Traditional IRA vs. Roth IRA? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: zx6r
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: friend

Traditional IRA vs. Roth IRA?

Who does what?

Whats your age?

I am doing some research on Roth IRAs. I currently have a traditional IRA, which has 4% deductions, and is matched 4% by my employer. This includes profit sharing, but is separate from my stocks, portfolio. I have been contributing to this, for approx. 5.5 years. I recently, turned 30 and am debating, if I should either convert my traditional 401k to a Roth, or create another account specifically for Roth contributions?

I know the information concernng Traditonal vs Roth. I am looking more so for opinions and experiences, if anyone has any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

You might want to PM Polish Pete. He helped my with my IRA's last year.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

If you qualify, ROTH is by FAR the best way to go.

Steps (from Dave Ramsey)

1. Put into your 401k whatever your employer match is
2. Max out your ROTH
3. If you are still not up to 15% of your income, put the balance in your 401k at the office.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
You might want to PM Polish Pete. He helped my with my IRA's last year.
ya ill throw pete a pm. i didnt know he dabbled in these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post

Steps (from Dave Ramsey)

2. Max out your ROTH
3. If you are still not up to 15% of your income, put the balance in your 401k at the office.
ya ideally thats be awesome...but financially i cannot swing those percentages. other than the 4%, i have an additional 10% going into discounted stocks. i think ill still open a roth and do 2-4%, just to supplement what i have.

other than the roth deductions already being taxed, and assuming the future tax rate and/or my tax bracket will be higher, are there any other benefits? i know that there are no mandatory withdrawls later...i think age 70
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

If you do convert to a Roth .... you will pay tax on the full amount now.

That said ..... all of the interest compounded over time is then tax-free..... unless they change the rules at some point.

At your age .... it's a no-brainer...... Roth.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Are you asking about converting a previous employers 401K to a Roth or the current one you are contributing to now? if the first, sure go for it. if the later, why?

Greg

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
Are you asking about converting a previous employers 401K to a Roth or the current one you are contributing to now? if the first, sure go for it. if the later, why?
converting my existing 401k...or maintaining the 401k and doing a seperate Roth...im almost certain i need to maintain some sort of traditional for matching purposes.

the only 401k i have now is my current...if that clarifies.

Last edited by nannho; 05-07-2012 at 11:49 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di

You are giving us limited information so we'll have to make some assumptions.

On a 401K, the only thing you want to do contribute at least the percentage matched, and evaluate you investment strategy (aggressive/diversified/income) based on your age and risk tolerance.

You are welcome to open a seperate IRA or Roth. Make your decision on which one, based on tax deductability and your tolerance for liquidity.

http://www.irs.gov/retirement/articl...202510,00.html

Greg

Last edited by gsd656; 05-07-2012 at 12:04 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Quote:

Steps (from Dave Ramsey)

2. Max out your ROTH
I disagree..the benefit of the Roth is to have tax free earnings when you draw on it when you retire, but 20 years from now I'm sure that will change when the government is desperate for every nickle they can get. Take advantage of the tax savings now in my opinion.

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Quote:

Steps (from Dave Ramsey)

2. Max out your ROTH
+1 on Roth.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditCPA View Post
I disagree..the benefit of the Roth is to have tax free earnings when you draw on it when you retire, but 20 years from now I'm sure that will change when the government is desperate for every nickle they can get. Take advantage of the tax savings now in my opinion.
True!

Greg

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

I can definitely help (thanks for the nod Steve). We do a lot of this. Give me a call and we can talk. I'm not sure how much I can post up here due to FINRA rules...so I'll keep this brief.

Just for those reading, and to make it clear, you can "change" your current 401K that might be in a traditional product, to a Roth, but it must stay where it's at. In order to take your 401K out and transition to another tax qualified account, there must be a "qualifying event" (like termination of employement). So, your options for that 401K would be to leave it as is, change it to a Roth at the same place it's at (basically just changing it's tax treatment), or withdraw the money (not recommended).

So now you're looking at opening a seperate account to save more for retirement and take advantage of the tax benefits.

What I like...keep the 401K, max it out to at least what the employer matches, and maybe put some more in if you're happy with what investments are available to you, the costs/fees, and the performance of the product.

As a supplement, start a personal Roth IRA, and max it out.

To me, that's the basis/starting point of a good retirement plan.

Quote:
Check out this chart. As much as everyone hates taxes...we're near historical lows right now. The thought process might be that the government needs money, and will continue to need money, and can only increase taxes...but that's an opinion that each person needs to make on their own. No one knows exactly where taxes will be at any point.

(Side note: Have you guys seen the news that the feds are toying with an idea to stop the tax benefits of 401K's, and instead have that money go to the government...that is, they would make it a LAW that every worker in the US has to save money (by sending it to the feds), and the government would then manage that money for you, and return it to you at retirement (isn't that what Social Security is??)...and, they would give it to the social security administration to manage for you (so it really is Social Security again!!). To me, this is just unthinkable.))

Quote:

Steps (from Dave Ramsey)

2. Max out your ROTH
I like this.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Some employers match either 401 or Roth.

That makes the choice easy.

Tom

T2
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

ok... great info by everyone...so ty.

i have contacted my payroll dept and contacted my retirement planner as well. for my particular case:

-my company will allocat the 4% match to my traditional 401k ONLY. the roth is a personal account and due to laws, they cannot match a personal account...even though i can manage my roth, with my traditional 401.

so what i will do is create a roth, within my current elections of my retirment provider (which 4% match will continue to be applied to my existing IRA) and use the roth to supplement my other financial plans. when i leave, pete ill be contacting you.

lol...thinking abut retirement now...and for the past 5 years...is ridicilious! planning for is is smart, but thinking about the concept of being retired, when i am olny 3o, is hilarious! haha.

Last edited by nannho; 05-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
(Side note: Have you guys seen the news that the feds are toying with an idea to stop the tax benefits of 401K's, and instead have that money go to the government...that is, they would make it a LAW that every worker in the US has to save money (by sending it to the feds), and the government would then manage that money for you, and return it to you at retirement (isn't that what Social Security is??)...and, they would give it to the social security administration to manage for you (so it really is Social Security again!!). To me, this is just unthinkable.))

If this happens, there will be hell to pay in DC.

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

u called it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
Some employers match either 401 or Roth.

That makes the choice easy.

Tom
lol...ya this...
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quote:
Wow, you and Dave Ramsey should have a conversation.

More than a few of his articles on ROTH IRA: http://www.daveramsey.com/search/pro...earch=roth+ira

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

The fact you're even thinking of retirement, have some money in the bank, and are managing it........ makes you better than 43% of Americans that have less than $1000 set aside for retirement.

Now that's friggin scary.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: Scout 67

I went with a 457B plan which is pre-tax. I need to lower my income bracket once I get married which will be in 1.5 months. I also have I.M.R.F through work which they match 4.5 % to equal 9% total in retirement.

I think I'm launching approximately 25% of my income plus the matched stuff from my job to retire early at 55 very comfortably. My future wife is also throwing money into a pre-tax program too. Saving now is always a great idea. I can withdraw my money as so as I terminate employment with my employer w/o penalty. I have to pay taxes when I take contributions but I avoid state taxes I believe. Overall it's a great plan to reduce taxable income.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

My work is planning on offering a Roth very soon, and I will probably split my contributions evenly between our 401k type plan and the Roth. I'm in the same boat as you age wise.

You should consider the tax rate you are paying now, and the tax rate you will pay in the future. I agree with most others that tax rates will probably go up in the future, but also keep in mind that you are probably in a lower tax bracket now then you will be once you retire since you are relatively early in your career. You may want to reevaluate your options every time you move into a different bracket or the tax code is rewritten since this would change the equation. And of course the whole idea of different types of accounts is to mitigate risks. It probably is not wise to put all your eggs in one basket since the fed could change tax law at any time.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
How you found us: Crazeinc

I've been anxiously waiting for TSP ROTH to kick off (TSP is for military and gov employees). For me it's a no brainer, with the deployments I'm definitely in the lower tax bracket now than I'll be after retiring from the military. Only thing I wish was that they matched any of my contributions
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

all great info and help. thx
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Greg

For those that say that you will be in a higher tax bracket when you retire, how do you figure?

The way I see it, typically your tax rate is like a bell curve. Please enlighten me.

Greg

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

With a Roth, the tax is paid NOW .... on income earned. ...... no income when withdrawn later.

With a traditional IRA ..... it is pre-tax now ..... claimed as income when withdrawn.

This raises your income during the withdrawal period .... and could raise your tax rate.

Tom

T2
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Greg

True, but unless you are withdrawing it in a lump sum, a gradual withdrawal will most likely be lower per annum then your current income. The reason for this, is that your living expenses are just that and typically do not include the big whopper which is the mortgage.

Anyways, just my thoughts on this.

Greg

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
For those that say that you will be in a higher tax bracket when you retire, how do you figure?

The way I see it, typically your tax rate is like a bell curve. Please enlighten me.
* My kids will be adults

* I won't be going to school after retirement

* Won't have tax free income for months I am deployed.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
d0 work s0n!

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R
Years Riding: Moment I got off the street
How you found us: twinky in the donut?

No reason to leave your company's 401k. It's free money. Stay with the company up to the match and then open a Roth to supplement any other savings you want.

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
when i start to come undone, stitch me together.
when you see me stretched remind me of what left this outlaw torn."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode