car dealer rant - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2001 TL 1000s, 2000 Honda f4, 1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: sqrly

car dealer rant

Its been a bad week for buying cars, I had a dealer in Shorewood sell a car from underneath me and not bother to call me and let me know its gone don't come out. Then today I get a call from a friend asking for me to check with my contacts in the industry (one of my clients is a large dealership and they owe me) and find what defines delivery. They traded their car in on Monday, signed all the paperwork, drove off the lot with the car leaving theirs. Financing is approved just waiting for the check to get from the Credit Union to the dealership. Friend gets a call today informing them that the dealership carfax'd the car realized its been wrecked and wants 2500 extra dollars or their car back.

Personally I think this is illegal as hell and told my friend to call a lawyer not me, but I dropped a quick email to my dealership "in". I understand times are tough for car dealers but I don't think treating people like this is going to help your bottom line in the long run. Sorry I just had to vent.

America is like the girl that keeps getting back together with that abusive moron everyone hates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: Its my first time ;)
How you found us: Leghumpers Anonymous

Paperwork is all signed. F'em

WERA ∑ CCS ∑ EX #169
I would like to thank the 2014 sponsors...
Riders DiscountAllBalls RacingWoodcraftVinylSaurusRexPit BullChicken Hawk Racing
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSkip View Post
signed all the paperwork, drove off the lot with the car leaving theirs. Financing is approved just waiting for the check to get from the Credit Union to the dealership. .

Yup..... buyer beware..... they didn't...... contract signed ......tough shit.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Sounds like a case of telling them "tough shit." Score one for the good guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds like a case of telling them "tough shit." Score one for the good guys.
Pretty much what my dealer client just said. If the person trading it didn't sign a trade in declaration then "tough shit". Looks like it may be a score one for the home team.

FYI the dealership that decided to not warm me they sold the car I was looking at was Tyson Motors and I'm going to get the name this dealership. I have a feeling by the time I find my next ride I'll have a laundry list of dealers to avoid for everyone.

America is like the girl that keeps getting back together with that abusive moron everyone hates
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Sportbike: Honda Interceptor
Years Riding: including today?

Reverse the situation........would the dealer credit the buyer 2500 if the buyer found out that the purchased car had been wrecked?

Proud to say I've never owned a Japanese car
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I Shot You

Sportbike: '04 gsx-r600
Years Riding: Aug 09
How you found us: google

Why can't buying a car be the same experience as buying a lawn mower?
I don't understand why we have to haggle and waste everyone's time trying to 'come to an argeement'

I bought a car last year and they said, "You know what, I'll give you a deal since it's been slow today. I'll sell it to you for $1000 off MSRP"
I called BS and told them I know that's just a manufacturer's rebate that gets attached to all models for everyone. Farking car salesmen... Can't trust a single one.

5D Mark II juliet II

EF 24-70 É2.8L l Sigma 50 É1.4 l EF 135 É2.0L l EF 70-200 É4L l 580EX II l Flick'd
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Hyuni] View Post
I don't understand why we have to haggle and waste everyone's time trying to 'come to an argeement'

I bought a car last year and they said, "You know what, I'll give you a deal since it's been slow today. I'll sell it to you for $1000 off MSRP"
I called BS and told them I know that's just a manufacturer's rebate that gets attached to all models for everyone. Farking car salesmen... Can't trust a single one.
That's the one thing I liked about buying my old Scion. They have no haggling on their prices. What you see online is what you pay for the car and the accessories. Just have to say no to all the "rust proofing" and "interior protection."

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Mmmmmm....

Sportbike: RIP Rsux
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Pinkrider
car dealer rant

I hate car dealers right now too. I just got fucked over by one a few weeks ago. Traded in a 3 year old car that was paid off because I wanted something more reliable and now I've got a less reliable car plus a car payment every month.

Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard wrapped in tin foil.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

I bought my car through Carmax, and it was literally like buying a TV.
"ok this one costs this much and it has this in it"
"cool, here is the money"
"here is your car"
DONE!
I was at 3 dealerships before and they all made me feel like shit.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptor View Post
Reverse the situation........would the dealer credit the buyer 2500 if the buyer found out that the purchased car had been wrecked?
this right here is all you need to know.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkrider View Post
I hate car dealers right now too. I just got fucked over by one a few weeks ago. Traded in a 3 year old car that was paid off because I wanted something more reliable and now I've got a less reliable car plus a car payment every month.
a 3 years old car was unreliable?

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:

I guess I am just used to the haggling concept. I would almost feel like I did not get the best (in my eyes) deal if I did not get to haggle.

As far as this situation, I say the dealer had an opportunity to inspect the vehicle, they failed to do so, it is their loss. What if the car was not in a wreck, but the transmission failed the next day, would they want money back for that too?

Greg

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAlero View Post
this right here is all you need to know.
i don't know, some dealerships will. I had a buddy that bought a TL a few years back. He wanted a specific color and option package. He found exactly what he was looking for, went to the dealership and bought it. Took it to his mechanic 2 days later and the mechanic showed him the car had been in a bad wreck, but that the wreck didn't show up on car fax. My buddy called the dealership and the dealership agreed to return the car no questions asked.

I agree that there are alot of sleazy car sales people out there, but there are alot of sleazy sales people in general. The sleaziest salesperson I ever met was the guy who handles our health insurance at work. I spent an hour talking to him last year on a conference call and felt like I needed a shower because of the amount of bullshit he was throwing into the call.

As for the other dealership (tyson motors) did you have a deposit down? Was the car promised to you in anyway? Granted it was bad practice for them to not tell you the car was sold, but how long did you wait between when you asked about it and when you showed up? That is pretty classic car sales man ship, get them in the door is always the first task of a salesperson.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Quote:
Pretty much what my dealer client just said. If the person trading it didn't sign a trade in declaration then "tough shit". Looks like it may be a score one for the home team.

FYI the dealership that decided to not warm me they sold the car I was looking at was Tyson Motors and I'm going to get the name this dealership. I have a feeling by the time I find my next ride I'll have a laundry list of dealers to avoid for everyone.
I'm with ya man. Looking at some car options now, and am getting the worst service. Shoud it really be taking the internet sales manager at a high end dealer 6 days to send 2 emails. Their whole job is to sell cars via the internet/email.

Dealers will play all games, all the time. If they sold the car from under you, its in their best interest to get you in and try to sell you another car on the lot, thus they won't tell you not to come in.

A few years ago we were looking for a Jeep. Called a Chevy dealer that had 1 on the lot we wanted to look at (according to their website). After talking to the sales guy about it over the phone, we decided we didn't want to see it. A few days later, we get a call from the sales manager, and he states they just got a truck load of Jeeps in (7 of them), and to come check them out. We set an appointment, and guess what. Not a single Jeep on the lot. The sales manager was no where to be found, as I was livid and going to give him an ear full. The sales guy was all to happy to try and sell me something else, until he realized how pissed I was. Then they all scattered. It was just my g/f and I in the show room. Horrible experience. Everyone stay away from Grossinger Chevy off Lake Cook Rd.

Last edited by PolishPete; 09-02-2010 at 01:31 PM.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
I guess I am just used to the haggling concept. I would almost feel like I did not get the best (in my eyes) deal if I did not get to haggle.

As far as this situation, I say the dealer had an opportunity to inspect the vehicle, they failed to do so, it is their loss. What if the car was not in a wreck, but the transmission failed the next day, would they want money back for that too?
I agree. I love to haggle the price part, especially since I have family in the business and know EVERY trick when it comes to the $. Also on the first note, buying a car $1K off MSRP is overpaying. Unless it's a brand new model, and a hot car they can't keep on the lot, you want to pay as close to invoice as possible.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I Shot You

Sportbike: '04 gsx-r600
Years Riding: Aug 09
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
I bought my car through Carmax, and it was literally like buying a TV.
"ok this one costs this much and it has this in it"
"cool, here is the money"
"here is your car"
DONE!
I was at 3 dealerships before and they all made me feel like shit.
Carmax only sells used cars right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
I see ur point, but my blood boils when they trick you into thinking they are 'giving you a deal' and you end up playing the game for 4 hours until you get a point where you wear them down enough to give you a reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
I agree. I love to haggle the price part, especially since I have family in the business and know EVERY trick when it comes to the $. Also on the first note, buying a car $1K off MSRP is overpaying. Unless it's a brand new model, and a hot car they can't keep on the lot, you want to pay as close to invoice as possible.
yeah I called BS on that and spent the next 4 hours widdling it down and at the end of the day, I got $4,300 off. Significant amount, but I wanted to reach over and grab 'em by the throat towards the end.
I told them up front if they treated me nice, my parents were going to get an FJ Cruiser the same week and you'd be getting two sales.
They were ash-hats about it so my parents ended up buying somewhere else.
When I came back to finalize the papers, we all rode back in the FJ cruiser and let them know they lost a sale because they were being d-bags. The expression on their faces were PRICELESS!

F U Lisle Toyota!

5D Mark II juliet II

EF 24-70 É2.8L l Sigma 50 É1.4 l EF 135 É2.0L l EF 70-200 É4L l 580EX II l Flick'd
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
As for the other dealership (tyson motors) did you have a deposit down? Was the car promised to you in anyway? Granted it was bad practice for them to not tell you the car was sold, but how long did you wait between when you asked about it and when you showed up? That is pretty classic car sales man ship, get them in the door is always the first task of a salesperson.
I sent my last email to the saleman at 3 telling him that I was getting off at 5 and would be there by 7. Recieved the "see you then I'll have it ready" email. From the info I was given it was sold around 4:30 so plenty of time to warm me not to make the drive. I probably would have still gone out and at least looked at other vehicles had I been warned. I guess there is just no service in customer service anymore.

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

The minute a sales person starts playing games, I walk out.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Clever Girl

I actually had a really good experience buying my truck at Team Toyota in Hammond, IN just because I think they were desperate to sell a vehicle. I'm not really sure why, but there is an entire row of dealers in what seems to not be such a great area. They were one of the only dealers within 300 miles of Chicago that had the type of truck I was looking for and with very little haggling, I got a great price and a great trade in deal.

The sales person even suggested I hold a set of my keys hostage and make the dealer make me another set for the truck I was purchasing.

Quote:
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Carmax only sells used cars right?

I see ur point, but my blood boils when they trick you into thinking they are 'giving you a deal' and you end up playing the game for 4 hours until you get a point where you wear them down enough to give you a reasonable price.

yeah I called BS on that and spent the next 4 hours widdling it down and at the end of the day, I got $4,300 off. Significant amount, but I wanted to reach over and grab 'em by the throat towards the end.
I told them up front if they treated me nice, my parents were going to get an FJ Cruiser the same week and you'd be getting two sales.
They were ash-hats about it so my parents ended up buying somewhere else.
When I came back to finalize the papers, we all rode back in the FJ cruiser and let them know they lost a sale because they were being d-bags. The expression on their faces were PRICELESS!

F U Lisle Toyota!
Some carmax's have new car lots. Chevy and Toyota are two participating manufacturers. None of them in this area, but the one just across the border in Kenosha sells new cars. I am pretty sure they do the same thing for new cars.

<-- Chris

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 PM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
I sent my last email to the saleman at 3 telling him that I was getting off at 5 and would be there by 7. Recieved the "see you then I'll have it ready" email. From the info I was given it was sold around 4:30 so plenty of time to warm me not to make the drive. I probably would have still gone out and at least looked at other vehicles had I been warned. I guess there is just no service in customer service anymore.
dealerships will tell you anything to get you in the door. They do it because it works. yes it pisses off some people, but it is no different than the sales tactics that most major big box retailers employ. "they can't spend money if they are not in our store/dealership"

<-- Chris

post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di

Never walk into a dealership without knowing and being happy with the out the door price on a specific vehicle, not just in theory. Then you cab negotiate some more if you like, but should not be necessary.

Greg

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM
black magic

Sportbike: gxr600k8
Years Riding: 4yrs
How you found us: newenough.com

dude take the car you want to buy (before you buy it)to a dealership other than the one your at and get it checked out pay the $100.
i got the green light from the mech and a list of stuff that would need fixed later.
dealership i was buying the car from gave me the hard sales pitch on some warranty. told him after along time sayin no to it if you can garentee everything on this list to be covered then fine.
everything has been done so far and very happy

looked car up on yahoo oh i only buy used 04 volvo s60r

i want to drink, but only to kill a certain few brain cells and i don't care how many i have to take out to get to them.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM
black magic

now what i want to know if you have a 20k car can you trade it in for a cheaper car and get money back from dealership

i want to drink, but only to kill a certain few brain cells and i don't care how many i have to take out to get to them.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio-nuke View Post
now what i want to know if you have a 20k car can you trade it in for a cheaper car and get money back from dealership
Yes

Greg

post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio-nuke View Post
Yes, but they will try not to.

<-- Chris

post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 PM
black magic

cool what would be a great 10k car

post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: Its my first time ;)
How you found us: Leghumpers Anonymous

the last car i bought, I knew exactly what I wanted and what I was going to pay for it. I went to the dealership, told them this, I left with a new car. They were either gonna sell me a car for the price I wanted to pay, or I was leaving. I went to Elmhurst Toyota, good peeps there, been treated great everytime I have went there. Even when I walk in for a part or something random, the sales guy still comes over and makes conversation. I would buy there again

WERA ∑ CCS ∑ EX #169
I would like to thank the 2014 sponsors...
Riders DiscountAllBalls RacingWoodcraftVinylSaurusRexPit BullChicken Hawk Racing
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
i don't know, some dealerships will. I had a buddy that bought a TL a few years back. He wanted a specific color and option package. He found exactly what he was looking for, went to the dealership and bought it. Took it to his mechanic 2 days later and the mechanic showed him the car had been in a bad wreck, but that the wreck didn't show up on car fax. My buddy called the dealership and the dealership agreed to return the car no questions asked.

I agree that there are alot of sleazy car sales people out there, but there are alot of sleazy sales people in general. The sleaziest salesperson I ever met was the guy who handles our health insurance at work. I spent an hour talking to him last year on a conference call and felt like I needed a shower because of the amount of bullshit he was throwing into the call.

Oh I agree, some dealerships will do it out of courtesy, some out of force. I had an instance where I purchased a car from a dealership, ran great for a day and the whole car went to hell.Dealer said they would fix it free, drop car off, a week later i go to pick it up. Tosses 4 SES lights and running on 4 cylinders. Went in the office and had a "chat" and by the end of the day I got a full refund and didnt report him. Sometimes you gotta be a dick to get whats right from these places. Just gotta feel them out

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode