manual transmission+remote start=wet mustang*new info* - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
manual transmission+remote start=wet mustang*new info*

http://jalopnik.com/5500228/dealersh...d-car-totalled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
Quote:
Mustangforums member "luckydawg003" wasn't so lucky when he took his remote starter-equipped, manual transmission Mustang GT to Brandon Ford in Florida for some service. They remote-started the car in gear and it ended up submerged in a holding pond.

According to lucky, he was at the dealer to pick up his car after some warranty work when the service agent came out with some bad news. When he was going to get the car the agent remote-started the 'Stang while it was in gear with the parking brake off. The car fired up and took off through an empty parking spot, went under a chain link fence and powered itself into a holding pond off the dealer lot where it sank beneath the water.

The dealer has refused to admit responsibility for the incident claiming the lack of a neutral safety switch on the system absolves them of responsibility. The soggy Mustang is totaled and the matter is now in the hands of the insurance companies.

What do you think? Does the dealership owe this guy a new car or is the Mustang owner culpable for installing a remote start system on his car without a neutral safety switch (or for installing a remote starter on a manually equipped car in the first place)?
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
ha! had a friend put his car through a garage door for the same thing.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

Buy a bike. Problem solved.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrly View Post
Buy a bike. Problem solved.

same friend did just that. (brand new gixxer 750) which he promptly totaled.

He's the comic relief.

Can't wait to see what he does with the harley he just bought.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
this is the reason most places wont install a remote start on a manual trans car for you... they dont want the liability and the neutral safety isnt easy on all cars

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

I would never put one on a manual car. That sucks to be him but chances are the dealer will be responsible. They never should of used the remote start. It's not for their convenience.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!

Last edited by CHeYeNNe; 03-24-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Mistyped what meant lol
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
Dealer is liable as it was in their hands getting work done. But the guy is an idiot and installed in in an stickshift car. It's one less crapstang on the road

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

In my opinion, the dealer is responsible. However, I believe it's illegal to defeat the safety switch, so they might be able to get out of it.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: Its my first time ;)
How you found us: Leghumpers Anonymous

I think the dealer is responsible. It was in their possession at the time of the incident. There are too many people/companies out there, that f up your stuff, then want you to pay for it. That is such BS. I give you my car to do work, you f it up, and now I'm responsible.

I had this happen on one of my vehicles. Took it in for an oil change, tire rotate, and replace fuel filter, they broke the clips that hold the fuel filter in and had to replace the fuel line, then wanted to charge me for the fuel line. I told them it wasn't broke when I dropped it off, and its been in your possession, so how is it my fault?

To many people not taking responsibility for their actions these days, care too much about making that dollar.
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

I think it is owner fault. Fact is guy running for car may have had no idea car was a manual. This job usually done by someone making minimum wage as a runnuer and washing cars. It isn't like the dealership was neglectfull. If they didn't put the brake on and it rolled into the pond that is neglect. Unknowing of a bypassed safety switch isn't neglect. I say pay the deductable and stfu.

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
I've always left my manual trans cars in neutral when I park them. N + ebrake = parked. It's just how I was taught. Only when I parked on steep de/inclines would I put it in gear too. It took a few times of dealers/porters leaving them in gear for me always check if they're out of gear when I start them.

I'd install a remote start on a mtx car but would take the fob off when I dropped it off anywhere. I've NEVER personally parked my mtx car and left it in gear (unless as in my example above).

Dude should have told the dealer not to use the remote start or taken the fob with him. Wouldn't it have just jumped forward a foot or so and stalled?
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I've always left my manual trans cars in neutral when I park them. N + ebrake = parked. It's just how I was taught. Only when I parked on steep de/inclines would I put it in gear too. It took a few times of dealers/porters leaving them in gear for me always check if they're out of gear when I start them.

I'd install a remote start on a mtx car but would take the fob off when I dropped it off anywhere. I've NEVER personally parked my mtx car and left it in gear (unless as in my example above).

Dude should have told the dealer not to use the remote start or taken the fob with him. Wouldn't it have just jumped forward a foot or so and stalled?
they jump fotward and stall, then the starter tries to restart the engine, after a couple of tries it will start and take off. The starters have sensors to tell it if the vehicle has started and it will keep sending a start signal until the vehicle is started. Its not a one and done thing
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Dealer is gonna pay, legally speaking.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
I think the dealer is responsible. It was in their possession at the time of the incident. There are too many people/companies out there, that f up your stuff, then want you to pay for it. That is such BS. I give you my car to do work, you f it up, and now I'm responsible.

I had this happen on one of my vehicles. Took it in for an oil change, tire rotate, and replace fuel filter, they broke the clips that hold the fuel filter in and had to replace the fuel line, then wanted to charge me for the fuel line. I told them it wasn't broke when I dropped it off, and its been in your possession, so how is it my fault?

To many people not taking responsibility for their actions these days, care too much about making that dollar.
I don't disagree with you about breaking something while doing work, like the filter clips. but there is not necessarily an easy way to know this had a remote start that was improper.

what if joe blow brings his car in to get worked on with nothing in the radiator. shop starts the car and it overheats and damages the head. who is responsible?

what if a customer had brakes that were totally shot and didn't tell some one (aside from going to a brake shop to get them fixed) and it was dangerous to drive the vehicle? so the first person to move it crashes into something because the vehicle was unsafe?

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #16 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
they jump fotward and stall, then the starter tries to restart the engine, after a couple of tries it will start and take off. The starters have sensors to tell it if the vehicle has started and it will keep sending a start signal until the vehicle is started. Its not a one and done thing
Heh, you can tell I've never used a remote starter.
post #17 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 AM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
Quote:
MOST systems have a 3x no start limit. if it doesn't start after 3x, it will stop trying. However it can crank a significant time during each try. maybe 10sec? Also, many cars, if unrestricted, can start upon a crank in gear with no brake restriction.

I worked with a guy that had a cable clutch on his mazda that broke. He drove it for a few months by no clutch shifting it and shutting it off and restarting in first at stop lights. pop car in neutral, come to a stop, shut car off, engage first, crank engine, off you go. not safe in anyway, but it did work.

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #18 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofyl View Post
I don't disagree with you about breaking something while doing work, like the filter clips. but there is not necessarily an easy way to know this had a remote start that was improper.

what if joe blow brings his car in to get worked on with nothing in the radiator. shop starts the car and it overheats and damages the head. who is responsible?

what if a customer had brakes that were totally shot and didn't tell some one (aside from going to a brake shop to get them fixed) and it was dangerous to drive the vehicle? so the first person to move it crashes into something because the vehicle was unsafe?
I'm not saying that shops should be responsible for everything, ie. you bring it in for brakes and the radiator blows up. But if you bring it in for brakes and the bend a rim, these 2 are correlated.

Now granted there is no way to know if someone overrode the safety switch on a remote start, but they do make remote starts for manual trans.
post #19 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:36 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
I think it is owner fault. Fact is guy running for car may have had no idea car was a manual. This job usually done by someone making minimum wage as a runnuer and washing cars. It isn't like the dealership was neglectfull. If they didn't put the brake on and it rolled into the pond that is neglect. Unknowing of a bypassed safety switch isn't neglect. I say pay the deductable and stfu.
I couldn't disagree more. The dealership was neglectful. They took possession of property and through misuse of the remote start caused damage to the car. It doesn't matter that the person working the job makes minimum wage or $100k a year, they screwed up and the dealership will eventually pay.

Also, why did they use the remote-start to being with? If it wasn't necessary to use it then they shouldn't have. Yes, the dealership will pay for this one.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #20 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
I couldn't disagree more. The dealership was neglectful. They took possession of property and through misuse of the remote start caused damage to the car. It doesn't matter that the person working the job makes minimum wage or $100k a year, they screwed up and the dealership will eventually pay.

Also, why did they use the remote-start to being with? If it wasn't necessary to use it then they shouldn't have. Yes, the dealership will pay for this one.
I disagree. The owner of the car had the remote start hooked up and it was installed wrong. Doesnt say who installed it but the fact is that its still installed wrong. If it was properly installed we wouldnt be having this discussion. Are you telling me that if a friend asked you to make a mp3 cd and when you went to play it the radio in there car all the sudden had some shorted wires that its your fault for his shotty work?

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #21 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Fast Old Fart on a Bike

Sportbike: 2001 Ducati S4 / '06 WRX STI Tow Vehicle
Years Riding: Since 1966
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to tripod
Gee, my Subie's starter will not even engage unless the clutch is fully depressed.

Haven't driven an American stick shift in years, don't they work the same?

Live Fast, Die Young, Have a good looking corpse.
post #22 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Gee, my Subie's starter will not even engage unless the clutch is fully depressed.

You need to disable the neutral safety switch on any modern manual car to install a remote starter. Thus, it can start without the clutch pedal being pressed.
post #23 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

It's very simple to bypass the neutral safety switch when auto starting a car. Depending one the car, eith send it 12v, or earth, depending on the vehicle.

**edit Damn you Zero!

I worked in car audio for some time. I wouldn't install auto start on a stick, and I never had it on any of my cars that were stick. It's a liability I don't want.
post #24 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Why did the dumb porter remote start the car? Probably because he thought it would be cool to do so. Porter works for dealer, dealer is responsible. Wouldn't the dealer be responsible for damage to a high end stereo system if the retard porter decided to change some settings and flip some switches? Dumbass shouldn't have been messing with the shit to begin with.
post #25 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Sportbike: Ask my wife
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post

They do. You have to delete or work around safety systems to get the remote starter to work, then every time you park you have to leave the car in neutral with the e-brake set. So you have to deliberately do things wrong in order to make it work. The Dealer may be liable legally but this guy is a jackass for setting up his car like that.

My Gear saved my life.

Click here for really good coffee
post #26 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Sportbike: 2008 Suzuki GSX R600
Years Riding: Long enough to know that stupid hurts.
How you found us: shawnb114 invited me on a cruise and I was hooked.

Send a message via AIM to GIZMO
Dealership not responsible for this incident. Everyplace I've worked or been to wont even put a remote start in a manual plus if there was a step that was bipassed that was a safety measure so something like this wouldn't happen then it definatly isn't their fault. Pay the deductible and get over it.

You wanna see my itinerary?
post #27 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

FFS who pressed the button????
post #28 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Back in the dark ages when I learned to drive, we were taught to never trust the parking brake, and always leave the car in either First or Reverse.

That said, there are a number of wrongs here.

1) Improperly installed remote starter that allowed starting in gear

2) Dealer employee left car in gear after moving it to parking spot, and did not set the Parking Brake.

3) The Porter should NOT have used the remote start. It's Florida! WTF! It's not like it's cold or anything!

I think it's on the dealer. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Craig
post #29 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Since everyone is split, time to make this a 50/50. Both insurance companies will pay half the cost.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #30 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 PM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
FFS who pressed the button????
Doesnt matter. Faulty equipment shouldn't affect a third party that has nothing to do with it. Its not like they were blasting the radio and messing with a high end sound system. For all you know he started the car so he could bring it from around back to the customer in the parking lot.

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode