Home/garage security system - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2008 650r
Years Riding: It rides me.
How you found us: App

Home/garage security system

So some one broke into my garage last night, 3 time in 4-5 years. I am not "home" but rather an hour away. My mother and girlfriend live there though, so far no one has tried the house. If they know who I am then that's why.

I started to look at security cameras. Since when I am done at school if I will be keeping my bike in said garage. Along with my car(current) and I have plenty of tools too. 1st time was some one left the door unlocked, 2nd was it got "jammed" and kicked open(saw foot print), 3rd was keys were snapped off in the door(GF told me). She was on her way out to work and didn't call the poilce, I assume that means nothing was missing.

The issue is, the house and garage are separated by about 50 feet of yard. I then started looking at the Wi-Fi cams, to set-up then remote monitor or even record.

I wouldn't mind something like a cam to record to an SD card, but then I don't get the pleasure of going out there with "my little friend" to let them know I know they are stopping by. I only really need one cam in the garage but if I get a receiver unit I might as well toss one more in the house too.

Anyone have experience with a set-up like this? I have lots of computer knowledge but I just don't know the technology in this way. Not like call Brinks and have it done stuff.

2008 650r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

Camera doesn't stop them though!!!!

I just put a Sledge heavy duty bolt system on my garage door.$80.00 with matched keys.

I also have a car alarm installed over the door in the eve.(it's damn loud 6" from your head)Mount the door triggers to both the entry door and over head door.
With a 12v converter it plugs right in.

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
I've been looking at driveway motion detectors so I know if anyone approaches my garage, but my situation is a little different I can walk out with a 12gauge, you're an hour away...

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

You want to deter, not provoke a confrontation.

Motion Lights.
Alarm the doors as Gus suggested.
Camera.

This will stop them and make them run before they are in.

If it doesn't and you are there .... then you can "chat" with them.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

First Alert Security Camera

I sell these at work, they do the job at a decent price. i would also take out your normal light switch and install a dual tech occupancy sensor that will kick the light on with movement and or sound/heat. has a decent range to it.

no i dont work at gander mountain, just where i found it lol

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
start at 3:15 for a laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GNca5Ildm0&t=3m15s

Motion lights and even a fake camera with a blinking LED. Friend has done it and deters people when they see the blinking light.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 PM

My cop buddy says to tell the police when they arrive that you were making a citizens arrest and the person resisted.

Gus
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
and cold beer.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

If you'd like ADT...I have a great referral for you. He just did my good friends home, and they were very very pleased.

Let me know if interested.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Bottom line is to make it appear easier to get away with breaking into some other garage rather than yours. Exterior motion lights; cover the windows with curtains, tissue paper or something so no one can look and see what's inside; a real or fake camera mounted looking at approach paths. Strong doors and good locks. All will act as a deterrent.

Stay away from analog 2.4GHz wireless camera setups. They will be interfered with badly by your and all your neighbors wifi systems. Same for the 5.8GHz models. Use a wifi streaming cam or one that combines a memory card and can send you stills via wifi when it detects motion.

Craig
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM

Sportbike: vt1100c3, XR 50
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: CR.us

I work in the security field and all you need are 2 double throw relays, a timer relay a 110v fire siren and some door contacts w/ a plug in transformer. Cameras are good but wifi ones suck. Trust me, and unless you have a trench from your garage to your house they will probably just steal the dvr too so now your out even more. Unless you have the time or money to really invest your wasting your time. ADT is ok as long as you have a cell back up other wise they just cut your phone like and your fucked again so add another $6 to your $35 a month bill. I use to run Brinks home security, and now run security for a fortune 500 companies. Best security LOUD NOISE and STICKERS saying shit you really don't have
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Sportbike: vt1100c3, XR 50
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: CR.us

Put a big sign saying your neibor doesn't have a security system and you do now
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

lol, thanks for some of those fun replies and thanks for the serious ones too.
I like the idea of the car alarm hooked up to the doors.
I also do think prevention or deterrents are worth as much as the system as well.
I will be investing in better locks, the regular doorknob lock is old and probably no help. The deadbolt probably wasn't locked.

I think I will get a motion light, I like the car alarm idea, since it is loud enough and it would scare the $hit out of them I'm sure, some stickers won't hurt as well.

I will add a camera when I figure out a decent set-up. I also made a note, if I want to take the step up to ADT stuff, I'll PM you. I been wanting to get it for the house, just not sure I am staying there/buying it after school. Also, out of the 24 years(my life) I've lived there, no one has ever tried to get in the house. We just have low life hood rat kids for the most part in the area. It is getting progressively more "shady."

2008 650r
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Seems to be the in thing these days with the kids.
Seldom do they take more than bikes and such.

Imagine risking your life over what might be worth steeling from someones garage.Silly kids.

Gus
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
and cold beer.

Last edited by resurrection; 09-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Sportbike: FZ6
How you found us: fz6 forum

for garage you would want a door that swing out. This way they can't kick the door in, they have to pull the door out. And that's a lot harder to do. Actually now that I think of it, all entry doors should swing out. Why they swing in is anybody's guess. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Wow he's slow...

Sportbike: CBR1000f
Years Riding: 40 years
How you found us: Web

I second the 'local siren' suggestion. The police being called and still four minutes away are far less deterrent than a 110dB siren screaming right at their face. Motion lights, heavy duty locks (reinforce the jamb to prevent kicking it in; a $100 lock hooked up to a $3 door jamb is pointless) and a dog are the best deterrents.

And if by 'your little friend' you mean a firearm, then consider it a liability any time it's not in your hand, since it gives them a reason to break into the house and steal it when you're away; don't carry gun cases out visibly, don't discuss guns in front of your neighbors and make sure the guns are in the very best safe you can afford when you're not home.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Larry, I can assure you, I don't speak of things like that and laugh at people who brag or do talk about them openly to people. I think just mentioned there is something there is plenty, out of respect if you can trust them...a lot.

I never though about the door swinging in. I will be rebuilding the frame or buying a heavy metal one come lock buying time. I will have to see if it's as easy as reversing the hinge, but I am thinking if I redo the frame anyway I will have to re-route for the hinges anyway.

I am going to be getting a dog when I am back there, I have wanted another one forever, my apt. now doesn't allow pets. It is also that whole see what the living situation is. My girlfriend and I have it narrowed down to a Shiba Iu or Dobberman.

Resurrection, that's the funny thing. They got in through the service door and they opened the over head one. I am guessing for a quick escape. Since there are things you could benefit form backing a truck up to it to take. It was just some idiots looking for a quick score I'm sure. I never leave the over head open unless I am right there and working in it and need the air flow. I always pay attention for people being nosy.
Maybe they thought my bike was in there. If they did go in for that, I am glad my situation is what it is.
That's why I am preparing now.

2008 650r
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmalker View Post
for garage you would want a door that swing out. This way they can't kick the door in, they have to pull the door out. And that's a lot harder to do. Actually now that I think of it, all entry doors should swing out. Why they swing in is anybody's guess. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
There is a reason for this, it's called a door hinge. In order for the door to swing outside, the door hinge would have to be outside as well. Guess how hard it is to remove a door from it's hinges in that situation
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 PM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalTwitch View Post

Resurrection, that's the funny thing. They got in through the service door and they opened the over head one. I am guessing for a quick escape. Since there are things you could benefit form backing a truck up to it to take. It was just some idiots looking for a quick score I'm sure. I never leave the over head open unless I am right there and working in it and need the air flow. I always pay attention for people being nosy.
Maybe they thought my bike was in there. If they did go in for that, I am glad my situation is what it is.
That's why I am preparing now.
If you get a door monitor and put it on one of their nightstands they will easily be able to see if the door is open or not. You can get them for like $20 or so online.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
There is a reason for this, it's called a door hinge. In order for the door to swing outside, the door hinge would have to be outside as well. Guess how hard it is to remove a door from it's hinges in that situation
doh! They have tamper proof hinges that are secured by set screw that can't be removed unless the door is opened. Trust me, it's a lot easier to kick in a door it doesn't take much force.

To to OP, make sure you get that safety hinge if you do decided to have door open out.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
doh! They have tamper proof hinges that are secured by set screw that can't be removed unless the door is opened. Trust me, it's a lot easier to kick in a door it doesn't take much force.

To to OP, make sure you get that safety hinge if you do decided to have door open out.
I figured they had to have some sort of special set-up, I mean...this issue is not a new one.

I will look into the door monitor thing too.

Final word on the issue: GF got home, she said the garage light was on. Not uncommon for my mom to leave it on...
The key in the door was a mis-text, it was OUR key and it was just in the door, not broken. Nothing missing or moved she said, at all.
So I now am under the assumption my mother left the key in it(not uncommon, as sad as it is, it's really common..house door too) and the over head door just needs to be greased I'm sure or the sensor had something fall in front of it.

Needless to say, I will still be investing in security, with the bike in there soon and just less drama in my life would be nice, lol.

Thanks again for all the input and ideas guys, it's appreciated

2008 650r
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Don't have the door open out. The door opens in typically to avoid being caught by wind gusts, which can damage the hinges, and frames. Think about a screen door in a hurricane.

Also he door jam on an "open in" style frame adds a layer of protection to the latch plunger.

Install an "open in" style door. Use long screws into the framing of the home (typically a 3" to 4" long screws work) in the hinge and latch areas. Also add a deadbolt screwed into the framing as well.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Quote:

Doors open in so that you cannot get trapped inside by things like deep snow that might prevent the door from opening out.

Tom

T2
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
Doors open in so that you cannot get trapped inside by things like deep snow that might prevent the door from opening out.

Tom
good point. Shovel said snow and you're all good! Chance of you getting trapped in a garage is nil. Entry into your home is another story.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Quote:
good point. Shovel said snow and you're all good! Chance of you getting trapped in a garage is nil. Entry into your home is another story.

It's all exterior doors .... and in many places it's part of the building code.

Tom

T2
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
It's all exterior doors .... and in many places it's part of the building code.

Tom
so I guess storm door are not allowed per code? They do open out you know?
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Getting trapped in garage ????

And what's the problem?????

Gus
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
and cold beer.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

I have a pocket door on my garage because I'm simply awesome.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
I have a couple sentry guns installed in my garage, it's tricky to keep the kids from going in there but worth the risk to protect my weed wacker.

Chris
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Pocket? Duh...get a forcefield door. No snow because it will melt it. Bugs will get zapped is a bonus.

Opaque would be better so they cant see in but maybe transulescent to tease/tempt them.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Just wire up a tesla coil to the metal door. When anyone touches it, they will get zapped.

Craig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode