helping out a homeless person v.1.02 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Charity events This forum is dedicated to the numerous charity events that our members are involved in. Please visit this forum often and do what you can to help out, Only you can make a difference.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
helping out a homeless person v.1.02

one of my friends on another board has ran into a homless guy...long story short, the guy is really friendly and had quite a bit of hard luck...so my buddy ray on an impulse decided to talk to this guy , get his life story (without digging too deep into his past to offend him), and see if he could use a helping hand...

so he took questions with him from a local chicago board called chitownracing.com that poeple wanted to REALLY know about him like for example:

QUESTIONS

1. How old are you?

2. What is your name?

3. Where are you originally from?

4. Are you a veteran?

5. Can you tell me about your life growing up?

6. How long has he been homeless?

7. How did he become homeless?

8. Did you try to pull your self out of this situation and get back on your feet?

9. Do you have family? Are they still alive? Do you keep contact with them?

10. Have you ever been married?
you want people to know about you, what would it be?

there is over 40 questions that were asked to the guy and the audio download is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M3AEPIWH

basically as of right now, ray is looking to see if the guy wants to respond after thinking about getting helped out and offers of part time work, clothing, $$ and other things have come up...and i'm looking to see if anyone here would (if the guy really wants the help) want to contribute something to help this guy out...this is a local guy with one of our local people...

ray is due to talk to him late tonight after he gets finished working out (about 2am) when he works out...if anyone might be interested in contributing anything to help this guy out (again, is he is interested in a helping hand) then your more then welcome to help out...he had gotten involved with drugs, but beat them, and spent time in prison, and cant stand prison...he lost all his i.d's...nothing is set in stone, but i figured i would reach out to everyone here and see what you thought...im gonna help this guy out anyway i can if he wants it...he used to even work for the cha in chicago...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

sounds like your heart is in the right place, but how about we teach him to fish instead of just giving him fish?

place him in touch with the system, get a social worker to find him something he's good at so he can start rebuilding his life.

in most cases I've seen, people just don't know where to go or how to get started when seeking assistance. My local church has people that specialize in helping people like this that are down on their luck. I'm sure that there are similar programs closer to where he is located.

BTW, where is he located? Is he close to the NW 'burbs? i couldn't d/l that file...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
we are not just giving him fish ernie...he hangs out over by maxwell st and halsted , university village area...

From what I hear, this person has himself together, but has made some bad decisions in his past & who hasn't???
He regrets what he has done, but grateful to be out of jail even if it means he is homeless. That is not something you see everyday…even though he has a background it will extremely hard to get a job w/out them doing a background check. The craziest thing about EJ is that he has been homeless for 14 years but remains to be humble and keep his faith in his God. Hell, it is people that have home, cars, & great jobs do not even have the heart as he has. It takes a lot of will power and strength to make it out in the streets and he has survived…what is so crazy are all the songs playing in the background of the interview all of them have been inspirational songs for motivation. I feel that he wants and should be helped!
It is all in his hands as too if he wants us to help him. I hope that we all can learn from each other even though we all are different...we still are the same.

now as far as helping him out...this isnt going to be about tossing this guy cash and then let it go...he only has the clothes on his back, so we are talking about clothes for him, possably a place to get cleaned up at for a bit (hotel,motel etc...) and the chances to offer the guy part time jobs to do work when its needed...he lost all of his i.d's...so he will need assistance in getting those all back also...and there is already a line from a shitload of us on the other site that want to help him out if he wants it...we are not handing him everything but giving him an opportunity to help himself if he is willing to take it...

the original link is here:
http://www.chitownracing.com/forums/...ad.php?t=78613

and here is some info that ray originally put up when this all started...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask a Homeless Man ANYTHING? V1.01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I go to the gym every night for a while, the first night this homeless black guy asked for some food or a dollar so he could buy a sandwich. I thought ya ok , probally getting drugs or liquior so I told him I don't bring my walet to the gym, he said "its ok, I understand, godbless".

Then I saw him go through the garbage at the restaurant accross the way and find some food, he sat and ate it, then didn't bug anyone all night as I looked on. He just sat there, read his book, and enjoyed his food.

Over the past month he doesn't ask for money anymore, he just says hello and waves when he sees me in the gym. I see him outside read his book (bible), and he doesn't bug anyone, occasionally goes to the garabage can behind the nice restaurants and gets some uneaten food. He started to come by specially when I work out and watches and cheers me on during heavy lifts. Its kinda amusing, when I leave he says, "good night, godbless." He doesn't ask for money or anything since that first day.

So tonight on my way out I asked him if he wants to get food tommorow. He asked if I was serious. I said sure, but I wanta hear his life story. He agreed.

This is where CTR comes into play. Post your questions, I will ask him, I will record the convo and post the Mp3 convo. If you ever wondered or wanted to ask someone homeless a question, here is your chance.

CLIFFS:

I meet a homeless guy, he doesnt ask for money, nice guy, Im taking him to lunch accross the street to interview him on his life story. Post your questions, Il ask, than post the mp3 of it.

AUDIO :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M3AEPIWH
----------------------------------------------------------------------

i guess people can take this for what they feel its worth...the basics of the story still is a poor guy who made mistakes, is divorced, hasnt seen his kids in forever, got involved with drugs, went to prison 3 times cause of stupid mistakes and has been homeless for 14 years cause he learned his lesson the hard way...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Very stand up thing to do on your part. If the guy is truly sincere I wish him all the best to start over again. Everyone deserves a second chance. Just be careful with your personal info and how close you get with him, folks who have had previous drug problems can be quite the actors and hit you when your guard is down. I am sure this is not the case but just watch out. Good karma coming your way.
We all tend to think that we could never ever end up on hard times but the reality is that no matter how smart, how well you invest or how good of a job you have we can all become powerless if the correct series of unfortunate events hit all at once. Job loss, divorce, major medical problems when not having medical insurance. This is just one recipe for how the mighty can fall homeless. Luckily most of us have friends and family that can help us out on on times but there are the unfortunate few that do not.
That being said, I am no bleeding heart to think all the homeless are victims. I would guess that a huge number are there for a reason and continually have made bad or stupid choices and when given a chance to pull themselves up have shunned the idea of working to change things.
Good luck.

Under200
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:38 AM
So long San Diego :(

Sportbike: '09 Speed Triple
Years Riding: Since 07/01/06
How you found us: Your Mom told me

Wow, seems like the guy is really sincere on getting his life back together. I had a guy come up to me outside union station that weekend I got rear ended while I was wiating for a train. He asked for money of course at first, then walked away after I told him I didn't have any spare change. He walked about 1/2 way down the street, comes back and starts blabbling about how he used to do this and that, proceeds to pull a pint of skol out and chug about half of it. I'm like "glad I didn't give that guy any money." When I'm feeling generous, If there's a McDonalds Near I usually go in and buy em a burger, that way I now at least it was a donation well spent. The ONLY guys I ever give money too are the guys that are missing limbs who are probably veterans. It kills me to see guys that fought for our country living on the street. I know the gov. can only do so much, but I think they should take a little better care of it's veterans.

Brandon
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

Kids in back seats cause accidents, Accidents in Back seats cause kids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode