Hypothetical situation - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Hypothetical situation

(Disclaimer: I am in no way knowledgeable to or involved in any such activity nor is this site. This is simply hypothetical.)

Scenario: If you were flying somewhere on a commercial airline and suddenly 3, 4, 5 or however many men suddenly jump up and obviously are attempting to take control of the plane for hijacking purposes, what would you do? I am talking about what you would really do taking into consideration you would be scared and nervous and whatever else.

Would you jump up and charge the terrorists? would you try to recruit other men around you to do the same or assume they would follow in your initial attack? what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to answer. Assuming they didnt have explosives, I would get up and attempt to attack them without talking to anyone around me first. I would try to isolate one and take them one at a time and hopefully other passengers would do the same. That is my feeling of what I would do in that situation.

Obviously I would hope an air marshal was on the flight though
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Banned

Sportbike: Kawasaki Zx-10 Ninja
Years Riding: since i was 5
How you found us: sbn

if they just had box cutters, their asses are going down
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Grasshopper

I fly at least 2 times a month for work. This has gone through my head several times. I would definately charge, and fuck someone up if they were attempting to take over the plane I'm on. I usually talk to people I'm bording the plane with so I would be open to people around me about what I'm attempting to do. Depending on how hectic things got, even if the guy had a gun I would still attempt to take him out one way or another
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:20 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Depends on my proximity and chance of actually thwarting their mission. I'd do what I could as long as it makes some sort of a difference.

If they were out of arm's reach....I would sit back and plot how to attack later.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:24 PM

Ahhh... you are all such MANLY MEN!!!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:26 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

I've thought of this scenario again and again each time I fly.

The old rule of thumb was to not interfere with the terrorists because it was always about releasing hostages or money, so let them go about their business. 9/11 threw that all out the window. If somebody is gonna start shit on a plane I'm on, I'm going down fighting.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper
I fly at least 2 times a month for work. This has gone through my head several times. I would definately charge, and fuck someone up if they were attempting to take over the plane I'm on. I usually talk to people I'm bording the plane with so I would be open to people around me about what I'm attempting to do. Depending on how hectic things got, even if the guy had a gun I would still attempt to take him out one way or another
How exactly do you pose this situation to other people you are about to fly with? If you even mention to someone while in an airport "in the event that something happens on this flight i am going to jump up and take them down" i believe you would be thrown in airport lockup and questioned. how do you bring that up without getting in trouble for talking about a touchy topic?

the theory of waiting for a later time to attack might work but I think trying to attack them before they had time to get setup and positioned at key points for defense would be more important. I have also thought about #1 using my Seat cushion (which is my floatation device to deflect what weapons they may have or ripping my tray table apart and using it to baseball bat them. could you imagine how well one of the metal arms of a tray table could be used for defensive purposes against and armed terrorist? hope i am never in a situation where I have to do this but it is just a thought on what to do.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:33 PM

The thing is, how possible is it really to get a gun (at least in America) onboard a plane these days? I forsee the only type of weapon a terrorist would be able to smuggle on the plane would be something like a box cutter like they used. That being the case, you really don't need anything, but grab the seat cushion if you want as a shield, tackle them and beat the shit out of them.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MeggysGixxer
Ahhh... you are all such MANLY MEN!!!

does that get you wet
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:52 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

air marshall incident report:

empty gun

5 bullets for idiotic passengers,
1 bullet for terrorist

rest of passengers saved

end report

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:57 PM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Quote:
Originally posted by fierospeeder
does that get you wet

Hahahha! Anyways, if i were in that situation, id wait until someone stepped up, then i would back them up. I don't want to be the lone gunman against 5 Afghani's with boxcutters, i hate paper cuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:02 PM
Banned

Whose gonna land the plane if they kill the pilots.

good i know how to fly a plane. Now if i only know how to fly a 100passenger plane.

History question.
Have we had any hijackings? I do remember there was some that were not in this country. And what weapons did they have on the plane?
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
does that get you wet

dude, you two need to do your leghumping via pm. i mean get a room, for christ's sake.

Chris
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:17 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Yeh PM...like Vcook....when you leghump....
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Banned

but shes kinda slow in responding back

It gets soft by the time i get a message back
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

how about this for a defensive manuver for pilots. if there is a terrorist onboard and they are trying to take the plane. the pilot without warning starts doing nose dives and then very very steep climes. that would throw the terrorists all over the place so when the plane levels off the passengers in the seats have the opportunity to jump them. I like that idea. It would make catching a terrorist fun! kind of like a roller coaster.

also, i have heard that commercial planes are so complicated that if, god forbid, something happened to the pilots and the passengers retook the plane without any piloting skills, the tower would try to talk them through a landing but the percentages of surviving would be so small because of the difficulty of maneuvering a plane of that size. Is that true?
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
How exactly do you pose this situation to other people you are about to fly with? If you even mention to someone while in an airport "in the event that something happens on this flight i am going to jump up and take them down" i believe you would be thrown in airport lockup and questioned. how do you bring that up without getting in trouble for talking about a touchy topic?

the theory of waiting for a later time to attack might work but I think trying to attack them before they had time to get setup and positioned at key points for defense would be more important. I have also thought about #1 using my Seat cushion (which is my floatation device to deflect what weapons they may have or ripping my tray table apart and using it to baseball bat them. could you imagine how well one of the metal arms of a tray table could be used for defensive purposes against and armed terrorist? hope i am never in a situation where I have to do this but it is just a thought on what to do.

I'm not saying I discuss a scenario like this with people before I get on a plane, I was just saying that I'm social with people and if something like this did happen, it would be easier to get people to back you up after you were social with them and kind of got to know them.

Sometimes when I get on a plane, I'll say, "how's everyone doing today" out loud. It's funny to see how people react. Some respond, and others just ignore me.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:02 PM

Tough question that I don't think you can answer necessarily just like that. If that was the answer I would think that more than one plane on 9/11 would have had the result it did. Think about this...the terrorists are no small potatoes either. They're generally trained in fighting and are anticipating some sort of counter-attack I would think.

None the less I would think that I would join in.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:15 PM

In the cockpit we have the ability to go on 100% O2. We "could" depressurize the airplane and at high altitudes everyone but us goes night night, although extended time like that can cause brain damage and even death.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

If someone tried to hijack me in my plane, I'd reach forward with my strap cutting emergency egress tool and "loosen" their seat belts. Then I'd blow the canopy and smartly roll to inverted. Problem solved.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by tjpilot
In the cockpit we have the ability to go on 100% O2. We "could" depressurize the airplane and at high altitudes everyone but us goes night night, although extended time like that can cause brain damage and even death.
Can that be done without ear or lung damage to the passengers?

Dave
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I'd have no problem risking my life to save the plane. hell if I'm gonna die anyways due to the hijacking, I'm going out fighting, I'm taking as many of them as I can with me

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony
I'd have no problem risking my life to save the plane. hell if I'm gonna die anyways due to the hijacking, I'm going out fighting, I'm taking as many of them as I can with me
what he said.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SloRoll
If someone tried to hijack me in my plane, I'd reach forward with my strap cutting emergency egress tool and "loosen" their seat belts. Then I'd blow the canopy and smartly roll to inverted. Problem solved.
what the hell kind of plane do you have? a fighter jet?
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Quote:
Originally posted by tjpilot
That would suck if the terrorist got to this feature before anyone could do something about it. I agree with Biggy, it is easy to say "I would stand up and beat their ass" but in the heat of the moment and a big mofo with a utility knife is staring you down, I have a feeling that it would be alot harder to roll into action than what one thinks. Having said that and typing this from the comfort of my coporately provided cube, I would analyze the situation and try to attack at the best opportunity. Like someone said, 9/11 through all that..."sit and behave and this will all be over soon" theory. If we are going down anyway, LET'S GET IT ON!

the uncarved stone
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
what the hell kind of plane do you have? a fighter jet?
Check out the "Post Yourself" thread.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
Can that be done without ear or lung damage to the passengers?
Even if the pilot chooses to dump the cabin pressure, the effect will be a rapid decompression not an explosive one. The time of usefull consiousness at 30k-40k feet is somewhere between 20 to 40 seconds depending on your health and whether or not you smoke. Brain damage can occur if oxygen is not supplied after approx 3-4 minutes. Lung damage can occur if you try to hold your breath as the air inside your lungs will expand to about 5x the normal volume. People who have experienced this describe it as a giant exhale. The bends are also a possibility. Damage to the eardrum can occur if the eustation tube is blocked. All in all, probably not a pleasant experience.

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 05:57 PM

Quote:
but shes kinda slow in responding back

It gets soft by the time i get a message back

Quit being nasty already. And you probably get soft by the time a women says "ok, I'll do you"

p.s. Now stop talking about SOFT. The only thing I like SOFT is when talking about SOFT TAIL HD.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MeggysGixxer
Quit being nasty already. And you probably get soft by the time a women says "ok, I'll do you"

p.s. Now stop talking about SOFT. The only thing I like SOFT is when talking about SOFT TAIL HD.
What about SOFT drinks? Or SOFT pillows? Anyway, what would I do? I would wait for the best time to try and get them, and hope there is an Air Marshall aboard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode