Details on new speed cameras - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Details on new speed cameras

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s speed cameras won’t start churning out $35 and $100 tickets until the end of this year after a field test of the fast-changing technology, a top mayoral aide said Thursday.

One day after a divided City Council authorized the installation of fixed and mobile surveillance cameras to catch motorists speeding near schools and parks, Transportation Commissioner Gabe Klein reiterated his promise to proceed with caution.

The city will first issue a so-called “request-for-proposals,” then choose a handful of companies to test their camera technologies on the street this fall without issuing tickets.

That field test will be followed by the selection of a single vendor. There will also be two tiers of warnings to motorists — including an unlimited number during the first 30 days after cameras are installed and one more-per-driver after the break-in period is over.

The bottom line is that speeding motorists won’t start paying the fines — $35 for going between six and 10 miles-per-hour over the speed limit near schools and parks and $100 for going 11 mph over the limit — anytime soon.

“We may do some pilots earlier in the fall, but I don’t think you’ll actually see cameras out there on the streets issuing ticketing for bad behavior until the end of the year at the earliest,” Klein said.

The mayor’s ordinance authorizes a maximum of 300 locations. But, Klein said, “At most, I can see us maybe putting up 50 in the first year in 2013 — and that’s really a max number.”

Despite concerns that it’s more about raising revenue than keeping children safe, the City Council this week approved the dramatic expansion in the Chicago’s Big Brother surveillance network. The vote was 33 to 14.

Klein said “many, many companies” offering an array of different technologies have expressed interest in installing the speed cameras in Chicago neighborhoods.

“There’s radar. There’s LIDAR. There’s induction loops [two strips in the road that calculate how fast a car is going]. There are new cameras that are 360 [degree] cameras that can do more than one thing,” Klein said.

“The technology is pretty complicated. Because everything is changing so quickly, the best way to figure out what the best value is for the taxpayers is to actually put something on the street and see it work. That’s what the mayor wants to see.”

The speed limit around most Chicago schools and parks is lower when children are present. How will the cameras know that a child is present?

“You’d be amazed at the technology. … The cameras are very high-resolution and can pick up incredible minutiae and detail,” he said.

To further protect motorists, Klein said there would be “three levels of review:” by the speed camera operator; by IBM, which has a contract with the city’s Department of Revenue and Finance and by the city’s Department of Transportation.

In a related matter, Klein said he plans to install Chicago’s first “pedestrian scramble” or “Barnes Dance” intersection in the downtown area later this year. That’s where the light in all directions stays red for 14 seconds every other light cycle so pedestrians can cross six ways, including diagonally.

He refused to identify the intersection, but acknowledged under questioning that State and Madison is a prime candidate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
a government by the people for the people. YA right?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

red light cameras and speed cameras without a person physically there to witness it should be unconstitutional. If a tree falls in the woods...

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

they used to be be illegal and considered unconstitutional. but, then the government pushed and pushed till they could get one or two red light cameras.... to save the children, then they got a few more, then a 1000 more.... then the big brother network, now Just a few speed cameras, by schools, you know... just for the safety of the kids. then a few more, then every mile, then every 100 feet. Next.... I'm guessing subcutaneous rfid tags, in kids, ya know just for safety, then all adults and those will be tied into the big brother network, so a name will appear above everyone's head on the camera system. cash will become useless, and you will only buy an sell, by the use of your rfid tag, ya know, so they can curb the drug trade, but in reality its just so they can keep track f everything we do and pay tax on every little thing we do.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I wonder how many kids actually were injured in Chicago by motorists near schools and parks to justify these cameras.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa

MAKE CHICAGO THE 51st STATE!

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

All that testing is a waste. Rahm's campain coffers will still get the contract.

Tribune: Mayor's speed cameras would help political ally

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

This is dumb... in the UK there are numerous accidents from people slamming on the brakes when they approach speed camera zones and then speeding up again afterwards. I'll admit that I prefer the cameras to having patrol officers on the highways but still in the US they don't post enough warnings or soon enough when you are approaching a camera zone - so I definitely am not looking forward to this. However this does allow for the time tested - how can you prove it was me on that motorcycle excuse in court ... it works in Iowa and has worked in Arizona, so I'm guessing it'll be fine in IL too.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

seriously these things are so fucking dangerous. standard intersection procedure goes out the window. shit like i dont kno....scanning for hazards and using your lifetime judgement of maybe 50000000 intersection crossings to decide if u should stop or not. all these things make u do is stare at the light and accelerate as u get close. paying attention to nothing else....and if u have to stop pray the guy behind u doesnt ram u.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

http://www.phantomplate.com/photoshieldmoto.html

not really legal but i got a few of these, the auto ones come on a clear plate protector that spaces it about 3/8 in from plate , the mc one does not work well if it is touching plate but if you space it(you'll need to make your own) it works great

FTPoliticians, I'll be running these on everything
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Quote:
This is dumb... in the UK there are numerous accidents from people slamming on the brakes when they approach speed camera zones and then speeding up again afterwards. I'll admit that I prefer the cameras to having patrol officers on the highways but still in the US they don't post enough warnings or soon enough when you are approaching a camera zone - so I definitely am not looking forward to this.
wat?

ok, people breaking the law regardless and then being unable to drive is a shitty excuse, people who get into an accident on both ends of that excuse should receive higher punishment.

Why should there be any signs? how about a sign in your car so you can read it before you start driving

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

btw, I am against this on the basis that chicago is doing this to line their pockets and using the children as an excuse.

fuck the 51st state!

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
red light cameras and speed cameras without a person physically there to witness it should be unconstitutional. If a tree falls in the woods...
They dismantled the entire system in the Phoenix area a year ago for that reason, plus no one was actually paying the fines. Their collection was never higher than 5%.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
They dismantled the entire system in the Phoenix area a year ago for that reason, plus no one was actually paying the fines. Their collection was never higher than 5%.
Chicago will find a way to collect the fines. They'll privatise the collection and booting system.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

I wonder if they will line LSD as the Lakefront is considered "Chicago Park Dist" - They would CLEAN UP as NO ONE does 45 there

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Dumfocks in Chicago elected this asshat. They deserve every fine they get. I, for one, will stay the fock out of the city and spend my $$ elsewhere until Big Brother leaves.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Was not so much the people of the City as it was and always is the City Union Workers and ANYONE affiliated with doing business with the City

Daley: You wanna keep this contract? Good, I don't think I have to tell you which way your people should be voting

ALLLLLLL the way down to the Wards that benefit too

Watch the Starz Show "Boss" with Kelsey Grammar if you want a spot on depiction of how the City "works"

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout67 View Post
All that testing is a waste. Rahm's campain coffers will still get the contract.

Tribune: Mayor's speed cameras would help political ally
Annnnnnd the truth comes out.

- Ronald Reagan

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Annnnnnd the truth comes out.
Yeah I had to double take on the newspaper, surprised the trib ran that story. That is hearsay if not libel. Not saying its false or incorrect as far as I'm concerned, just saying surprised a main stream paper ran the story. That's good to see.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 04-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 PM

Sportbike: CBR1100XX & CBR1000F
Years Riding: I can't remember that far back.
How you found us: Member

I've seen studies that accidents increase with these camera's. I currently live close by a stop light camera intersection and the accidents have gone way up. This is a Union Dem controlled city.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM

Sportbike: FZ6
How you found us: fz6 forum

The REAL question is whether the technology will be able to work on motorcycle. I mean the loop induction thingy. You know the thingy that supposed to detect if you're there for the left turn and such. Anybody know?
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Can't wait to move out of the city.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Its wont last very long there is a lawsuit against chicago right now for the red light cameras which is seeking the removal of the cameras due to laws and seeking the refund to everyone issued a ticket by them.

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
Can't wait to move out of the city.
HUH??? you are the consummate liberal supporter. you stay in your liberal utopia and enjoy it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
HUH??? you are the consummate liberal supporter. you stay in your liberal utopia and enjoy it.
I'm as libertarian as they come. I just play a liberal troll on CLSB to keep things interesting
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
I'm as libertarian as they come. I just play a liberal troll on CLSB to keep things interesting

same crap. And you also want open borders like Ron Paul. So we can give one culture free handouts.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
This is dumb... in the UK there are numerous accidents from people slamming on the brakes when they approach speed camera zones and then speeding up again afterwards. .

people are dumb in the UK. And they got a huge population of their own occupy wall street. In poland, they got those cameras at crosswalks, and i havn't seen an issue.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll View Post
Dumfocks in Chicago elected this asshat. They deserve every fine they get. I, for one, will stay the fock out of the city and spend my $$ elsewhere until Big Brother leaves.
+1 The only time I go to the city is to the United Center for the games, train and bus there and back, the city ain't getting anymore of my $$$ than necessary, and IL will soon be out of my life too. Wyoming is a very pleasant place to live.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM

Sportbike: CBR1100XX & CBR1000F
Years Riding: I can't remember that far back.
How you found us: Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll View Post
I didn't vote for him. Only about 1/3 of the city residents are registered voters. Out of that less than 1/2 vote. From what I can recall reading we had about 9% of the city population turnout to vote in one of the recent elections. It doesn't take too many union workers, city patronage workers, illegal aliens, dead people and the vote early vote often crowd to tip an election. On top of that in the city it's all liberal democrat. The elections are won in the primaries since no republican or libertarian candidate stands a chance in the general electon. So your choice is in the primary and determined on which one of the stupid fucks you think will screw you over the least. The state isn't in any better hands with Quinn. I didn't vote for him either.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Any traffic engineer will agree with most of the sentiment above. The very worst thing you can do in a roadway is install something that causes abrupt or unpredictable actions.

That's exactly what happens with these things...kind of ironic, isn't it, that IDOT put the kaibosh on these things along highways for safety reasons, but they've deemed them just fine in school zones. Neato Government, Neato.

...Quinn wants to raise taxes a dollar a pack on cigarettes to generate something like $360 million a year, while saying at the same time he's doing it to help people quit smoking. Which is it? Do you need the money or do you want people to quit smoking? Where will you get the money then? ...afterall, the go-to ploy of "cuts to fire, police and education" are imminent

What a bunch of bumbling, money-grubbing morons.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode