Wife's back hurts (tempurpedic advice) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: Scout 67

Wife's back hurts (tempurpedic advice)

So my lovely wife is complaining about back pains and our matress is shot bad. It has a huge dent in the middle. We need to replace it. She wants a tempur matress. I just want to know is this thing worth the money or is hyped up? I hear people love them, to they get hot when they sleep, to the seams fall apart.

Anyone know if this is a miricle matress... My parents slept on regular matress and so did there parents. I'm just saying. It's not the fact they are more pricey I'm just nervous this could be marketing propaganda and I'm going to overheat sleeping on foam.

Thanks folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Brianne and I picked up one this February. We picked up the HD Rhapsody bed.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/TEMPUR-HD...Collection.asp

We checked out the base model bed that was around $2000 I think, and it was too hard, and seemed like it trapped heat. We popped for the Rhapsody because it was medium firm and supposedly breathed better. I really, really hate hot beds/pillows/sleeping and I didn't hear about these beds trapping heat till *after* we bought it. That was my fault for not researching more.

Thankfully, it hasn't been an issue; between the new A/C in the house and the HD material, it's comfortable and we've been sleeping well.

What really sold Brianne was that I could literally belly flop on the bed and it wouldn't disturb her. I liked the fact that I can sleep in pretty much any position and it molds to my body. It is a little warm, but not HOT. It's awesome in the winter because you can get up in the middle of the night to pee, and the bed is still warm when you get back.

Expensive, but I'm really enjoying the bed.

Make sure you get FREE pillows when you buy the bed. We got the Symphony pillows and love them as well.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/Contoured...ed-Pillows.asp

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Be aware that you will actually hate the bed, at first. It takes some time to adjust to the foam, but once you do then sleeping in anything will kind of suck. It took me about 2 weeks until I really started liking it. And no more perma-dent in the middle like the old spring mattress.

I stayed away from the heat-activated Tempur Pedic and opted for a Simmons Beauty Rest ComforPedic: http://www.backtobed.com/mattresses/simmons/comforpedic

The main reasons is that you can't put water-proof mattress covers on TP mattress as they will trap in too much heat and then not function correctly. Having a cat who's been known to spaz out and mistake the bed for a litter box meant that the non-TP foam types were a better option. And the waterproof liner has already performed it's job once in the past year, getting anything errant scent out of foam would be impossible.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered Abuser

Sportbike: ATK605,CR250,VTX
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: S.C.M.O.D.S.

I just went through this too. Girlfriend and I combined households and we kept her bed which was a standard pillow top matress. I had been sleeping on a Select Comfort (Sleep Number) for the last 12 years. After a bit I started getting nasty lower back pain, initially figured I did something to my back, it'd go away. Figured out it was her dish-shaped matress.
Shopped around, read reviews, etc, etc. Was originally bent on a Tempurpedic, then read about latex, then revisited Sleep Number.
Ended up with a Sleep Number with a 5" memory foam (same as Tempurpedic) top. It seems like the best of both worlds. I get the movement isolation and the budy cradle, but I can also adjust the firmness through the air chamber. Not a cheap bed, but like Tosh said "It's 1/3 of your life, spend the money."
My only real advice it to take your time and check out as many different ones as you can, then narrow it down to a couple.

Good Luck.

Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in need of service. A breakdown is eventual.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Registered Abuser

Sportbike: ATK605,CR250,VTX
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: S.C.M.O.D.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
Be aware that you will actually hate the bed, at first. It takes some time to adjust to the foam, but once you do then sleeping in anything will kind of suck. It took me about 2 weeks until I really started liking it. And no more perma-dent in the middle like the old spring mattress.
Totally agree. The only thing you'll figure out in store is what firmness level you like.
Also check out the return policy. Most of the big names have a pretty good one.

Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in need of service. A breakdown is eventual.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Oh, one thing I forgot - lots of people complain about the smell of the bed.

We actually liked it, it reminded me of a new car smell. I was sad when I realized it went away.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 AM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
Like Shadrach I have 2 comforpedic mattresses. Just go with a firm one if you have back problems.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Also check the warranty on them. Some of the cheaper ones will allow for up to 1.5" of sag (which is a lot for foam) while the better ones will cover down to 3/4" of measurable sag.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

TDS charges $50 half hour for backrub. customer supplies lotions and or oils.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I really, really hate hot beds/pillows/sleeping and I didn't hear about these beds trapping heat till *after* we bought it. That was my fault for not researching more.

Bamboo Sheets,

SOOO MUCH better with temp control and keeping cool. I will only own bamboo since I had it.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseys
TDS, how much if i dressed up like a woman?
an extra 20 bucks, bro CLSB discount
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

check out sleep number

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

We picked the Tempur Contour. It was a toss up between the Cloud and the Seally Gel mattress. The Cloud felt nice on her back but took a second to get there. The Seally was good too. She said her hips felt the best on the Contour. She wanted to get the Cloud because it was a bit softer, and I like softer beds but I'll sleep on anything. I asked her "DO YOU LIKE THE CONTOUR".... She smiled. I knew that was the one she liked and I told her "quit lying to yourself to try and compromise for me". I'm not fussy when it comes to sleeping.

I think all this Tempur-pedic stuff is expensive because consumers pay for all there marketing. The salesman was pushing for this Sterns and Foster brand (old school bed) and I think it was nice too. The Seally Gel one had an additional 5 yr warranty. It's what she want's and she's happy. I just hope her back fells better. Like I stated before my old mattress really was worn down good. I guess I only have about 1 more week with my old mattress before it gets replaced. I'll miss that mattress LOL!

I sunk right in the middle of it it was like a sand trap!

Thanks for the input fellas.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:13 PM
God forgives, we don't

Sportbike: K7 Gixxer 600, 15 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
Years Riding: 5+
How you found us: On the interwebz

I was a skeptic at first as well. About 6 months ago we picked up a top of the line iComfort bed which is pretty much in line with the higher end Tempurpedics but at a little lower price point. We have been very happy with it.

I will say this, if you notice the online reviews on any of these new beds (i.e. Tempurpedic, SleepNumber etc...), you will notice that they all get a 50% passing grade. It works for some people and doesn't work for others. So it's really hard to decide and you really can't tell by lying on them for 15 minutes. That's why we got it from Sleep Experts and they gave us a 6 month guarantee. You can literally change out the bed as many times as you want within those 6 months until you find the one you like (they charge $75 for delivery and pick-up of the bed each time though). If the new bed you pick is more expensive you pay the difference. If it's cheaper you get the money back. This was in TX btw. We liked the bed and kept it. Hope this helps...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

The guy that worked there (Owner) was from the U.S.S.R

(soviet voice) "No disrahspect, huew guys bean longest customers browse around 2 hour befar purchaz HAHAHAA"

None taken Conrad. I would have thought shopping for a mattress would be a time consuming process.

He said it was good that we actually laid on the beds for such a long time. Most people get in and out in a hurry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode