Motorcycle Safety - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

Motorcycle Safety

Hey Guys ...

So I've been noticing a huge increase in Motorcycles and Scooters in Iowa City and at the University. And the majority of them don't use helmets or any sort of protective gear (~90%).

A moped/scooter rental also just opened up and has been pretty popular with the students.

So now that I've been preaching safety and responsibility to my friends and people who talk to me about motorcycling ... how hard would it be to start a class dealing with general riding technique as well as maintenance. The maintenance issue is mainly with scooters ... as most of them are ridden to death and probably never serviced until they don't start.

I know that I don't have as much experience as some, but I feel as though I've experienced a lot in a short period of time when it comes to motorcycling (crashing, maintenance, repairs, road-trips, a trackday, and friends dying from drivers as well as their own actions).

There is an MSF course available through a near-by community college (which is usually full according to friends) but I want to see if I can do something through the University to teach motorcycle safety and try to get the community here to start seeing motorcycles as people rather than annoyances (as many riders here are idiots).

So any ideas or helpful criticism is greatly appreciated. I'm just tired of seeing accidents and people riding recklessly.

Thanks,
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Sportbike: 1998 GSX-R600
Years Riding: 4th season
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Try to get your advertisements on bridges and overpasses. We have them all over around Chicago.

http://www.startseeingmotorcycles.org/

-Chris
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

It's a noble idea, but not practical. The biggest issue you'll face is liability. Someone takes your class, then crashes and gets injured, then sues you because they say you taught them incorrectly.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopFu View Post
It's a noble idea, but not practical. The biggest issue you'll face is liability. Someone takes your class, then crashes and gets injured, then sues you because they say you taught them incorrectly.
everybody signs their life away to even watch a trackday or enter a theme park. I'm sure you could come up with a waiver to take care of that.

I would start by getting together specific information you think is important to pass along. Then go talk to your advisor and/or department heads about the idea. Some of those types really get off on a student with an idea, assuming you are a student.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

Yeah I'm finishing up my Junior year in Chemical Engineering. I know there is a lot I'd like to cover and it will be tough finding a way to get people interested ... but I think its really needed here.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
Yeah I'm finishing up my Junior year in Chemical Engineering.
ah, perfect. i've got a question.....

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
everybody signs their life away to even watch a trackday or enter a theme park. I'm sure you could come up with a waiver to take care of that.
Having a waiver doesn't stop them from suing you. I know NIU has some pretty good stories of people trying to sue their MSF program. A waiver could potentially help your case, but you would still have to prove that whatever you taught them was not the cause of the accident.

You could inquire about becoming a certified MSF instructor, and then whoever your employer is would be covering the liability issue. Pay isn't great, but you're screwing around on motorcycles with people who usually want to learn.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode