Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Media blasting engine block

868 views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  HDTony 
#1 ·
Looking for someone to media blast an aluminum engine block, don't want it powder coated, just blasted down to bare metal. It's a bare short block that is currently painted black. I don't need anything other than the paint stripped off.

I was referred to a local guy by a fellow member (thanks again man!), but he wanted $100+ for it. Strikes me as being ludicrously high for what should be ten minutes worth of work. There should be no concern about getting media into certain parts of the engine (it will never run again, simply an art project), so just a quick once over of the block itself. If anyone knows someone who can do this for a reasonable amount, lemme know. I'd rather not drop a Benjamin on this project.

#3 ·
its gonna take longer than 10 mins to blast a block. also unless its grease adn oil free for the most part its gonna fuck up the guys media.

dontforget handling is an issue. you gotta get the block into the cabinet blast it, turn it, blast it, turn it over adn over till you get all the faces

it put the time to do it from start to finish at like 1h, especially if you want a nive even blasted finish

#11 ·
Or just buy a blaster for cheap
I've priced out a few Harbor Freight ones and they seem fairly priced but I'm worried about how strong they are and whether they're capable of getting the block clean. I think an industrial strength unit would work better.

#17 ·
My lord. quit being cheap and get this thing over to Mike at Micron, he has my engine over there right now as well. it will look perfect when he's done with it.

you want something done right now a days, you gotta pay for it, if you cant do it yourself.

#18 ·
Hey bri. Local shop that stripped my chevelle down and a few wheels to bare metal is called redi-strip in roselle. Call them n get a quote. They stripped down a steel wheel, rusted and like crap for only $35 bucks. They also will hot tank it. These guys r great. Don't have the number but they r off central ave in roselle. They work quick too. I was just there about 3 weeks ago licking up the wheel and they had a older 71'ish challenger they were stripping down. At the least u can always go and look over the joint.

#20 ·
Did ya read my post? Call mike, his screen name on here is ceptor, Micron engine and machine in stone park, its a few doors down from the pigpen.

Reactions: whiteSeatEnvy
#26 ·
Ok, so block is being stripped currently and should be done in a week or so. Here's my question now. With the block down to bare metal (iron, not aluminum, different engine this time... don't ask), I want it painted with a clear coat. This will NOT be subjected to ANY heat at all (will never actually run), how do I paint it?

What I've been told thus far:

1. Spray down with isopropyl alcohol from spray bottle.

2. Using compressed air, spray out everything I need to to insure all media is removed.

3. Paint.

Let me know if anyone has any other thoughts on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.