Apple Overtakes Microsoft in Market Cap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Apple Overtakes Microsoft in Market Cap

Its been a long time coming...
Props to Mr. Jobs for his excellent work.
-----------------------------------------------------------
May 26 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc., the computer maker turned mobile gadgeteer, overtook Microsoft Corp. to become the most valuable technology company on optimism the company will keep adding customers for its iPhone, Macintosh computer and iPad.

Apple’s market value reached $225.1 billion, surpassing Microsoft’s $222.3 billion at 3 p.m. New York time in Nasdaq Stock Market trading. That makes Apple the most valuable technology firm in the world. It’s also the second-largest U.S. stock by market value, behind oil company Exxon Mobil Corp., valued at $280.6 billion on the New York Stock Exchange.

After a 16 percent gain this year, Apple’s stock climbed to $252.13 in intraday trading today. Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs last month said profit almost doubled and sales soared 49 percent on demand for the iPhone. The results don’t yet include the iPad, which went on sale after the close of the second quarter for the Cupertino, California-based company.

Jobs, 55, said Apple sold more than 1 million tablets in the U.S. in the first 28 days after its April 3 debut and that demand is outpacing supply. The iPad goes on sale outside the U.S. later this week.

Apple’s rise came as Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft slipped as much as 5.5 percent to $24.64 in Nasdaq trading. The world’s largest software maker last month said third-quarter sales rose 6.3 percent to $14.5 billion, below the most optimistic estimates. While both profit and sales exceeded the average estimate of analysts in a Bloomberg survey, some investors held out for larger gains, said Dave Stepherson, a fund manager at Hardesty Capital Management in Baltimore.

Unearned revenue, a measure of multiyear contracts, also fell short of some estimates, a sign business demand may not be picking up as quickly as some analysts had predicted.

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Wow, pretty cool. Thanks for posting!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Another Polak

Sportbike: '05 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: Since '04
How you found us: Friend

Apple rocks my world.

" Never drive faster, than your guardian angel can fly."

My Garage

PSN: chamala2000

Peter
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
but they still claim they are not the "big guy" i'm not shocked, they sell hardware, Microsoft only sells software it was only a matter of time. congrats to them.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:36 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

a bit dated but....

Why everyone's afraid of Apple

By Brett Arends, WSJ.com

Last Update: 12:01 AM ET May 4, 2010

BOSTON (MarketWatch) -- Apple Inc. used to be the company that everybody loved. Now it's the company everybody fears.

Take Wall Street. It's terrified of this stock.

Fund managers are afraid not to own it. Hedge funds are afraid to bet against it. And you can sort of see why. Apple (AAPL) has repeatedly blown past forecasts and the stock has skyrocketed. The company just reported an early boom in iPad sales. Anyone who had bet the other way is already feeling it: The stock jumped again Monday to $267, near a new record. The stock, which fell Friday, bounced $5 to $266, nearing a new all-time high. Five years ago it was around $35. Read more about iPad sales.

Analysts have been cowed by Apple. Forty cover it. But according to data from Thomson Reuters, no fewer than 36 of them are bullish, rating it either a "buy" or "outperform." Just one analyst rates it as a sell.

Journalists are terrified of this company too.

Why? Just ask Jason Chen - the editor at tech blog Gizmodo who got his hands on the next iPhone. Apple's response? They sent in the police, who smashed down Chen's front door, ransacked his house -- while he was out -- and carted off computers and files. When Chen returned home from dinner with his wife, they frisked him too.

No wonder Jon Stewart at the Daily Show called the company "Appholes" and likened this to 1984. (When I emailed Chen about the incident, he said he couldn't talk.)

And everybody knows Apple's competitors have pretty much had a meltdown of Apple terror.

Rival computer makers, in awe of the iPad, have scrapped or punted tablet PCs. Websites are rewriting code because Jobs has banned Adobe Flash from the iPhone and iPad. Even Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) is afraid. Not only does the iPad threaten the Kindle, but according to an account by Ken Auletta in the New Yorker, Apple may be willing to help publishers boycott the Kindle until Amazon agrees to stick it to the public by raising the price of e-books.

(That $9.99 e-book will now cost you $14, ma'am. Don't thank us. Thank billionaire Steve Jobs.)

Has Apple, once the Rebel Alliance, become the Evil Empire? Has Anakin Skywalker become Darth Vader?

Call me ornery. But the time to start asking really tough questions is when everyone else is too cowed to do so. And here goes.

First, has Apple risen too far?

Do the math. Apple stock is $266. And there are just under 1 billion of these shares in existence. At current prices, if you wanted to buy the entire company it would cost you about $240 billion.

To put that in context, for the same amount of money you could own Newmont Mining Corp. (NEM), the world's largest gold-mining company.

And E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Co. (DD), the chemicals giant.

And Kellogg Co. (K), whose products appear on every breakfast table.

And Shrek studio DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. (DWA)

And H& R Block Inc. (HRB), the company that does everybody's taxes.

And The New York Times Co. (NYT) And Molson Coors Brewing Co.(TAP)

And the Estee Lauder Cos Inc. (EL)

And Tiffany & Co. (TIF), the Hershey Co. (HSY), Harley-Davidson Inc. (HOG), Expedia Inc.(EXPE), Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF), American Eagle Outfitters (AEO), Burger King Holdings Inc. (BKC), CBS Corp. (CBS), Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. (CMG), Whole Foods Market Inc. (WFMI), Starbucks Corp. (SBUX), Netflix Inc. (NFLX), JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU), NStar (NST), and Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. (DPS)

No kidding.

I have no problem with paying more for Apple than for any of these companies. But for all of them put together? Seriously?

If you had $240 billion, which would you rather own?

As for all those analysts... the last time we saw that kind of cheerleading was probably among the analysts covering the homebuilders during the bubble in 2005.

Before that, it must have been the dotcoms in... early 2000.

The time to buy a stock is when everyone hates it, not when everyone owns it and is too scared to sell. (The analysts are more bullish now than they were when the stock was $100.)

Second, is Apple starting to lose some of its luster?

Getting ripped by the Daily Show's Stewart was a serious black eye. Apple's a brand company. From a figure like Stewart, this hurts.

And there was something else worrying in the Gizmodo affair.

That new iPhone? What a total meh. So what if it has new volume controls? Or a metal strip around the side? Apple needs people to line up round the block for its next product. Will this really be enough?

Occasionally, an Apple fanatic accuses me of being a long-standing bear of the stock. It's total nonsense. Just for the record, at the lows in late 2008, when Apple stock sank to $86, I recommended it.

And last summer I warned, very specifically, that Apple stock was unlikely to produce the kind of gains over the next five years that it had produced over the previous five. That would take the stock to $1,450 by 2014. I stand by my argument: Anything is possible, but that's quite a bet. And the higher it has risen, the less attractive it becomes as an investment. Sorry folks, but it won't rise forever. The company based at One Infinite Loop does not have One Infinite Stock.

Brett Arends's has recently been published by John Wiley & Co.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Apple Overtakes Microsoft in Market Cap

Just goes to show that the most important technology product no longer sits on your desk but rather fits in your hand.

Mopar, Microsoft also makes hardware: Zune, Xbox, WebTV, etc. But they all suck, like most of their software products.

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 06:06 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 3 View Post
Mopar, Microsoft also makes hardware: Zune, Xbox, WebTV, etc. But they all suck, like most of their software products.
lol, i totally forgot about the xbox webTV does anyone even own one of these things anymore?

but either way, apple has more products out there for people to buy.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode