Beat a red light ticket? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Sportbike: 2012 ZX-14R, 2012 R1, 2008 Stratoliner
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Saw the ad in 'D-Cups' magazine

Beat a red light ticket?

Can I? I got one, and yep I'm taking a right turn when it says "no turn on red". Period. But I don't give a fuck, if an officer saw me and gave me the ticket, I'd say "oh well" and go to court and plead guilty. But when it's a bullshit revenue-machine camera, I will take whatever legal means necessary to get out of it - well and what is free, of course.

Anyone have any advice or have beaten it before? I saw this online: http://www.ehow.com/how_2299745_beat...on-ticket.html

Legit or crap?

Also, my only angle is that the "red light camera" sign at the intersection is about 50% blocked by tree branches. Couldn't find the prospect heights municipal code (0-07-05/0-07-04) online to check what standards these dirtbag cameras have to live by either.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Another Polak

Sportbike: '05 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: Since '04
How you found us: Friend

Those photos are reviewed by cops and it's there judgment to say violation or not.
I would say you will pay the ticket + court fees.

" Never drive faster, than your guardian angel can fly."

My Garage

PSN: chamala2000

Peter
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM

Sportbike: 05 SV
Years Riding: ...
How you found us: ...

Check out the website on the ticket, most of them have video's. If you're clearly on video turning when its clearly red, you probably wont be able to beat it.

On the plus side, it doesn't count as a moving violation, and doesn't affect your insurance.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
youre boned

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Sportbike: Ninja 250r
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: google

I have beated the red light camera ticket on making a right turn
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
youre boned
Likely.

But i did get a pretty good ticket (by an actual cop) a few years ago, and I decided to show up to court and plead guilty anyway, and they reduced the fines and supervision time by half and cancelled the traffic school, so I'm wondering if showing up will do any good. I did read that the signs must be clearly visible FROM ALL DIRECTIONS and this one isn't, so maybe some chance there? But I can't find Prospect Heights municipal code on the web.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by googs View Post
I have beated the red light camera ticket on making a right turn
OK.....a bit more info would be pretty useful you know.....
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRMAD View Post
Likely.

But i did get a pretty good ticket (by an actual cop) a few years ago, and I decided to show up to court and plead guilty anyway, and they reduced the fines and supervision time by half and cancelled the traffic school, so I'm wondering if showing up will do any good. I did read that the signs must be clearly visible FROM ALL DIRECTIONS and this one isn't, so maybe some chance there? But I can't find Prospect Heights municipal code on the web.
If you decide to go to court, then it will count as a moving violation. If you just pay the fine, then it's more like a parking ticket, and will cost you a lot less. Weigh your pros and cons before you decide to challenge it. If I were you, I'd pay it and be on my way.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

You know what ticks me off?....these things are sold as being safety features by reducing accidents...

But...

The city of Westmont threw the company out of their meeting basically, as the company could not produce evidence that these in fact reduced accidents and made intersections safer. Westmont did not want to raise $ from these "tickets" and from my understanding, the heated one way conversation ended with Westmont telling the company no.

Also, I received a red light ticket recently...and guess where you go to pay it....the cityofchicago.org/revenue. And, the ticket comes from "The Chicago department of revenue". So...safety...or revenue? You be the judge.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets View Post
If you decide to go to court, then it will count as a moving violation. If you just pay the fine, then it's more like a parking ticket, and will cost you a lot less. Weigh your pros and cons before you decide to challenge it. If I were you, I'd pay it and be on my way.
^^ This. Be sure you understand the risks, rewards, and ramifications of either course of action before you make a rash decision.

If you just pay it, your insurance doesn't know about it, you get no points, and it's not a moving violation.

If you fight it and lose, you pay fine, your insurance goes up, and you get points/moving violation.

If you fight and win, then you are golden. But remember, they have pictures, so you will have to prove that "it wasn't me"

Good luck with that.

Craig
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 AM

Sportbike: 2012 ZX-10R
Years Riding: 21
How you found us: Google

All tickets generated by an automated cameras fall under local ordinance violations which is why you pay your fines to the town who had the camera not to "the circuit court clerk". Therefore it stays in a local ordinance status and can not go against driving record (only the clerk of a court can send ticket info to the secretary of state and against your driving record). In fact in the Illinois vehicle code it prohibits the use of cameras except in work zones and even then there has to be an officer in the speed van looking at the video when it happens.
These redlight tickets are reviewed by a private company and they only send our department the "close" ones and those are then reviewed by an officer. You should be able (atleast this is our procedure) to contact someone at the village/police dept. And ask if u can review the tape (like stated above most will have this available online). So if you want to fight the ticket you usually go to the village hall not a court and sit infront of some dude (usually the village attorney, not a judge). If found "guilty" the ticket is the same and can not be changed to a "state" violation that can go against you.
The whole point of these is to make the village money and that's why the ticket stays in house cause on a normal ticket the village only gets a small percent of the fine, rest goes to the state of IL. On these redlight tickets, the company that owns and maintains the cameras (they are not owned by the village) gets a small percentage of each ticket (and a monthly fee the village pays so no matter what the redlight company gets their $$$) and the rest goes to village.
Bottom line is you should be able to view the video and go from there. You may get lucky and the ticket was auto-generated by the company (each village sets up with the camera company their own sets of standards of what is a violation and what is not) and you did not violate the law "that bad" and get the ticket dismissed.
And yes they are all about making easy money for the village and have nothing to do with safety. I have complete over a thousand traffic accident reports in my career (since '91) and I can not remember ONE dealing with a vehicle that turned right on red and caused an accident. I know they happen but it's very rare (now running a red light and failure to yield is a different story). Just my 2cents.

Last edited by Zemp; 09-02-2011 at 03:36 AM.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemp View Post
All tickets generated by an automated cameras fall under local ordinance violations which is why you pay your fines to the town who had the camera not to "the circuit court clerk". Therefore it stays in a local ordinance status and can not go against driving record (only the clerk of a court can send ticket info to the secretary of state and against your driving record). In fact in the Illinois vehicle code it prohibits the use of cameras except in work zones and even then there has to be an officer in the speed van looking at the video when it happens.
These redlight tickets are reviewed by a private company and they only send our department the "close" ones and those are then reviewed by an officer. You should be able (atleast this is our procedure) to contact someone at the village/police dept. And ask if u can review the tape (like stated above most will have this available online). So if you want to fight the ticket you usually go to the village hall not a court and sit infront of some dude (usually the village attorney, not a judge). If found "guilty" the ticket is the same and can not be changed to a "state" violation that can go against you.
The whole point of these is to make the village money and that's why the ticket stays in house cause on a normal ticket the village only gets a small percent of the fine, rest goes to the state of IL. On these redlight tickets, the company that owns and maintains the cameras (they are not owned by the village) gets a small percentage of each ticket (and a monthly fee the village pays so no matter what the redlight company gets their $$$) and the rest goes to village.
Bottom line is you should be able to view the video and go from there. You may get lucky and the ticket was auto-generated by the company (each village sets up with the camera company their own sets of standards of what is a violation and what is not) and you did not violate the law "that bad" and get the ticket dismissed.
And yes they are all about making easy money for the village and have nothing to do with safety. I have complete over a thousand traffic accident reports in my career (since '91) and I can not remember ONE dealing with a vehicle that turned right on red and caused an accident. I know they happen but it's very rare (now running a red light and failure to yield is a different story). Just my 2cents.

i thought that the camera companies were taking a huge chunk of the tickets income

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Sportbike: zx6r
Years Riding: not long enough

[QUOTE=c2000;1966547]Those photos are reviewed by cops and it's there judgment to say violation or not.
QUOTE]

+1

ive never known anyone to have fought one so cant help you there. chances are if you got the tix in the mail, more than likely you're going to have to eat it. but good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by nannho; 09-02-2011 at 08:10 AM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

I suggest checking out http://www.motorists.org/

They are like the AMA, but for general driving issues.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Actually there is some data that suggests that accidents in camera intersections
increase due to rear end collisions with people who slam on the brakes for the
yellow light trying to avoid a ticket.

In addition .... the most relevant thing to the number of citations issued is
the length of the yellow light ..... reduce it a little bit and the violations go
off the CHARTS because people don't expect it to change so fast. Lengthen
it just a little and almost nobody violates .....

It's all about the revenue.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Registered F'n User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets View Post
YIKES! I did not know that, and that would have changed my mind, BUT read Zemp's post above - seems like he knows what he is talking about.

Really, I was clearly guilty and don't deny that. The sign says NO TURN ON RED and I turned on red. But I don't have $100 to piss away, so if there is a way to get out of it for free, I'll take it (if it's legal). And the only thing I found that may help me was what I mentioned in my above post, where it states "The red light camera must be clearly viewable from all angles" and this one is not. Can I get out of it because of this? Maybe.

This is pure revenue generation, it is bullshit, and many, many cities are banning them because they do no good for the public safety. These cameras really piss me off, so I don't mind one bit fighting them if I can.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The sign says NO TURN ON RED and I turned on red.
so... whats the question...

even in intersections without a camera but signage that says this, you arnt allowed to turn on red, signage isnt put there for revenue generation(unlike the cameras)

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
As for the camera's making money vs making an intersection safer....

The village of Bolingbrook had the cameras up for one year. Since the accident percentages didn't go down the mayor took the cameras out. He gave a statement that they weren't for revenue, but to help make the streets safer, since they didn't do that, they took them out. Plain and simple.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!

Sportbike: The GF!
Years Riding: 3,201,394
How you found us: champ91

Send a message via AIM to Lupi Send a message via MSN to Lupi Send a message via Yahoo to Lupi
I just got one of these, and had to pay to the state, not the city. It was a right turn on red, not a "no turn on red" intersection. I had a car in front of me that was at a comeplete stop, went, I rolled up but didn't come to a complete stop before going.

The video was pretty clear. Essentialy that would be no different than rolling through a stop sign. Still a ticketable offsense.

If you were in a "no turn on red" and you turned, pay the ticket and move on.

Ciao,
Lupi
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Quote:
Anyone have any advice or have beaten it before?

Yeah, I've beaten one before. I just refused to pay it.

For one, they don't send you anything certified, so therefor they have no proof you received anything.

Secondly, you need to obtain 5 of these tickets before they can do anything to your actual driving status and from what I heard is they have a total crap way of keeping track - meaning almost impossible to track. (from what I've been told)

I threw mine in the garbage. It's been almost a year since I haven't heard anything from them. Sure, for the first few months you get the good old credit scare tactic, then you get some driving privileges scare tactic...etc

I said F them... come get me. I haven't heard from them whats getting close to a year now. I stand by what I've said long ago. I'll NEVER pay any ticket from one of these bull shit machines.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -

Last edited by OldSkoolMC; 09-02-2011 at 11:47 AM.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC View Post
Yeah, I've beaten one before. I just refused to pay it.

For one, they don't send you anything certified, so therefor they have no proof you received anything.

Secondly, you need to obtain 5 of these tickets before they can do anything to your actual driving status and from what I heard is they have a total crap way of keeping track - meaning almost impossible to track. (from what I've been told)

I threw mine in the garbage. It's been almost a year since I haven't heard anything from them. Sure, for the first few months you get the good old credit scare tactic, then you get some driving privileges scare tactic...etc

I said F them... come get me. I haven't heard from them whats getting close to a year now. I stand by what I've said long ago. I'll NEVER pay any ticket from one of these bull shit machines.

so what happend? i got three of these fucking things in a week. they are 100 and if not paid after 3 weeks or something says 200. its not like i blew a fucking red light. one was for not counting to 5 one fucking thousand on a right turn on red. wasnt a no turn on red or anything just a reg light. other two were for completing my left turn when the light turned red on a fucking red arrow. there were like three other fuckers in the pic with me in the intersection. how much fucking money do they generate in a day? snowed only one fucking time this year and they couldnt be bothered to hardly clean the streets up here. money fucking well spent...

and pwrmad ur i love the fucking bro attitude. if it was up to me id tie that red light camera to ur bed post and let u deep throat it to death.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

I'd recommend saving a copy of the video's. They have been known to be deleted prior to court dates.

Sorry can't help you beyond that.

Get a GPS, and load the Redlight Camera POI (point of interest) file. This will give you an audiable tone prior to entering an enforced intersection.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM
lust for bikes!

i mean if i would have gotten one in the mail i would have learned my lesson. if i see a red light camera now ill drive around the mother fucker three blocks to be safe. and now every non red light camera intersection is see im blowing the lights like a mother fucker. if there is no one in front of me im fucking pinnin it. fuck em

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

Quote:
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:30 PM
lust for bikes!

btw thanks scout. im really heads up for these fucking things now. ill prolly smash into someone coming to intersections looking round for em on the reg.

Quote:
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:31 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Wait until Chicago gets speed cameras.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
lust for bikes!

dont nerds have the power to do something to these fucking things. like destroy them from the inside out or something? fuck supa and pupa. nerds need to worry about the red light cameras right now. and if they could hack the system and make mine disappear that would be sweet.

Quote:
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 PM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
You know what ticks me off?....these things are sold as being safety features by reducing accidents...

But...

The city of Westmont threw the company out of their meeting basically, as the company could not produce evidence that these in fact reduced accidents and made intersections safer. Westmont did not want to raise $ from these "tickets" and from my understanding, the heated one way conversation ended with Westmont telling the company no.
i agree. It's al revenue. Nothing to do with safety. I remember a few years ago that some place in Texas went through the same type of stuff: cameras went up at intersections, and people were so worried about getting a ticket that they'd slam on the brakes at yellows and get rear ended. Less safety, and insurance went through the roof. They got rid of the cameras after that

visor down
nesba #608
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:27 PM
lust for bikes!

im just going to assume oldskoolmc ended up getting raped by fines hence the silence. ill just raise the funds by increasing the price of my drugs

Quote:
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
im just going to assume oldskoolmc ended up getting raped by fines hence the silence. ill just raise the funds by increasing the price of my blowjobs
Fixed.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 AM
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
im just going to assume oldskoolmc ended up getting raped by fines hence the silence. ill just raise the funds by increasing the price of my drugs
drugs are bad... mmmhhh-kay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode