Run For Hungry Children... (My first 5k)... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Run For Hungry Children... (My first 5k)...

Hey, sorry to hit you up out of the blue... but I am planning on running this weekend to raise money for Hungry Children and wanted to reach out to CLSB and see if anyone might be able to sponsor me in this effort. The event is Run For Hungry Children 2011 - Hoffman Estates, IL
http://www.runforhungrychildren.org/

Event is THIS SATURDAY! (most likely in the rain)

I know that this is last minute, but honestly, I wasn't sure if I could actually run 5k. And of course.. now it looks like it will rain... but I'll run anyway if I can raise some money and have a reason to run.

Here is the deal, this is a Request for Donations... $5, $10, $20, ($500!) whatever you can afford to part with to help some hungry kids fill their stomachs. Just a simple click DONATE button at http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraise...hungrychildren page will help feed HUNGRY CHILDREN.

Cool widget, if you want, you can just click DONATE on the Widget if you don't want to see more about the cause:

For those of you that know me, you know that I hate running. Bad right knee, bad right foot... and I am old! I have decided to try and run this summer with the goal of raising money for helping the poor and needy. I can't imagine that I would continue to run after this season, but if I can run a 5k with this knee and bad foot, hopefully you can CLICK, and donate to help some kids avoid going to bed every night with an empty stomach.

So, on with the standard info: Thank you for visiting my fundraising page for Bright Hope and The Run For Hungry Children!
We are so blessed here in America. And yet, 10.9 million children under the age of 5 die each year from hunger-related causes across the world. It is all too common for children around the globe, particularly in Africa, Asia and Latin America to go days on end with desperately hungry stomachs. Bright Hope commits itself to bringing Hope to those living on less than $1 a day. They provide relief to children around the world, leveraging local partners and indigenous organizations through which aid can be provided.
Please help me help them. You can make a huge difference in the lives of orphans and vulnerable children.
Donating through this website is simple, fast and completely secure. It is also the most efficient way to support my fundraising efforts.
Thank you for your support -- and don't forget to forward this to anyone who you think might want to join this wonderful cause and/or donate too!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think that this is the first time I have ever asked for a sponsor. In this case, it is for a GREAT cause.

Thanks to anyone that can chip in. Please feel free to share this with anyone that has a heart for Hungry Children throughout the world.

Also, please pray for the rain to hold off, I am running either way.

Best,

Brian

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Last edited by Wink; 05-11-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Done!

I've got to work or I'd be out to support you.

Good luck!

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Well, this was my first 5k, and I ran one minute slower than my daughter Jessica did in her first 5k. Ran 10:28 average this morning, target was 11, so I am happy with that for my first race ever. Slow, I know, but that is fast for me. 44 degrees, drizzly rain and 25 knot winds. I ran for only one reason, to raise the money for the kids. (I still hate running)

Thanks to those of you that supported me in the run, your donations were right above $550 and will go directly to supporting Hungry Kids through Bright Hope. Thanks again for your support!

I was surprised that this thread had 90 views, but only three donations from CLSB people, and only ONE post.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Good work, and for a great cause. And don't be so surprised.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Slow Old Guy.

Thanks, and I suppose I SHOULD be more cynical, getting there...

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode