Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Will County Taxes

3K views 100 replies 23 participants last post by  Kegger 
#1 ·
Got my tax bill yesterday...jeebus, my damn taxes have gone up almost 30% since I moved in 4 years ago...and they were high to begin with!! Over 60% of it is the school district............seriously, my taxes are now almost 50% of my base mortgage payment. Unreal.

#7 ·
Yeah it sucks. Mine have gone up 100% in 10 years. It's incredibly stupid. People keep voting in idiots who spend money. My town issued bonds last year for a library and new town hall. The town hall is monstrous and empty. They have one person working in a 10,000 square foot room when you walk in. We didn't need that building at all. And a library? Who needs a new library? Does anyone even go to the library anymore with the Internet attheir disposal?

#9 ·
The rod up the asses of everyone in my school district is the huge build up of the school system in anticipation of all of the new developments...most of which were never finished. SO, not only are we paying for 1/2 full buildings, but far FEWER people are paying the bill then was originally anticipated.

Yuck. That ought to help the home sale out!:laughing :doh

#69 ·
Yep, I have friends who moved out to the far burbs during the housing boom. They were building new schools and buildings to support the new developments everywhere. Bubble popped, new housing stopped, some still not finished. Then a few years later people started defaulting on their loans and leaving the area. Now you have a situation where all these new schools and village buildings are up and there is a fraction of the anticipated residents to pay the taxes. Solution I guess was to increase taxes for the few that remained. Really sucks but what can be done? Close all the schools, fire dept and police? Tough situation.

#10 ·
I've got like 8 public elementary schools within 2 miles of my place in the city [and 6-10 parochial/private], and they are all full of kids. Sounds like they did good planning, but didn't properly time the execution of construction as the housing market died.

You are probably stuck for a couple more years until the housing market recovers and they build out all the subdivisions to get new taxpayers on the rolls. Any chance they can mothball a couple of schools to save some operating $ [the capital costs won't change] until demand grows?

#11 ·
The whole education system is corrupt with unions and lobbyists. That's why the education of kids is going the way if the automakers. Yet we still vote these bozos in.

The real question for me is what does the value of my house/land have anything to do with what I pay in taxes? It doesn't make sense. I don't have kids or use any of the expensive services offered. Yet I pay more than people who do have kids and use the services much much more. It's just distribution of wealth as far as I can tell!

#13 ·
Just another way to get the doers to pay for the takers. It really sucks...no longer are we paying to simply build and staff a school...we're paying for all the perks and entitlements that have become part and parcel of "the system". Thankfully, it appears that all of that crap may no longer be viewed as simply status quo.

#12 ·
I doubt it. They're all up and running...shutting any of them down would mean layoffs and a big beef with the teachers.

The shit of it is often times subdivisions have to give a donation to the schools to help pay for this stuff to get going, so many of them shutting down, going under or never even getting started really hurt things.

Did you ever hear what happened in the U-46 South Elgin school district? I worked on the design/surveying for that build out in '03-'04...they passed the referendum to fund the construction of a new high school/junior high.......but neglected to budget paying to staff them!! I'm not kidding, they sat (completed) for a year while the money was allocated to higher the teachers.

The Village Manager stepped down for that one.

#16 ·
There's an operating referendum for MVHS (and other things) in the works so keep an eye out for it... The ES's are very underutilized and the middle school peak enrollment has already gone through... those populations will go down even more in the coming years and we'll have even more half-empty schools. We've been saying for years now that they need to start consolidating starting at the ES level. If people who knew how to manage resources were running the show they would have closed the school by me years ago instead of bussing more and more kids in from 5 miles away. Also, shuffling the kids around via bussing helps them move the 'problem' children (aka low test scorers) around to try to be one step in front of NCLB standards. Spend the money on teaching the kids, not building unnecessary brick and mortar and saddling the tax payers with redundant administration costs...

But NooOOoo, they didn't listen and now we're going to pay (an even higher) price. Get your butt out and vote in 2 years to get rid of more rubber stampers on the local school board.

#15 ·
Jrock, I'm not going down that road on this one. But I certainly don't think people with kids should get the tax breaks that I don't get. It's not right that people without kids get penalized and have to pay a bigger share of the taxes for services they don't even use. I won't go as far as saying "all" because there is certainly a benefit to the community that kids get educated.

Reactions: Muskrat
#23 ·
It's not right that people without kids get penalized and have to pay a bigger share of the taxes for services they don't even use. I won't go as far as saying "all" because there is certainly a benefit to the community that kids get educated.
Your taxes are based on your property value. So, how are you paying a bigger share because you don't have kids? And by that logic, none of our taxes should go to any service we don't use (planned parenthood, speech therapy for young kids, etc, etc, etc).

#28 ·
People without kids still have homes with the desirability and selling point of being in a place 'for kids'. At least that's how it was 10 yrs ago.. now we're all fucked with properties in places where the fucking taxes are too damned high..

Who was that one guy running for office from the "The rent is too damned high" party? :lmao:

#33 ·
I shouldn't have to explain the huge tax benefits for those who have kids. Not to mention the enormous consumption of available government services that open for those kids either. That's just common knowledge at this point.

Besides....the MILFS use those trails and parks more than I do! :) lol

I'm going to cut my own grass now! :)

Reactions: Cerk
#39 ·
My brother-inlaw thinks there should be no social services provided by the government. He says to me with a straight face, "Do you know what wild horses do when a colt or a foal is born disabled?. They stomp it do death." Then he goes on to say that those services should be provided by the community, not by the government and funded by taxes. How does that statement and that "wild horses" example make any sense?

And this guy has a 2 year old daughter.

My response was, "Because we aren't f-ing animals. We are human beings capable of reason."

#56 ·
My response was, "Because we aren't f-ing animals. We are human beings capable of reason."
Are we capable of reason?

Id rethink that if that state were true we wouldnt be where we are today

#41 ·
Maybe try to claim/deduct "Mustang" next year?
the only way to do that would be to open a custom car building business and use the mustang as a marketing expense.

or maybe I could claim summit racing as a dependent, they are sure seem like part of the family lately :jester

#43 ·
i dont have kids so i wouldnt know the automatic tax deduction.

so what is it?

if we are gonna turn this into a property taxes versus kids taxes this is one fucked up thread.

here let me shorten it up.

people pay the same tax if you have kids or not on your home and property. they use that money for everything municipal. (brians beef is all the tax they take also for schools when he doesnt have none) ...p.s. i share his frustration.

now parents get tax credit annually for children and all the write off's.

now for parents, is it that big of a deal of savings versus the actual cost of it all? FUCK NO!!

but the point is, parents when it pertains to government tax credits and exemptions are a major plus to go with the choice of having kids ( a family)

for a non parent paying all those school taxes and what not, IT FUCKEN SUCKS!

wither you choose to have kids or can have kids. it was your choice, so you got no beef bitching about those maybe 30-40% school district taxes (dont quote me on %)

for a person that doesnt have kids? yeah ill take a few thousand back into my pocket please!

prorate this crap already!!

plainfield got 15-20k from me for grade school's and Jr highs, GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK! (so i wish)!!!

#51 ·
but the point is, parents when it pertains to government tax credits and exemptions are a major plus to go with the choice of having kids ( a family)
Hardly.

Look, it isn't live where you want and pay as you go/use. You pay to live in a community. You don't want to penalized for not having kids, but the truth is you aren't. People should not be penalized for having kids either, but you seem to think that people are being rewarded for having them. They aren't. They are getting a break for, hopefully, making a positive contribution to society. It is a choice sure, but it is much more complex than that. It is the most basic natural thing to do. Kids aren't some kind of goverment tax break cash cow. That's absurd.

#44 ·
Wow!! Ken summed that up pretty good for me while I was cutting my lawn! Thanks! :)

My biggest problem is it's peoples choice to have kids. Once they have them they get the deduction on their income tax. Yeah they pay a lot for childcare/food/diapers but that was their choice. Hell I'd do it if I could! The more kids they have the more they get in deduction. Yeah, some of you guys don't get much of a deduction because of your incomes. You still get something, and there are a lot of people getting more than you and even abusing the system having kids for the money. That sickens me! Regardless having kids was there choice. So they're overall taxes are less than mine. I still pay the same amount on my property tax as they do when I don't have kids. My usage of services is lower than theirs yet my overall taxes are higher. Even if it is only $800 versus some of you with solid incomes it's still more. It's significantly more for versus people with more kids or less incomes. It's not right and frustrating to me. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be complaining if I was you either. If I could have kids I'd gladly pay whatever it was for the services I use. It's part of my choice to have kids IMO. I'm not knocking on you guys with kids. I just don't think the tax structure is fair for those that don't have them.

#45 ·
wow!! Ken summed that up pretty good for me while i was cutting my lawn! Thanks! :)

my biggest problem is it's peoples choice to have kids. Once they have them they get the deduction on their income tax. Yeah they pay a lot for childcare/food/diapers but that was their choice. Hell i'd do it if i could! The more kids they have the more they get in deduction. Yeah, some of you guys don't get much of a deduction because of your incomes. You still get something, and there are a lot of people getting more than you and even abusing the system having kids for the money. That sickens me! Regardless having kids was there choice. So they're overall taxes are less than mine. I still pay the same amount on my property tax as they do when i don't have kids. My usage of services is lower than theirs yet my overall taxes are higher. Even if it is only $800 versus some of you with solid incomes it's still more. It's significantly more for versus people with more kids or less incomes. It's not right and frustrating to me. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be complaining if i was you either. If i could have kids i'd gladly pay whatever it was for the services i use. It's part of my choice to have kids imo. I'm not knocking on you guys with kids. I just don't think the tax structure is fair for those that don't have them.
^^^+100

#50 ·
what really sucks is Maya will more than likely be going to private school, so I will be paying for school twice. Hence my support for voucher initiatives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.