school bs.... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
school bs....

So yesterday was Abi's 4th grade picnic. I signed up to be a parent helper. I know I've posted a few times about the stupid rules at our school, and in our district, but yesterday really just sent me over the edge. We walked almost 2 miles to a park, and the kids played, had a picnic lunch and then played some more before walking back to school. They sent home a note that they kids couldn't have open toed shoes, hats, or toys for this "field trip" They asked that we dress them for the sun, and weather. They were allowed to bring a water bottle, just no glass.

So I get Abi ready and make sure she has on SPF sunscreen, and I packed several bottles of Gatorade to keep both of us hydrated until water is served at lunch. I see several kids with nothing to drink, so I call my mom and have her bring up bag of bottled water to give them. I also had her bring my sunscreen as Abi and I are both sweating and being fair skinned we needed to be protected. I offered it to the teacher as I saw several kids getting quite red. This is what pissed me off, she told me she couldn't let them put sunscreen on. Since it has a "drug label" they would have to have a doctors note to have it at school. They couldn't bring it themselves, and she couldn't give it to them. We had to watch these kids blister, and couldn't do a damn thing about it. I hate that the school has to worry that parents would sue over them protecting their kids. Kids have to have a form filled out to have cough drops in class now. Last year we were allowed to send in Halls fruit breezers, not this year, as Halls changed their label and they are not considered medicine, even though the package says "pectin confection", that stupid drug label makes all the difference in the world. So I asked the teacher why she didn't remind parents to apply sunscreen in the reminder notice she sent home on Thursday, and she told me that would be considered "medical advice" and if a child came home with a sunburn anyway, or if they had a reaction to the sunscreen they could sue the school. And if she was caught giving a child sunscreen, or allowing me to give them sunscreen she could lose her job and teaching license. That is just crazy in my opinion. I came home so angry yesterday, it's a sad day when we trust these people to educate our child for 6 hours a day, but can't trust them to dispense a cough drop or sunscreen. I hate that sue happy people have killed our education system, and taken away the teachers ability to protect our children. We also weren't allowed to have any water activities like water balloons, or squirt guns/toys due to the fact that a child broke their arm at field day last year because he wasn't listening to the teacher and was running in the wet grass on the way back to the building and fell. So now water games and activities are banned too. His parents didn't sue, but because they could have the rules changed.

I just had to rant, and I knew that others here would under stand my frustrations.

I don't ride, I cook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Even if the parents applied sunscreen at say 8:30 right before they got on the bus, our trip was from 10-2, they would have needed to re-apply it at least once during that time.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Sad to say, but welcome to public schools, where the kids are the LAST priority. It's all about protecting the teacher's union, protecting the district from a lawsuit, making sure insider contract work gets doled out to the right 'friend' companies, ensuring that someone charged and who took the job to educate the kids doesn't have to work 'too hard' at their job, and use any EXCUSE under the sun to keep from doing the RIGHT THING in life when it comes to kids.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

I put a tube of sunscreen on a bench, and loudly said I'm leaving my stuff here and taking a group up the pavillion to get water. When I came back it was almost empty. They can stop me from giving it to the kids, but they can't stop them from picking it up and using it themselves. Abi said some of the kids thanked her for her mom being so nice when they got back to the classroom. I couldn't watch kids burn and dehydrate and not do something. I'm sorry but I have a heart and I'm human. Her teacher said it gets worse and worse each year.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedqt78 View Post
I put a tube of sunscreen on a bench, and loudly said I'm leaving my stuff here and taking a group up the pavillion to get water. When I came back it was almost empty. They can stop me from giving it to the kids, but they can't stop them from picking it up and using it themselves. Abi said some of the kids thanked her for her mom being so nice when they got back to the classroom. I couldn't watch kids burn and dehydrate and not do something. I'm sorry but I have a heart and I'm human. Her teacher said it gets worse and worse each year.
It does, worse and worse each year. After Monday, I'll have 2 kids out of the system and 2 kids still in it. We taught ours to go do whatever 'medical' things you have to do (sunscreen, take a tylenol, cough drop, snack, whatever) in the privacy of a bathroom stall. That way, if someone 'catches' you doing this, they can be threatened with the interesting question of "Why were you peeking in on a kid in a bathroom stall?" CYA goes both ways

And yes.. Damn good for you for doing the right thing.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
It does, worse and worse each year. After Monday, I'll have 2 kids out of the system and 2 kids still in it. We taught ours to go do whatever 'medical' things you have to do (sunscreen, take a tylenol, cough drop, snack, whatever) in the privacy of a bathroom stall. That way, if someone 'catches' you doing this, they can be threatened with the interesting question of "Why were you peeking in on a kid in a bathroom stall?" CYA goes both ways

And yes.. Damn good for you for doing the right thing.
Problem with that is Abi is still only in 4th grade, and her backpack is hanging on a hook in the back of a room. They can't have purses, and the backpack has to stay hanging, so meds in the bathroom won't work. The schools reply about Abi needing a cough drop sometimes at school? Send some peppermints. Screw that I took her to the doctor and had him fill out the forms, she is now allowed tylenol, cough drops, and over the counter allergy meds as needed for the entire year. Her doctor rocks like that. She also carries a "bleeding kit" with her everywhere she goes at school so they have to let her carry a small bag. She picked a cute mini-messenger bag and covered it in cool punk pins, and patches. It has her bleeding kit, hard candy and a pack of halls in it. The kids think she is cool for already having a purse, and she is learning to be more self-reliant. Just sucks that we had to waste the doctors time on stupid forms. Oh and I kept her home from school that day, she had to see a doctor. When they asked me why I kept her home all day, I responded that she would only get half credit for going in late, and since they needed the forms so bad, she could miss a day of school for them, and they could miss a day of $$ for her being there.

They also called me to pick her up once saying she had a fever, when I got her home, 15 mins after the nurse called me she was 98.1. I kept her home the next day, as the district policy is 24 hours fever free before they can return to school. I didn't call her in the next day, when they called me I said I kept her home, she had to be picked up due to fever yesterday, remember? I'm following your rules. The attendance woman's response was " well is she sick? what should I put down for her reason for being absent?" I said incompetence on your school nurses part. She is fine today, just like she was fine yesterday. We are going to the movies today. She tried to tell me that I needed to bring her to school, and I reminded her that she had a fever high enough to send her home and the rule was 24 hours with no fever. She said fine and hung up on me. The nurse no longer plays those games with us. She tried it one other time over an ear ache, telling me Abi had a nasty ear infection, that she looked and it was red, swollen, and there was a bunch of fluid in her ear drum. That's not possible Abi has tubes in both ears. I took her to the doctor because I worried that one of her tubes might be infected. There was NOTHING wrong with her. I called the office and told the principle that the next time the nurse did an exam on my child and called me with a diagnosis, that I wanted her fired. She is there to take care of kids until mom or dad can pick them up, not treat them like patients and diag sickness. She has no clue what she is doing, Abi had to take care of herself when she was bleeding from her eyes last year, because the nurse was freaking out. Abi had to calm her down so that she could call me to come get her, pretty sad huh?

I don't ride, I cook!

Last edited by Piercedqt78; 06-05-2011 at 12:55 AM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:52 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
It does, worse and worse each year. After Monday, I'll have 2 kids out of the system and 2 kids still in it.
Arch is a Mexican?

Quote:
We taught ours to go do whatever 'medical' things you have to do (sunscreen, take a tylenol, cough drop, snack, whatever) in the privacy of a bathroom stall. That way, if someone 'catches' you doing this, they can be threatened with the interesting question of "Why were you peeking in on a kid in a bathroom stall?" CYA goes both ways
even when I was a kid, medicine needed a note. I kept whatever I had to take in my pocket and didn't tell anyone since I knew it was a huge issue.

And something that popped in my head since you said it. When I went to school, all the bathroom stalls had no doors. Are they allowed to do that now?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
And something that popped in my head since you said it. When I went to school, all the bathroom stalls had no doors. Are they allowed to do that now?
What kind of perv school did you go to? All the stalls have doors at Abi's school.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedqt78 View Post
What kind of perv school did you go to? All the stalls have doors at Abi's school.
I believe the girls do have stalls, but not for boys. I know it was something they did to see if people were smoking in the bathrooms.

not that it stopped people from smoking in high school anyway. I know my grade school didn't have any doors, and high school. I can't remember if junior high did or not.

This is something they did in the 70s. So i'm sure recently built schools left them on?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Irony helps us play!

The trick at the schools we saw in the past few years is "Let's come up with any excuse to get the kids to have to go home (make mom or dad pick them up) after they 'count' for attendance so we don't have to deal with them."

Pathetic.

... no shit on the perv school... explains a lot.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
The trick at the schools we saw in the past few years is "Let's come up with any excuse to get the kids to have to go home (make mom or dad pick them up) after they 'count' for attendance so we don't have to deal with them."

talking about actual school teachers? one less student, less work?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 AM

guess i'm not the only one and this is a chick

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
talking about actual school teachers? one less student, less work?
teachers, aides, support staff, etc. Across the board.

What stuff have you seen with your kids in the system?

Everyone Exaggerates

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:

What stuff have you seen with your kids in the system?

don't have kids. not sure if i want them because of all the BS. I did have a relationship with a person had a kid, but thats it. But that gets you no place because they don't want you to parent their kid, but its okay to babysit them.

just curious on how the school system is going downhill.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Irony helps us play!

dumbing down of the curriculum, year after year - demanding more compensation for less actual teaching and school boards and administrations that are all 'on board' with that... back room social-economical engineering experiments and the kids actually learning anything goes right out the window.

Very sad to see, especially because there are still some really kick ass teachers left in the system that went into the profession for the right reasons (to teach the kids). When you encounter them, treat them like gold, because they are--- but they are becoming the minority.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Abi's school has a bathroom in each classroom for K-2nd grade. And then there are hall bathrooms for the 3rd-5th graders. They have stalls with doors.

Arch, Abi's school dismisses at 3:05, if we pick her up before 2:45 she is only counted for a half day. They actually send a note home at the beginning of school requesting that we try to make appointments for after school, since it counts against them, but then they call for every stomach ache, head ache, and scraped knee. Abi gets headaches from her medication, and she has tylenol and motrin at school for them, but the nurse still calls to ask what I want her to do. Give her the damn tylenol dumbass, that's why I have it there. It's in her records. If she comes in with a nose bleed they are supposed to soak a cotton ball in affrin, cut it in half and hand it to her, she then packs one piece in each nostril and then they are to set a timer for 5 mins, change the cotton and allow it to sit another 5 minutes. If the bleeding stops send her back to class, if not give her a does of the prescription medication and call me. Last time they called she had been in the office 15 mins, and the nurse says "ice and pressure isn't helping, maybe take her home and do the affrin?" I swear I could strangle this woman most days. I just went and picked her up, had the bleeding stopped before we left the office, she was like why not let her go back to class, I said no, I'm taking her home. If you can't do what is written on multiple forms, in very simple english, and Abi is also telling you what needs to be happening and you ignore her, she can just come home. I got Abi put on a 504 plan for other health issues, for this very reason. And they still don't follow her health plan. I'm glad we are leaving this district. I just hope the FL schools are better. I know class sizes are much smaller, and there are zero fees to register or for books etc. We only pay for lunchs, and fieldtrips. I was stunned since we have to pay here, for everything and our taxes are 4 times higher here. I know I had to fight for the 504 here, and they told me at the district office in Florida just to bring in her current write up and it would be put in place from day one there. That's one less battle to fight there.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
Very sad to see, especially because there are still some really kick ass teachers left in the system that went into the profession for the right reasons (to teach the kids). When you encounter them, treat them like gold, because they are--- but they are becoming the minority.
well said.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:

so what aids and support staff is there now? The only aids we had was for science classes since it needed an extra person to help with experiments.

i don't see why, unless naperville has over crowded classrooms, or am i missing something.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Irony helps us play!

The grass isn't always completely greener - but I recall Broward county (where I went, and have former co-workers who are currently teachers and admin there that I keep in touch with) being much more straight forward on such things. I know that's S. Fla compared to NE FL.. but you've touched on the biggest difference right there... Down there, they know their job is to serve YOU; the parent and student... Here in IL, it's as though YOU (parent and child) are a burden and most of them project that attitude loud and clear.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
so what aids and support staff is there now? The only aids we had was for science classes since it needed an extra person to help with experiments.

i don't see why, unless naperville has over crowded classrooms, or am i missing something.
people who 'help' kids in the classrooms who have IEPs, etc.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:

I know some of my peers went into teaching. and maybe 50% of them shouldn't.

you get some women that are the "oh its like being a mom and i get to play with kids all day" And you can tell from their personality, they can't teach for shit.

Not all kids learn the same and not at the same speed. A good teacher does several examples and shows it in different ways to get everyone to understand.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
cornfields are boring

Sportbike: 96 zx-6r
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: www.sportbikes.net

My wife was going to teach in the public schools, she was almost done with her certificate and in the job shadowing part of it. She walked away from it with less than a semester left because she couldn't stand it. She'll be done with her MS in the fall and begin working on her Ph.D so she can teach at the college level and enjoy her job. She told me some stories and it really is just disgusting. Minority kids accusing the teacher of being racist and making a big scene in the middle of class. Passing kids who should not be passed just to make adequate yearly progress so the school doesn't get red flagged because of no child left behind. It's insane what it's coming to.

Baseballdz (5:14:48 PM): i went to take a piss at about midnight and all i hear is bed springs going nuts and teresa squeeling like a fucking pig
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red96 View Post
Passing kids who should not be passed just to make adequate yearly progress so the school doesn't get red flagged because of no child left behind. It's insane what it's coming to.

When Abi was in Kindergarten she missed a ton of school due to medical issues. I asked that she repeat kindergarten. She just makes the cutoff, so she is one of the youngest kids in her class anyway. She could have started school a year later. I was told that NOONE ever fails/gets held back in our District. Sad huh? A friend has a son that was behind on credits to graduate, when I talked to him in Dec. we just saw them out to eat fri night, and he is graduating as I type this. He failed several classes and didn't have enough credits, but the let him "make up" those classes. He managed to do his regular class load, and make up 4 classes in the last 5 months. I know this kid, he's not a good student, or a hard worker, I'm sure it was a no child left behind deal with him.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2007 SV1000S

Quote:
I believe the girls do have stalls, but not for boys. I know it was something they did to see if people were smoking in the bathrooms.

not that it stopped people from smoking in high school anyway. I know my grade school didn't have any doors, and high school. I can't remember if junior high did or not.

This is something they did in the 70s. So i'm sure recently built schools left them on?
I graduated from Naperville Central in 2007 and there were a couple guys bathrooms that never had doors on the stalls. Pretty sure the reasoning was to prevent smoking too.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Wouldn't you be able to smell smoke if someone was smoking in a bathroom in a smoke free building? It just seems like smoke detectors, would have been better than no doors.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
How you found us: Crazeinc

There is a lot wrong with schools nowadays, however this isn't one of them. You're saying kids should be able to carry and consume any type of medicine they want? I sure as hell don't. Yes, I realize sunscreen doesn't compare to let say pain killers, however blame companies, or agencies enforcing them to put a "medicine" label on them.

In the meantime, parents need to parent. Take them to a doc and get them a note.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
There is a lot wrong with schools nowadays, however this isn't one of them. You're saying kids should be able to carry and consume any type of medicine they want? I sure as hell don't. Yes, I realize sunscreen doesn't compare to let say pain killers, however blame companies, or agencies enforcing them to put a "medicine" label on them.

In the meantime, parents need to parent. Take them to a doc and get them a note.
Parents should have final say on what a kid can take at school. The proper solution is for everyone to go see their pediatrician and pay a co-pay and get a note for sunscreen? Hmm, class of 20 all going to the doc for a non-routine yearly health visit (therefore, it's not covered completely) and need a $40 copay for the note. Approx $800 in expenditures not to mention time and booking the appointment at the pediatrician, gas to and from, etc. Brilliant.

What is wrong with schools is the LACK OF COMMON SENSE.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:35 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

i went to school in italy for a year in the 90's and teachers would smack the fuck out of u at their digression. and if you laughed at the poor bastard u were fucking next lol. they would also smoke in the classroom. field trips for us was going outside and pulling weeds and no there was no fucking sunscreen or "notes" lmao.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:52 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Parents should have final say on what a kid can take at school. The proper solution is for everyone to go see their pediatrician and pay a co-pay and get a note for sunscreen? Hmm, class of 20 all going to the doc for a non-routine yearly health visit (therefore, it's not covered completely) and need a $40 copay for the note. Approx $800 in expenditures not to mention time and booking the appointment at the pediatrician, gas to and from, etc. Brilliant.

What is wrong with schools is the LACK OF COMMON SENSE.
So one time you go to a doctor, and have the doc write up a note that covers all the drugs you trust your kid with. It's not like the notes expire.

Though I do agree with you, parents note should be sufficient.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
So one time you go to a doctor, and have the doc write up a note that covers all the drugs you trust your kid with. It's not like the notes expire.

Though I do agree with you, parents note should be sufficient.
Name a doctor that does this and a school that accepts this.

Everyone Exaggerates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode