Changing Licenses To Buy Handgun - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

Changing Licenses To Buy Handgun

So I'm interested in purchasing a handgun, but because I live in Crook County I can't buy one ... right?

Well I'm at college in Iowa currently, whats to say I can't go into the DMV with my passport and pick up an Iowa Driver's License and go buy a handgun here with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I thought the ban was only Oak Park and Chicago?

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
I live in Cook county and have one legally - I think it's just the city that's messed up like that.

Adam
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
I thought the ban was only Oak Park and Chicago?
Yeah that applies to me.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

That case (handgun ban) is actually up in the supreme court today I believe. Your permanant address would have to change in order to get a license in Iowa.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

You have to turn in your IL license.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets View Post
That case (handgun ban) is actually up in the supreme court today I believe. Your permanant address would have to change in order to get a license in Iowa.
I can't just walk in with a utility bill and a Passport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
You have to turn in your IL license.
and tell them I lost the IL license
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

I live in Chicago. I asked a gun shop owner this question. As long as you have a valid foid card you can buy any gun they sell legally. It will be illegal for you to store that gun in Chicago. So you can leave it in say Frankfort and be free and clear.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post
I live in Chicago. I asked a gun shop owner this question. As long as you have a valid foid card you can buy any gun they sell legally. It will be illegal for you to store that gun in Chicago. So you can leave it in say Frankfort and be free and clear.
Sweet, sounds good to me!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Well, at least we know the CLSB group rides are safe...as everyone"s packin'!!!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
Well, at least we know the CLSB group rides are safe...as everyone"s packin'!!!
i keep a SRAW under my passenger seat for when things get really hairy

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Pierced & tattooed freak!

Sportbike: 1999 GSX-R750
Years Riding: "None of your bleepin' business!" - Joe Pesci
How you found us: Read about it in a fortune cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets View Post
Yea, the case is being heard today, but they may not make a decision on it until June or so, and who knows when after that will laws concerning gun restrictions finally get overturned. Could be a while.

I'm not a fan of guns, but I find the gun ban for Chicago and Oak Park offensive, constitutionally speaking. It it were me in this situation and I wanted a gun that badly, I think I would move.

Dante: [to Randal] You never go ass-to-mouth!
Randal: [to Dante] Would you grow up!
Becky: [to Dante] OK, I'm only telling you this because we're friends, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go ass-to-mouth.
Randal: [chuckling] Ha! I knew it.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

As long as you have a valid F.O.I.D card you can buy a handgun in Illinois no matter where you live. You will have to comply with the waiting period and all of the state laws regarding purchase, but the address on your F.O.I.D or drivers license has no bearing on your legal right to buy a firearm in Illinois.
If you bring the gun into Chicago, you COULD be subject to violating the City ordinance of possesion, but that's a misdemeanor and as long as you are transporting the weapon in accordance with state law, the worst that could befall you is a fine. They could confiscate the gun, but as long as you are in compliance with state law they would have to return your property to you.
It's a gray area...most Chicago Cops I know would only cite you for violations if you were doing something stupid, like transporting the gun loaded or within reach of the driver etc. Most handgun owners I know who live in Chicago who have handguns they use for sport carry the guns unloaded in locked bags or cases and locked in their trunk. I've never heard of anyone beng cited or arrested for Chicago gun ordinance violations who have traveled to and from the range that way.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
As long as you have a valid F.O.I.D card you can buy a handgun in Illinois no matter where you live. You will have to comply with the waiting period and all of the state laws regarding purchase, but the address on your F.O.I.D or drivers license has no bearing on your legal right to buy a firearm in Illinois.
If you bring the gun into Chicago, you COULD be subject to violating the City ordinance of possesion, but that's a misdemeanor and as long as you are transporting the weapon in accordance with state law, the worst that could befall you is a fine. They could confiscate the gun, but as long as you are in compliance with state law they would have to return your property to you.
It's a gray area...most Chicago Cops I know would only cite you for violations if you were doing something stupid, like transporting the gun loaded or within reach of the driver etc. Most handgun owners I know who live in Chicago who have handguns they use for sport carry the guns unloaded in locked bags or cases and locked in their trunk. I've never heard of anyone beng cited or arrested for Chicago gun ordinance violations who have traveled to and from the range that way.

Question. Lets say they confiscate the gun. Then you have to pay your fine, go to the station and pick it up? So when you leave the station they snag you again for the same offense? Or in theory they could?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
hmmm, being deceptive on your place of residency in order to obtain a firearm probably isn't the best of roads to travel down.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
Question. Lets say they confiscate the gun. Then you have to pay your fine, go to the station and pick it up? So when you leave the station they snag you again for the same offense? Or in theory they could?
I don't think that would sit well with a judge that ordered them to return your property...Do you?

In the first place, if you are transporting a firearm in compliance with state law while holding a valid F.O.I.D, chances are even if you get stopped for a traffic violation the police would never know you have a gun with you unless you told them.
If the police are executing a search warrant on your home (that's the only way they're getting into my home)...I'd say that you have bigger problems than violating a city ordinance...AND If you're that concerned about it after the judge returns your property...take it out of the city and lock it in a gun shop locker.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 03-04-2010 at 02:24 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Thread killer

Sportbike: Honda SVT
Years Riding: 2003
How you found us: word of mouth

what happens if you, live in Chicago/Oak Park, legally own a handgun (w/foid card), keep it in your house (against city ordinance), and.......have to end up using it to take down (kill) a burglar in a home invasion/ self-defense situation?

Is it still misdemeanor at that point or does it a felony at that point?

-Maciek
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
you can transport a gun thru chicago, so i dont see the issue unless they are coming into your house. why are they in your house in the first place? you prolly have bigger problems.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSOLUTnie View Post
what happens if you, live in Chicago/Oak Park, legally own a handgun (w/foid card), keep it in your house (against city ordinance), and.......have to end up using it to take down (kill) a burglar in a home invasion/ self-defense situation?

Search for an identical case that happened in Wilmette.

Greg

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
you can transport a gun thru chicago, so i dont see the issue unless they are coming into your house. why are they in your house in the first place? you prolly have bigger problems.
One other thing to consider about storing handguns in chicago or oak park. Make sure you or your SO is not an attorney or an employee of the city. It could cost you your job as well.

Greg

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSOLUTnie View Post

According to a CPD detective who I posed a similar question to, if you otherwise legally own the gun and the investigation does not warrant any charges because you were defending yourself from an unknown attacker who illegally entered your home, chances are you would not even be charged on the city ordinance. In which case you would likely even have the gun returned to you.
Having a prior relationship with the person who was shot or inviting/allowing them into your home would complcate matters, but if the shooting still proved justifiable, the outcome would be the same.
A felony would only be charged if the shooting was deemed not justified or if the gun was possesed illegally i.e. stolen or serial # tampered or it tested in ballistics as having been used in a crime etc.
He also told me that if one should ever have to use an unregistered firearm to protect themself in their own home one should not answer any questions without an attorney present... and one should just repeat "I was in fear for my life...he (she) threatened my life."
As a sidenote, there is an inconsistency to the Chicago handgun ban. Anyone who had a gun before (approximately) 1982 and registered it and kept the registration current is not in violation of the city ordinance.
In my opinion (I'm not a lawyer)...that violates the equal treatment under the law part of the constitution.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Search for an identical case that happened in Wilmette.
Weren't there some questionable aspects to that case and didn't the shooter ultimately prevail in appeal?

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Thread killer

Sportbike: Honda SVT
Years Riding: 2003
How you found us: word of mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
According to a CPD detective who I posed a similar question to, if you otherwise legally own the gun and the investigation does not warrant any charges because you were defending yourself from an unknown attacker who illegally entered your home, chances are you would not even be charged on the city ordinance. In which case you would likely even have the gun returned to you.
Having a prior relationship with the person who was shot or inviting/allowing them into your home would complcate matters, but if the shooting still proved justifiable, the outcome would be the same.
A felony would only be charged if the shooting was deemed not justified or if the gun was possesed illegally i.e. stolen or serial # tampered or it tested in ballistics as having been used in a crime etc.
He also told me that if one should ever have to use an unregistered firearm to protect themself in their own home one should not answer any questions without an attorney present... and one should just repeat "I was in fear for my life...he (she) threatened my life."
As a sidenote, there is an inconsistency to the Chicago handgun ban. Anyone who had a gun before (approximately) 1982 and registered it and kept the registration current is not in violation of the city ordinance.
In my opinion (I'm not a lawyer)...that violates the equal treatment under the law part of the constitution.
Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

-Maciek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode