 9 weeks. Canton HS is tomorrow btw. Well worth the drive down for that one. Awesome course!

As for Oct, I'm planning on the Geneseo and FVOR hare scrambles for sure. I hadn't heard about the Muddobbers national but want to look into that one now. Really want to do the Moose Run this year as well.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Dave who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman675 View Post
Man it's been busy the past two months. Think I've raced 7 out of the last 9 weeks. Canton HS is tomorrow btw. Well worth the drive down for that one. Awesome course!

As for Oct, I'm planning on the Geneseo and FVOR hare scrambles for sure. I hadn't heard about the Muddobbers national but want to look into that one now. Really want to do the Moose Run this year as well.

Moose Run was fun last year. Cold & wet but still a good race.

I've never done the national but thought it might be fun racing with the pro's. It's fun to do a BIG race from time to time.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotZuk? View Post
Moose Run was fun last year. Cold & wet but still a good race.

I've never done the national but thought it might be fun racing with the pro's. It's fun to do a BIG race from time to time.
As long as it doesn't rain the entire week leading up to it, I'm down for the Moose Run this year. Did you get 2nd last year in 30C? If so, nice job man.

As for the national, and maybe you already knew, but it looks like a closed course enduro. This is all I could find on it. http://www.muddobbersmc.org/images/F...rs%20Flyer.pdf

-Chris
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:03 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

Not all October but here are some additional upcoming events. BTW the trials events run a knobby class for anyone interested in trying it out you can ride against other Enduro bikes. One of the guys I ride with did the last one on his KTM 300 and did very well.

Trials: October 11th

Dual Sport: Saturday November 7th, Rain date Nov 14th

Bill Maxey Memorial Enduro: Sunday November 8th, Rain date Nov 15th
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:54 AM

Man Geneseo was awesome. Good mix of everything.

Don't think I'm going to do the national enduro in IN this weekend. Most likely going to Morrison with MXC Sunday. There's also a MAXC race down in Casey Saturday. Love the riding there but not sure if I'm down for the long drive.

-Chris
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:09 AM

Well I'm out of the muddobers. Recent unemployment, combined with a bad right wrist (always keep brake lever perch tight on R6) and a late Sat. night college hockey game I'm working, killed that. Unable to get refund for $57 entry from club....sucks.

SV88/SVR6/Steve sv23
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Dave who?

Quote:
Man Geneseo was awesome. Good mix of everything.

Don't think I'm going to do the national enduro in IN this weekend. Most likely going to Morrison with MXC Sunday. There's also a MAXC race down in Casey Saturday. Love the riding there but not sure if I'm down for the long drive.
Geneseo was a great time. Trail conditions were perfect and so was the weather. I was doing ok until I flipped the bike at the top of the sand hill early in the race. It took a few minutes to get it started back up. Turns out I had sand packed in the pipe. While getting it all straightened out I got passed by a bunch of people and wasn't able to catch most of them. All in all is was a good race but I had my worst finish of the year.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Dave who?

For anyone else planning on heading down for the Muddobbers national this weekend don't bother unless you are already pre-registered. I emailed the promoter earlier this week and they are full. At this point, your only hope is a drawing for any spots that didn't show up. Their maximum is actually 400 riders according to the web site. Looks like I'll be doing house work and watching football this Sunday like everyone else in America. Not the worst thing I guess?

David, we are full, with 500 riders, if you want to ride you will have to show up on Sat. evening or Sunday morning and pay your entry fee to get on the waiting list, then at 8:15 any riders not showing up, their rider # will be put in a box and you will do a blind draw for your rider #.

Doug

Last edited by GotZuk?; 10-09-2015 at 10:49 AM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 01:40 PM

So about the Moose Run, I'm curious about the process of getting my fuel can to the fuel stop. Is there a fuel truck that will trailer it there from the pits or did you have to drive it there yourself?

Also, I've seen mention that the loop will be near 50 miles this year.

-Chris
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Sportbike: ZX9R
Years Riding: 10+ years
How you found us: Gixxer Tony

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1shadyninja
Quote:
Rolling in to the busy time of the year.
Sunday 11/1/2015 GNCC Ironman, Crawfordsville IN.

Post up!

Dave

I'll be running the AMSOIL booth at Ironman again this year. Stop by and say Hi

We should have some trinkets to pass out.

Our Company Facebook ==> http://on.fb.me/TYp7jw
First Place Oils
Check out what AMSOIL has for your bike!
See this post ----> https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...1&postcount=16
Click here for our CLSB SPECIAL!" https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...68#post2010368
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Dave who?

Quote:
So about the Moose Run, I'm curious about the process of getting my fuel can to the fuel stop. Is there a fuel truck that will trailer it there from the pits or did you have to drive it there yourself?

Also, I've seen mention that the loop will be near 50 miles this year.

I put on the oversized tank for that race so I didn't need to refuel. I probably could have used the stock Suzuki tank (2.1 gal I think) but it would have been close. Most of the KTM's have a slightly larger tank that looked to be perfect for this race. I don't think there was a refueling trailer like they have in the enduro races but I could have easily missed it. I do remember parents meeting their kids at a few open areas near the roads to refill the smaller bikes but it didn't look like an "official" refueling stop. I'm not familiar with the area so I wouldn't know where to drop the extra tank. Might try to email them?

The race ended up being about 2 hours from what I remember. If the FVOR races are any gage, I would have used something close to 2 gallons.

To be clear, there are actually two groups leaving the start line and racing at the same time. The pro's leave from the front rows and run two laps. The rest of us leave from the back rows and only run one lap. I wonder if the pro's end up racing 50 miles where the rest of the group races 25?

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Wow. 25 miles. That's very short. Probably not worth the drive out there.

SV88/SVR6/Steve sv23
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:21 AM

I've seen posts from OMA on their FB page that this years loop is near 50 miles. I was pretty sure that I saw last year was around 40ish but could be wrong. Here's the post from their FB page btw. Lots of good info on there and pretty cool seeing all of the old moose run pics. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Here's the flyer for more info. Looks like Bs and up are running 2 laps. http://www.unitedoffroadracing.com/1...un_Flyer15.jpg

Dave, I'll probably shoot them email to find out details on the gas stop and will post up what I find. Honestly, I don't know if I'll need it or not. I've done 3 hr hare scrambles on the stock 2.6 gal tank and still had a fair amount left but that was mostly single track. Just don't know with all the wot sections this course has. Leaf river is similar I would guess to the Moose Run with all of the open fields mixed with trails but that loop is near 30 miles. Unfortunately I can't remember what I had left after the LR loop.

-Chris
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:29 AM

Actually, here's the most recent post on the mileage/loops so there's no confusion.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote:
This Sunday !! Don't miss it !! 2 50 mile loops for Pro's A's and B's. 1 loop for C's Masters schoolboy.. ALL OFF ROAD.

-Chris
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Dave who?

Thanks for posting the FB link. I've always had trouble finding any information on this race other than the poster. So 1 or two 50 mile loops it seems. I did see confirmation of a gas stop half way but no details.

I'll be bringing a can and running the stock tank. The extra gallon is a lot to carry if it's not needed. The were a lot of WOT field crossings last year so that helps eat up the 50 miles. I'm going to guess 3-5 miles of open fields connecting the wooded sections. It's a good chance to catch your breath and freeze your wet hands after the river crossings. Consider bringing an extra set of gloves just in case.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Dave who?

The promoter emailed me back with the following:

About 45 mi loop. No gas truck gas stop approx 20 mi out

I don't know the area and really don't have a good way to get a can out to the gas stop before the race. I'm just going to run the larger tank and not worry about it.

Rain Friday night and Sunday morning. Hope it dries out enough by Sunday or it could get messy.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 PM

Man what an adventure. I'm still not sure what to think of it. After the race I was thinking there's no way I'm coming back to do this again next year. Now 24hrs later I'm getting the itch to do it again. Toughest race I've ever done and will probably ever do but man it was still a lot of fun.

I did finish and that was my main goal. I got stuck several times in the mud but the worst of it was drowning the bike at the final creek crossing only a couple miles from the finish. It was deep out in the middle and the bike just slipped out from underneath me on the rocks before I could get a foot down. Bike died and locked up right away. I had to push it over to a small island to work on it, all within view of 40 some spectators. It sucked big time. Probably spent 30-40 min working on it before I was able to keep it running and get out of there. Believe I was around 3rd or 4th in Vet C before the creek and then fell back to 7th by the time I got out.

Here's a pic of Nick Fahringer in the same creek right where I went down.

And some pics a buddy of mine took.

-Chris
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 PM

How'd it go for you Dave?

-Chris
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Dave who?

Quote:
How'd it go for you Dave?
Terrible.
I started off the line slow but caught up pretty quickly to the lead pack. Then I got knocked down in the woods and had trouble getting the bike started back up. Once I got it going, I again made up some good ground on the group. Then... proceeded to go through what I thought was the typical ravine crossing, only to find myself and the bike completely submerged under water. My front tire dug in and I went over the handlebars while the bike flipped over on to my back. When I stood up, the water was above my waste and the bike was at the bottom. It took four spectators and a quad to get the bike out. They loaned me a pair of pliers to remove the spark plug and drain the water from the cylinder and exhaust. After close to an hour, and with the help of the quad pulling me through the fields I was able to start the bike. It ran like shit of course and didn't want to idle on it's own. The soaked filter, exhaust and carb vent lines probably had something to do with it. I rode around in the fields a while hoping to get it all cleaned out but it still wasn't running right. The throttle tube started sticking from the drying mud. My Recluse clutch wasn't adjusted right and it was acting up since I had to relieve the tension for the bump start.

After all that, I took the road back to the parking lot, packed up and went home with my tail between my legs.

It was a very disappointing day. I had high hopes after finishing in second last year. Getting knocked out so early in the race was a real punch in the gut. I only finished 1/4 or 1/3 of the race. I hate to be a quitter but the hardest parts of the course were still in front of me. I knew they would be difficult in normal conditions and damn near impossible with a broken bike and exhausted rider.

Next year will be better!!!

Now time to fix the bike and prepare for the GNCC IronMan this weekend...... maybe.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Damn man that sucks. I would have done the same thing if I went through all of that that early in the race. No way I would have attempted the rest of the course without a solid running bike.

The right side crank seal ended up failing a little over halfway through the race too. I just replaced it about 4 hrs ago because it was leaking. Didn't burn a drop of gear oil at the last FVOR hare scramble which was right after I replaced it. Possible that I didn't get it installed perfectly straight but odds are the the main bearings are on their way out or at least the RHS. So with that and also ingesting the dirty water etc, I decided to pull the motor and drop it off with TZR. Can't make Ironman but hoping to have it back next week so that I can make the Leaf River DS Saturday and then the Enduro on Sunday.

-Chris
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 PM

Sportbike: ZX9R
Years Riding: 10+ years
How you found us: Gixxer Tony

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1shadyninja
Quote:
Terrible.

Next year will be better!!!

Now time to fix the bike and prepare for the GNCC IronMan this weekend...... maybe.
Looks like it will be wet Sat for the ATV/UTV guys, but Sunday only has 10% chance of rain.

Our Company Facebook ==> http://on.fb.me/TYp7jw
First Place Oils
Check out what AMSOIL has for your bike!
See this post ----> https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...1&postcount=16
Click here for our CLSB SPECIAL!" https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...68#post2010368
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsv650 View Post
Wow. 25 miles. That's very short. Probably not worth the drive out there.
Totally! 25 miles of the moose run! B class enduro guys don't have time for girly events like that!

Eric
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

signed up for day in the dirt tgiving weekend, at glen Helen, probably be the biggest race ive ever done, 1 GP each day fri-sat-sun

http://dayinthedirt.com/home

my friend got a vendor booth for Evans coolant and a motorhome and caming spot for the weekend, gonna be a so-cal party!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode