Yep, Another Cell Thread - Android Related - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Yep, Another Cell Thread - Android Related

Okay, I carry the Palm Pixi from Sprint and it is by far the best phone I have ever carried - Fast Internet - Full Keyboard and Touch Screen - Palm's WebOS is SOLID - Good Batt Life - 1 day hard use 2 day normal use - Small and lightweight - Cool Stone Charger - 5 stars all the way around

Enter the Samsung Moment running Android - A friend of mine went to Oprah on Friday and got this phone for free - She has the Droid from Moto on Verizon and loves it and has no plans of switching - She gave me the Samsung but I love my Pixi

My question to you fucks is what is so hip about the Android OS? - I am hesitant to switch to it as I have zero problems with my Palm - Side by side, the Features match up - Size of the Pixi is smaller and the Samsung does have the 3.2 Cam vs the Pixi 2.0 but other than that, what am I missing by not going Android OS? - I am not one to dwnld games for the phone and such and my App usage is limited as I like to keep my phone lite and lean on Apps for bester performance

Why Android? - Other than the Pxix having the worst name EVER for a phone

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"

Last edited by Bug; 02-28-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
If you aren't into "tweaking" your phone and prefer it to just work out of the box, I wouldn't worry about Android. It's really cool if you are into apps and modifying the phone to really suit your needs/wants. It's open source so developers can do a lot more with it than say the iphone.

But, if the Pixi suits your needs and you are happy with it, I wouldn't switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Sportbike: 06 Ninja zx636
Years Riding: 6 years
How you found us: no

Send a message via AIM to Richfiero
I have played with both OS. The Android has more apps and has google behind it. The Web OS has less apps but is more simple to use, and its more fluid from going app to app and has better multi tasking. Android you have to manually close the app. web OS you just swipe to close. Palm has got it great now and Android still needs some work.

06 Sunburst Orange Ninja Zx6r, 06 1250 Sportster.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Here is a great review of the OSs
http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...ing-droid.html

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
Dibs on the Pixi. Gonna get one for the wife soon

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Sportbike: couple braaapers
Years Riding: 13 street years
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via AIM to DRZ
I ♥ my android

Take it to the STREETS!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Never played with the Palm but I've heard a lot of good things about the OS. Not sure how it stacks up against the Android but I came from a Blackberry and it is leaps and bounds better than that.

I like how the Android OS seamlessly integrates with all of Googles products like GMail, Google Maps, Google Talk, Calender etc. All my contacts are synced with my contacts in my GMail. There's no need to download and install an additional app to your PC to load and sync stuff from your phone to your PC like Apple and BB. Just plug into your PC via USB cable and drag and drop shit.

As for manually closing apps, yes that much is true. You can download an app that will close all those apps for you so that they are not running in the background.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Never played with the Palm but I've heard a lot of good things about the OS. Not sure how it stacks up against the Android but I came from a Blackberry and it is leaps and bounds better than that.

I like how the Android OS seamlessly integrates with all of Googles products like GMail, Google Maps, Google Talk, Calender etc. All my contacts are synced with my contacts in my GMail. There's no need to download and install an additional app to your PC to load and sync stuff from your phone to your PC like Apple and BB. Just plug into your PC via USB cable and drag and drop shit.

As for manually closing apps, yes that much is true. You can download an app that will close all those apps for you so that they are not running in the background.
To me is web OS is more refined. But I think when the new generation of android phones come out that they will have there shit perfect.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Palm also does the contacts thing with Gmail, also other online email programs the only other one I'm syncing with is yahoo. (no extra programs) Also Google calendars are synced and I can add to my calendars right from the pre. Maps works great. Google Talk the only thing lacking and thats cause google squashed us palm users out of jealousy. I can use the online app with no problems.

I'm the opposite of you I don't have any experience with Android OS, but I'm ultra happy with webOS so I'm not likely to jump ship anytime soon.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richfiero View Post
To me is web OS is more refined. But I think when the new generation of android phones come out that they will have there shit perfect.
Which Android phones have you compared it to? I would consider the Motorola Droid, Nexus One, HTC Eris as part of the new generation of Android phones. The older gen being the G1 and MyTouch.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 AM

I compared the palm pre to the droid.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Resident Slow Guy

I agree that the version that came with the Droid could use some work. Its got some bugs. The Nexus One has a newer version of the OS. Its only a matter of time before it is available for the Droid.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

If the Palm OS is working for you, there isn't a big reason to go Droid unless you want to import apps or really like the navigation. I left Palm years ago as the OS kept crashing. I'm Windows mobile based now, but am looking at changing once my CRM software gets certified with Droid.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Yeah, after reading up on this thread (thanks lads) and other articles on each, it appears to be a wash and the one thing that keeps me (well 2) on the Pixi is the size and the $$ I spent on the Stone Charging unit

Thx Lads - Gonna give her the phone back and tell her to ebay it

Or, if anyone wants to jump to Sprint, I have a brand new Samsung Moment running Droid that I can ask her if she wants to sell

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Bug

I gotta say, I have been watching vids on this phone and am thinking about it now - Looks like it might be over kill but do like the bigger screen - But of course, that comes with a bigger phone - The Pixi is soooo light and small and does what I need as my needs are simple - Just wondering what i might be missing

Oh and I guess I would mis my Charging Stone - THAT is tits

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

Bug I want that phone. If she sells it let me know man. Im very interested

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
Bug I want that phone. If she sells it let me know man. Im very interested
Okay - All I did was open the sleeve that it came in - Everything else is still sealed and all the protective film is still on it - Have not even opened the manuals or battery packings

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM

Ok thats fine. If she wants to sell it let me know a price. I got paypal ready or if its close enough meet up with cash. Im southside at i80/94 so getting up north can be a hassle. Prefer to have it shipped and of course il cover everything.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
man i wanna upgrade, but i love my BB..

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Ok thats fine. If she wants to sell it let me know a price. I got paypal ready or if its close enough meet up with cash. Im southside at i80/94 so getting up north can be a hassle. Prefer to have it shipped and of course il cover everything.
I'll ask but shipping and paypal stuff, she'll just tell ME to deal with it and give her the cash

I'll let you know - I like what I hear about the Batt Life of the Moment but am also not sure I want to hassle with learning a new phone - I just upgraded the OS on the Pixi and it does seem faster but the jury is still out on the Batt Life being better - I am not a hard core user though - At least not of the phone - WAH WAAAAAAH

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Just stop at usps and get one of those flat rate boxes. In and out of the place in 2 minutes.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

Thomas Jefferson
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Just stop at usps and get one of those flat rate boxes. In and out of the place in 2 minutes.
Let me see what she wants to do - They are going for about $300.00 all day on ebay and new w/out a contract for $480

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 PM
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
android has tons of apps. Personally coming from Windows Mobile Android is great.

Russ
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Okay, I just got a hold of her and she skooled me when I told her that i was not gonna switch and asked if she wanted to sell it - Then told her I had not touched it as it is worth more in the package - Her text response:

"Don't be Silly, switch over, try it out, u'll dig Droid, if not, switch back - If 1 of yer fucktard friends wants 2 give me less $$ bcuz U used it for 2 days & it's not all wrapped up pretty like, send m my way and I'll slap m & send m to skool - I got the fone for free and could give a fuck if I get $50 less bcuz U wanted to play with it - Just don't break it jackass - Call me l8r"

She rocks

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Clever Girl

I hate any one that uses the term "skool."

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
I hate any one that uses the term "skool."
Txt speak and shorter to type jackass

and anyone is one word

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
and anyone is one word
Damn it.

Quote:
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Damn it.
- Awesome

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 PM

So she wants full price for it?

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

Thomas Jefferson
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
So she wants full price for it?
She was not hip on selling it right away and wanted me to swap over and try it at least - I swapped over today - Soooooo much more to choose from but not sure if I need all of it - It is like having a tiny computer in your pocket - The Palm Pixi is easier to use but that is only because the Moment has WAY more to offer - Still not sold on it yet though and need to try it for a day or so

I do like the bigger screen but along with that comes a bigger phone of course - I also like the Pixi keypad better but am getting use to the Moment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode