toys for tots ride feeler? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Moto-Sexual....

Sportbike: honda goldwing 1500se, yamaha gts1000, suzuki tl1000r
Years Riding: one month
How you found us: NickIF

toys for tots ride feeler?

i've been wanting to put an event together to collect toys for needy chicago area children and donate them.

so,
what do you guys think of a "toys for tots" ride earler in the season.

earlier than december, cause the weather is better and the ride is safer.

we could prolly do the 16th of october.

here are some details:

meet at the south end of lakeshore drive (location will be determined)

make this an early meetup (600am) so we wont have an impact on the traffic

ride up lakeshore drive (instead of western ave) to foster avenue to the marine corp donation center.

right now this is just a informal group of bikers that want to contribute to the cause

what do you guys think?

Excuse me, while i kiss this Guy......

<-----Mr. Vern

Hit me up if you're looking for someone to ride with
773.469.2932....whoohoo! i can get texts now!. will get right back to ya

Last edited by SmartBiker; 09-28-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Whoa, that's pretty early!

I'm out of town the 14th-16th...any other weekend I should be down, so long as a warranty issue on the bike is fixed by then.

Keep us posted, once organized I'll put it up on the front page.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

This sounds so pedo. Lol

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: Its my first time ;)
How you found us: Leghumpers Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
This sounds so pedo. Lol

WERA CCS EX #169
I would like to thank the 2014 sponsors...
Riders Discount AllBalls Racing Woodcraft VinylSaurusRex Pit Bull Chicken Hawk Racing
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

I'm all for you and if this happens I will support it at least with a toy donation and even ride if I can. That said let me tell you there is alot to consider if this gets bigger than say 20 or 30 riders. Even at that level you could encounter some challenges. The City has some very specific rules and regulations about motorcades and parades. Permits are required and using a public place as a meet spot or destination will require proper permission. Because you are the organizer you expose yourself and anyone who helps you organize to liability not just to those who participate but to the surrounding community. Having the proper insurance for your event is a must as is getting the participants to sign a legal and properly worded release.
I don't know you but I've seen your posts on CLSB for a long time and I am sure your motives are 100% pure about wanting to do something good. The only reason I bring this up is I would hate to see you and those who help you run afoul of the law or city ordinance or on the hook in a lawsuit. Do some "Due Dilligence" and make sure that what you plan won't get you in hot water. Plus...you will need to coordinate ALL of your plan with the Marine Corps as well.
Two more points...You are starting awful late. To get something like this properly organized you should have been working on it 6 months ago. (Hell...it will take the Marine Corps at least that long just to go up and back down the chain of command just to agree to accept the toys you want to donate! That is IF they do because they have a pretty exclusive thing going with the TFT organization that does the December run).
There is a Toy and food run in the western 'burbs usually right about that time. If your run doesn't happen you could do that one.
In any case, I sincerely wish you good luck.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 09-27-2011 at 12:34 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM
YO MAMA

Gotta love our new age huh? Say just put on a group ride and go to some homeless shelter with the toys.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:34 PM
let's find some twisty's

Sportbike: 06 Speed Triple 04 fjr1300, 88 ex500, 96 dr350, 96 gs500, 05 yz250, 01 yz250, 91 kx500
Years Riding: killing bugs since 1976
How you found us: search

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
I'm all for you and if this happens I will support it at least with a toy donation and even ride if I can. That said let me tell you there is alot to consider if this gets bigger than say 20 or 30 riders. Even at that level you could encounter some challenges. The City has some very specific rules and regulations about motorcades and parades. Permits are required and using a public place as a meet spot or destination will require proper permission. Because you are the organizer you expose yourself and anyone who helps you organize to liability not just to those who participate but to the surrounding community. Having the proper insurance for your event is a must as is getting the participants to sign a legal and properly worded release.
I don't know you but I've seen your posts on CLSB for a long time and I am sure your motives are 100% pure about wanting to do something good. The only reason I bring this up is I would hate to see you and those who help you run afoul of the law or city ordinance or on the hook in a lawsuit. Do some "Due Dilligence" and make sure that what you plan won't get you in hot water. Plus...you will need to coordinate ALL of your plan with the Marine Corps as well.
Two more points...You are starting awful late. To get something like this properly organized you should have been working on it 6 months ago. (Hell...it will take the Marine Corps at least that long just to go up and back down the chain of command just to agree to accept the toys you want to donate! That is IF they do because they have a pretty exclusive thing going with the TFT organization that does the December run).
There is a Toy and food run in the western 'burbs usually right about that time. If your run doesn't happen you could do that one.
In any case, I sincerely wish you good luck.

Why do you think this is a "organized" ride? Vern just threw this out here and you have to get all legal on him.

I have never done the "organized" ride in december but from what has happened in the past i have no plans of doing it any time soon.

It's just like meeting for breakfast and then going for a ride afterwords except we'll be bringing some well needed toys to the marine corp center.

it's not the fall that kills you, it's that sudden stop
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM
YO MAMA

He is just trying to help by giving a heads up on what COULD HAPPEN.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Leave Toys for Tots for the first Sunday of December.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

where do i sign up to get some needy kids from chicago?

You might want to PM "goneinthree" as he could use some extra dancing boys!

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxvet57 View Post
Why do you think this is a "organized" ride? Vern just threw this out here and you have to get all legal on him.

I have never done the "organized" ride in december but from what has happened in the past i have no plans of doing it any time soon.

It's just like meeting for breakfast and then going for a ride afterwords except we'll be bringing some well needed toys to the marine corp center.
"...hopefully this could be a yearly event that the sportbiking community could host..."
That exact quote from the OP would indicate that indeed his intent is to have this be an organized event that he wants to grow. I said I was all for him and I meant it. My input was to get him to consider what an organized event entails. I've organized alot of them. This is the reality of what it takes to have an event. Even a relatively small one requires you to protect yourself. It is what it is.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Sportbike: 82 Suzuki GS650G, 2006 Yamaha FZ6
Years Riding: Started in 2010
How you found us: google

I've organized this very event, with the same route for 4x4's for several years. It was a TON of work, and oldtimebiker hit it right on the head. If you google GLJT 4x4 toys for tots parade I'm sure you'll find plenty of pics and videos from our event. I've sat through hours of meeting with Marines, mayors office of special events, department of transportation, the CTA, police departments, you name it. It isnt fun. It took about year to organize, promote, and make legal a parade of 400 plus 4x4's down lake shore drive.

It was very satisfying, I got a huge kick out of doing it, but I got burned out and passed the torch to others who were more willing.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 AM

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: stopped counting
How you found us: google?

wow, you guys are brutal on vern......

I just wanna ride, whether i have a toy or not.

Vern, count me in.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Moto-Sexual....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
"...hopefully this could be a yearly event that the sportbiking community could host..."
That exact quote from the OP would indicate that indeed his intent is to have this be an organized event that he wants to grow. I said I was all for him and I meant it. My input was to get him to consider what an organized event entails. I've organized alot of them. This is the reality of what it takes to have an event. Even a relatively small one requires you to protect yourself. It is what it is.
first post has been changed...this will be an informal group of riders that want to contribute to the cause

<-----Mr. Vern

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

I'd like to join in also

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBiker View Post
first post has been changed...this will be an informal group of riders that want to contribute to the cause
That's cool...believe me I was in no way trying to discourage you or put you down. I understand completely how some would rather not do the TFT thing in December. I've been a loud voice just trying to get their board to consider the Sunday before Thanksgiving...It's always better weather just 2 weeks earlier!
I would suggest you contact the Marines and let them know when you're coming.
Also...you do understand that if you donate toys to the Marines they have guidelines on what they except (no stuffed animals) and they do not guarantee that the toys are going to children in the local area? The toys could end up in on an Indian reservation in New Mexico or on Guam. Where ever they feel the need is greatest.
Just advising you of that in case you might want to find a group that will use the toys locally.

Good Luck.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: stopped counting
How you found us: google?

seriously, i don't care where the toys go.....indian reservation, somalia, salvation army, etc......as long as I get to ride....AND write it off on my taxes lol.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Moto-Sexual....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxvet57 View Post

bingo!

<-----Mr. Vern

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Sportbike: 82 Suzuki GS650G, 2006 Yamaha FZ6
Years Riding: Started in 2010
How you found us: google

I'd like to join in. Was just trying to point out that the event my group started was also informal in the beginning. We went from 15 vehicles to over 400 in a few years. Not saying that would necessarily happen here, just giving my experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode