Nobbie thread to accident avoidance? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Nobbie thread to accident avoidance?

When i was riding to work today something hit me, obviously the crash threads are on my mind. But why not have a thread about the accidents we've avoided by doing some of the things we talk about? We deal with at least 1 scenario probably everytime we hop on the bike. (2 today for me) and nobody ever posts about them but new riders might not ever hear of these tricks or instances until its to late.

So what do you look for before you take that "emergency action"

I'll start this

Today on the way to work

* On the expressway and i was well into my lane and a car just decided to come half way into my lane while not even bother to look. I swung out of the lane and kicked his door in the process. Proceeded to flip him off and the dick actually has the nerve to flip me back like its my fault.

(I took action when i saw his tires come over that white line and just began to come into my lane, if i would've waited till he was half way in I would've been picking myself off 90/94 right now)

* My other was the same of what happened last night, keeping an eye on your 6. Slow traffic, I saw the guy behind me texting so I kept an extra eye on him and sure enough i was on the outer portion of the lane and he wasn't slowing enough so i moved out to the white line and next thing i see he is even with me in my lane. I jumped off the bike and proceeded to give him an earful. Of course he just said sorry and acted like nothing happened.

What you guys got?

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
he who is absent foreskin

Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via AIM to Loki047
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

i gas it when my spidey sense is tingling
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Since this started of as a sarcastic thread, here is my two cents: loud pipes save lives.

Greg

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

When I see traffic starting to bunch up ahead of me, I stand it up and split the lanes on one wheel so I dont get rear ended by the cars behind me that arent paying attention. Yut-uggggghhhh.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

All I learned from this thread is that Mark is a bad ass kicking doors and jumping off bikes and whatnot

Eric
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

If IL had CCW, you could have just shot him....

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAlero View Post
Proceeded to flip him off and the dick actually has the nerve to flip me back like its my fault.
*I would not recommend flipping people off when riding. You NEVER know what kind of mood the other person is in, their mentality, or what they're capable of doing to you with their vehicle.
Bike vs automobile -- No fight there.

*Ninjaeric flashes his break lights while at red lights. I picked up that habit since I've got a black bike with black gear.

*Avoid riding on highways near downtown on Friday and Saturday nights; seen too many drunk driving accidents in front of my eyes.

*If you're in a highspeed turn and see something abnormal (cop, animal, big pothole), don't act abruptly and grab the breaks. Follow through the turn smartly.

Last but not least: Don't forget to use clutch in turn
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 3 View Post

Last but not least: Don't forget to use clutch in turn
I like the way you beat some smart ass to the punch.

Greg

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:31 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
When i was riding to work today something hit me,
Pun intended?

Quote:
* On the expressway and i was well into my lane and a car just decided to come half way into my lane while not even bother to look. I swung out of the lane and kicked his door in the process. Proceeded to flip him off and the dick actually has the nerve to flip me back like its my fault.
He was flipping you off because you kicked his door.

I try to avoid situations like that by not riding in people's blindspots. Also, if I notice someone behind me texting, I accelerate and get clear of them.

I don't deal with 1 scenerio (better word would be incident) per ride. I very rarely have problems with cars because I ride defensively and work hard to keep myself out of those situations.

Be proactive, not just reactive.

And kicking someone's door is kinda stupid. You are much better off spending your attention on controling your bike.

It is kinda like running in front of a train. Human vs. train. train will win.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.

Last edited by jrock; 08-26-2010 at 05:36 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 PM
You got the talkin' done

Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!

also, if you see a drunk driver, stay behind them.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
I like the way you beat some smart ass to the punch.
Haha...well this scene pretty much describes CLSB so might as well say it before someone else does.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:42 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

what does any of this have to do with nobbie tires?

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Pun intended?

He was flipping you off because you kicked his door.

I try to avoid situations like that by not riding in people's blindspots. Also, if I notice someone behind me texting, I accelerate and get clear of them.

I don't deal with 1 scenerio (better word would be incident) per ride. I very rarely have problems with cars because I ride defensively and work hard to keep myself out of those situations.

Be proactive, not just reactive.

And kicking someone's door is kinda stupid. You are much better off spending your attention on controling your bike.

It is kinda like running in front of a train. Human vs. train. train will win.
the door kick was not intentional. Guess its a knee jerk reaction if somebody comes close to me ill stick my leg out. So I worded that wrong because technically i was still moving away and hit door hit my foot.

I agree with ya because I ride defensively, but some things you just have to avoid. That's the point of this thread, is those instances where riding and easily avoiding situations just doesnt always work.

Trying to give new riders the flip side of people crashing since some may not know when to use the things we beat into their heads.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
also, if you see a drunk driver, stay behind them.
Because they can be fun as hell to watch.
I once watched a guy repeatedly slam into the cement barrier on lake shore drive - for over a mile - he just kept ramming it throwing sparks all over the place and sometimes climbing up it a bit.

he continued on all the way down to the exit by science and industry and got off... He even passed a cop who was radaring the oncoming lanes - while grinding against the wall - and nothing happened
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

What does kicking a door have to do with my ability to own a gun?

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post
Because they can be fun as hell to watch.
I once watched a guy repeatedly slam into the cement barrier on lake shore drive - for over a mile - he just kept ramming it throwing sparks all over the place and sometimes climbing up it a bit.

he continued on all the way down to the exit by science and industry and got off... He even passed a cop who was radaring the oncoming lanes - while grinding against the wall - and nothing happened
wtf

oh and be careful about riding in the rain with new tires when there is a monsoon out there.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Quote:
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 PM
You got the talkin' done

Quote:
the door kick was not intentional. Guess its a knee jerk reaction if somebody comes close to me ill stick my leg out. So I worded that wrong because technically i was still moving away and hit door hit my foot.

I agree with ya because I ride defensively, but some things you just have to avoid. That's the point of this thread, is those instances where riding and easily avoiding situations just doesnt always work.

Trying to give new riders the flip side of people crashing since some may not know when to use the things we beat into their heads.
Your post sounds like everytime you go riding you have to avoid an incident. Over the past 16+ years of riding on the street, I haven't had that experience. Long ago I discovered that I am my own worst enemy and my focus is most often on keeping myself out of those situations ahead of time.

And if sticking your leg out is a knee jerk reaction, you should work on stopping that. You should have better control. That's a good way to injur yourself. Kinda like if you are in a boat or a wet bike, you don't stick your hand or arm or leg out if someone is about to hit you.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM
he who is absent foreskin

Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 3 View Post
Haha...well this scene pretty much describes CLSB so might as well say it before someone else does.

Poor puppies
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your post sounds like everytime you go riding you have to avoid an incident. Over the past 16+ years of riding on the street, I haven't had that experience. Long ago I discovered that I am my own worst enemy and my focus is most often on keeping myself out of those situations ahead of time.

And if sticking your leg out is a knee jerk reaction, you should work on stopping that. You should have better control. That's a good way to injur yourself. Kinda like if you are in a boat or a wet bike, you don't stick your hand or arm or leg out if someone is about to hit you.
I wouldn't say every time no, but they do happen. Usually its easy to predict when a car is going to change lanes so situations like that are avoidable.

For instance, something people might not think about is stay out of right lanes in the city. A lot of the pavement in extremely uneven its almost a slope type effect. Not something you think about but the nugget that it could be there may save a new rider who doesnt know an area from a fall.

I know you guys have tons of these little things happen that could help somebody else. Nobody knows it all when it comes to riding and anything we can do to help each other could be the difference they need. We shouldn't wait until somebody crashes to tell somebody the lesson from it.

Dgrsuspension.com

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Quote:
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 06:22 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

little tips that everybody should know but maybe newbies don't?

How about don't ride in the middle of the lane - there is often all kinds of gunk there that reduces traction - ride to the right or the left of the lane as the situation dictates. I see people doing this all the time.

I flash my brakes when I am stopping suddenly (if I can) 9 times out of 10 I am more paranoid about being packed by the guy behind me than I am about not being able to stop in time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode