Glad they didn't explode on you
Well lets start out with what we found when we got the forks.
1) the clickers were maxed out (full hard)
2) there was some pretty bad scoring on teh fork tubes
Digging in we found a couple things, first, the fork oil that was in there was very very dirty and probably 5w rather than 10w like the forks were designed to use. The thinner oil explained why the clickers were maxed and still not providing enough damping.
The next thing we found were the bushings were very damaged which explained the scoring on the tubes, teh teflon coating had started bubbling and pealing off. It wasn't clear if it was a part failure (honda since came out with updated parts), or a result of the process involved with taking the forks apart (tapping the forks together to press out the bushings). In my opinion it looked to just be bad parts, but who knows.
Replacing the bushings and seals wasn't a big deal, but finding the parts was a bit of a pain I guess, I feel bad for shelly who ran all over the place tracking down parts, but in the end she got everything in time for motovid. We were able to polish out the scratches for the most part (still slightly visible but you can no longer feel anything with a finger nail).
We also checked the tubes for straightness to see if a bend could have explained the bushing wear or scoring but they looked good with our improvised test stand consisting of a tire balancer and a dial indicator screwed to a 2x4 lol.
Assembly went smoothly... too smoothly infact as I forgot to set the rebound adjuster height before bolting everything back down so I had to get creative correcting that. But once the job was done the difference was immediate. The adjusters actually had meaningful adjustment range and no longer had to be maxed to provide any damping, infact, with them full hard I had trouble even pushing the front end down, setting them closer to the middle provided a nice feel.
Thanks for the beer, hope they work well for you this year