annoying Droid quirks - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
BOOSTD_GSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 1,602
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: GSXR-1000_many pieces now, GSXR-600_large twisted metal paper wait, fiddy love and only thing left!
Years Riding: just long enough to take a digger...
How you found us: Bozo the Clown
           
annoying Droid quirks

Over all the phone and operating system is pretty good but there are a few really annoying quirks with the Droid phone. (mine is the Droid X) any one know how to resolve some of those quirks? like the two that annoy me the most are how any and every time i plug my phone into my computer and any time i get a txt the Verizon wireless web site pops up on my computer. I plug it in at work and by lunch i will have 30 separate Verizon web sites pulled up..WTF the other most annoying is the "msg not sent" at the top of the screen. i have erased all of my msgs and still cannot get the icon to go away telling me that there is unsent msgs...WTF
BOOSTD_GSXR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Registered User
 
suh-c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates
Posts: 11,446
Location: Hoffman Estates
Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass
           
Verizon has always been known for forcing their propaganda on their customers.
suh-c is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTD_GSXR View Post
Over all the phone and operating system is pretty good but there are a few really annoying quirks with the Droid phone. (mine is the Droid X) any one know how to resolve some of those quirks? like the two that annoy me the most are how any and every time i plug my phone into my computer and any time i get a txt the Verizon wireless web site pops up on my computer. I plug it in at work and by lunch i will have 30 separate Verizon web sites pulled up..WTF the other most annoying is the "msg not sent" at the top of the screen. i have erased all of my msgs and still cannot get the icon to go away telling me that there is unsent msgs...WTF
Did some quick digging on your behalf. I think this thread should answer your concern about Vzn's website shit popping up.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...ing-trick.html

For your other issue, can you post the exact message verbatim, so I can search on it? And I presume this is for text messages only? Does it also occur with e-mail?

Last edited by Bek; 11-23-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Bek is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
 
FiReBReTHa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 11,172
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins
           
Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
Verizon has always been known for forcing their propaganda on their customers.



EXACTLY

seriously, fraking VZW is so consistent with screwing with chit like that.
FiReBReTHa is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered User
 
MM Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hoffman Est., IL
Posts: 4,527
Location: Hoffman Est., IL
Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother
           
Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
I would like my X to stop randomly rebooting when it gets frustrated.

Ian
MM Racing is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
I would like my X to stop randomly rebooting when it gets frustrated.
Heh, you'll have to be just a tad more detailed than that, if you'd like some help.
Bek is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
BOOSTD_GSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 1,602
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: GSXR-1000_many pieces now, GSXR-600_large twisted metal paper wait, fiddy love and only thing left!
Years Riding: just long enough to take a digger...
How you found us: Bozo the Clown
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Did some quick digging on your behalf. I think this thread should answer your concern about Vzn's website shit popping up.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...ing-trick.html

For your other issue, can you post the exact message verbatim, so I can search on it? And I presume this is for text messages only? Does it also occur with e-mail?
you are correct, just txt msg. the icon will not go away even after i "clear" the alerts, it pops right back after i send or recieve the next txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
I would like my X to stop randomly rebooting when it gets frustrated.
lol ya i get that all the time as well. randomly tying to do something (and it is random, doesnt have to be the same thing every time) and it just reboots itsef with no worning.
BOOSTD_GSXR is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Rex Banner
 
Flying_Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora
Posts: 2,561
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me
           
Are you using the stock SMS application or 3rd party?

Random reboots are common since the 2.2 update, there are a ton of threads on it and the most common time seems to be when unlocking the phone. I think they screwed something with the brightness and that is causing a lot of it.

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTD_GSXR View Post
you are correct, just txt msg. the icon will not go away even after i "clear" the alerts, it pops right back after i send or recieve the next txt
Can you please post the exact message?

Regarding the rebooting, have you guys rooted your phones and/or are running Custom ROMs? I'm going to presume no?
Bek is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Rex Banner
 
Flying_Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora
Posts: 2,561
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Regarding the rebooting, have you guys rooted your phones and/or are running Custom ROMs? I'm going to presume no?
I have, but of course this also happens with a fresh 2.2 sbf. There is something in the moto code that is screwing things up. Latest thoughts on it have to do with the brightness issue (setting to 30% won't really keep it set to that) as far as I have seen. It is a kernel issue at this point because it persists across "ROMs" and even in the OTA.


Anyway, I presume message not sent is the actual error. I get it every once in a while as well but I am able to open the message and resend it then it goes away.

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
i still can't wait for AppstoSD to be ready on the next release of the droid os.

sick of having to pair down apps so it stops warning me the das is full.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Registered User
 
ThirdgenTa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Aurora
Posts: 1,512
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search
           
Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
Call nicole. She's had like 30 of them and has learned how to fix all the errors
ThirdgenTa is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
BOOSTD_GSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 1,602
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: GSXR-1000_many pieces now, GSXR-600_large twisted metal paper wait, fiddy love and only thing left!
Years Riding: just long enough to take a digger...
How you found us: Bozo the Clown
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish View Post
Are you using the stock SMS application or 3rd party?

Random reboots are common since the 2.2 update, there are a ton of threads on it and the most common time seems to be when unlocking the phone. I think they screwed something with the brightness and that is causing a lot of it.
Im using all stock stuff, havent done any tweeking. still using the same micro sd card that comes with the phone to. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Can you please post the exact message?

Regarding the rebooting, have you guys rooted your phones and/or are running Custom ROMs? I'm going to presume no?
do you know how to take a screen shot? i can do that and post it up.

its the msg symble with a red X though it, when i pull down the notification bar it tells me "8 Text messages not sent" "tap to view messges" when i tap on it, it simply brings me to my txt msgs and there is nuthing there cuz i have deleted everything.
BOOSTD_GSXR is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTD_GSXR View Post
its the msg symble with a red X though it, when i pull down the notification bar it tells me "8 Text messages not sent" "tap to view messges" when i tap on it, it simply brings me to my txt msgs and there is nuthing there cuz i have deleted everything.
Here's one suggestion I dug up:

Quote:
go into settings/applications/manage all applications/all
then scroll down and find Text Messaging, click CLEAR DATA
Have you ever used a 3rd party text messaging app (like Handcent) or have you ALWAYS just used the stock app? There seems to be an issue with the Droid X not correctly uninstalling Handcent SMS... so if you had SMS notifications settings set in there, then uninstalled the app, they will persist.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-...ems/m-p/229194
Bek is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
BOOSTD_GSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 1,602
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: GSXR-1000_many pieces now, GSXR-600_large twisted metal paper wait, fiddy love and only thing left!
Years Riding: just long enough to take a digger...
How you found us: Bozo the Clown
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Here's one suggestion I dug up:



Have you ever used a 3rd party text messaging app (like Handcent) or have you ALWAYS just used the stock app? There seems to be an issue with the Droid X not correctly uninstalling Handcent SMS... so if you had SMS notifications settings set in there, then uninstalled the app, they will persist.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-...ems/m-p/229194
always use the stock app, havent had a need to download any other apps for txtn yet....but...should i?? lol
BOOSTD_GSXR is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Rex Banner
 
Flying_Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora
Posts: 2,561
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Here's one suggestion I dug up:



Have you ever used a 3rd party text messaging app (like Handcent) or have you ALWAYS just used the stock app? There seems to be an issue with the Droid X not correctly uninstalling Handcent SMS... so if you had SMS notifications settings set in there, then uninstalled the app, they will persist.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-...ems/m-p/229194
That isn't true for me. It may have changed since the 2.2 update. That post was from July. Also I think that is the standard notifications, not the message not sent.

Boosted: Just for the hell of it have you done a reprogram on your phone? *228 option 1 and/or updated the roaming *228 opt 2

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish View Post
That isn't true for me. It may have changed since the 2.2 update. That post was from July. Also I think that is the standard notifications, not the message not sent.

Boosted: Just for the hell of it have you done a reprogram on your phone? *228 option 1 and/or updated the roaming *228 opt 2
*shrug*

Not a Motorola Droid guy... was just volunteering to do some extra searching in the various Android forums to try and find some quick solutions for Brandon.

*passes the torch*

Enjoy.
Bek is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Highspeed ditch inspector
 
sqrly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dixon, IL
Posts: 3,717
Location: Dixon, IL
Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTD_GSXR View Post
the other most annoying is the "msg not sent" at the top of the screen. i have erased all of my msgs and still cannot get the icon to go away telling me that there is unsent msgs...WTF
Go to the message that has not been sent, then press and hold on that message to bring up the extra options like "resend, open message, delete message" etc.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
sqrly is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
BOOSTD_GSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 1,602
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: GSXR-1000_many pieces now, GSXR-600_large twisted metal paper wait, fiddy love and only thing left!
Years Riding: just long enough to take a digger...
How you found us: Bozo the Clown
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish View Post
That isn't true for me. It may have changed since the 2.2 update. That post was from July. Also I think that is the standard notifications, not the message not sent.

Boosted: Just for the hell of it have you done a reprogram on your phone? *228 option 1 and/or updated the roaming *228 opt 2
no i have not tried that, but i will today when i get out of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
*shrug*

Not a Motorola Droid guy... was just volunteering to do some extra searching in the various Android forums to try and find some quick solutions for Brandon.

*passes the torch*

Enjoy.
as always any help is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrly View Post
Go to the message that has not been sent, then press and hold on that message to bring up the extra options like "resend, open message, delete message" etc.
i would.....if there were any txt sent or unsentleft. i had the bright idea of just deleting all txt thinking that would make the icon telling me that there are unsent txts go away. now for like two months i have had this icon pestering me lol
BOOSTD_GSXR is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
BOOSTD_GSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 1,602
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: GSXR-1000_many pieces now, GSXR-600_large twisted metal paper wait, fiddy love and only thing left!
Years Riding: just long enough to take a digger...
How you found us: Bozo the Clown
           
i tried the...

"go into settings/applications/manage all applications/all
then scroll down and find Text Messaging, click CLEAR DATA "

no success with that so far
BOOSTD_GSXR is offline  
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Rex Banner
 
Flying_Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora
Posts: 2,561
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
*shrug*

Not a Motorola Droid guy... was just volunteering to do some extra searching in the various Android forums to try and find some quick solutions for Brandon.

*passes the torch*

Enjoy.
Understood and more power to you for helping. A problem like this will be a pain to find out for sure what the issue is I'm just offering up what I can see from my DX. I actually went as far as removing handcent to test that theory.

Of course the official support line will be to do a wipe and start fresh.

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado
 
Bek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 7,144
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu
           
Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish View Post
Of course the official support line will be to do a wipe and start fresh.
Sadly, that is sometimes not a bad idea, since we don't know the history of these phones.

Was simply deferring to you, since you obviously have more direct experience with the Motorola line, whereas I can only provide input from a generic Android perspective.
Bek is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Rex Banner
 
Flying_Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora
Posts: 2,561
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Sadly, that is sometimes not a bad idea, since we don't know the history of these phones.

Was simply deferring to you, since you obviously have more direct experience with the Motorola line, whereas I can only provide input from a generic Android perspective.
Yeah, I know but that would be "their" response.

I hear ya. I have a little D1 experience and have a DX in my hand. They are more or less like any other android handset aside from the bootloader issues but that shouldn't apply here.

Boosted: Did you do a clear cache and a clear data or just the data? Also, did you force close it after you cleared them? Some people are saying that fixed it for them. There are posts everywhere and no one has a clear answer on how to get rid of it.

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh

Last edited by Flying_Hellfish; 11-23-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Greg
 
gsd656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Posts: 3,677
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com
           
Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Have you tried the old "VCR Clock Trick" of putting some electrical tape or something similar over that area of the phone?

Also, I am surprised nobody said this yet...buy an iphone!

Just screwing with you...I have no idea how to resolve your problem, but good luck.

Greg

gsd656 is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
BOOSTD_GSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 1,602
Location: Bartlett
Sportbike: GSXR-1000_many pieces now, GSXR-600_large twisted metal paper wait, fiddy love and only thing left!
Years Riding: just long enough to take a digger...
How you found us: Bozo the Clown
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish View Post
Yeah, I know but that would be "their" response.

I hear ya. I have a little D1 experience and have a DX in my hand. They are more or less like any other android handset aside from the bootloader issues but that shouldn't apply here.

Boosted: Did you do a clear cache and a clear data or just the data? Also, did you force close it after you cleared them? Some people are saying that fixed it for them. There are posts everywhere and no one has a clear answer on how to get rid of it.
i did clear both cache and data with no results. i did not however do a force close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Have you tried the old "VCR Clock Trick" of putting some electrical tape or something similar over that area of the phone?

Also, I am surprised nobody said this yet...buy an iphone!

Just screwing with you...I have no idea how to resolve your problem, but good luck.

BOOSTD_GSXR is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Rex Banner
 
Flying_Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora
Posts: 2,561
Location: Aurora
Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me
           
closing it won't do much more than restarting the phone but that was one other suggestion someone posted.

Also, have you gone into the alert and just long pressed the messages to delete them there?

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh

Last edited by Flying_Hellfish; 11-24-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Flying_Hellfish is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome