Police on 355 between 55 and 80 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
philosopher and mechanic

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6, Fast Blue
Years Riding: 1.5 years
How you found us: Moparboyy

Police on 355 between 55 and 80

So, I drive on 355 South from 75th street all the way to 80 East every day, and for the past two days, I have seen at least *four* state troopers on the side of the road or pulling people over...

Why is it that I don't see these troopers on any other stretch of 355 except this one? Oh wait, I know, it's just an easy stretch of highway to make money. Straight road, nothing around, etc.

I support pulling people over for reckless driving, but this shit chaps my ass - I just don't see how this is serving the public good. When the state is in such dire financial straits, it hard not to beleive that these troopers are simply trying to justify their existences and generating as much revenue as possible.

Someone enlighten me - have there been a bunch of accidents on this section of 355, is reckless driving a real problem, are people speeding through construction zones (oh wait, there aren't any)? Or is this just a "shooting fish in a barrel" type of enforcement?

Just needed to vent....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

They were bad last Friday on 355. There is usually a SUV and unmarked blue ford. I've gotten nabbed by both

SUV let me go and the other cop was an asshole.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 AM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Did you get picked up?

Adam
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Fish in a barrel, my man. Town's the fish, people are the barrel. Fish in a barrel

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

If I were a cop I would sit there. Not because it is easy but because the average speed for that stretch is about 20 mph faster than the posted speed. Let's face it if everyone wasn't speeding no one would be getting pulled over. They are just doing there job. I just hope they are not doing it when I blast through!

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

teach the assholes a lesson - everyone drive exactly the speed limit across all three lanes.

It's bullshit - everybody speeds, if you don't you are the danger on the road.
They just randomly pick who gets the big fine and their insurance all fucked up...

It'd be nice if we did something like all those people in france did, but all across the country. It would screw things up everywhere - they claim they are doing good but really all they are doing is forcing everyone to break the law and hope their luck holds out and they aren't the one that gets caught.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
If I were a cop I would sit there. Not because it is easy but because the average speed for that stretch is about 20 mph faster than the posted speed. Let's face it if everyone wasn't speeding no one would be getting pulled over. They are just doing there job. I just hope they are not doing it when I blast through!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
philosopher and mechanic

Here's my problem with the "just don't speed" or "just don't break the law" and you'll be fine argument:

I don't remember the specific Supreme Court case name, however, back in the 70's, a police officer pulled over a woman for going over the white line, and long story short, he took her to jail for it. SCOTUS ruled that lieu of issuing a citation or fine, a police officer does indeed have the right to take a person to jail for a minor traffic violation.

Now, to/from work every day, it is impossible to not break some type of traffic law - i.e. going over the white line, speeding, stopping over the white line, not signaling soon enough, etc. In essence, every day you could potentially be taken to jail. Now, the question remains - why don't we see more people being taken to jail for minor traffic violations? Answer: it would be costly, and in addition, it would be a PR nightmare for the police. Thus, officers are allowed to use their discretion when pulling people over or issuing citations.

Overall, the troopers on 355 could choose to not be assholes, or if they did pull people over, they could issue warnings. Unfortunately, troopers preach about the hazards of speeding in an attempt to obfuscate the Illinois State Police's unwritten agenda, which is to make bank on that section of 355.

As I mentioned earlier, I have no problem with people being pulled over for reckless driving - 100+ mph in a car, weaving in and out of lanes, no signaling, not maintaining intervals, etc. But to me, doing 85mph in a straight line on a smooth section of highway isn't a danger to anyone...

Just my .02
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

LR - exactly what I was talking about.

Imagine if millions of drivers all got together across the nation and did that until the govt had to listen to us - let's get realistic about these ridiculously low speed limits and the fact that insurance companies are able to use our infractions to gouge us on insurance premiums. It's all a big scam. If it wasn't a scam perhaps the cops would feel the law should be followed by themselves and not be so cavalier in bragging about how these laws do not apply to them. Real laws do, why not speeding?
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post
LR - exactly what I was talking about.

Imagine if millions of drivers all got together across the nation and did that until the govt had to listen to us - let's get realistic about these ridiculously low speed limits and the fact that insurance companies are able to use our infractions to gouge us on insurance premiums. It's all a big scam. If it wasn't a scam perhaps the cops would feel the law should be followed by themselves and not be so cavalier in bragging about how these laws do not apply to them. Real laws do, why not speeding?
I'd be down for it. But all these jag offs with entitlement issues (which is a lot in IL if not the whole US) would probably run me right off the road or do some physical harm to me because I was not breaking the law.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 AM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosopheriam View Post

As I mentioned earlier, I have no problem with people being pulled over for reckless driving - 100+ mph in a car, weaving in and out of lanes, no signaling, not maintaining intervals, etc. But to me, going with the flow of traffic in a straight line on a smooth section of highway is much less dangerous than following the speed limit religiously...

Just my .02

Adam
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I'd be down for it. But all these jag offs with entitlement issues (which is a lot in IL if not the whole US) would probably run me right off the road or do some physical harm to me because I was not breaking the law.
we know it would piss us all off - but if it actually was adhered to until change happened then it would be worth it. Think of it like a Union going on strike.

A large percentage of the country standing up and saying "so this is the law you want? Fine. Have it"

I don't kid myself that it would ever work here.. Maybe in Europe - they seem to have the stones for that type of thing, and the govt's there seem to fear their citizens... Here in America we seem to take a perverse pride in the fact that we are scared of our own govt and know we can't change anything. Democracy? Heh.. We're more like China.
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Registered Loser

Sportbike: 06 gsxr 1k
Years Riding: best yrs of my life
How you found us: i forgot

I have been told that 355 was designed to have a 75mph speed limit.
And, not sure if this is true, states cannot get federal money for highways without the 55mph speed limit.
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
philosopher and mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
I have been told that 355 was designed to have a 75mph speed limit.
And, not sure if this is true, states cannot get federal money for highways without the 55mph speed limit.
Makes sense, that road has very gentle curves and is smooth as silk....
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
They've been nailing people on that stretch since the day it opened. Do NOT speed through there.

That said, I'd hate to be a State Cop. Meter maids, and that's about it. It's ridiculous, profit hidden behind the veil of safety.

The posted speed limit there has zero to do with safety and everything to do with handing out speeding tickets. Those roads are designed for and can easily accommodate a 70mph posted limit. As a matter of fact, the very notion of a 55mph speed limit is a remnant of the 'conservation' effort during the oil crisis in the mid-70s....kept in tact to hand out tickets. No one designs a highway like that for 55mph.

I love when they toggle up and down from 55-65-55-65-46 like on 80. How the hell are you supposed to manage your speed when you have no idea what the speed limit is!!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Sportbike: Honda Interceptor
Years Riding: including today?

Just drive like a cop. You'll be fine.
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

NWS - Audio

post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
I thought it was cool for cops to stop people that are breaking the law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkyleg View Post
^^^ these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
NWS - Audio

LOL... rep
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 03:45 PM

I am with you muskrat
EVERYBODY go exactly the speed limit across all lanes from now on.
Give the govt what they want. A grinding halt.

Everybody speeds. You can't drive on the expressway without doing it. The fact that it's just a luck of the draw thing if you get picked (to a point) is bullshit.

They squeeze us for hundreds if not thousands of dollars for .. what? and so they can get what % of it? If a speeding ticket costs you 250$ before insurance what part actually goes to the police? the court? the town? the county? the state?
Everybody wants their nickle and they have no problem ripping you off for $300.00 or more for that nickle.

but I guess it depends on what side of the table you're sitting on - the side with the few hundred in fines and their insurance all jacked up and maybe having to take stupid artard school..
or the guy sitting in the squad who gets to screw all that up for people for doing the same thing everybody else was doing and that he fully expects them to do and will get pissed if they don't do and that he himself does but when he gets pulled over he just shows his badge and as a "courtesy" the law doesn't apply to him.

Yep.

Justice isn't blind.

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 05-19-2010 at 03:50 PM.
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:04 PM
ummm.....yea

Sportbike: 06 graphite Daytona 675
Years Riding: since July 2008
How you found us: through a link

Send a message via AIM to wizard8873
Quote:
A person shall not drive a vehicle upon any highway at a speed which is greater than is reasonable and proper with regard to traffic conditions and the use of the highway, or endangers the safety of any person or property. '625 ILCS 5/11-601(a)
Quote:
I. No person shall operate a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. '625 ILCS 5/11-606(a)
teacher brought this up saying he fought it since he was once a cop. brought in the law, forgot which state it was, and it was something similar to what was above. you're screwed either way really, especially now that cops are cracking down just to make money. Can't go faster than the speed limit or you'll get a ticket but if you do so, you can get a ticket for blocking the flow of traffic.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/e...oc/ilspeed.pdf

-Marcin
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
^^^ these

LOL... rep
If their job is to hand out frivolous tickets in the name of safety then yeah, they're just doing their job.

It's one thing if you're doing 20 over in a school zone, or 25 over wrecklessly on a highway with a realistic posted speed limit...it's quite another to hand out tickets to people for 12 over in a 55 on an eight lane highway with 35' clear zones on either side. It's a money maker pure and simple.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:09 PM

meter maids with guns and cars
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
saw the marked suv out there yesterday morning between 7 and I80 on a gentle left curve around 8am. i was doing 68, the guy next to me was passing in the left lane, and he didnt roll out. maybe it was coffee time, or maybe they only roll for ~75mph?

20mph over is a reckless in the People's Republik of IL, right?

It is ridiculous to think that the cars these days are so safe, and handle and brake so much better than the cars of the past, not to mention the roads are so much safer and smoother, and the limits are lower.
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Parts of I80 by 355 the speed limit is 65. Not sure if that's where you were

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosopheriam View Post

I support pulling people over for reckless driving, but this shit chaps my ass - I just don't see how this is serving the public good. When the state is in such dire financial straits, it hard not to beleive that these troopers are simply trying to justify their existences and generating as much revenue as possible.
Do you really need to get some where 5 mins faster? that is about what it would be time wise if doing 55 or 65. Try is some day gps a destination and it tells you arrival time do the speed limit one way then do it at 85 u tell me. I drive 12 hrs a day and learned your not going to get there much faster

And seriously do you really think the State police give a shit about the state being financial straights? Umm NO why cause they will have a job no matter what. Its like saying Chicago cops writes tickets to generate revenue when in reality they could careless about traffic tickets for the most part hence why Chicago hired these meter maids to pick up the slack

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

a lot can happen in 5 minutes.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM

for Arch that's 5 more minutes before her husband gets home

post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:23 PM

Sportbike: 06 Ninja zx636
Years Riding: 6 years
How you found us: no

Send a message via AIM to Richfiero
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
Do you really need to get some where 5 mins faster? that is about what it would be time wise if doing 55 or 65. Try is some day gps a destination and it tells you arrival time do the speed limit one way then do it at 85 u tell me. I drive 12 hrs a day and learned your not going to get there much faster

And seriously do you really think the State police give a shit about the state being financial straights? Umm NO why cause they will have a job no matter what. Its like saying Chicago cops writes tickets to generate revenue when in reality they could careless about traffic tickets for the most part hence why Chicago hired these meter maids to pick up the slack
No they are worried about the states finances because they are getting laid off and not hiring more that retire. So when some shit hits the fan they get put in danger.

06 Sunburst Orange Ninja Zx6r, 06 1250 Sportster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode