US Motorcycle Deaths Drop Again - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

US Motorcycle Deaths Drop Again

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...eaths-down.htm

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Quote:
Reduce impaired driving. In 2009, 29% of motorcyclists killed in crashes had blood-alcohol contents above the legal limit for operating a motor vehicle.
I dont understand people that get shit canned sloppy and decide to get on their bike. Makes about as much sense as the guy at the bar the other night telling me he's had his 600 up to 204mph.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets View Post
I dont understand people that get shit canned sloppy and decide to get on their bike. Makes about as much sense as the guy at the bar the other night telling me he's had his 600 up to 204mph.
That's possible!

.... in a vertical drop from an airplane. ( I would guess, for details I would need to calculate...)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 AM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
That's possible!

.... in a vertical drop from an airplane. ( I would guess, for details I would need to calculate...)
what if you put a 9 hundred in a 600 frame?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennywags View Post
what if you put a 9 hundred in a 600 frame?
Than you could race a BMW down the EOE.... if you had the balls... We have to go back and look for that guy, he wanted to race for titles, right?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM
The apex was where?

Sportbike: '07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: Always learning.
How you found us: A vision.

Quote:
The announcement follows an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety study showing that motorcycles equipped with anti-lock brakes are 37% less likely to be involved in a fatal crash than models without them.
If I recall it is usually the rider who is able to avoid a crash, I doubt that you would reduce fatalities by 37% by simply putting anti lock brakes on all motorcycles. Most (not all) crashes are still not the primary fault of the motorcyclist. So again having ABS isn't going to help getting rear ended or side swiped. or t-bones, ect. ABS may only help in the crashes where the motorcyclist was not able to stop in time. Notice I say motorcyclist, because most of the time it is the rider who is not able to properly use the motorcycle to its fullest capabilities, not the lack of braking on the motorcycle.

Though if I were wrong and by some chance it could reduce fatalities by 37%, then I have no issues for street bikes, just cannot imagine it happening.

Corey aka: phkz24
NESBA "I" #24
MSF Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Ole Book of Truth
It is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission
Godspeed Ashwin.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power House View Post
Most (not all) crashes are still not the primary fault of the motorcyclist. So again having ABS isn't going to help getting rear ended or side swiped. or t-bones, ect. ABS may only help in the crashes where the motorcyclist was not able to stop in time.
Corey, I would respectfully disagree. While I have no data, I would estimate that 80-90% of motorcycle accidents are due to rider error in the end. That statistic about anti-lock brakes doesnt suggest that they are stopping or slowing more quickly, just that they are doing it without locking the front wheel and lowsiding. Thats my take. There have been plenty of situations Ive been in on the street where I would have become a statistic if that same situation occurred earlier in my life when I was just starting to ride.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."

Last edited by Kegger; 04-19-2011 at 11:21 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Sportbike: smokey one
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: stumbled onto you

which bikes are equiped with ABS?
It seems to me BMW has had ABS since the early 90's
What type of rider typically buys a BMW?
It seems to me that often you see BMW riders in full aero stitch suits and related safety gear
So riders who tend to value safety are less likey to be involved in fatal crashes
Duh!

WERA 917 EX
NESBA 917 A
CWIRA 917

Aprilia
RS250 dsb
Kaw 6r ss
ice
KX500 open C
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Does it make less sense than getting in a car shit canned sloppy?

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.

Last edited by jrock; 04-19-2011 at 12:58 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM
The apex was where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Corey, I would respectfully disagree. While I have no data, I would estimate that 80-90% of motorcycle accidents are due to rider error in the end. That statistic about anti-lock brakes doesnt suggest that they are stopping or slowing more quickly, just that they are doing it without locking the front wheel and lowsiding. Thats my take. There have been plenty of situations Ive been in on the street where I would have become a statistic if that same situation occurred earlier in my life when I was just starting to ride.
Hummm interesting, I would think of that more as 80-90% of crashes could have been avoided with proper skills and actions are taken. The initial fault was not the motorcyclist, but proper actions taken by the motorcyclist could have still prevented a crash. Example, you are traveling westbound on a two lane road coming up to a T intersection. There is a car at the intersection waiting to turn east bound, which will have to cross your lane to complete the turn. At the worst time the car pulls out in front of you. Some people would never hit the brakes, some might lay it down on purpose, some might try to swerve to avoid the car. In any case the situation although never 100% the car's fault, the fault for this incident would be the car's for compiling statistics. Skills may help in this situation, but just because a rider may not have the experience/skills at any given time, this should not absolve the original fault of the car. And I am not suggesting that that is what you meant Kegger.

I would agree with you if you were saying that 80-90% of crashes involving motorcycles could have been prevented with proper action and skills.

And I, like you, have no sources to quote for my thought up number, just my thoughts.

ride safe ya'll

NESBA "I" #24
MSF Instructor
Quote:
Godspeed Ashwin.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:33 PM
he who is absent foreskin

Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Does anyone know where you can get the raw data that they use to calculate these figures?

Jordan
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Does it make less sense than getting in a car shit canned sloppy?
To an extent, yes. You need balance to ride a bike, not drive a car. However, I singled out bike because of the statistic provided in the article.

This statement is not meant to be interpreted as me condoning operating any motor vehicle under the influence. It is a foolish, and extremely dangerous thing to do.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power House View Post
Hummm interesting, I would think of that more as 80-90% of crashes could have been avoided with proper skills and actions are taken. The initial fault was not the motorcyclist, but proper actions taken by the motorcyclist could have still prevented a crash. Example, you are traveling westbound on a two lane road coming up to a T intersection. There is a car at the intersection waiting to turn east bound, which will have to ............
Yes and no, Corey. I am just saying that front wheel locking is probably a major reason for MC crashes (Ive done it twice that I know of) and that I could see that anti-lock brakes would lower those instances dramatically, and support the claims in reduction of 37%. You are taking the riders skill at braking out of the equation. Until a rider has trained those muscles and their brain to instinctively use a slow progressive squeeze (even in an emergency stop), the natural reaction is to grab the brake lever quickly with a death grip resulting in a fall and increased likelihood of hitting a stationary object once dismounted. I could see where many riders fall even if it was a car pulling out in front of them, where their braking was the cause of the fall, not the car pulling in front of them, if they had antilock brakes, they wouldnt have fallen and they would have stopped in time. So we are agreeing, but not agreeing at the same time. LOL!

We agree about the skills getting riders out of trouble.
We dont agree about the anti-lock brakes not helping. I think that it WOULD help substantially, especially with the severely under skilled rider population in the US.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:15 PM
King Nothing

Quote:
To an extent, yes. You need balance to ride a bike, not drive a car. However, I singled out bike because of the statistic provided in the article.

This statement is not meant to be interpreted as me condoning operating any motor vehicle under the influence. It is a foolish, and extremely dangerous thing to do.
Realistically though, once moving the centrifugal force of the wheels turning would allow a drunk person to drive in a straighter line on a motorcycle than in a car. Thats probably why you dont see as many motorcyclists as cars (and the fact that there are more cars on the road) getting pulled over for DUI. Its EASIER to ride a motorcycle at speed in a straight line than a car. True story.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM
The apex was where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Yes and no, Corey. I am just saying that front wheel locking is probably a major reason for MC crashes (Ive done it twice that I know of) and that I could see that anti-lock brakes would lower those instances dramatically, and support the claims in reduction of 37%. You are taking the riders skill at braking out of the equation. Until a rider has trained those muscles and their brain to instinctively use a slow progressive squeeze (even in an emergency stop), the natural reaction is to grab the brake lever quickly with a death grip resulting in a fall and increased likelihood of hitting a stationary object once dismounted. I could see where many riders fall even if it was a car pulling out in front of them, where their braking was the cause of the fall, not the car pulling in front of them, if they had antilock brakes, they wouldnt have fallen and they would have stopped in time. So we are agreeing, but not agreeing at the same time. LOL!

We agree about the skills getting riders out of trouble.
We dont agree about the anti-lock brakes not helping. I think that it WOULD help substantially, especially with the severely under skilled rider population in the US.
As you stated it here, I completely understand what you mean now and agree

NESBA "I" #24
MSF Instructor
Quote:
Godspeed Ashwin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode