Hit from behind at a light today by an uninsured motorist - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '09 Ninja 250
Years Riding: 3rd season
How you found us: Google It, Google It

Hit from behind at a light today by an uninsured motorist

I was riding east on Roosevelt in Lombard, and just rolled to a stop at a red light in front of the on-ramp to 355S when a '02 Monte Carlo hit me from behind, which made me (briefly) airborn, and put the bike down hard on it's right side.

I managed to land on my feet and (unintentionally, of course) strike a very Todd McFarlane esq SpiderMan pose with no injuries, but the bike, while ride-able, has an initial estimate of at least 2K worth of damages. (Damn, those fairings are expensive!)

The guy presented the state trooper with an expired insurance card (same company as mine), and hasn't had an active policy since late last year.

Every time I stop I:
  1. Keep it in 1st and watch my mirrors until the car behind me is at rest
  2. Intentionally offset my lane position to the extreme left or right, thus giving me an escape route + it (in theory) gives a driver a bit of a window to avoid me
I was about to implement "1" when he hit me, but "2" was in place, and if he was paying attention he could have easily avoided me. He unconvincingly told the cop he "swerved to avoid a car", so I guess hitting me was a better option for him.

A fellow rider (in a truck) rolled up to the scene, helped me pick the bike up (thank you!), and said to the guy who hit me "I think you need one of these", and handed him a "Start Seeing Motorcycles" bumper sticker!

Given that he doesn't have insurance, I suppose the "best case" scenario is I don't recover my deductible, the bike gets repaired (or totaled?) under my uninsured motorist policy, and hopefully, my rate remains the same. I don't think he was issued any citations, and my insurer gave me the impression that there is little or no penalty for driving without insurance and crashing into a motorcyclist.

A few of my non-riding friends have mocked my practice of ATGATT, especially during the summer, when said gear includes an Alpinestars CE Level 2 back protector and riding pants, but I'm really glad I had it today (even though I didn't fully "test" it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Glad you are ok, and State Farm didn't raise my rates when I totalled my D675 last year. Did the guy that hit you get a ticket for non-insured motorist? If not, I would be calling the city you were hit in and ask why they didn't.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Good to know that you're ok.
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Glad you are ok, and State Farm didn't raise my rates when I totalled my D675 last year. Did the guy that hit you get a ticket for non-insured motorist? If not, I would be calling the city you were hit in and ask why they didn't.
Thanks, and that's good to know.

I don't think he got a ticket, and the "Driver Information Exchange" form given to me by the state trooper doesn't indicate anything one way or the other, so I need to request a copy of the actual report.

I'm guessing that because it occurred in front of the on-ramp, it falls under the jurisdiction of the state police instead of the township. I wonder if the outcome (ticket-wise) would have been different if this was not the case.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 3 View Post
Good to know that you're ok.
Thank you.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 PM

When you sent in the accident report to the state, put in very large lettering that the jagoff that hit you doesn't have insurance. Maybe the shitty state will follow up and issue a ticket.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
When you sent in the accident report to the state, put in very large lettering that the jagoff that hit you doesn't have insurance. Maybe the shitty state will follow up and issue a ticket.
I'll give it a shot, but I have little faith that the bureaucracy will enforce the law this time around (if it hasn't already).
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

dude glad you're ok. and glad you didn't bow to your non-riding peers and kept your gear on. bikes can be repaired.

ride safe everybody

visor down
nesba #608
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Sportbike: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple, 2000 and 2008 R6 track bikes
Years Riding: Not long enough.
How you found us: another local forum

The officer on scene should have issued him a couple of tickets and he should have a mandatory court date. Call the police department that did your report and find out the court date. Make sure you go to court. If you don't some of the tickets could be thrown out.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Glad you're alright, but how was he NOT issued a citation? He rear-ended you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride View Post
The officer on scene should have issued him a couple of tickets and he should have a mandatory court date. Call the police department that did your report and find out the court date. Make sure you go to court. If you don't some of the tickets could be thrown out.
+100000
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride View Post
This.

Seriously, if that guy got no tickets, that fucking cop needs to get fired.
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 PM

I was hit in Melrose Park by an uninsured motorist and she was not given a ticket. Let the sgt. Working watch that night know, and he said he would look into it.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
damn dude.. glad you are ok.

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

The dude that ran my dad over on his bike and killed him got a failure to yield ticket. Mother fuckin cock suckin bastard.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-a-boom View Post
Thanks, and that's good to know.

I don't think he got a ticket, and the "Driver Information Exchange" form given to me by the state trooper doesn't indicate anything one way or the other, so I need to request a copy of the actual report.

I'm guessing that because it occurred in front of the on-ramp, it falls under the jurisdiction of the state police instead of the township. I wonder if the outcome (ticket-wise) would have been different if this was not the case.
If he didn't get a ticket, that's BULLSHIT!! Hell, I got a ticket for no insurance when I got hit (Other person's fault) and had an expired card in my car. Easy fix for me, though. I took the new card in a few days later and it was dropped.

Glad to hear you are OK!

If you get a court date for the other person, I would show up. Your insurance's lawyers will be on it for you I hope!

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all!

I couldn't hear the entire conversation he had with the trooper while he was returning his paperwork and license, but I was watching the physical exchange (hoping to see a stack of tickets being handed to him), but he appeared to only receive the same exact form that I got (which is pretty useless), + his license / expired insurance card. The form has my insurance details, but clearly lists "None" under his.

The guy who hit me got his paperwork first, and bolted as soon as he received it. I should have asked the trooper if he was issued any violations, but I will still "happy to be alive guy" at the time, and a bit preoccupied about the deadlines at work that were still looming despite this incident.

I'll give the trooper the benefit of the doubt until I see the report. If he has a court date, I *will* be there! (I assume I should make my presence known to the prosecutor before the session begins.)
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-a-boom View Post
Thanks all!

I couldn't hear the entire conversation he had with the trooper while he was returning his paperwork and license, but I was watching the physical exchange (hoping to see a stack of tickets being handed to him), but he appeared to only receive the same exact form that I got (which is pretty useless), + his license / expired insurance card. The form has my insurance details, but clearly lists "None" under his.

The guy who hit me got his paperwork first, and bolted as soon as he received it. I should have asked the trooper if he was issued any violations, but I will still "happy to be alive guy" at the time, and a bit preoccupied about the deadlines at work that were still looming despite this incident.

I'll give the trooper the benefit of the doubt until I see the report. If he has a court date, I *will* be there! (I assume I should make my presence known to the prosecutor before the session begins.)
Glad to hear it's notated he had NONE under insurance!

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

The most important thing is you are OK...The bike can be fixed or replaced.
That being said, if the trooper did not issue a ticket to the driver for not having insurance, he was NOT doing his sworn duty, he was not doing his job!...If the report was taken by the state police at a 355 ramp then the trooper was most likely District 15 which is the tollway's own district. I would call or visit the district headquarters (located in the tollway adminsitration building in Downers Grove) and ask for all the info regarding the report, a copy of the report and to know what citations were issued. If they can't come up with citation info or tell you no citation was issued I'd ask to speak to the commander and ask him why. There should be no officer discretion when the driver is involved in an accident while uninsured.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenboy... View Post
dude glad you're ok. and glad you didn't bow to your non-riding peers and kept your gear on. bikes can be repaired.
I think the contradictory stance that it is crazy to ride a motorcycle in the first place, but equally absurd to wear anything more than a helmet is a result of:
  • The hack/dated, romanticized Hollywood archetype of a "rebel" on two wheels (rebels don't wear safety gear)1 2
  • It's human nature to gravitate towards all-or-nothing belief systems (see also: politics)
1. The modern rebel gets a pass on wearing a helmet
2. It is acceptable to exploit the rebel thing if it gets you laid
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:52 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

I serious doubt a state trooper is going to let a motorist drive uninsured. I am willing to bet that he in fact does have insurance just didnt have the updated card.

I was pulled over on sheridan rd, didnt have updated card but had two other cards for the bikes that were up to date. I was let go.

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

i thought thats the norm. You get a ticket for no insurance and they let you drive off.

I had a friend that got nailed on the highway, and the tropper gave them a ticket vs the person that hit my friend. Got dropped in court, but a waste of time with the hassle.
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Damn dude, glad the story ended with only the bike damaged. Another thing I do when at lights stopped is tap my brakes when I see a car approaching. Especially found this helpful when I have a car in from of me since I guess I can blend in.

Under200
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

You said his expired card was from teh same co as you. Have your agent check him out. There might be insurance.

Craig
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: Its my first time ;)
How you found us: Leghumpers Anonymous

Glad to hear your ok. Get a copy of the police report. this should contain all of this persons information. Sue this person in civil court. Anytime you hit/bump/touch/rub someone elses property and cause damage you're liable to pay for that damage. And with civil court you can include court costs. There will be a maximum amount ~$5000.

WERA CCS EX #169
I would like to thank the 2014 sponsors...
Riders Discount AllBalls Racing Woodcraft VinylSaurusRex Pit Bull Chicken Hawk Racing
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Glad you're ok. G'luck with everything. Let your insurance fight it out with the guy. I always do when I'm not at fault. Easier process plus they have lawyers to get their money back.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 AM
^^^Bad for your hearing

Sportbike: 2007 gsxr 600
Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport
How you found us: heard from a member

Send a message via AIM to streetracin1820
Glad your okay though bro

Cant add anything above except to agree with what everyone said. Talk to you agent if he has the same company and let the insurance fight it, if insurance wont fight it then this is one of the few cases in which i say sue the bastarad and get the moneys.

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

This happened to me, I was hurt a bit worse but not too bad.

I was rear ended at one of the left side feeder ramps on 94 in the city, there was a huge idot truck at the bottom with his lights on so you had to stop and then merge.. I stopped and this dumbass (a doorman at a local hotel I later found out) came flying down and rear ended me. He then tried to run but two people on 94 chased him - one on a BMW GS and the other in a truck - they caught him, I ended up being transported to the hospital - he and I both gave our cards to the cop while I was in the ambulance. It turned out he got the card but never paid on his insurance so he had no insurance - I guess this is common per my atty.

I went to court twice - he didn't show either time and both times they continued it. I never received a third notice of when to show - so I am assuming he just walked on it.

The cop didn't do anything about him hitting me and trying to run (i heard the conversation as I was strapped to a board 6' away from where they were talking - the two people who chased him down and forced him to the side seemed pretty pissed about it)
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
I serious doubt a state trooper is going to let a motorist drive uninsured. I am willing to bet that he in fact does have insurance just didnt have the updated card.

I was pulled over on sheridan rd, didnt have updated card but had two other cards for the bikes that were up to date. I was let go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
You said his expired card was from teh same co as you. Have your agent check him out. There might be insurance.
The official form provided by the trooper lists "None" under his insurance, but he gave me his policy # on an index card, and told me to call them and check if he has an active policy.

When I called my agent to start the claims process, he put me on hold, ran his policy (we have the same insurance company), and told me it his policy has not been in force since November of '09.

At this point, the only open question is whether or not he was cited for not having insurance. I'm going to make some calls this afternoon, but I have a hunch I won't know for sure until I get the official report.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I just made a few phone calls: The report is not in the system yet, and the trooper involved is off today, but they are leaving him a note asking him to call me.

I'm going to ask him for the court date if he did issue one.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

What the "F" is the deal with your avitar? - do I know you? Do we have a problem?

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode