NATO Summit Transport Disruptions - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

NATO Summit Transport Disruptions

Transportation: Significant disruptions on Metra rail during NATO Summit May 19-21 in Chicago, Ill., US. Expect heightened security and transportation delays.
This alert affects Illinois - Chicago
This alert began 14 May 2012 18:24 GMT and is scheduled to expire 22 May 2012 03:00 GMT.
In order to enhance security surrounding the May 20-21 NATO summit, authorities in Chicago plan comprehensive changes to both public and private transportation.

Road closures
Parking restrictions began May 13. The following road closures and restrictions to pedestrian traffic are slated to begin 0001 May 19; officials assured commuters that all restrictions will be lifted in time for the evening commute May 21.
Lake Shore Drive between E. Balbo Avenue and E. 39th Street
Interstate 55 between I-90/94 to Lake Shore Drive
S. Columbus Drive at E. Balbo Avenue
E. Roosevelt Road between S. Michigan Avenue and Lake Shore Drive
S. Indiana Avenue between E. 21st Street and E. 25th Street
S. Calumet Avenue between E. Cullerton Street and E. Cermak Road
S. Prairie Avenue between E. 21st Street and E. 25th Street
E. 21st Street between S. Indiana Avenue and S. Calumet Avenue
E. Cermak Road between S. Michigan Avenue and Martin Luther King Drive
E. 24th Place westbound between Martin Luther King Drive and S. State Street
E. 25th Street eastbound between S. State Street and Martin Luther King Drive
S. Wabash Avenue between E. 24th Place and E. 25th Street
Martin Luther King Drive between E. 26th Street and E. Cermak Road
Moe Drive between E. 31st Street and Mines Drive
E. 31st Street between S. Cottage Grove and Fort Dearborn Drive
Fort Dearborn Drive between E. 31st Street and Lakeside Center
There will be intermittent traffic delays and temporary closures on interstates and throughout the downtown area to allow motorcades to travel to and from McCormick Place and other event sites. The major roadways affected by these intermittent closures include:
I-90 East & West (Kennedy Expressway) between O'Hare International Airport and downtown
Ohio Street from I-90/94 to Fairbanks Court/Columbus Drive
Ontario Street from Fairbanks Court/Columbus Drive to I-90/94
I-90/94 East and West between downtown and I-55
Roosevelt Road, 18th Street, and Canalport Avenue access from I-94 West (Dan Ryan Expressway outbound)
Additional road and parking lot closures can be found on the official Secret Service notice: http://www.chicagonato.org/secret-se...release-15.php

Public Transportation

Metra
Metra is planning significant service disruptions throughout its network. Regular service will continue on 10 of the system's 11 lines, but expect considerable disruptions to operations on the Electric Line.

Riders on all Metra lines may be subject to screening and baggage checks - with more extensive screening on the Electric Line; authorities are warning riders to allow at least an additional 15 minutes for screening before boarding trains. The following conditions will apply to riders on all Metra lines May 19-21:
Riders may be subject to search and/or screening before boarding or while en route.
Riders may carry only one bag not exceeding 38 cm (15 inches) square and 10 cm (4 inches) deep. Boxes, parcels, luggage, backpacks and bicycles will not be allowed on trains. Banned items cannot be stored at Metra stations. They must be removed or they will be disposed of.
Riders may not carry any food on the trains. Airport-style restrictions will be in place for liquids: liquids and personal effects (such as makeup) must be less than three ounces in size. This includes coffee and other beverages. Breast milk can be carried but is subject to inspection and should be declared during any screening.
Riders may not carry any type of tools, pipes, stakes, wood, or weapons, including pocket knives and pepper spray, on the trains.
Electric Line outbound services are largely unaffected, but inbound trains will not stop at the following stations May 21:

111th Street (Pullman), 107th Street, 103rd Street (Rosemoor), 95th Street (Chicago State University), 91st Street (Chesterfield), 87th Street (Woodruff), 83rd Street (Avalon Park), 79th Street (Chatham), 75th Street (Grand Crossing), 63rd Street, 87th Street, Cheltenham (79th Street), Windsor Park, and Bryn Mawr. The 47th Street (Kenwood), 27th Street, McCormick Place, 18th Street and Museum Campus/11th Street stations will be closed for the duration of the summit. Trains will not operate in either direction on the Blue Island branch, nor will inbound trains scheduled to arrive at Millennium between 1257 and 1846 on May 21. McCormick Place station will be closed entirely May 20-21.

Chicago Transit Authority (CTA)
Services on the L will be largely unaffected; CTA officials announced plans to expand service and add additional services on the L to accommodate additional passengers from affected bus and Metra routes.

CTA bus services being affected May 18-21 include routes 1, 3, 4, 6, 10, 12, 14, 18, 21, 22, 29, 35, 36, 55, 60, 62, 124, 145, 146, 147, 151, and 157. Anticipate delays on buses running on altered routes.

Amtrak
Amtrak reports no changes to their services to and from Chicago, despite the fact that their trains run directly underneath the summit venue at McCormick Place. Amtrak will employ bomb-sniffing dogs at the Homewood and Union stations May 19-21.

Advice
Consider telecommuting options as necessary, especially on May 21. Motorists should consider alternate routes to avoid road closures and heightened security zones when possible. If possible, eschew traditional business attire for more casual attire, so as not to attract attention from protesters. Steer clear of large groups of demonstrators. Follow the advice of authorities. Carry as few personal belongings as possible. Carry proper identification at all times.

For additional information, see iJET's alert, NATO Summit May 20-21.

Resources
Metra: www.metrarail.com
CTA: www.transitchicago.com/nato
Amtrak: www.amtrak.com

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Thanks Justin, great info.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

I don't really get all this - After what happened in Seattle, why would ANY City want this taking place within their limits? - Yes, revenue, I get that but with all you need to spend to amp up Security and such, is it even really worth it?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I don't really get all this - After what happened in Seattle, why would ANY City want this taking place within their limits? - Yes, revenue, I get that but with all you need to spend to amp up Security and such, is it even really worth it?
Seriously, all these cats should just hop on gotomeeting. Done and done.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
Seriously, all these cats should just hop on gotomeeting. Done and done.
Or just go to Burning Man where there is nothing to fuck up

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

A great link to reference for NATO road closures.

http://www.chicagonato.org/secret-se...release-15.php

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Or just go to Burning Man where there is nothing to fuck up
Yeah a place where nothing happens, like tryleg's bedroom. That would be a great place to hold the summit, we all know their ain't shit going on there.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 05-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
Yeah a place where nothing happens, like tryleg's bedroom. That would be a great place to hold the smmit, we all know their ain't shit going on there.
Thats not what his crusty towel under his mattress next to "Fatty Fat Fats Monthly" says........

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

I would think staying the hell out of chicago is the best option

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode