That's not right - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
you run, you lose
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NW Chicago suburb
Posts: 123
Location: NW Chicago suburb
Sportbike: '07 & '09 R6, '09 R1
Years Riding: August '08
How you found us: bike sticker
 
That's not right

Hopefully this isn't a repost
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2...hway11.article

Article:

A Traffic Court judge has ordered a Cook County court deputy to attend traffic school for hitting a highway worker.

"It's time to have a refresher course in driving," Cook County Circuit Judge Earl Hoffenberg told Tony Lampkin on Wednesday.

He said Lampkin was "obviously in a hurry" when he hit highway worker Michael Ochoa.

"His conduct was totally reckless," Hoffenberg said.

Lampkin, who was in uniform but off-duty at the time, hit Ochoa, of Chicago, on an outbound Eisenhower Expy. ramp last Sept. 2 after going around a car stopped at a traffic signal.

Ochoa, who suffered minor injuries, was on the ramp to check the signal. Lampkin also ran over the signal.

He was found guilty of reckless driving and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. He was sentenced to supervision and eight hours of traffic school, and must pay a $500 fine plus court costs.

Lampkin has said the car at the ramp was proceeding forward on a green light, then stopped unexpectedly, causing him to swerve.

The driver of the car stopped at the signal, Anarbol Avalos, testified Wednesday that he stopped because the light turned red. He said Lampkin also hit his car. Both Ochoa and Avalos said Lampkin was going fast on the ramp.

"I saw he was going fast. I got nervous," Avalos said.

Noting that Lampkin apologized to Ochoa after the accident, Lampkin's attorney, Frank Howard, argued that his client had meant no harm.

"Judge, it was an accident," Howard said. "Accidents happen."

"Accidents happen with the way your client was driving," Hoffenberg responded.

Ochoa said he was satisfied with the result of the case.




What happened to the huge signs on the highway that always talked about what would happen to a person if they were to hit a highway employee?
That's garbage!
xzpolskix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered User
 
equipt31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mt Prospect, IL
Posts: 289
Location: Mt Prospect, IL
Sportbike: 2004 R6, 2005 SV650
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Another forum
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzpolskix View Post
What happened to the huge signs on the highway that always talked about what would happen to a person if they were to hit a highway employee?
That's garbage!
Those are for construction zones and this wasnt technically a construction zone, just maintenance (im thinking maybe it falls under a diff law?). anyway those signs say you do jailtime for killing a worker, otherwise its a mandatory $450 fine, looks like he got $500 plus court costs.
equipt31 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:53 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover
 
ninjaeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: northern suburbs
Posts: 1,535
Location: northern suburbs
Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google
           
it is so tiring and disappointing to hear of people not taking personal responsibility for the consequences of their actions. instead, it has become far too common to try to come up with an excuse...in essence, if someone can concoct an explanation under these circumstances and this gets them out of trouble then this validates this whole dishonest behavior. when you do something wrong, you should APOLOGIZE and be fully prepared to accept whatever consequences you have coming your way. thats just common human decency and moral behavior. whatever happened to peoples' consciences???
ninjaeric is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
The Victim Newbie
 
clearwaterms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 7,384
Location: Westchester, IL
Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com
           
Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaeric View Post
it is so tiring and disappointing to hear of people not taking personal responsibility for the consequences of their actions. instead, it has become far too common to try to come up with an excuse...in essence, if someone can concoct an explanation under these circumstances and this gets them out of trouble then this validates this whole dishonest behavior. when you do something wrong, you should APOLOGIZE and be fully prepared to accept whatever consequences you have coming your way. thats just common human decency and moral behavior. whatever happened to peoples' consciences???
any attorney (and even your insurance card) tells you very clearly to NEVER admit fault. the problem with an apology is it is a confession of guilt, and with a confession, people want a monitary settlement. So, unfortinetly our sue happy society has created a situation where in you are instructed NOT to apologize to protect your insurance carriers pocket book.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
clearwaterms is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
The Victim Newbie
 
clearwaterms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 7,384
Location: Westchester, IL
Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com
           
Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
to the OP, I agree with you, to me it sounds like preferential treatment due to the fact that he is an employee of the courts. Depending on the maintenance workers injuries, I think that a suspension of his license is the LEAST possible punishment, and possibly having it revoked / community service / jail time for a more severe injury.

The punishment (in what I have read here) does not fit the crime.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
clearwaterms is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
CLSB's Jesus Lover
 
ninjaeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: northern suburbs
Posts: 1,535
Location: northern suburbs
Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
any attorney (and even your insurance card) tells you very clearly to NEVER admit fault. the problem with an apology is it is a confession of guilt, and with a confession, people want a monitary settlement. So, unfortinetly our sue happy society has created a situation where in you are instructed NOT to apologize to protect your insurance carriers pocket book.
i agree with you and i understand the reasoning behind the "need" to deny fault but i still dont think it is right - there is a "higher Power" that ultimately must be answered to. also, we are now being told, in medicine, to apologize to patients when something wrong has occurred. WHY??? because studies have shown that patients are less angry when they receive an apology and hence much less likely to sue. it has been my personal policy ever since i started practicing to apologize to patients when a mistake has been made...WHY??? because its just the right thing to do...period. i suppose one big difference is that this apology occurs in the context of an existing and ongoing relationship which is very different in traffic accidents.
ninjaeric is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM
The Victim Newbie
 
clearwaterms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 7,384
Location: Westchester, IL
Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com
           
Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaeric View Post
i agree with you and i understand the reasoning behind the "need" to deny fault but i still dont think it is right - there is a "higher Power" that ultimately must be answered to. also, we are now being told, in medicine, to apologize to patients when something wrong has occurred. WHY??? because studies have shown that patients are less angry when they receive an apology and hence much less likely to sue. it has been my personal policy ever since i started practicing to apologize to patients when a mistake has been made...WHY??? because its just the right thing to do...period. i suppose one big difference is that this apology occurs in the context of an existing and ongoing relationship which is very different in traffic accidents.
an apology is good manners, plain and simple. Its an admission of guilt and the inference that you will take measures to prevent such an event from happening again.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
clearwaterms is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome