repeal of healthcare reform law? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google

repeal of healthcare reform law?

bottom line is arguing that it is unconstitutional to mandate healthcare for everyone - that everyone has a constitutional right to choose:

The health care law suffered its first major legal setback Monday when a federal judge declared that the heart of the sweeping legislation is unconstitutional. The decision handed Republican foes ammunition for their repeal effort next year.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson, a Republican appointee in Richmond, Va., marked the first successful court challenge to any portion of the new law, following two earlier rulings in its favor by Democratic-appointed judges. A number of other lawsuits were dismissed early on, without rulings on the substance of the law.

The law's central requirement for nearly all Americans to carry insurance is unconstitutional, well beyond Congress' power to mandate, Hudson ruled. That put him in the same camp as Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli the Republican who filed the suit and many of the GOP lawmakers who will take control of the U.S. House in January.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul

Long legal fight ahead for health law

AP
2 hrs 49 mins ago
WASHINGTON The scorecard on the legal fight over President Barack Obama's health care overhaul is two judges in favor and one against.

But these are the early rounds in preliminary bouts. The one that really counts a showdown at the Supreme Court is at least a year away.

The health care law suffered its first major legal setback Monday when a federal judge declared that the heart of the sweeping legislation is unconstitutional. The decision handed Republican foes ammunition for their repeal effort next year.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson, a Republican appointee in Richmond, Va., marked the first successful court challenge to any portion of the new law, following two earlier rulings in its favor by Democratic-appointed judges. A number of other lawsuits were dismissed early on, without rulings on the substance of the law.

The law's central requirement for nearly all Americans to carry insurance is unconstitutional, well beyond Congress' power to mandate, Hudson ruled. That put him in the same camp as Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli the Republican who filed the suit and many of the GOP lawmakers who will take control of the U.S. House in January.

But Hudson denied Virginia's request to strike down the law in its entirety or block it from being implemented while his ruling is appealed by the Obama administration.

"An individual's personal decision to purchase or decline to purchase health insurance from a private provider is beyond the historical reach of the Commerce Clause," said Hudson, a 2002 appointee of President George W. Bush.

Another judge in Florida, a GOP appointee, has not ruled in another lawsuit brought by 20 states against the legislation though he has signaled trouble for the administration. Arguments in that lawsuit, which also challenges whether the federal government can require states to expand their Medicaid programs, get under way Thursday in Florida.

Nevertheless, the White House predicted it would prevail in the Supreme Court.

"Keep in mind this is one ruling by one federal district court. We've already had two federal district courts that have ruled that this is definitely constitutional," President Barack Obama said Monday in an interview with television station WFLA in Tampa, Fla.

"You've got one judge who disagreed. That's the nature of these things."

Federal appeals courts based in Atlanta, Cincinnati and Richmond make up the next set of judges who will have their say on the law, though their rulings are at least months away.

Once appellate judges have weighed in, the next appeal is to the Supreme Court.

In April, Justice Stephen Breyer predicted an eventual high court hearing for the health care overhaul. That might not happen until after the 2012 elections, though.

In the short term, the latest court ruling hands potent ammunition to GOP opponents as they prepare to assert control in the new Congress with promises to repeal the law. Obama in turn has vowed to veto any repeal legislation and appears likely to prevail since Democrats retain control of the Senate. Republicans also have discussed trying to starve the law of funding.

Whatever the eventual outcome, Monday's ruling could create uncertainty around the administration's efforts to gradually put into effect the landmark legislation extending health coverage to more than 30 million uninsured Americans. And it can only increase the public's skepticism, which has not significantly receded in the months since the law's enactment, defying Obama's prediction that it would become more popular as Americans got to know it.

Obama aides said implementation would not be affected, noting that the individual insurance requirement and other major portions of the legislation don't take effect until 2014. Some provisions of the law took effect in September, six months after its passage, including free preventive care, an elimination of lifetime limits on coverage and requirements for insurers cover children with pre-existing health conditions and allow adult children to stay on their parents' health plans until age 26.

Hudson limited his ruling to striking down the so-called individual mandate, leaving intact other portions of the law. But administration officials and outside analysts agree that important provisions of the legislation could not go forward without the requirement for everyone to be insured. That's because insurers need to have large pools of healthy people, who are cheap to insure, or it is not financially tenable for them to extend coverage to those with pre-existing medical problems.

Do not pray for life to be easier but instead pray to be stronger.

Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

It's a good start.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Not too keen on telling everyone they must purchase healthcare, yet I see how healthcare cost would come down if everyone had some sort of coverage rather than sticking the county, State etc with the cost.
I say make it easy, single payer. Or medicare for all if that sounds better.

Under200
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

If this is upheld on appeal, the fix is simple - take out the mandate and offer a nice tax credit for those with insurance instead. Problem solved.

Craig
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post
Not too keen on telling everyone they must purchase healthcare, yet I see how healthcare cost would come down if everyone had some sort of coverage rather than sticking the county, State etc with the cost.
explain this single payer concept for me in as few words as possible

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Single Payer:

There is only one insurance co for health care in the US. All claims are filed to that company - Single payer.

That co would likely end up as the US Govt, as it is now for Medicare and Medicaid.

Craig
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
Single Payer:

There is only one insurance co for health care in the US. All claims are filed to that company - Single payer.

That co would likely end up as the US Govt, as it is now for Medicare and Medicaid.
eeek, sounds bad... infact i think there are laws against things like that... ah yes anti-monopoly laws thats right
thanks for the summary

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post
If this is upheld on appeal, the fix is simple - take out the mandate and offer a nice tax credit for those with insurance instead. Problem solved.
Doesn't that require the legislation to be rewritten and voted on again?

Meaning we have to go through the same damn fights all over again?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
explain this single payer concept for me in as few words as possible
Copied from the web:
Single-payer health care: A system of health care characterized by universal and comprehensive coverage. Single-payer health care is similar to the health services provided by Medicare in the US. The government pays for care that is delivered in the private (mostly not-for-profit) sector. Doctors are in private practice and are paid on a fee-for-service basis from government funds. The government does not own or manage their medical practices or hospitals.

Single-payer health care is distinct and different from socialized medicine in which doctors and hospitals work for and draw salaries from the government.
----------------------------------------------------
The tax or payment is taken from everybody check just like your fed tax or state tax. The way I see it is that right now we pay for all sorts of stuff through our fed takes; military, coast guard, prison's, politicians salaries etc. Would be nice to pay for something we personally use when we get sick or hurt.

Under200
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Putting the consumer needs a side for a second. A single payer system would be terrible to healthcare providers as the amount reimbursed for services would not be adequate. This could in theory result in the decline in quality of services provided to all.

Also, another consideration is that the current insurance companies employee alot of people who would be left unemployed and collecting unemployment benefits.

Greg

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
we dont like the idea of a single payer system especially as it would likely turnout to be the govt.

but with these additional requirements they are putting on insurance companies, many insurance companies may end up, one by one, opting out of providing health insurance coverage we may end up with a single payer system.

Teddy Roosevelt
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaeric View Post
we dont like the idea of a single payer system especially as it would likely turnout to be the govt.

but with these additional requirements they are putting on insurance companies, many insurance companies may end up, one by one, opting out of providing health insurance coverage we may end up with a single payer system.
Curious, do doctors have a hard time collecting from medicare? Is it easier or more difficult than from a private insurance company?
My grandmothers cardiologist does very well and he primarily treats older patients who use medicare and some sort of sup like aarp.

Under200
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di

Quote:
Curious, do doctors have a hard time collecting from medicare? Is it easier or more difficult than from a private insurance company?
My grandmothers cardiologist does very well and he primarily treats older patients who use medicare and some sort of sup like aarp.
Medicare reimburses at a lower rate then most insurance companies. Also, Medicare imposes too many regulations and reporting requirements which in theory save tax payers money, but in reality cost healthcare providers so much that it increases the cost of health care.

Greg

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

my sister is a doctor and she hates medicare, their payments make her time worthless - something like $20 for a visit that she spends at least 30 minutes with a patient because she cares and because they need it. she has a choice to decline to accept it or start spending less time with each patient, driving the quality of service down
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

In Iowa, the ones on state aid get the best care because that state pays up and pays well compared to most private insurance companies.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
In Iowa, the ones on state aid get the best care because that state pays up and pays well compared to most private insurance companies.
Not the case in IL and what is even more messed up with Medicaid, is that Health Care organizations aren't able to report the difference between what Medicaid pays and what should be collected as charitable care.

Greg

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
Doesn't that require the legislation to be rewritten and voted on again?

Meaning we have to go through the same damn fights all over again?
Probably not. If that specific provision is thrown out, they can pass a revision to the bill that would just deal with that.

However, given the political hay to be made on both sides from this, I wouldn't hold my breath....

Craig
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

It's fine if the judiciary branch rules that buying health care can not be mandated. IF, its also ruled that treating an uninsured person is optional, not mandatory.

My hope with the health care reform was to get more people paying into the system that they're using, that aren't currently paying anything. If that's not going to happen....... then we need to go after the other side of the coin.

Stop giving health care to people who don't pay into the system.

Not sure if the ruling is going to stand. If the Government can't force you to buy into a plan or buy something.......... Then it could be argued that my paycheck deduction for Social Security is unconstitutional. The Govt is forcing me to buy into a retirement plan.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Medicare reimburses at a lower rate then most insurance companies. Also, Medicare imposes too many regulations and reporting requirements which in theory save tax payers money, but in reality cost healthcare providers so much that it increases the cost of health care.
this. we see medicare patients as we feel a social obligation to do so but if we had a large percentage of medicare patients it would strain our practice. perhaps your grandmother's cardiologist does ok as medicare tends to reimburse procedures at a higher rate than just office visits.

i dont think we want national healthcare. i do think its crazy that we have so many uninsured patients in our country. i think its not right to require patients to have healthcare but then if someone is uninsured that is a personal choice BUT they should bear the personal responsibility of that decision and should get their healthcare at an expanded governmental facility be it an expansion of county clinics or whatever form that might take. and dont complain if you have to wait a long time for appointments because it will be free or discounted care.

my personal general beef is with people who have a sense of entitlement which goes along with a basic loss of personal responsibility but then OH MY BAD I FORGOT personal responsibility for anything is no longer required on this planet of ours. everything (for some people) is someone's else's fault or someone's else responsibility to take care of it for them.

Teddy Roosevelt
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleZ View Post
Not sure if the ruling is going to stand. If the Government can't force you to buy into a plan or buy something.......... Then it could be argued that my paycheck deduction for Social Security is unconstitutional. The Govt is forcing me to buy into a retirement plan.
Good point. I guess to have a civilized society we all have to chip in regardless if we use all services or not. The Fed. tax that comes out of each check gets spread out to all sorts of programs that I do not use. Likewise my property taxes fund things I do not use either, for example the schools. I have no kids so theoretically I should not be paying for the school system. Guess the point is that if everyone only paid for the exact services they use the whole social structure and civilization would fall apart because of lack of funds.

Under200
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Quote:
...If the Government can't force you to buy into a plan or buy something.......... Then it could be argued that my paycheck deduction for Social Security is unconstitutional. The Govt is forcing me to buy into a retirement plan.
The ruling should stand (key word here is should) because it is unconstitutional for government to force the citizens to purchase anything.
Social security is not a retirement plan. It is a tax that is (supposed to be) set aside to provide assistance to the elderly and the indigent/infirm. You are not buying it, you are funding it with a tax. That's exactly what makes the health care reform act unconstitutional...It is supposed to be funded by mandating that everyone buy insurance...BUT...the government cannot mandate that we buy anything.
This is also why the whole act will go down in flames if this ruling is upheld because the part that funds it will be thrown out and without funding the rest of the provisions are useless.
At least that's how I understand it.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
The ruling should stand (key word here is should) because it is unconstitutional for government to force the citizens to purchase anything.
Social security is not a retirement plan. It is a tax that is (supposed to be) set aside to provide assistance to the elderly and the indigent/infirm. You are not buying it, you are funding it with a tax. That's exactly what makes the health care reform act unconstitutional...It is supposed to be funded by mandating that everyone buy insurance...BUT...the government cannot mandate that we buy anything.
This is also why the whole act will go down in flames if this ruling is upheld because the part that funds it will be thrown out and without funding the rest of the provisions are useless.
At least that's how I understand it.
That's pretty spot on. Not only that, but if you have the same number of uninsured using the system as before and still using health care...... Nothings changed. The only way to make health care cheaper for most of us, is to increase the money coming in from the leeches.

If the government can't mandate you buy something, but CAN mandate a tax for something, that's what they'll do. Youll see a national tax of $4k a year to pay for health insurance. If you have your own, you'll get a tax break.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Quote:
That's pretty spot on. Not only that, but if you have the same number of uninsured using the system as before and still using health care...... Nothings changed. The only way to make health care cheaper for most of us, is to increase the money coming in from the leeches.

If the government can't mandate you buy something, but CAN mandate a tax for something, that's what they'll do. Youll see a national tax of $4k a year to pay for health insurance. If you have your own, you'll get a tax break.
dead on agree. if you pay for insurance you should get a tax break or if you supply it for an employee you should get a tax break.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode