Death by Firing Squad?? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Death by Firing Squad??

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14945392?source=most_viewed
Your thoughts on death by firing squad?

A state judge on Friday signed a warrant ordering that Ronnie Lee Gardner be put to death on June 18, setting the stage for Utah's first execution in more than a decade.

The condemned man chose firing squad over lethal injection as the way he will die. Department of Corrections officials will choose the time of the execution, which will take place at the Utah State Prison in Draper.

Third District Judge Robin Reese signed the warrant, saying, "The defendant has exhausted all his legal remedies."

"It's my conclusion not to second-guess the courts or undertake an independent review," he said.

Reese then said he assumed Gardner would want the method of execution he had chosen previously, to which Gardner, who appeared in court shackled and under heavy guard, said, "I would like the firing squad, please."

Defense attorney Andrew Parnes said he would appeal to the Utah Supreme Court on Gardner's behalf. Gardner could also ask the Board of Pardons and Parole to reduce his sentence to life in prison, a request that must be made by May 4.

The board can temporarily stop an execution to "fully hear" a commutation request, but attorneys for the state have said they believe there will be enough time for a hearing without a delay. At a hearing, witnesses testify for or against a life sentence. Neither side is allowed to cross-examine the other party's witnesses, but the five board members can question them.

Gardner had filed a motion earlier in the week asking to participate in Friday's hearing by phone, saying he has rheumatoid arthritis and suffers severe pain from being cuffed the entire time he is outside prison. But Reese ruled that the law required Gardner's attendance.

Now 49, Gardner has spent more than half his life behind bars, including time as a juvenile. He is under a death sentence for the fatal shooting of attorney Michael Burdell during an April 2, 1985, escape attempt from a downtown Salt Lake City courthouse.

A 3rd District Court jury convicted Gardner of murder and he was given a death sentence in November 1985, which started years of appeals. Gardner periodically asked judges to allow him to die, either saying he was frustrated with delays in the case or racked with pain from rheumatoid arthritis, but then continued to challenge his sentence in both state and federal courts.

U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell in 2007 rejected all claims in an appeal by Gardner, including his assertion that his trial and appeal lawyers were ineffective because they failed to show he never meant to kill his victim. The judge said there was "overwhelming evidence" that Gardner intended to shoot Burdell.

Gardner appealed to the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which upheld Campbell's decision last year. He asked for a review of the 10th Circuit ruling by the Supreme Court, which rejected his petition on March 8. The state Attorney General's Office then asked for the death warrant.

Under state law and Administrative Code rules, the DOC officials will select five people, plus an alternate and a team leader, for a firing squad. All members must be certified peace officers.

Members of the news media will not have a view of the executioners, and the shooters' identities will not be revealed.

The last inmate to die in Utah by firing squad was John Albert Taylor, who raped and murdered 11-year-old Charla King. On Jan. 26, 1996, he was hooded and strapped to a chair as five shooters took aim at a cloth target taped over his heart. Four executioners fired live rounds, while one weapon had a blank.

Taylor said he chose the firing squad over lethal injection to embarrass Utah, the only state with that option.

The last inmate executed in Utah was Joseph Mitchell Parsons, who was strapped on a gurney on Oct. 15, 1999, and pronounced dead about two minutes after being administered a lethal dose of drugs. Parsons was put to death for murdering Richard Lynn Ernest, a concrete laborer from Loma Linda, Calif., who had given him a ride.

Parsons was the sixth death-row inmate to be executed in Utah since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

The first in Utah and the nation to be put to death after reinstatement was Gary Gilmore on Jan. 17, 1977, for the murder of Bennie Bushnell, a motel manager in Provo. Gilmore chose the firing squad over hanging.

Utah's death row has 10 inmates, including Gardner. All are men.

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Everyone aim for the brain stem.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
My only problem with this is how long the whole process is taking. He was given his sentence 25 years ago and is still alive? The dude is asking to die, just take him out back and put a bullet in his head already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

geez 25 years of appeals
just crazy

Mike

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Letting him live out the rest of his life in prison is a bigger punishment than executing him.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm a non-achiever.

Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops

that is why there is the debate that the death penalty is cheaper than life in prison.

Imagine being the person pulling 1 of the triggers? Gotta be a hardassed mofo.

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

rid the country of this POS-now

Mike

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaugdog View Post
that is why there is the debate that the death penalty is cheaper than life in prison.

how about letting the family members of the slain individual pull the trigger? OK with that?

Mike

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
how about letting the family members of the slain individual pull the trigger? OK with that?
I'd be OK with that.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
The only reason why the death penalty is more expensive is because of appeals and lawyer/court fees.

A bullet costs less than 30 seconds of a lawyer's fee.

Lethal injection has to cost less than what it costs to house this scumbag.

Last edited by Zero; 04-23-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: oops, meant more expensive, not cheaper
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Sportbike: 2008 CBR 1000RR and 2010 Victory Jackpot premium
Years Riding: One could say, I've been around the block a few times....
How you found us: Through the "GrapeVine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Letting him live out the rest of his life in prison is a bigger punishment than executing him.
And also a excellent example of waisted tax dollars!

I to this day love the good ole' running texas phrase of

"You kill somebody in texas, and we will kill you back!"

More scumbags need the death sentence, but in todays day and age shit takes forever or the nonsense gets passed around the judicial system for 25 YEARS before some judge with a pair is PRO execution and pulls the damn trigger!

Tom
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
No, I'm not. Justice and Retribution are not the same thing.

Craig
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
No, I'm not. Justice and Retribution are not the same thing.
I know they're not the same - but feel both are appropriate when you murder people.

Mike

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCold81 View Post
And also a excellent example of waisted tax dollars!

I to this day love the good ole' running texas phrase of

"You kill somebody in texas, and we will kill you back!"

More scumbags need the death sentence, but in todays day and age shit takes forever or the nonsense gets passed around the judicial system for 25 YEARS before some judge with a pair is PRO execution and pulls the damn trigger!
Oh I agree. Tax dollars aside though, letting this man rot in prison is a much harsher punishment than executing him. He is BEGGING them to kill him so he doesn't have to go through the misery of living out the rest of his life in a jail cell. Executing him would be giving him a way out.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Quote:
Oh I agree. Tax dollars aside though, letting this man rot in prison is a much harsher punishment than executing him. He is BEGGING them to kill him so he doesn't have to go through the misery of living out the rest of his life in a jail cell. Executing him would be giving him a way out.
I do agree on that note!

Tom
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
I'd do it. No question.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
While I agree with your thought process, what does leaving him in jail for life really do? So this guy lives in misery for the rest of his life in prison. Sure it will suck for him, but the outcome is the same, he dies in the hands of the USA. I'd rather just kill him now and free up the space/money.

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
While I agree with your thought process, what does leaving him in jail for life really do? So this guy lives in misery for the rest of his life in prison. Sure it will suck for him, but the outcome is the same, he dies in the hands of the USA. I'd rather just kill him now and free up the space/money.
Having to live with himself for doing what he did. If not that, just knowing that he will die in prison would probably kill him in the inside. That and having to deal with prison life. I see your point though and I agree. But what if it were a murder suicide? Would there be any justice in him killing himself after he murder whoever he murdered?

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Having to live with himself for doing what he did. If not that, just knowing that he will die in prison would probably kill him in the inside. That and having to deal with prison life. I see your point though and I agree. But what if it were a murder suicide? Would there be any justice in him killing himself after he murder whoever he murdered?
I guess I just have the opinion that our jails shouldn't be used as a storage facility, more as a correctional facility.

If the person in question isn't going to be able to go back into society and not commit shit again, just put a bullet in their head and get it over with. We have far to many problems in this country to be worrying about the lives of repeat murders or rapists or child molesters or etc.

Now, I know this sounds great when typed and would be very difficult to put into the works in real life, which sucks.

If it were a murder suicide, I guess the justice is knowing that the murderer can no longer harm any one else.

Quote:
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
I guess I just have the opinion that our jails shouldn't be used as a storage facility, more as a correctional facility.

If the person in question isn't going to be able to go back into society and not commit shit again, just put a bullet in their head and get it over with. We have far to many problems in this country to be worrying about the lives of repeat murders or rapists or child molesters or etc.

Now, I know this sounds great when typed and would be very difficult to put into the works in real life, which sucks.

If it were a murder suicide, I guess the justice is knowing that the murderer can no longer harm any one else.
True dat. The thing is, there isn't a whole of 'correcting' going on in these facilities. A lot of the times, and I hear this a lot, the people that go in usually go out a lot worse. Its not just murderers, rapists, etc., but a lot of dope dealers, thieves, what have you that go in and learn a new 'skill' if you will. Once they get out, they use what they learned in prison and use it out in the street.

Also, once they are in the system, they are IN the system. Meaning that once they are out, the law is constantly finding a reason to put them back in. A lot of these guys get out of jail hoping for a better life but they can't find work because nobody will hire them. So you have no job and you have a mouth(s) to feed, then you go back to what you know. Then they end up back in prison. Not for murder, rape, or molestation, but for some other crime. I think we can both agree that we can justify execution for the most heinous of crimes. But I don't think we can justify it for drug dealers, thieves, white collar criminals, etc.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:

Last edited by ENutz; 04-23-2010 at 04:21 PM.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

I think they should die in the same manner that their victims died.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkr View Post
i think they should die in the same manner that their victims died.
+1

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
The one and only reason the nonsensical insinuation that execution is more expensive than life sentences...the knock-down drag out appeals process.

100 yrs ago, this dude would have been executed 4 days after the trial.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkr View Post
i think they should die in the same manner that their victims died.
+1

Tom
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

You gotta love a state that still has the firing squad as an option for ending it. Good on ya Utah. But what's this shit with 4 guys having a live round and 1 with a blank? For the officers' conscience? and the cloth target over his heart, really? shame it's taken 25 years, wonder what the total is on court costs, lawyers fees, etc.?

the uncarved stone
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
The one and only reason the nonsensical insinuation that execution is more expensive than life sentences...the knock-down drag out appeals process.

100 yrs ago, this dude would have been executed 4 days after the trial.
They also would've executed those later found to be innocent, too. Whoops.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Quote:
My grandfather was on the giving end of a few firing squads during WWII. I'd hardly call him a hardass nor did it bother him.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 PM
underpaid pilot

Sportbike: 2001 Honda F4i track bike, 2007 Harley VRSCDX
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: Evil monkey made me do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S Preston, Esq. View Post
One innocent life is worth 1000 of these guys lives. If we have to let them appeal from now until eternity so one innocent person isn't put to death I'm good with that, but after those appeals run out kill the SOB!

An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Dave
NESBA #3.14159 1/4
2001 Honda F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post

Man that dude has a nice rack though....
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Hey AJ, what's with using a sig quote that's from the hole, so we can't see context?

Craig
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S Preston, Esq. View Post
Yeah I know, but some middle ground would be pretty sweet. ...wait, I'm talking to a lawyer

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode