Running a HOA - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2004 R6, 2005 SV650
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Another forum

Running a HOA

Anyone have experience in HOA's or better yet, self-managed associations? I am moving into a condo and will take over a spot on the board from the sellers as part of the deal pending a vote. This was self-managed BTW.

I have all the info from them about collecting dues, list of contacts, etc. Sounds like I'll be moderately busy. It was run pretty lax and laidback tho, so I wanna make sure it's somewhat legit just in case. Anywhere good to luck up laws? Typical procedures? Etc. I think there's a forum or website I saw a while back but can't find it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Im sorry for your loss of homeownership freedom

dave13 is on his association board maybe he'll know

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:21 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
Im sorry for your loss of homeownership freedom
agreed. ya its nice when some shit is done for you, and it CAN keep the rif-raf from making your place look like shit. but at the same time you are giving up your freedoms....

but then again, people like to give them up.. national health care! do it now!

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

I founded a Townhome HOA some years back and was a board member for a few years.

Later my wife became a board member for a couple years.

Get a copy of the by-laws and the commitment to the HOA that each owner signs.

That's what's relevant.

Then....

Financial statement.
Collections / Receivables statement.
Management company ?
Vendors ( garbage /painting / plowing / landscaping )

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Check the Illinois Secretary of State web site. There are state laws that apply to HOA and Condo Assocations. You should be familiar with them if you are going to self-administer the HOA/Condo Association.

Craig
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

haha sorry to hear that so many are stuck in crappy HOAs but this is a really laid back association, lots of older nonchalant tenants, as long as stuff gets done on time not much to worry about from the looks of it. also the self managed portion seems like it ensures ppl wont get screwed. guess ill report in a year to see if my mind changed but i doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
I founded a Townhome HOA some years back and was a board member for a few years.

Later my wife became a board member for a couple years.

Get a copy of the by-laws and the commitment to the HOA that each owner signs.

That's what's relevant.

Then....

Financial statement.
Collections / Receivables statement.
Management company ?
Vendors ( garbage /painting / plowing / landscaping )

Tom
Tom, most of that stuff I have copies of already, as mentioned it's self-managed (2 others and likely myself). Like I said tho, some of the material looks a little lacking so I just want to make sure all the bases are covered as far as laws and details.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipt31 View Post

Tom, most of that stuff I have copies of already, as mentioned it's self-managed (2 others and likely myself). Like I said tho, some of the material looks a little lacking so I just want to make sure all the bases are covered as far as laws and details.

Generally..... the HOA documents are signed at closing.

They commit the homeowner to the By-Laws.

The By-Laws also contain language on how the By-Laws are changed.

Within those confines..... you can do whatever they allow.

As Mopar said...... it's a mixed bag....... they protect you from some things.... like junk cars and
homeowners painting their house pink and purple ...... and they prevent some freedoms.

A good HOA..... is a good thing.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

The reality is that a "board member" doesn't run it. Its a collaboration. Also, dont expect to get voted in. People will not vote for you unless they have a reason to do so, and you campaign for the position. You probably dont want to get voted in. No matter what you do some jack-hole isnt gonna like it, and give you lawnjobs at 3am.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I'll get in cause 1, since it's self managed nobody else wants to do it (and I can def take on the task) and 2, the sellers gave their vote of confidence and that's all these passive ppl want. the other members are only members by name in case of emergency, they don't really want anything to do w/it either besides showing me the ropes and then sitting back (the law says you need x amount of members for a board i guess).
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipt31 View Post
I'll get in cause 1, since it's self managed nobody else wants to do it (and I can def take on the task) and 2, the sellers gave their vote of confidence and that's all these passive ppl want. the other members are only members by name in case of emergency, they don't really want anything to do w/it either besides showing me the ropes and then sitting back (the law says you need x amount of members for a board i guess).
Hmmmmmm......almost like Stroger taking his dads seat!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
HOAs are good when there is no major projects to manage just the typical stuff. Once major projects pop up, and assessments get jacked up or a special assessment is needed then shit gets interesting and the low key people will want to lynch you.

I was a board member and the president for a few years back when I had my loft. I am a control freak so I like the position of "power", but I do not miss it at all. Good Luck.

Greg

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Lick Me

Sportbike: '01 sv650s, CRF 70
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: from moparboyy

Send a message via AIM to HeavyHand
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
agreed. ya its nice when some shit is done for you, and it CAN keep the rif-raf from making your place look like shit. but at the same time you are giving up your freedoms....

but then again, people like to give them up.. national health care! do it now!
good point, drop out of your union at your job.

-Nick
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

There is at least a fair chance the Board is under-staffed or has problems keeping a full Board. In any case, it's not up to the seller if you fill their position by appointment, it's up to the Board and the By-Laws of the Association.

Get a copy of the Declaration of Condominium and By-Laws, get several years worth of budget reports, check their cash reserves and what the reserves are allocated for, find out their record for special assessments, see if they have been involved in any legal proceedings, and check out the Illinois Condominium Act.

Condo Boards are given a lot of flexibility in setting up their rules, but Boards also often get away with overextending their authority.

In spite of people dragging their political baggage into this thread, it is a fact that their is good and bad in buying into an Association, and that is often reason enough to be actively involved in your Board.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Dave
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

There are power trip assholes that try and sit on these boards and have their own hidden agendas. It's a pain. When things are good, it's good. When it's bad, it's horrable. Currently our president has a case pending for theft from another resident, fired 2/3 of the office staff to hire her daughter in law, and her son does 99% of the work on the clubhouse without a vote being held. Our vp threatened a former employee and her husband for him asking questions about who the new office staff is. Treasurer is too old to read, so the management company has her hand in the till. Secretary isn't a homeowner in our association. If you have specific questions, pm me your #. Too much to type.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
There are power trip assholes that try and sit on these boards and have their own hidden agendas. It's a pain. When things are good, it's good. When it's bad, it's horrable. Currently our president has a case pending for theft from another resident, fired 2/3 of the office staff to hire her daughter in law, and her son does 99% of the work on the clubhouse without a vote being held. Our vp threatened a former employee and her husband for him asking questions about who the new office staff is. Treasurer is too old to read, so the management company has her hand in the till. Secretary isn't a homeowner in our association. If you have specific questions, pm me your #. Too much to type.
Dude! Organize your freakin' community and get these jerks out of there!

Yes... this is one example of how bad things can get. Another would be a President who believes that they are authorized to enter units without permission, who "keeps assessments low" until major repairs nearly bankrupt the Association and buildings sit partially repaired for months. Or property values drop due to "horrendus" records for special assessments.

Like I said, good and bad. If you are buying into an Association, do your homework and pay attention to the Board activities.

Dave
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i HATE HOA'S!!!!!!! THEY ALL SUCK!!!!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaDave View Post
Dude! Organize your freakin' community and get these jerks out of there!
We are. Elections are next month, and six like minded people are also running to get rid of the current board. And that doesn't make sense that buying a home automaticially makes you a board member because you are buying the home from a board memeber. They voted on the person, not your address.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
And that doesn't make sense that buying a home automaticially makes you a board member because you are buying the home from a board memeber. They voted on the person, not your address.
It could be the case if the owner is connected to the Board, but I would take it as a red flag for how the Board operates. Again though, it could easily be an Association where the Board is under-staffed and will accept anyone willing and having a pulse.

Purchasing a condo means inheriting legal responsibilities and could cost you a fair amount of equity if you decide you can't deal with it and have to sell. Best to do your homework up front.

Dave
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Shelly is on her HOA and a close friend works for a Management company that handles many propertys in the area... Dude your gonna hate it!! It is non Stop BULLSHIT!!!! My opinion!! Good Luck!!

Look up and talk to www.nemanichconsulting.com

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
And that doesn't make sense that buying a home automaticially makes you a board member because you are buying the home from a board memeber. They voted on the person, not your address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaDave View Post
It could be the case if the owner is connected to the Board, but I would take it as a red flag for how the Board operates. Again though, it could easily be an Association where the Board is under-staffed and will accept anyone willing and having a pulse.
Yup, that is the case. Nobody really wants to do the job, to them it's all just a hassle so they want anyone competent to do it, vote is coming up so we'll see how it turns out, I swear it's not rigged, lol. Thank god they seem to not be the types to complain much (except for 1 guy) based on what I could tell from the last meeting. 4 out of 18 non-board members showed up.

Dave13 I might PM you, got alot of research to do in the meantmie. I already read their financials, by-laws, etc. It looks pretty good. I will probably look up some of the Illinois Condominium Property Act which seems the best resource (albeit tedious)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode