Drunk school bus driver - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Drunk school bus driver

she blew a .226! and she drove a bus just fine! thanks crazy!

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...om-school.html

Quote:

A Mt. Prospect school bus driver who smelled of alcohol to a co-worker managed to drop off 50 children before she was arrested Tuesday for being nearly three times over the legal limit for alcohol, police said.

_busdriverthis100x125.jpgWhen he learned of the co-worker's suspicions, a transportation supervisor in Mt. Prospect School District 57 tracked down the driver and called police, but allowed her to continue on her route until authorities arrived, school officials said Wednesday.

Betty Burden, 54, of the 1400 block of Park Drive, was arrested after police received a call at about around 3:45 p.m. Tuesday from the supervisor, Vincente Ramirez.

School board President Joseph Leane said another driver had smelled alcohol on Burden's breath at about 2:30 p.m. but did not report it to Ramirez until 3:30 p.m.

Officials said Ramirez immediately set out and caught up with Burden along her route from Lions Park Elementary School,where she was scheduled to pick up students being released at 3:35 p.m.

Ramirez boarded the bus, but because he could not verify that she had been drinking, he followed Burden along her route and called police within 15 minutes, officials said.

"There were children on the bus during the time she was under the influence," Supt. Elaine Aumiller said. "Thank God nothing happened."

Aumiller said that, because of legal restrictions, Ramirez did not confront Burden or ask if she'd had been drinking. Because he could not smell alcohol or detect physical signs that she was intoxicated, he instead called police and followed her along her bus route, Aumiller said.

Aumiller stood behind Ramirez, calling it a "tough administrative call." She said Ramirez might have waited to call police until the children were off the bus "so they don't become witness to an arrest."

"It's such a delicate decision, to make an accusation of this nature against somebody," she said. "You have to have compelling evidence that it is there and it wasn't there for him."

During Burden's appearance in bond court Wednesday, Assistant State's Attorney Mark Javier said Ramirez observed Burden driving erratically, though school officials denied that.

Ramirez could not be reached for comment.

On Wednesday, Burden was charged with felony aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol because she was transporting passengers under the age of 18 at the time, officials said.

She has been suspended from the school district without pay. School officials will recommend that Burden be fired during the next school board meeting, Aumiller said.

Burden had been driving the children from Lions Park School to their bus stops on bus No. 11. It was empty by the time she was pulled over while traveling north on River Road, just north of Euclid Avenue, police said.

Police said they "immediately smelled the odor of an alcoholic beverage on Burden's breath," noticed other physical signs of alcohol impairment and then administered field sobriety tests, which she failed.

Burden consented to a breath test, which registered her blood-alcohol level at .226 percent, officials said. The legal limit is .08 percent.

Burden admitted drinking vodka and orange juice before driving, prosecutors said.

She drove for the district worked from 1991 to 1999 and then again starting in August 2008.

Her husband, Michael Burden, declined comment when reached by phone.

Leane, the school board president, said Ramirez was following federal transportation regulations that indicate that a supervisor must have "actual knowledge" that a driver has been drinking in order to stop them from driving.

Many parents angrily questioned why Burden had been allowed to drive her route but declined to comment on the record.

Parent Dawn Byrne, who learned of the incident on Wednesday through an automated message, said she was surprised to hear that regulations would keep an administrator from stopping a suspected drunk driver.

"I wouldn't appreciate that as a parent only because if someone's questioning it, you would think they have to take full responsibility at that time to make sure our children our safe," said Byrne, who has two children in the district. "It's all about the kid's safety, not how he's following procedure."

A statement posted on the District 57 Web site says: "Ms. Burden has passed each of the random drug tests we require of all of our bus drivers. However, it is clear to us that our trust has been betrayed, and we offer our deepest apologies to the families affected by this incident. We are outraged that our students were subjected to this misconduct, and we are grateful that no one was injured as a result."

Burden is scheduled to appear in court April 1.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
"How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing."

Chris
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

that's a professional.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Mmmmmm....

Sportbike: RIP Rsux

Send a message via AIM to Pinkrider
I'm curious to know what legal restrictions prevent a supervisor from asking the driver whether they are intoxicated, especially when there was a complaint about it from a co-worker.

Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard wrapped in tin foil.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: Its my first time ;)
How you found us: Leghumpers Anonymous

i love this story. So you CAN drink and drive but only if your carrying a bus load of children.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Obviously she had a tolerance.
I don't see the problem here... Sounds like she had everything under control
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

That bitch knows how to party!

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Nice.

One time when I was on a field trip our bus's mirror hit the mirror of an oncoming truck. The truck driver called the cops who then pulled the bus over and arrested the driver because he had warrants .
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

How the hell was she conscious?? Wow.

My personal best was .30 Followed by a hospital visit and stay. Alcohol poisoning freshman year. The doc said .30 is death/coma somehow I cheated both. Thanks to the iv overnight no hangover, parents were pissed that I didn't get to pay for my stupidity.

Under200
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

lucky she didn't kill anyone in the hour they waited to report her.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Mmmmmm....

Sportbike: RIP Rsux

Send a message via AIM to Pinkrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post

My personal best was .30 Followed by a hospital visit and stay. Alcohol poisoning freshman year. The doc said .30 is death/coma somehow I cheated both. Thanks to the iv overnight no hangover, parents were pissed that I didn't get to pay for my stupidity.

I'm assuming she must be a long time alcoholic that has built up a huge tolerance. I researched alcoholism once and I read that long term alcoholics have to be what most of us consider drunk just to function at a normal rate. She probably felt fine.

Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard wrapped in tin foil.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Rice Rice Baby

Sportbike: 2001 Honda CBR F4i
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: Roommate, Member referral

Send a message via AIM to tmanana

Krunk Bus

I'll tell you why we make fun of midgets: We're not afraid of them.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post

i had a friend in college who got us a brethalyzer to play with. we routinely maxed it out at .3 in the morning after we woke up and made breakfast.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

I would totally sue the supervisor and the co-worker for not reporting it earlier. But that's only because I could use the cash.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
I would totally sue the supervisor and the co-worker for not reporting it earlier. But that's only because I could use the cash.
who's responsible for the policy of having to have actual knowledge?

and who is responsible if this had turned bad? considering a co-worker reported it and her supv. "inspected" the situation and didn't remove her from her post? the person/body who wrote/adopted the policy or the person who acted upon it?

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
who's responsible for the policy of having to have actual knowledge?

and who is responsible if this had turned bad? considering a co-worker reported it and her supv. "inspected" the situation and didn't remove her from her post? the person/body who wrote/adopted the policy or the person who acted upon it?
I can understand one person delayingreporting it, but two people? Shame on them. It's not like ol' Bettie Burden was on the fast track to corporate successor she was a preacher or anything. Who givess a f* is she dislikes you for mistakenly reporting her, and who gives a f*is the kids see their bus driver pulled over? It's sure a hell of a lot better than burying your child.

In a normal situation, no one is responsible except for the driver, but the second the other players here suspected alcohol, they took on the responsibility to report it.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Mogwai

Sportbike: The one I ride.
Years Riding: enough.
How you found us: insomnia.

Send a message via Skype™ to Stephiroth
Quote:
A lawsuit wouldn't even be worthwhile, just cash-hungry. Money would probably NOT come from the supervisor and/or co-worker, and you'd have to include the school district in that lawsuit to get any meaningful sum from it. In the end, it hurts your child's education via cuts in spending while at the same time you're essentially be paying for your own lawsuit through new fees to district residents.

13 Street Triple 675- Bluebarry
09 Ninja 250r- track

Resident Lube Expert.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Ride Naked

Quote:
the second the other players here suspected alcohol, they took on the responsibility to report it.
right, that's what i'm saying. they should have reported it. the supv should have taken her off the bus when he got there. but because of the policy he didn't. so is the policy maker responsible for that, or is the person who followed SOP at fault? If something bad had happened where is blame placed. I know I have my opinion on the matter, but...legally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephiroth View Post
A lawsuit wouldn't even be worthwhile, just cash-hungry. Money would probably NOT come from the supervisor and/or co-worker, and you'd have to include the school district in that lawsuit to get any meaningful sum from it. In the end, it hurts your child's education via cuts in spending while at the same time you're essentially be paying for your own lawsuit through new fees to district residents.

I would include everyone on the suit, if it were me. Driver, supv, school board, state board of education. I would do it if I were the parent of a child on that bus even now when they didn't get hurt. Only thing I would be asking for now is that the policy is changed to make more sense.

Quote:
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Mogwai

Sportbike: The one I ride.
Years Riding: enough.
How you found us: insomnia.

Send a message via Skype™ to Stephiroth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
Only thing I would be asking for now is that the policy is changed to make more sense.
^ this, I agree with. Bus driver lady is going to get screwed anyway and probably won't have the money (since it's FELONY aggravated driving it'll probably last on her record) and asking for money is just going to hurt the district your child is getting their education from.

13 Street Triple 675- Bluebarry
09 Ninja 250r- track

Resident Lube Expert.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Big bro had a .3 and drove home. A few hours later my mom found him passed out, could not wake him, and dialed 911. That boy is a career alchy.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Wow, if I was a parent of one of the kids I'd be pissed.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

the drunk driver always survives
the drunk driver driving a bus generally wins in a collision
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
School admin is so worried about CYA that they let a drunk women drive off with a bus full of kids? Nice.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google

Effects of blood alcohol concentration
Blood alcohol concentration, mg/dl Clinical effects
20-50 Diminished fine motor coordination
50-100 Impaired judgement; impaired coordination
100-150 Difficulty with gait and balance
150-250 Lethargy; difficulty sitting upright without assistance
300 (=.3 blow) Coma in the non-habituated drinker
400 Respiratory depression

Reproduced with permission from: Marx, JA. Rosen's emergency medicine: concepts and clinical practice, 5th ed, Mosby, Inc., St. Louis 2002. p. 2513. Copyright 2002 Elsevier.

she was obviously a habitual drinker - these levels are for nonhabituated drinkers. they obviously need to change their policy. at least no one was hurt and she is going to get the mandated medical treatment she so clearly needs - i always have conflicting feelings in these cases. not right what she did but she is really hurting from something in life to need to get help from a bottle.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:32 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaeric View Post
Effects of blood alcohol concentration
Blood alcohol concentration, mg/dl Clinical effects
20-50 Diminished fine motor coordination
50-100 Impaired judgement; impaired coordination
100-150 Difficulty with gait and balance
150-250 Lethargy; difficulty sitting upright without assistance
300 (=.3 blow) Coma in the non-habituated drinker
400 Respiratory depression

Reproduced with permission from: Marx, JA. Rosen's emergency medicine: concepts and clinical practice, 5th ed, Mosby, Inc., St. Louis 2002. p. 2513. Copyright 2002 Elsevier.

she was obviously a habitual drinker - these levels are for nonhabituated drinkers. they obviously need to change their policy. at least no one was hurt and she is going to get the mandated medical treatment she so clearly needs - i always have conflicting feelings in these cases. not right what she did but she is really hurting from something in life to need to get help from a bottle.
Speaking of changing policies, if they can put breathalyzers on cars that shunt the ignition if you blow drunk, why cant they put a breathalyzer at the workplace, especially at a transportation related workplace, that requires the employees to blow before they get behind the wheel. Driving kids around drunk is just ridiculous. Rob, explain to us why that would be unconstitutional.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Ride Naked

Quote:
at least no one was hurt and she is going to get the mandated medical treatment she so clearly needs
so many times this is just not the case. she needs help, yes. but the court will more often than not just saddle you with bills.

Quote:
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Speaking of changing policies, if they can put breathalyzers on cars that shunt the ignition if you blow drunk, why cant they put a breathalyzer at the workplace, especially at a transportation related workplace, that requires the employees to blow before they get behind the wheel. Driving kids around drunk is just ridiculous. Rob, explain to us why that would be unconstitutional.
rob will not like this Dentists may have the highest rate of suicide out of any profession in the world, but attorneys have the most alcoholics out of any profession.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Quote:
rob will not like this Dentists may have the highest rate of suicide out of any profession in the world, but attorneys have the most alcoholics out of any profession.
attorneys and bus drivers, apparently :P

visor down
nesba #608
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Must be something with their union. I would have lied to her and told her the bus couldn't move for a safety reason and called the cops.

Me: This bus can't go, that's why I came out here. A replacement will be here shortly.

Driver: Umm, ok.

What's so hard about that?
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephiroth View Post
A lawsuit wouldn't even be worthwhile, just cash-hungry.
I was kidding. People like that aren't worth my time, generally.
Unless I knew the guy had a trust fund...then I'd totally sue him

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode