Dog owners I need advise on dog walkers and weekend sitters. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Dog owners I need advise on dog walkers and weekend sitters.

Well being a single parent of 2 big dogs is taking it's toll on my work and social life. I really can't and shouldn't rely on family or friends. I am by myself now which means I must get back home every 6 hours to let them use the bathroom. Not to mention I can't be gone for a single night let alone go away for a weekend!!

I love them to death I can't even bare the thought of someone being mean to them. I don't know any of the neighbors around where I am living to ask this.

So I need to find a service or someone on here that does not have dogs cause I don't want my dogs to deal with other dogs if I did a weekend away.

I want there best care in mind. But funds are tight right now.

Any ideas and I am in Plainfield if there is a service to look into and what do I look forin them when choosing??

Thanks, signed Land Locked

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Find friends that live closer to you?

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Mmmmmm....

Sportbike: RIP Rsux
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Pinkrider
You can't bring them with you on your nights away?

Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard wrapped in tin foil.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
The weekends away are tough, but why letting them out every six hours, are they older or puppies or medical condition?

Greg

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

If you can't find someone, putting them on a set feeding time/amount will help them establish a shitting pattern that you can then work around. Just adjust the feeding time forward/backwards to make the shitting align up with your schedule. Also, if you keep your place relatively comfortable, you can limit the amount of water (or none at all) that is around to make them less prone to pissing throughout the day. Most dogs like to just sleep (and sometimes pout) when there's nothing to eat or drink around and no one to play with.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

It's there normal internal clock. Pebbles needs that more then stone. Pebbles will shit if she really has to go. All there life either me or the exwife was home. Well now it's just
me.

Lori it's like impossible to go on a weekend trip somehwere cause hotels I can't find most places font take dogs and about the only shit you can do is go camping.
Sometimes I just wanna enjoy one day or one weekend a month doing what I want and knowing there ok. They are always on my mind I love em so much. It's just really tough now with two large dogs that are sweet as babyies but since it's a pitbull and a rott well every hotel is lime fuck no!! And places I normally go don't allow dogs period. So I gotta find places I can which also why I ask....what can we go out and do as with my lil family unit of dogs. Lol

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di

Here is a search result from Angies List for dog walkers near Plainfield. Hope you find some assistance, but family should be your best bet for the weekends away. Longer days at work or partying, a walker should suffice.

Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pets Plainfield.pdf (125.8 KB, 5 views)

Greg

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
Pebbles will shit if she really has to go.
Well to be fair, I'm the same way

Ken, La Quinta will take dogs. I have always had good luck with them. In the "better hotels" category, Loew's and Kimpton.

As for a sitter, find a good friend who would be willing to stay at your place. but please pay that person. Don't take advantage of your friends.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Ken to hit on the hotel topic you need to look at all hotels cause most if not all allow them even the biggest hotels like Marriott allow them. I travel every two weeks and never have a issue getting a room that allow the dogs.

Econolodge, fairfield etc allow dogs. there is also a dog site that searches for the hotels that allow dogs

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Thanks guys and Alison I didn't know that. Very cool. Yeah I don't want to hound friends with this stuff.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Greg

Just a thought about hotels and dogs. There is some situations where this is a must and could work well; however, if the purpose of the trip is to get away and one will be engaged in activities that will not be suitable for the dogs, maybe it is not the best idea to bring them in the first place. My reasoning for this is that the dogs would be much more comfortable at home then being cooped up and stressed out in a hotel room by themselves.

Just food for thought.

Greg

Last edited by gsd656; 08-31-2010 at 02:31 PM.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 PM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Many of the Baymonts allow dogs. Also some vacation cabin rentals allow em. We just took ours down to Pigeon Forge, TN. The hotel and cabin didn't care what kind of dog it was (ours is a pit mix).

-Mike
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:35 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
Thanks guys and Alison I didn't know that. Very cool. Yeah I don't want to hound friends with this stuff.
Typically you can't leave the dog in the hotel while you are out, though. You have to plan on vactationing with the pooches. I can leave Timber behind at La Quintas, to run out and get takeout or something. Plus she doesn't bark too much or tear things up. It's all about how your dogs behave. You also might have issues since they are pits.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Just a thought about hotels and dogs. There is some situations where this is a must and could work well; however, if the purpose of the trip is to get away and one will be engaged in activities that will not be suitable for the dogs, maybe it is not the best idea to bring them in the first place. My reasoning for this is that the dogs would be much more comfortable at home then being cooped up and stressed out in a hotel room by them selves.

Just food for thought.
why leave them in the room? I take mine every where. Secondly dogs are much more adaptable then humans and will be just fine unless you just have a nut case of a dog.

Niki doesnt care where shes at as long as there is a GIANT water dish and her ball she carries every where

Tee she just wants to chill doesnt matter where. Heck she rather be in the truck then in the house any day

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
Typically you can't leave the dog in the hotel while you are out, though. You have to plan on vactationing with the pooches. I can leave Timber behind at La Quintas, to run out and get takeout or something. Plus she doesn't bark too much or tear things up. It's all about how your dogs behave. You also might have issues since they are pits.
Never a issue leaving them in the room most will call if there is alot of barking but mine dont. Leave DND tag up nothing to worry about

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

cry me a river, lol

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Both my dogs are well behaved and very trained. I hate leaving them anywhere and there more like my kids versus (dogs) there upmost care is my concern which is why I am home a lot versus living life like a wild man.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Poor pups
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
TMC

Sportbike: Yamaha R6, YZ250f
Years Riding: 10+
How you found us: local riders

http://www.noraspetsitting.com/

We used Nora a few years back when our schedules didn't allow adaquate time with the dog and were happy with her service. She came to our place, walked the dog, made sure she had water and played with her for a few minutes before leaving. She'd be there about 15 minutes each visit.

Plus, Nora is better looking than the name suggests.

Troy Carter
2006 R6
2006 YZ250f
I take pictures of people.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:58 PM

Sportbike: Bbird
Years Riding: too many to count
How you found us: Sk8boardil

just my 2 cts on the peeing and pooping schedule of 6 hours, read up on crate training, it does wonders to their schedule.
I was totally against it, but read a lot about it, talked to my breeder, to other dog people and finally am convinced that this is what they need and want.
I have 2 relatively big Belgian Sheepdogs and they are crated whenever I leave the house more than approx 2 hours.
Dogs love their crates because it conforms to their natural living habits (wolves for example try to find small caves to stay in during their resting periods). They do not soil the place where they sleep, so the crate is always clean, no peeing, no poops under any circumstances - except they are sick or on medication.
So, while I am at work they are in their crates for more than 10 hours and we are doing this for many years now, no issues ever.
At times I work at home, and the dogs go to their crates even then, I don't lock them but they just stay there on their own, it's their house so to say.

As for weekends away I hate to bring my dogs to a kennel, but found a person through another dog friend who stays at my house while I'm gone. I know there are home and pet sitting services available but they are pricey. friends or family if you pay them is always the best option. And if you are only away for one night, a dog walker might be an option too if the dogs are crated.

Oops long post, sorry.

"Nothing happens until something moves " - A. Einstein
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Paul - Semi Old and Slow

Sportbike: 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: google

I'm in the same exact boat as you Ken... Two pit bulls (one dog aggressive), no friends or family nearby to help and I'm single. They pretty much run my life, since I don't leave them in their crates for more than 10 hours. Which means I'm stuck at home every night after work because they have been locked up all day. I just don't feel right about having them crated for 10 hours, coming home, letting them out and leaving again for 5 hours. I've done it a couple times when I had no choice and felt really bad about it. Plus, when I tell them to go right back in their crates, they look at me like, fuck you!

I used to have a friend that would take them, but she got a dog about a year ago, so I can't use her anymore.

Being single, I would just love to pack up and go away for a weekend, but that's not possible.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM

Sportbike: '09 Ninja 250
Years Riding: 3rd season
How you found us: Google It, Google It

So far, I've had a decent experience with PetSmart PetsHotel: http://petshotel.petsmart.com/

They have both daytime-only "day camp" (which includes socializing with other dogs for most of the day), as well as boarding.

They are relatively clean, and some have a vet on-site during the day.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:36 PM

Sportbike: Buell Firebolt XB12R
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: search engine

Talking

My mother worked for herself doing pet care for several years. She still does, part-time. She loves Rotts and Pits, I've had 3 Rotts and she has watched them all. She lives in Wheaton and would be most available on weekends. If you're interested, PM me.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-a-boom View Post
So far, I've had a decent experience with PetSmart PetsHotel: http://petshotel.petsmart.com/

They have both daytime-only "day camp" (which includes socializing with other dogs for most of the day), as well as boarding.

They are relatively clean, and some have a vet on-site during the day.
Per Google maps, this location is 11 minutes from the center of Plainfield:

Joliet
2775 Plainfield Rd.
815.439.7100, Ext. 6
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM
pfft.

In other news, the PetSmart by me has lost 5 dogs this year who were in for boarding .... so I personally wouldn't recommend that. But they are each different.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com

1. I had to start crate training my dogs when I split with my ex. I don't like the idea of it and try to keep them out as much as possible, but they can stay in there for 12 hours or more without a problem if needed.

2. There is a place on Rt. 30 called Central Bark that is pretty good for boarding.

3. Both of my weims have their CGC certificates (canine good citizen). Sometimes hotels that don't allow pets will make an exception.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

how much odysseys pay me to watch hiz dogs?
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
this is why i ate my dog. i got sick of taking his ass out to shit and piss.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
In other news, the PetSmart by me has lost 5 dogs this year who were in for boarding .... so I personally wouldn't recommend that. But they are each different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode