Pearl Harbor: 70 Years Ago Today - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Pearl Harbor: 70 Years Ago Today

December 7, 1941; 7:55am local time.

A day which truly has lived in infamy. A day to remember those that sacrificed everything, and gave so much...and all of those that still do.

Pearl Harbor has been on my must see list since 5th grade. I really wonder what it must be like for the survivors there today. I'll bet it doesn't seem like anywhere near 70 years to those fellas.

http://news.yahoo.com/pearl-harbor-a...080816486.html

Quote:
PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii (AP) — The Dec. 7, 1941, bombing of Pearl Harbor and those who lost their lives that day are being remembered Wednesday on the 70th anniversary of the Japanese attack that brought the U.S. into World War II.

About 120 survivors will join Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, military leaders and civilians to observe a moment of silence in Pearl Harbor at 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time — the moment the attack began seven decades ago.

About 3,000 people are expected to attend the event held each year at a site overlooking the sunken USS Arizona and the white memorial that straddles the battleship.

The Pearl Harbor-based guided missile destroyer USS Chung-Hoon will render honors to the Arizona and blow its whistle at the start of a moment of silence at 7:55 a.m. — the same time 70 years ago the first Japanese planes began to attack.

F-22 jets flown by the Hawaii National Guard are due to soar overhead in a missing man formation to finish the moment of silence.

Mal Middlesworth, a Marine veteran who was on the USS San Francisco during the bombing, will deliver the keynote address.

President Barack Obama hailed veterans of the bombing in a statement proclaiming Wednesday "National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day."

"Their tenacity helped define the Greatest Generation and their valor fortified all who served during World War II. As a nation, we look to December 7, 1941, to draw strength from the example set by these patriots and to honor all who have sacrificed for our freedoms," he said.

Also this week, five ash scattering and interment ceremonies are being held for five survivors whose cremated remains are returning to Pearl Harbor after their deaths.

On Tuesday, an urn containing the ashes of Lee Soucy was placed on his battleship, the USS Utah, which is lying on its side near the place where it sank 70 years ago. The ashes of Vernon Olsen, who was on the Arizona during the attack, will be placed on his ship late Wednesday.

The U.S. lost 12 vessels that day, but the Arizona and the Utah are the only ones still sitting in the harbor. The ashes of three others are being scattered in the water in separate ceremonies this week.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Growing up asa kid, one of my Dad's drinkin buddies who lived across the street was in PH and he always hard a hard time on this day

Sad as we were totally caught off guard as a Nation

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.

I was given a WWII Medal of Honor book for xmas when I was a kid...it walked through the war chronologically. The stories were amazing, some of the best remembered were from that day. Some of the things those guys did for their mates was just unbelievable...and many of them from unexpected places. Bugle players, cooks...you name it.

True bravery.

EDIT: Ha! This is it...

http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-WW-II-E...269982&sr=1-15

Tom

Quote:
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

A time of tough Americans who didn't shirk from doing what had to be done.

Their diligence provided us all with the USA we know today and the incredible prosperity most of us have enjoyed.

Fuck the 99% 1% argument ..... they were the 100%. .... 100% United.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
.Fuck the 99% 1% argument ..... they were the 100%. .... 100% United.

Tom
Bingo !! - Not a bunch of whimpering spoiled brats who think the world owes them something because their Dad forgot to pull out...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
A time of tough Americans who didn't shirk from doing what had to be done.

Their diligence provided us all with the USA we know today and the incredible prosperity most of us have enjoyed.

Fuck the 99% 1% argument ..... they were the 100%. .... 100% United.

Tom
Yep. You're talking about a group of guys that grew up in many, many cases truly poor. My Grandfather used to say that no one even knew they were poor because everyone was! He didn't know that toilet paper existed until he went to the service (see Sears Catalog history ) and used to jump the freight trains off 47th street to grab coal to heat their home. THEN, after growing up in the Depression, they went to war...where 250,000 of them gave their lives. All, with unfettered grit, determination and honor.

Truly, the greatest generation.

Tom

Quote:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 AM
CLSB RESIDENT REDNECK!!!!

Sportbike: Used to have a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i Red/Black
Years Riding: 9 Years on n off
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Bingo !! - Not a bunch of whimpering spoiled brats who think the world owes them something because their Dad forgot to pull out...
Probably one of the truest statements ever said.

Mark

2001 F4i Red/Black ( She Gone )
2003 GMC Sierra Z71 Pewter
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
lol It's even typed in redneck!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is based on a true story: Chuck Norris once swallowed a turtle whole, and when he crapped it out, the turtle was six feet tall and had learned karate.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

I visited the Arizona memorial over 20 years ago. It's an experience that will be with me for the rest of my life. If you've never been, go...it will be an experience that will stick with you, too. That's all I can say except Thank you to all veterans and those serving.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

I've been back and forth to Pearl Harbor 10 times this year because we have sustainment on a system out there.

There are actually still bullet holes in the flight tower and some of the buildings out on Ford Island. There is still a strong smell of diesel oil at several of sunken ships locations. They are getting ready to close the monument that sits above the Arizona because of safety is what I heard. The historical society out there is in full swing of restoring the old flight tower to. It's surrounded by scaffolding and every time I go back they have more done.

I can tell you guys one thing though. That base is still the strong hold for us in the Pacific and for PACFLT. From the top of the dive tower location where I have some equipment you can look down on the whole base. Monday they had several destroyer ships, 4 Ohio Class subs and I think I saw a fleet balistic missile sub to because it's wider and longer. There is a lot of activity for the airforce and navy at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam (JBPHH), which is what it is called now.

Last edited by Grasshopper; 12-07-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode