Helping a local Soup Kitchen - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Charity events This forum is dedicated to the numerous charity events that our members are involved in. Please visit this forum often and do what you can to help out, Only you can make a difference.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Talking Helping a local Soup Kitchen

I have always been leary about donating to cause because of the uncertainty of where it really ends up and who it helps out. After reading this and driving by and checking out the place I felt ok about helping out... Here's a good read about it and let it go from there... I dropped off some stuff today and plan to do more soon..

***Impact on local People***

Soup kitchen running dry

September 12, 2009

With economy down and unemployment up, Catholic Charities' Shepherd's Table has seen donations drop and demand grow.

The Joliet soup kitchen, at 611 E. Cass St., serves about 100 people a day, serving 20 percent more people than usual in July and August.

Their ability to feed the hungry and homeless of Will County is threatened by bare shelves. The kitchen has run out of food.

"It takes at least 80 cans of vegetables to feed the lunchtime crowd each day," said kitchen coordinator Gail Flatness, who prides herself on providing healthy and tasty meals. "The last thing someone in our community should have to worry about is getting a good meal, especially during tough times."

The all-volunteer program, which serves more than 4,100 meals a month, relies on donations and deliveries from the Northern Illinois Food bank. But with much of the country in a similar situation, the food bank can't supply enough to feed those who need the service here.

"This place is more than a soup kitchen. It's a place where so many people come to escape the realities of poverty," said Pam Kostecki, division director for community services at Catholic Charities.

Exelon is stepping up. The company will host food drives at all of its Will County locations next week to benefit Daybreak Shelter and Shepherd's Table. To help immediately, Susan Geist and other Exelon employees bought canned goods and took them to the soup kitchen Friday.
"We learned about this need from United Way and knew we had to do something about it," Geist said. The company has also made a commitment to do additional food drives throughout the year.

Donations of canned vegetables, canned fruit, canned tuna and chicken, and coffee can be dropped off at Catholic Charities Daybreak Center and Shepherd's Table at 611 E. Cass St. in Joliet. Donations will be accepted from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the main doors of Daybreak Center. From 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., donations can be dropped off in the rear of the building at the entrance to Shepherd's Table.

For more information, call Jennifer Wilsterman at 815-774-4663, ext. 3115

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 02:56 AM

Sportbike: CBR1000/GSXR1000
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Buddy

Send a message via MSN to BFLY
John,
This is a real issue all around and comend you for bring this to the front. I to have given my time and wish there was more I could do for the others out there.

過労死
--------------------------------------------
Brian
Nesba #98
CBR1000
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Thank you sir. I just get aggravated with the infomercials about 50cents a day will help from movie stars, damn help here where you can make an immediate impact. Now I dont want to turn this into a debate, I want to help here at home in "MY TOWN" So I am gonna...

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

You can also help a wider audience by donating cans of food the the food bank mentioned in the same article. This reminds me that have not done that in a while.

Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Catholic Charities is helping out a friend of a friend that lost everything in a fire recently. Her biggest need was clothing so she could go back to work. They helped her and her teen aged daughter with clothing, food, and now they are getting them furniture also. They do a great service in the community.

I don't ride, I cook!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode