Fiberglass Repair - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Sold the D650 and now sportin an 04 R1
Years Riding: Miles or years? I got em both under my belt...
How you found us: Member

Fiberglass Repair

Thinkin about pickin up a set of wave runners from another family member. Price is pretty attractive, but one of the skis needs a little fiberglass repair. I have priced out some of the repair kits, and it doesn't seem to be that difficult to repair. That being said, I have never repaired fiberglass before- so I really dont know what I dont know. Anybody have any tips/suggestions? Also, if you have experience w/ fiberglass and you want to give me an idea of what you would charge to do the work- I am down.

Also, I am mostly intested in these because the price seems good and they could be a lot of fun. I am mostly concerned w/ getting the fiberglass repaired and sealed to prevent any water getting into unnecessary areas. The front piece can be rattle canned afterwards for all I care. I just want to get out on the water and have some fun!!

- Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WR2a.jpg (65.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg WR2c.jpg (50.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by TDaytona650; 06-17-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

There is a sweet thread about fiberglass repair . I think the guy is a pro , look it up.
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...d.php?t=104091

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
There is a sweet thread about fiberglass repair . I think the guy is a pro , look it up.
Thanks! I actually read through a lot of this the other day when the post was originally started. Problem I had w/ it was that too many people were putting their in to make a joke instead of keeping things technical or on the point. I re-read the whole post just now and I am pretty sure it can be summarized in 5-6 posts instead of 2 pages!! Either way, good info!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Don't argue, you'll lose

Sportbike: NA
Years Riding: NA
How you found us: Na

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Nice Stanimal, not sure if you were trying to be a jerk or if you were serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDaytona650 View Post
Thanks! I actually read through a lot of this the other day when the post was originally started. Problem I had w/ it was that too many people were putting their in to make a joke instead of keeping things technical or on the point. I re-read the whole post just now and I am pretty sure it can be summarized in 5-6 posts instead of 2 pages!! Either way, good info!
Tdaytona, I am nowhere near pro, first time I actually am fiberglassing, I got some pointers from a couple people and went on my way... I can try to help you as much as I can, but theres a limit to what I can do. I will say that my OCD side is VERY helpful with doing fiberglass.

As far as hole repair, from what I remember reading somewhere online, first you need to put something under the hole just to fill it (be it a plastic cut out of something duct taped) then you lay down the fiberglass, you start with the sides and and then go into the center.

Best way to lay the cut fiberglass is with a paint brush... I bought 4 paintbrushes for 1.09 at the dollar general, and they serve their purpose. You first put some resin down then lay the fiberglass followed by more resin, take the brush and dab into the fiberglass to fill every crack and airbubble (if you don't you'll have little airpockets after you sand it down.)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
ok i didnt even look at the pics first...

anyways you need to sand down the surrounding area on the outside, clean up the edges, adn make a backing plate, use carnuba wax and a manilla folder and coat one side of the folder with at least 10 coats of wax, make sure the paper cannot absorb any more wax this is imperative.

take the folder material adn cut it to fit the hole plus 1.5" around on the outside of this part

flip the part over so you looking at the inside now with 80 grit paper adn a power sander like an air angle grinder with 2" disc sand the surrounding area. of the hole

wipe all surfaces off with a damp cloth to remove all sanding dust and go back to the outside of the part

ductape the manilla folder backing plate on to the outside making sure it lays flat ont he surface all over.

youll want to use fiberglass mat for this repair as it offers a uni-directional strength as opposed to cloth which has a bias.

i use bondo resin for this kind of stuff in the current heat we have youll want to use a couple drops loss of the clear hardner than is called for, (2 oz resin = 26 drops of hardner per directions , you would use 24 drops) the reason for this is 2 fold, it slows the reaction down some giving you more working time and it lets the resin actually cure stronger since its slower

generously paint on a coating of resinadn lay the glass mat over the hole after youve cut it to fit the area +2" per side or more. after you lay the glass down add more resin with a dabbing motion until the glass is fully wetted out. allow to cure and move on to the next hole. youll remove the backing plates all at once once youre done glassing

-Jason
CCS AM #31

Last edited by Pilotx1; 06-18-2010 at 12:42 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Don't argue, you'll lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
post pics of the damage, the technique to repair a hull is far far different from what you do to repair body work on a bike

water is incredibly abusive when youre crashing through it at 30mph
Ah, I figured as much, thought I'd throw in what I do know.

Cheers Jason
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Pilot & Kerosene. I will try to get this done this weekend. Is there any place in particular that I should go to find these materials (carnuba wax, hardener, resin, etc)?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 AM

carnuba wax is conveniently available as car wax, look for it on the label you want 100%

walmart sells quares of the bondo brand fiberglass resin and packages of the glass

those plastic credit cards you get in the mail make nice squeegees and the paint brushes sell at ace hardware for liek 40cents as 1" chip brushes

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
Nice Stanimal, not sure if you were trying to be a jerk or if you were serious

Yes.

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Don't argue, you'll lose

Quote:
ok i didnt even look at the pics first...

anyways you need to sand down the surrounding area on the outside, clean up the edges, adn make a backing plate, use carnuba wax and a manilla folder and coat one side of the folder with at least 10 coats of wax, make sure the paper cannot absorb any more wax this is imperative.

take the folder material adn cut it to fit the hole plus 1.5" around on the outside of this part

flip the part over so you looking at the inside now with 80 grit paper adn a power sander like an air angle grinder with 2" disc sand the surrounding area. of the hole

wipe all surfaces off with a damp cloth to remove all sanding dust and go back to the outside of the part

ductape the manilla folder backing plate on to the outside making sure it lays flat ont he surface all over.

youll want to use fiberglass mat for this repair as it offers a uni-directional strength as opposed to cloth which has a bias.

i use bondo resin for this kind of stuff in the current heat we have youll want to use a couple drops loss of the clear hardner than is called for, (2 oz resin = 26 drops of hardner per directions , you would use 24 drops) the reason for this is 2 fold, it slows the reaction down some giving you more working time and it lets the resin actually cure stronger since its slower

generously paint on a coating of resinadn lay the glass mat over the hole after youve cut it to fit the area +2" per side or more. after you lay the glass down add more resin with a dabbing motion until the glass is fully wetted out. allow to cure and move on to the next hole. youll remove the backing plates all at once once youre done glassing
I was actually pretty close nice write up

TDaytona, I have extra mat if you require some, I didn't use the actual mat, I was using the cut.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:21 PM

my post is essentially a body work repair because of the location of the damage, on the water hull it would have been done differently

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
my post is essentially a body work repair because of the location of the damage, on the water hull it would have been done differently
With all of this info, this project seems like something that I can handle relatively easily as long as I take my time and dont rush. With this repair being on the top side of the hull and being exposed to the water directly, are there any other things that I need to take into consideration?

The only thing that I can forsee is perhaps making the area strong enough to withstand the direct impact/beating of the water at 30-40mph. Can this be addressed by just laying down more layers? How many layers are recommended? And...can the 'multi-directional' fabric be layered to achieve the same effect (increased strength)?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM

the topside really shouldnt be seeing a lot of direct beating form the water, It will see a lot of spray and whatnot but nothing like the beating the water side takes

the overlap of the glass mat will make things quite strong

if you feel the need after you have all of the patches laid down you can go over the entire area with a single large sheet of mat and cover everything over but I dont think that would be necessary.

-Jason
CCS AM #31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode