RIP you little rascal! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Track Noob

Sportbike: Ducati Monster S2R
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: MoChA

RIP you little rascal!

link

Jackie Cooper, whose tousled blond hair, pouty lower lip and ability to cry on camera helped make him one of the top child stars of the 1930s in films such as "Skippy" and "The Champ," has died. He was 88.

Cooper died Tuesday in a Los Angeles-area hospital after a brief illness, said his longtime agent Ronnie Leif.

A former "Our Gang" cast member whose Hollywood career began as an extra in silent movies at age 3, Cooper shot to stardom in 1931, at 8, playing the title role in "Skippy." The film, in which Cooper had three signature crying scenes, earned him an Academy Award nomination for best actor in a leading role.

05 Monster S2R.. Modded to hell
00 Yamaha R6 Track Bike (Thanks Biggy)
NESBA I #13

My Garage
If its black, lean it over
If its green, stand it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

He was "Butch" in the little Rascals and always battled Alfalfa for Darla

Fuckin Bill Cosby - Bought the rights for "Our Gang' AKA The Little Rascals and ceased all disti of the footage - He did not like the way "Buckwheat" was portrayed or the use of the name "Stymie"

Such great film

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

You've got Jackie Cooper in the wrong role in the Rascals there Bug...His time spent with the "Little Rascals" was the generation before Spanky & Alfalfa became the "Our Gang" main guys...Jackie Cooper appeared in many features as a child and an adult, including The Wizard of Oz as a Munchkin (he was one of the lollipop guild) and played opposite Henry Fonda as Frank James young sidekick in the Return of Jesse James at about 18. He popped up on alot of TV too...even had his own show in the '50's. I can't recall the name of the show but his co-star was a Basset Hound named Cleo! His later years were spent directing and producing decades of TV.
My dad was a complete movie buff and was a big fan of Jackie Cooper...they were about the same age and all kids of the depression that were lucky enough to get to go to the movies identified with the Little Rascals...my dad was the one who pointed him out to me in Oz when I was a kid.
He really was quite a talent and one of the child stars that went on to bigger things...Kinda like Ronnie Howard before Ronnie Howard became Ronnie Howard!
Turner Classic Movies did a whole week on the Little Rascals/Our Gang films and did a rundown of all the characters and how they evolved and eventually were replaced...Spanky had the longest run starting when he was about 3 and ending when he was about 15 when the series was killled by MGM...They showed all of the talkies in order and a few of the silents back in January. I am almost sure they're available on DVD from TCM.com. It's amazing what you learn laid up sick and watching TV!

Sad To know he's gone...the passing of an era in many ways.

Rest in Peace Jackie Cooper...Your work on film is here to stay for many generations yet to come to appreciate! Godspeed.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

OTB

RIP and thank you for your contribution through your life to the art.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Wow, some great info in this thread.

I have some great memories of watching The Little Rascals with my Dad when I was very young.

LOL, he was Perry White in the original Superman movies! (I just IMDB'd him since I thought I remember him in gangster movies)

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 05-05-2011 at 06:14 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

darla was a piece of ass.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Sportbike: CD225
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Google

You were one of my favorite little rascals. Loved his as a Little Rascal! Even my children knows about Jackie Cooper which is amazing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

I thought he was "Butch" on the Lil Rascals? - Man, I am losing it

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post

Fuckin Bill Cosby - Bought the rights for "Our Gang' AKA The Little Rascals and ceased all disti of the footage - He did not like the way "Buckwheat" was portrayed or the use of the name "Stymi

looked that up and that isn't true. I guess it was a large rumor thou, since little rascals is NEVER ON.

Love the little Rascals and Our Gang. Use to watch it on 32 (before fox) in the mornings.

what sucks is that our gang was owned by different video companies. So its hard to get the entire collection on DVD. theres like 200 shorts but the largest collection only has 80. Sure there were some VHS that had the silent shorts. those are rare too. I got one of them when they go to an amusement park. good shiet.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:48 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Bug,...An honest mistake...there were so many kids that were in the series over the years.
I checked TCM.com and there are about a half dozen DVD's that include Little Rascals and Our Gang films available from their site.
Read a little about the series late last night...seems the series was originated by Hal Roach and all of the silent and the early talkies were produced by Hal Roach Studios. Those films included Fatty and Farina and Petey the dog (The Pit Bull with the circle around his eye) who was with a couple of line ups starting in the silents. During those early talkies was when Jackie Cooper was in the cast. As those kids got older they were replaced by Stymie and the very young Spanky and as a few years went by a very young Buckwheat and Wheezer came in with the kid who wore the baseball cap and sweater who was Spanky's sidekick for a time. In the late 30's/early '40's Roach sold the production rights to MGM and that's when Alfalfa, Butch, Darla, Froggy and Mickey (Robert Blake) joined Spanky and Buckwheat in the final line up of the series. By the time World War 2 came to an end the Little Rascals/Our Gang films were no more.
It's kind of interesting where some of those kids wound up. Jackie Cooper was one of the luckier ones.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode