Wealth Is What You Save, Not What You Spend - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Wealth Is What You Save, Not What You Spend

Good article.

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/fina...waad=ad0035&nc

Quote:
Want to be a millionaire? Don't overspend and use debt wisely.

We all may not be millionaires but there are plenty of financial and life-planning secrets we can learn from the well-heeled.

Most people know that wealth in the U.S. is in the hands of a small percentage of the total population. And, today, most of those folks with a net worth of $1 million or more have earned it themselves.

They're mostly entrepreneurs who create everything from high-speed networks to garbage haulers. They dig ditches and build houses and grow corn and make jewelry. They deal stamps or coins or artwork and control pests and cut lawns. They also cure people and give them new teeth. Others will defend their neighbors or even feed them.

And they're not big spenders. In fact, most of those with big bucks live well under their means -- think about Warren Buffett still living in that modest Omaha home -- and they put their money instead toward investments that help them stockpile more wealth.

"Wealth is what you accumulate, not what you spend," according to Thomas Stanley and William Danko, the authors of the seminal tome on America's wealthy "The Millionaire Next Door," first published in 1996.

"It is seldom luck or inheritance or advanced degrees or even intelligence that enables people to amass fortunes," the authors wrote. "Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline."

Wealth is defined in many ways, though it's generally determined as the value of everything you own minus debts. But there's a difference between marketable assets -- things you own that could be liquidated rather quickly, like stocks, bonds, real estate -- and possessions like cars, clothing and household items that you use regularly and aren't likely to sell.

Income alone does not make one rich. It helps, of course, to build wealth, but the financially independent look to their salaries as a means to an end, which is that pile of cash.

"The wealthy don't spend their wealth on discretionary purchases," said Pam Danziger, founder of Unity Marketing, a consumer market-research firm specializing in luxury goods and experiences. "They get rich by maximizing the value of their investments."

That doesn't mean they don't pay big bucks for pretty shoes or outfits, but that most choose those items carefully and shop for value and quality. "They truly evaluate the purchase as an investment, not an expense," Danziger said.

What they do though is diversify those investments, which gives them more flexibility to ride out difficult times. "The wealthiest clients have very, very diversified portfolios that go way beyond just stocks and bonds into hedge funds, currencies, commodities and emerging markets," said Leslie Lassiter, managing director of the JPMorgan Private Wealth Management.

"There are many, many mutual funds out there that will allow you to get exposure to those types of asset classes," Lassiter said.

Among the biggest differences between those flush with cash and those wishing they were is in how they pay for things. Millionaires tend to use cash for most of their purchases, including cars, homes and boats.

For the average wage earner, of course, that's not always an option but it still holds this lesson: Don't look to debt to fund your lifestyle.

Most wealthy people use debt for investment purposes and are careful not to over-leverage themselves. "A prudent use of debt is an appropriate thing for anyone," Lassiter said.

They also plan very well and spend a lot of time at it. Many are compulsive savers and investors who often say the journey to riches was far more fun than the reaching the goal.

And they're patient, willing to invest in the long term and wait it out. "They stick with their investments and are more likely to have a financial plan," said Sanjiv Mirchandani, president of National Financial, a subsidiary of Fidelity Investments.

Many take the long-term approach to investing because they're working at being financial independent. When they retire, for example, many will know exactly how much they need to live on, to give away and to leave as a legacy.

"The best ones really understand how much liquidity they need to cover their expenses and make sure they have that much cash on hand," Lassiter said. "That's something the average person should do as well."

At the same time, she said most are very careful about leveraging debt. "The wealthy tend to balance between the two," she said.

Recommendations for accumulating wealth:

Live below your means: People with high incomes who spend all that money are not rich; they're just stupid.

Plan: That means plan for today, tomorrow and 30 years after retirement. Take time doing it too and spend time monitoring it every day. Use budgets and stick to them.

Diversify: As Lassiter said, look for mutual funds that allow you exposure to asset classes that aren't related to each other.

Reduce use of credit and turn to cash: It's easier, of course, for a prosperous person to pay for a house in cash than it might be for most folks, but credit-card debt for luxury purchases or extravagant vacations will never pave a road to riches.

Have access to cash: While the rich keep much of their wealth invested, they can get cash when they need it. "Have some kind of line of credit available, like a HELOC (home-equity line of credit) that you never use," Lassiter said. "It's a safety valve." She suggests a year's worth of cash to cover expenses; Danziger thinks three years worth is a better bet.

Spread cash around: When the wealthy pulled money out of the equities markets two and three years ago, they opened a bevy of bank accounts, all guaranteed up to $250,000 of deposits by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

Bring your children into the mix, and remember the importance of estate planning: The affluent can go to great lengths to teach their children about money and how to manage it -- something every family should do. Though talking about money with children consistently ranks as one of the most dreaded conversations, it's important that your heirs know where all the bank accounts and safe-deposit boxes are -- even that their names are on them, too -- who the attorney is, where the will and trusts are filed.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm a non-achiever.

Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops

Self discipline. Not one of my strong suits LOL

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

It's good to have land.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaugdog View Post
Yeah, well, um.................im never gonna be wealthy, thats for sure!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

force businesses to give you free things when your warranty expires
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaugdog View Post
You too huh!

You cant take it with ya so spend the shit, we might be dead by tommorow!

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Good article.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Good stuff....

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

I laugh at people with $700 per month car payments and $67 dollars in their savings account. Good article

Eric
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I laugh at people with $700 per month car payments and $67 dollars in their savings account. Good article
that's what you call a broke ass fly muffucka.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Sportbike: zx6r
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: friend

it takes money to make money! investing and diversification of funds is easy when u have additional income to cover ur rent/mortgage and cover your preliminary cost such as food, gas, car, MOTORCYCLE, etc...
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannho View Post
it takes money to make money! investing and diversification of funds is easy when u have additional income to cover ur rent/mortgage and cover your preliminary cost such as food, gas, car, MOTORCYCLE, etc...
If you don't have money left over after your main expenses, your expenses are too high! Sell the MC, find lower rent, whatever it takes. It may suck for awhile but in the long term it helps.

-Mike
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

just wait to make it before u spend it. people have no self control. ive never taken out a loan in my life or paid a penny of interest and never will.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)

Last edited by nouseforaname; 04-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnat View Post
You too huh!

This!

You can't take it with you when you go and you can always make more while you're here.

Fuck saving, it's the American way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Yeahbut they look fly sitting in driveway. Too bad they cant afford the gas to drive the thing!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Yeahbut they look fly sitting in driveway. Too bad they cant afford the gas to drive the thing!
Driveway, For some motherfuckers its their house they drive around in their Escalade, they just have 5 ladyz they roll from to rest their heads at night !

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

I love this line: "That means plan for today, tomorrow and 30 years after retirement."

30 years after? I'll be in the grave and not really worried about where my money goes.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

save for today, because a zombie can get you tomorrow

WIN
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnat View Post
You too huh!

Ummm........ I'm not going there.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

There's always a fine line.

I agree, you can't take it with you. Plus, if you leave it you'll lose 1/2 to estate taxes and what not (yes there are ways around that, but 90% of people, and that includes those that are wealthy, don't plan for that accordingly).

You've got to save to be safe, but you also have to live a little. If you enjoy riding the track, and its expensive, but puts a smile on your face...that's investing in your pleasure, your health and happiness no?

I don't like when people write singled minded articles like this. It's all about the goal of amassing large amounts of money in bank accounts and looking at it. In that case, buy real gold with it, and put it in your basement, at least it looks cool when you stare at it.

If you're a millionaire but live like you make $20K a year...then whats the point of being a millionaire?

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
i got a 1/4 tank of gas.... in my new e-class....

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Buy a Ducati = baller and broke :P
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
just wait to make it before u spend it. people have no self control. ive never taken out a loan in my life or paid a penny of interest and never will.
Never plan on buying a house?
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparBoyy View Post
i got a 1/4 tank of gas.... in my new e-class....

I kept listening to that song expecting to hear something about riding Supermotos but never did. Guess there's different levels of being trash.

At least the song made me feel better about myself.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Lookin to Ride!

Sportbike: 2008 CBR 1000RR and 2010 Victory Jackpot premium
Years Riding: One could say, I've been around the block a few times....
How you found us: Through the "GrapeVine"

Staying out of debt is KEY right now!

Tom
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets View Post
Never plan on buying a house?

i own a home. many years of hard work in addition to being responsible and patient has its rewards. i bet i make less than most people on this forum. its just a matter of waiting to acquire the funds before u spend all ur money being a slave paying interest forever. the concept of buying something without first having the funds to buy that item is something i dont comprehend. its the way i was brought up.

i have a few toys. but i dont feel the need to have the latest and greatest or a 3000sq house to gloat over. i could but if i had that mentality i wouldnt be where im at today. catch 22

its been brought up in this thread that having lots of cash is meaningless and u cant take it with u and whats it good for besides staring at. what are material possessions good for? does having a brand new lambo or needing a duc make someone any happier than a used r32 or a used r6? its a meaningless status symbol certain people feel they need.

that pile of cash in the basement is called being responsible and trying to compensate for lifes unexpected disasters and future financial trouble so u dont have to have ur home foreclosed on if u lose ur swanky job where ur still living paycheck to paycheck. its that mentality that gets people in trouble.

if someone needs some article to tell them that they need to stop and think for a long time. blame loose credit lending for the nations recession......its bullshit.... it comes down to blatant individual irresponsibility that this nation finds itself in our current economic situation.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
i own a home. many years of hard work in addition to being responsible and patient has its rewards. i bet i make less than most people on this forum. its just a matter of waiting to acquire the funds before u spend all ur money being a slave paying interest forever. the concept of buying something without first having the funds to buy that item is something i dont comprehend. its the way i was brought up.

i have a few toys. but i dont feel the need to have the latest and greatest or a 3000sq house to gloat over. i could but if i had that mentality i wouldnt be where im at today. catch 22

its been brought up in this thread that having lots of cash is meaningless and u cant take it with u and whats it good for besides staring at. what are material possessions good for? does having a brand new lambo or needing a duc make someone any happier than a used r32 or a used r6? its a meaningless status symbol certain people feel they need.

that pile of cash in the basement is called being responsible and trying to compensate for lifes unexpected disasters and future financial trouble so u dont have to have ur home foreclosed on if u lose ur swanky job where ur still living paycheck to paycheck. its that mentality that gets people in trouble.

if someone needs some article to tell them that they need to stop and think for a long time. blame loose credit lending for the nations recession......its bullshit.... it comes down to blatant individual irresponsibility that this nation finds itself in our current economic situation.
HAHAHAHA, whatever helps you sleep at night, broke ass douchebag!!!!

J/K, This post makes me love you. Dead motherfucking nuts duder.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 AM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

if people were financially responsible, CCS would be outta business

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
force businesses to give you free things when your warranty expires
Why do you always got to start some shit in every thread. Dude let shit go for once in your small existence

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode