And It Begins!! Scientists Create Synthetic Life - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

And It Begins!! Scientists Create Synthetic Life

'Synthetic life' breakthrough announced by scientists
BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_a...t/10132762.stm

The synthetic cell looks identical to the "wild type"

Scientists in the US have succeeded in developing the first synthetic living cell.

The researchers constructed a bacterium's "genetic software" and transplanted it into a host cell.

The resulting microbe then looked and behaved like the species "dictated" by the synthetic DNA.

The advance, published in Science, has been hailed as a scientific landmark, but critics say there are dangers posed by synthetic organisms.

The team hopes eventually to design bacterial cells that will produce medicines and fuels and even absorb greenhouse gases.
Continue reading the main story

This is the first time any synthetic DNA has been in complete control of a cell

Dr Craig Venter J Craig Venter Institute

The research team was led by Dr Craig Venter of the J Craig Venter Institute in Maryland and California.

He and his colleagues had previously made a synthetic bacterial genome, and it has transplanted the genome of one bacterium into another.

Now, the scientists have put both methods together, to create what they call a "synthetic cell", although only its genome is synthetic.

Dr Venter likened the chromosome to new "software" for the cell.

The researchers copied an existing bacterial genome. They sequenced its genetic code and then used synthesis machines to chemically construct a copy.

"We've now been able to take that synthetic chromosome, transplant it into a recipient cell - a different organism," Dr Venter told BBC News.

"As soon as this new software goes into the cell, that cell reads that software and converts the cell into the species specified in that genetic code."

The resulting cells have replicated over a billion times, producing copies of cells with the constructed, synthetic DNA.

"This is the first time any synthetic DNA has been in complete control of a cell," said Dr Venter.
'New industrial revolution'
Continue reading the main story

If you release new organisms into the environment, you can do more harm than good

Dr Helen Wallace Genewatch UK

Dr Venter and his colleagues hope eventually to design and build new bacteria that will perform useful functions.

"I think they're going to potentially create a new industrial revolution," he said.

"If we can really get cells to do the production that we want, they could help wean us off oil and reverse some of the damage to the environment by capturing carbon dioxide."

Dr Venter and his colleagues are already collaborating with pharmaceutical and fuel companies to design and develop chromosomes for bacteria that would produce useful fuels and new vaccines.

But critics say that the potential benefits of synthetic organisms have been overstated.

Dr Helen Wallace from Genewatch UK, an organisation that monitors developments in genetic technologies, told BBC News that the use of synthetic bacteria could be dangerous.

"If you release new organisms into the environment, you can do more harm than good," she said.

"By releasing them into areas of pollution, you're releasing a new kind of pollution.

"We don't know how these organisms will behave in the environment."

Dr Wallace accused Dr Venter of playing down the potential drawbacks.

"He isn't God." she said, "he's actually being very human; trying to get money invested in his technology and avoid regulation that would restrict its use."

But Dr Venter said that he was "driving the discussions" about the regulations governing this relatively new scentific field and about the ethical implications of the work.

He said: "In 2003, when we made the first synthetic virus, it underwent extensive ethical review that went all the way up to the level of the White House.

"And there have been extensive reviews including from the National Academy of Sciences, which has done a comprehensive report on this new field.

"We think these are important issues and we urge continued discussion that we want to take part in."
Genetic breakthrough

Dr Gos Micklem, a geneticist from the University of Cambridge said that the advance was "undoubtedly a landmark" study.

But, he said, "there is already a wealth of simple, cheap, powerful and mature techniques for genetically engineering a range of organisms. Therefore, for the time being, this approach is unlikely to supplant existing methods for genetic engineering".

The ethical discussions surrounding the creation of synthetic life are set to continue.

Professor Julian Savulescu, from the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics at the University of Oxford, said the potential of this science was "in the far future, but real and significant: dealing with pollution, new energy sources, new forms of communication".

"But the risks are also unparalleled," he conintued. "We need new standards of safety evaluation for this kind of radical research and protections from military or terrorist misuse and abuse.

"These could be used in the future to make the most powerful bioweapons imaginable. The challenge is to eat the fruit without the worm."

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
Oh the discussions with this is gonna be good.

What I see:
1. Fixing spinal cords in injured people
2. Resorting eyesight
3. Making immune systems stronger

and I'm saying this since they claim it can duplicate a living cell. So much potential in this. I don't care about the enviroment crap. It's fixing US!!

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
Oh the discussions with this is gonna be good.

What I see:
1. Fixing spinal cords in injured people
2. Resorting eyesight
3. Making immune systems stronger

and I'm saying this since they claim it can duplicate a living cell. So much potential in this. I don't care about the enviroment crap. It's fixing US!!
How long do I have to wait until I get my own Sofia Vergara damnit?

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 3 View Post
How long do I have to wait until I get my own Sofia Vergara damnit?
Damn, beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Oh how I miss Carl....

"Sagan's scientific interest in planetary surfaces and atmospheres led him to investigate the origins of life on earth and to champion the study of exobiology (the biology of extraterrestrial life). In the mid-1950s Harold Urey and Stanley Miller successfully produced key organic compounds in the laboratory by simulating the physical and chemical conditions that prevailed upon earth shortly before the first forms of life appeared. Building upon this research, Sagan irradiated a mixture of methane, ammonia, water, and hydrogen sulfide. In these experiments he was able to produce amino acids and adenosine triphosphate (ATP), complex chemical compounds which are crucial to living cells. Sagan's foray into biochemistry contributed to a better understanding of the nature and origins of terrestrial life and testified to his competence in fields of science beyond astronomy."

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
black magic

Sportbike: gxr600k8
Years Riding: 4yrs
How you found us: newenough.com

wow that was a good hr of looking up pics

i want to drink, but only to kill a certain few brain cells and i don't care how many i have to take out to get to them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Are You Gellin'?

Sportbike: 2008 Ducati 1098s, 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2005 Honda VFR800
Years Riding: Almost 20
How you found us: web

Yes Bio that took a while

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode