Property tax appeal in DuPage county? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
philosopher and mechanic

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6, Fast Blue
Years Riding: 1.5 years
How you found us: Moparboyy

Property tax appeal in DuPage county?

Folks,

Has anyone here initiated a property tax appeal in Dupage county? If so, what is the process, what did you have to do, etc?

Of course, they used some enron-esque magical equation to raise my property taxes - even though the value of my home has been consistently going down for the past 3 years.

Grrr...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

In brief...it's too late to appeal once you have the bill. I believe you have 30 days from once they are first published (usuallyy July) to initiate an appeal. There are several stages of appeal and I went through 2 only to knock $800 off and then the county assessor knocked it back up for a net of $400 something less than last years.

Start reading up as each county is a little bit different but speaking from experience unless there is a data error dont expect more than a 5% change. All those pensions arent going to fund themselves.

http://www.co.dupage.il.us/Treasurer/1847/
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Kawasaki Concours14 ABS
Years Riding: 2 years
How you found us: Julian

Send a message via AIM to HndaTch627
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosopheriam View Post
Folks,

Has anyone here initiated a property tax appeal in Dupage county? If so, what is the process, what did you have to do, etc?

Of course, they used some enron-esque magical equation to raise my property taxes - even though the value of my home has been consistently going down for the past 3 years.

Grrr...
I'm considering hiring an attorney, the formula they used to asses my house is laughable at best. They "claim" to use fair market value, they assessed my house at 205k. The most recent sale in my neighborhood was back in late Oct/Early Nov and it was the same unit as mine which sold for $168k, since then 3 more have gone into foreclosure and the housing prices just continue to slide. If you decide to hire and attorney or know of a decent real estate attorney i know that myself and my neighbor would be very interested.

Jeremy
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

Kruz is right. The township assessor is the person who sets the value. He/she can be contacted and explain it. They make mistakes, but remember values in IL are based a three year average and are 12 months behind. So a home sold today will only have 33% effect on your 2012 taxes (paid 6/1/2013). Your current assessment would use the the values for 2007, 2008, and 2009.

In IL attorneys actually have a much lower success rate than individuals on non-commercial properties. I recommend talking to your township assessor:

http://www.co.dupage.il.us/SOA/1488/

btw, blame the schools for the high taxes. Most of your property taxes goes straight to their pensions. Home values matter much less than the levies.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Blame the schools... Amen. They'll fuck you coming and going when it comes to taxes. If you are not involved in any way with your local school board, you are just opening up your wallet for the taking.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudes13 View Post
Kruz is right. The township assessor is the person who sets the value. He/she can be contacted and explain it. They make mistakes, but remember values in IL are based a three year average and are 12 months behind. So a home sold today will only have 33% effect on your 2012 taxes (paid 6/1/2013). Your current assessment would use the the values for 2007, 2008, and 2009.

In IL attorneys actually have a much lower success rate than individuals on non-commercial properties. I recommend talking to your township assessor:

http://www.co.dupage.il.us/SOA/1488/

btw, blame the schools for the high taxes. Most of your property taxes goes straight to their pensions. Home values matter much less than the levies.
Seems like now is a good time to bump this thread as we are in the 30 day assessment appeal window for Dupage. Why would you say attorneys have a lower success rate than individuals? I have the paperwork to appeal from the assessor's site but I wonder if a professional filling it out would be better at hitting on the right points.

Chris
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:00 AM

Has the assessor raised your value given your improvements? I assume they have especially if you had permits.

I think what Allen is saying is if they see you lawyering up and taking an impersonal approach they may not respond well. On the initial appeal, it has been my experience that your assessor wants to help you.

The second appeal was more formal but still easy to fill out and the clerk at the county building had the typical county employee attitude but still it was an easy process.

I was just reading somewhere that appeals were way down this year despite home values falling more than last year where record appeals were set. My guess is folks are getting complacent again or just plain overwhelmed with values dropping and are just giving up.

Do you have a lawyer soliciting you? I cant imagine they would work for less than $150. Knowing your taxbill wont likely decrease by more than a grand does it really make sense to waste money on a lawyer?
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Any improvements are except for 4 years, and I did get permits. I'd argue that they were not improvements just maintenance of aging/failing materials.

Assessments are down 5.5% in our area across the board, I think there is still room to push for a lower assessment. I've contracted with an outside company to do my appeal, I pay half of the tax savings of the first year to him. If no savings are had, no money is paid to him. No work for me, nothing to lose.

Chris
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
^^Who are you using Chris? No work for me makes things much easier/more appealing.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

I appealed mine in cook county. My property taxes have been lowered around $1,500 over the past two years. I only had to visit the county office twice to get this done and I did not use a lawyer. It took less than an hour of my time. I did not argue uniform assessment or that their description of the property was incorrect. I had an appraisal from a recent refi and I argued that the assessment needed to be changed based on the appraisal. I had my assesment lowered a little over 15% and then they lowered it another 18% the following year (the 3 year assessment period was up) on their own.

Based on what a comparable house on my street just sold for, they have me at the right value now.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Maintenance?

I would recommend trying on your own first...it's a 5 minute call to your assessor and 30 mins of researching comparables.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
Maintenance?

I would recommend trying on your own first...it's a 5 minute call to your assessor and 30 mins of researching comparables.
I've already talked to the assessor. I'll need to fill out the forms and I'll need to go to the review board with my sales comparisons, all the sales used for comparison must be from 08/09/10. I was on the phone for over an hour and was directed to 2 different county offices before they directed me BACK to my township assessor. I'm tired of this crap.

My roof was leaking, my siding was leaking, and my windows were shit! Maintenance items!

cook county appeals are different and require an appraisal, DuPage does not though i wish it were that easy as I just had it appraised and it's WAY below what they think.

Chris
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
I've contracted with an outside company to do my appeal, I pay half of the tax savings of the first year to him. If no savings are had, no money is paid to him. No work for me, nothing to lose.
This is what we did and do not regret it. They did two appeals for us, both succesful.

Greg

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Lazy DuPagians.

Appealing your prop tax should have been the second thing you did after you signed the purchase contract. I wonder how it will go if/when they come by for a review.

Id hate to see your taxes go up $3k...if that happens does the lawyer pay you?
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
This is what we did and do not regret it. They did two appeals for us, both succesful.
2 separate times? There have been recent sales in 2011 near me that are low enough that I think another appeal this time next year would be a good idea but I'll wait to see how this goes first.

Kruz, I'm currently in the 30 day window where I can appeal my assessment. No other time can I can contest or appeal this including when i bought the house. I was able to get the township assessor to give me the residential exemption for the year despite the fact that we bought in March(you have to be in it on Jan 1st to get the exemption). They don't come by the property to do anything, appeals are done through either comparable sales or tax uniformity.

Chris

Last edited by Vcook; 12-01-2011 at 01:30 PM.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Hmmm....things seem a bit outdated back east.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

That's the breaks for not living in the boonies!

Chris
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Kane does aerial map searches and property walkarounds on the second appeal.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
You got the talkin' done

Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!

Quote:
cook county appeals are different and require an appraisal
Based on my experience, they don't require an appraisal. That is just one way to appeal.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di

Quote:
2 separate times? There have been recent sales in 2011 near me that are low enough that I think another appeal this time next year would be a good idea but I'll wait to see how this goes first.

Yes. Let me clarify this is on cook county, but I felt like commenting on using attorneys to save yourself the effort.

We won the first request and we got our taxes lowered by a decent amount. Six months later, we got a letter from the attorneys that it might be worth trying again, so we did.

I was kind of iffy on using attorneys and paying them based on the savings, but I made print outs from cook county assessor and treasurer websites of the original assessment and taxes and verified at each phase of the appeal before writing a check. I am sure we could have done it ourselves, but we have enough on our minds and todo lists.

Greg

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Based on my experience, they don't require an appraisal. That is just one way to appeal.
This!

Greg

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Oh I see, I wish that was an appeal option for me

Chris
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 PM
You got the talkin' done

On the cook county site, you can use your pin to see your property and all the details. Then you can use the same site to view everyone around you to check uniformity. You have to keep in mind, that depending on when the owner purchased can make a big difference in the amount of taxes they pay. Remember, we used to have that 7% cap in place. If you want recent closings, your realtor can easily provide you with that list.

They don't have a similar site for DuPage?

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Recent closings? What the hell is that?

<---I wish it were actually funny

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
You got the talkin' done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerk View Post
Recent closings? What the hell is that?

<---I wish it were actually funny
Pending sales don't count. Only sales that closed.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
On the cook county site, you can use your pin to see your property and all the details. Then you can use the same site to view everyone around you to check uniformity. You have to keep in mind, that depending on when the owner purchased can make a big difference in the amount of taxes they pay. Remember, we used to have that 7% cap in place. If you want recent closings, your realtor can easily provide you with that list.

They don't have a similar site for DuPage?
yes, but it's actually by township, milton in my case. In any event I've already made preparations to have someone else do my legwork.

Chris
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Dont you dare back away from this thread....
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not backing away, I've just already made arrangements.

Chris
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Keep us posted!
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

I've yet to attempt this. Chris, will your guy work a Lombard appeal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode