I want an Airplane... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

I want an Airplane...

I flew for the first time in a small aircraft, and it was awesome...

Instead of driving from Kansas City to Wichita, my boss decided to have us fly - in his Cirrus SR22.

GAWD THAT THING IS AWESOME!

soooo awesome, I just kept saying that over and over again. So how much would it cost to get a pilots license?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
talk to triplez... its a lot of fucking money

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 PM
WEEE

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: O.o
How you found us: was my cracker jack prize :(

Send a message via AIM to DiamondBenz Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondBenz Send a message via Skype™ to DiamondBenz
private is about 15K - 20K. and if i remember correctly commercial is like 40K more on top of the private license.

last summer it was about $300 for an hour flight lesson for me. who knows this summer with gas price
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

A close friend got his VFR after joiming a club and using the club plane (a Cessna 150).
His biggest expense was paying the instructor and his biggest hassle was finding an instructor that would take him up at odd hours when the plane was available. It was still not cheap but he saved over what a flight school cost...It DID tie up ALL of his free time for several months though. I don't think he rode with us once that Summer.
You have to figure about 40 hours before you qualify for the license and that doesn't include ground school.
You gotta really want it AND then you have to log enough hours to keep current and maintain your license.
Good Luck.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
WEEE

Send a message via AIM to DiamondBenz Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondBenz Send a message via Skype™ to DiamondBenz
yeah you can test at 40 hours flight time but very few are ready by that time. most get tested at 60 hours
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

I think a single engine plane is a good place to start ... but I want a Mig 29
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
WEEE

yeah the Diamond DA20 i fly kinda looks like that just put some imagination to it
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

hahahahaha not quite, so I was at the assembly facility of the Cessna Skycatcher today ... pretty sweet for 115k
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Buy my bi-plane. Pitts S2A.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

thinking about going back into flying

and those doing commercial, how tuff is it to get into airlines?
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:23 AM
underpaid pilot

Sportbike: 2001 Honda F4i track bike, 2007 Harley VRSCDX
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: Evil monkey made me do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
thinking about going back into flying

and those doing commercial, how tuff is it to get into airlines?
It is a long hard road to get to the airlines. First you will spend about 60k-80k to get all of your ratings. Then to build time you will flight instruct for a while making maybe 10k a year. With the new laws about to go into effect you will need 1500hours to fly for an airline. So after 2 years of making crap money as a flight instructor, and having students trying to kill you every day you might get an airline job. I say might because you will need a 4 year degree, but also the airlines are very cyclical. So if your timing is not right you will end up sitting as a flight instructor for years.

Now maybe you just landed a job as a first officer at a regional airline! That first you you will only make about 25k. Plus you will get to work every weekend and every holiday, and your average work day will be 14 hours. Then after about 5 to 7 years you might make 60k a year, but that's only after the airline management has sucked the life out of you.

An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Dave
NESBA #3.14159 1/4
2001 Honda F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post

Man that dude has a nice rack though....
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll View Post
Buy my bi-plane. Pitts S2A.
Chuck you have a Pitts! Love those little bastards.

Is it really $15-$20k for a base license? Man it was about $4k to do it when I was starting up, but that was like 15 years ago.

The trick is to establish a relationship with your regional airport, get to know the guys there and they will generally cut you deals. Sometimes you can work odd jobs around the airport for cheaper rental rates on the training planes, and sometimes the instructors will even donate their time!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM
underpaid pilot

Sportbike: 2001 Honda F4i track bike, 2007 Harley VRSCDX
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: Evil monkey made me do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerk View Post
Chuck you have a Pitts! Love those little bastards.

Is it really $15-$20k for a base license? Man it was about $4k to do it when I was starting up, but that was like 15 years ago.

The trick is to establish a relationship with your regional airport, get to know the guys there and they will generally cut you deals. Sometimes you can work odd jobs around the airport for cheaper rental rates on the training planes, and sometimes the instructors will even donate their time!
More like 10k

An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Dave
NESBA #3.14159 1/4
2001 Honda F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post

Man that dude has a nice rack though....
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/acc...liminary_data/

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
I've always wanted to work towards getting a pilot's license just because I've always wanted to be a recreational flier, definitely don't want to make it my full time job. I might have to look into this in the next couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Rex Banner

Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me

I flew all Cessna aircraft at school..... 152, 172, 172RG, 182RG, 310. It was pretty fun, the worst part is getting the actual certs because it can be pretty stressful.... like an interview in an office, then an interview in the sky. lol I'm technically certified, not current, all the way up to Instrument Commercial MEL, but never made it into the industry with the market falling apart after 9/11. Picked a shitty time to try and be a pilot. lol

Flying privately costs a ton of cash. The investment of the aircraft isn't that much compared to insurance premiums, maintenance, and having somewhere to keep it year round.

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh

Last edited by Flying_Hellfish; 06-16-2011 at 09:23 AM.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 AM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: Its my first time ;)
How you found us: Leghumpers Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondBenz View Post
yeah the Diamond DA20 i fly kinda looks like that just put some imagination to it
how do you see over the steering wheel?

WERA · CCS · EX #169
I would like to thank the 2014 sponsors...
Riders Discount · AllBalls Racing · Woodcraft · VinylSaurusRex · Pit Bull · Chicken Hawk Racing
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
how do you see over the steering wheel?
thats simple... planes dont have a steering wheel...

they have a yoke

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM
The Champ

Sportbike: 2007 CBR600RR
Years Riding: Round 5
How you found us: Its a series of tubes, one brought me here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post

Instead of driving from Kansas City to Wichita, my boss decided to have us fly - in his Cirrus SR22.

soooo awesome, I just kept saying that over and over again. So how much would it cost to get a pilots license?
I looked into it a few months ago and it was over 15k! You have to get certified for EVERYTHING! Still seems like a blast so I'll probably take some of the intro classes just for the hell of it!

I don't drag knee biotch

---------------------------
07 CBR600RR
95 240SX
00 Q45

Nissan Love
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Sportbike: honda nighthawk
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Kevin Hanson

Quote:

7 years ago, my 8 year old son was obsessed with flying. I bought him an intro lesson for about $175 for his birthday. He studied and saved...ect and went on about 4 instructional flights before turning into a teenager and getting into other things....girls, music....

Getting a recreational license is really pretty affordable if it is a priority for you and you stretch it out enough. They even have new classes of very light aircraft that take even less time to train to be licensed to fly.

The thing I found out though was that flying small aircraft's cost a lot in gas and landing fees. They also don't save much time over driving because you have to stop and re-fuel and the planes don't go very fast. When you arrive, you usually have to rent a car. Just my two cents from someone who felt like you at one point until I talked myself out of it.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondBenz View Post
private is about 15K - 20K. and if i remember correctly commercial is like 40K more on top of the private license.

last summer it was about $300 for an hour flight lesson for me. who knows this summer with gas price
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
talk to triplez... its a lot of fucking money
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Crowley View Post
More like 10k
I just finished my Private license about a month ago. The private gives you the ability to fly a type rated aircraft (Im signed off for a tricycle gear single engine land), and basically fly into ANYWHERE at anytime. Day, night, Madison Class C, Chicago Class B, etc. Carry passengers. The sport license or LSA limit you to under a certain HP range and you can only carry 1 person besides yourself, and you're restricted from certain airspace.

The private license is a great starting point. You can get signed off for high performance (200HP and above) with a few hours from a CFI (standard instructor). Same with float planes, complex (retractable gear / constant speed prop), tail dragger, multi-engine.

There are some restrictions, you can only fly VFR (visual flight rules). 3 miles visibility, 2000ft horizantal, 500ft below, and 1000ft above clouds (for most airspace) You can fly on overcast days, windy, ect.... but there are ceiling limitations (to be able to fly over objects and stay under the clouds). But your not a fair weather (bright sunny day) pilot. IFR rating (fly in the clouds) is another FAA rating, so training plus a check ride. So is commercial (fly for money).

Now to cost. I finished my license in 10 months, 3 instructors, 58hrs, for about $8500 (my tracking sheets at home, I can give a better number later), flying on average 1 time per week. Includes study material, a Bose headset, back-up radio, flight bag, flight planning software, etc.

There were a few cheeseburger runs that didn't need to happen. And with my primary instructor leaving towards the end, it ended up costing me about 10hrs of fly time transitioning. Average time to completion is 50hrs. Minimum is 40hrs.

Once you get your license, the only currency you have to maintain is 3 landings every 3 months to carry passengers, then every 2 years a check ride with a CFI. The PP license DOES NOT EXPIRE, but you have to stay current. You also need a medical every 5 years. They recommend flying about 4 hours a month to not forget things.

The Cessna 172 I rent is $88 an hour Wet (don't pay for fuel) and $30 and hour for the instructor. I would recommend having $4000 in the bank designated for finishing the license, but try to pay for the lessons out of your spending cash every month. Towards the end, you'll want to fly 2-4 times a week right before the check ride. The longer you stretch training out, the more it will cost, since you need to relearn things every lesson.

I put about $400 aside every month to fly friends and people around to stay current.

All that said, I HIGHLY recommend getting your license. Even if you don't know what you're going to do with it. Its very challenging (learning to land in a crosswind is a bitch), but the reward is great. And it sticks with you for life.

Last edited by TripleZ; 06-16-2011 at 11:07 AM.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Yes. Any one of you rich guys interested?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pitts N31453_oshkosh_2005-07-25_mon_0048_800x600.jpg (250.3 KB, 56 views)

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Sportbike: 2006 Kawi ZX6R 636
Years Riding: a few seasons
How you found us: mac11

FLY like a G6!! lol

http://youtu.be/w4s6H4ku6ZY

no but serioiusly, learning how 2 fly would be pretty bad ass. when i went to mount carmel HS, i had a few teachers who flew n owned they're own planes. 1 had his parked, docked, whatever planes do lol at the lynwood/lansing air field. he would always tell us stories about flying. and he always took his best student on a plane ride. needless 2 say, it wasnt me lol i was up there but not number 1
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Long runway? We don't need no stinking lengthy runway!!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:
I really want a Pitts.

What I can afford is a Cessna 150.

Might get a Citabria if a good one comes around. A Cessna 195 for traveling..... oooo or a Beaver.

Yeah so many pretty airplanes.

Oh yeah, and almost EVERY FBO will have intro flights for around $100. Shorter flight (30min) at Fond du Lac, plus some ground time with the instructor is $85. Longer flight (busy airport, Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago) where 30 minutes isn't practical, you may pay more like $200.

I'd take you, but Ive got a que for people wanting rides. Ill get down to Chicago area later in the summer, as Ive got to take Pilotx1 for a ride. (and give him a new addiction)

Last edited by TripleZ; 06-16-2011 at 12:34 PM.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Crowley View Post
It is a long hard road to get to the airlines. First you will spend about 60k-80k to get all of your ratings. Then to build time you will flight instruct for a while making maybe 10k a year. With the new laws about to go into effect you will need 1500hours to fly for an airline. So after 2 years of making crap money as a flight instructor, and having students trying to kill you every day you might get an airline job. I say might because you will need a 4 year degree, but also the airlines are very cyclical. So if your timing is not right you will end up sitting as a flight instructor for years.

Now maybe you just landed a job as a first officer at a regional airline! That first you you will only make about 25k. Plus you will get to work every weekend and every holiday, and your average work day will be 14 hours. Then after about 5 to 7 years you might make 60k a year, but that's only after the airline management has sucked the life out of you.

so im probably better off getting back in the AF or doing air national guard

or flyz for fun privately

I have to find out where my buddy is at. I know he went to Lewis and was gonna go into the airlines. have to see if hes on facebook.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Quote:

Niiiiiiice.

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

rad! hows life as a pilot??

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Long time, so what was the answer for a pilots license cost?

$200-300 per hour for rental and flight instruction depending on plane and location for a Private Pilot license. Figure 40-60 hours (40 minimum) depending on how much you suck at 3D navigation and spacial awareness.

The more you do it at once, versus one lesson every two months type of crap, usually the cheaper the total price.

So... how much is it, and how many hours did it take those of you that have a license to get PP, or CP, or Multi...

Just curious. Looks and sounds like a ton of fun.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode