BRZ or Abarth - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

BRZ or Abarth

I know the Toyobaru BRZ/GT-86 isn't really comparable to a FWD Fiat 500 Abarth...

But I want a small fun car that is enjoyable for longer driving times but still decent on gas mileage. I've got a 46 mile commute everyday and w/o driving these cars its pretty tough to determine which to buy. Next week I'll be driving the BRZ, but I haven't really been able to locate an Abarth close enough to try.

So what do you guys think? I know I'm not much for FWD cars, I personally prefer RWD... but from everything I've seen - the Fiat would be a very fun car that I could easily park in the City (where I live).

Which would you choose? Resale value on both should be pretty good too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Mini ?

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

First model year for the Toyo, I'd pass on it.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Just so you know, the Toyota and Subaru suspensions are set up differently. One likes to be tail happy, the other (I think Subaru) likes to push.

The Fiat is a nice car, proven in Europe. It should be cheaper for basic maintenance (tires, oil change, etc) and cheaper on insurance.

I like Mini's, but by the time you get to a decent package, it will be over $30K.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

A preowned 370z?

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

subaru.

I like the styling of the 500, but i can't get past an Italian designed car built in Mexico with a UAW built engine. It just screams Fix it again Tony

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
I hadn't heard of that BRZ before. That's a cool little car.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Kot
I suffer from N4S

Sportbike: 05 R6 track, 07 R6 street
Years Riding: ... weeks :)
How you found us: google

Send a message via Skype™ to Kot
BRZ looks so much better and from what I've read, it's tons of fun.

Chris
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

Abarth Abarth Abarth!!

The one I ordered is for sale at the dealership up here. Buy it!!

(Long story as to why I didn't, and bought a non-Abarth Sport 500 instead. Even without the extra 60hp and turbo the car is a friggin' HOOT!!)

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
MichelinWoodcraftArmour BodiesSpyder LeatherworksSTTSTG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I haven't really been able to locate an Abarth close enough to try.
I heard that the Fiat must be serviced at a Fiat dealership or you void the warranty, if you can't find one close because you arent close to a dealer, it might be a consideration.

I have a 25 mpg WRX and love it, so I vote for the BRZ. I saw one in person (but havent driven one), I really like the styling.

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Year round use? Can see these not liking wet and snow. Both get good reviews but have read that the powerband on the brz like to be wound up. +1 on the mini being north of 30K for a Works version. Do really dig the way the FR-S and BRZ look and they are good on gas too. Ever consider the new MX-5? They have grown since years ago and are a true small rwd sports car. Really nice little toy.

Under200
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

you can get that hot ass broad if you buy abarth?

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Wait for the turbo brz, you know they'll make one.

Chris
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
P&L Motorsports in Franklin Park has built a turbo kit that gets the BRZ over 400 hp already.

That would be one fun car, but doubt I'd be willing to give up my warranty so easily, especially on a new model car like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM
yo quiero su taco

Quote:
P&L Motorsports in Franklin Park has built a turbo kit that gets the BRZ over 400 hp already.

That would be one fun car, but doubt I'd be willing to give up my warranty so easily, especially on a new model car like that.

If TRD comes out with a turbo, it wont void the warranty. May not get you up to 400, but maybe 300. They did that with the TCs, TRD made a turbo that did not void the warranty. Unfortunately the turbo was a piece of crap and was notorious for breaking. But still nice feature. Roush does the same for Mustang's, but I think it is a supercharger.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
If TRD comes out with a turbo, it wont void the warranty. May not get you up to 400, but maybe 300. They did that with the TCs, TRD made a turbo that did not void the warranty. Unfortunately the turbo was a piece of crap and was notorious for breaking. But still nice feature. Roush does the same for Mustang's, but I think it is a supercharger.
TRD made a supercharger for the tC (use to own a tC). You are right though, the thing would break all the time and was a rip off. I think it only added around 60 hp and cost $3-4 grand. Huge advantage is that you kept your warranty though.

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: Scout 67

For year round neither are a good idea. The Abarth and BRZ are over priced for what you are getting. They are both small and have no cargo area. You cannot fit 4 adults in either car especially the BRZ. That is a two seater only, call me a lier... I challenge you to be able to drive that car with 4 adults. There is no way no how it's going to happen unless your a legal dwarf midget. Out of the two I'd lean towards the Abarth.

For all year long the WRX makes a much more practical car and offers a lot more utility. For that price point. I think a standard Impreza is the best choice with the winter package. Despite how this may sound a new V6 mustang gets really good MPG is only 1 hp less than the original Shelby Cobra which people drool over. The car is easily the fastest and not having to change gears ever 10 mph is really nice.

AWD for chicago or a nice heavy FWD would be real suggestions. The Mustang is going to be dog shit in the snow.

I don't know how your income status is but I'd be thinking something that gets good gas milage and preferably 87 octane. 50 miles a day is going to put a toll on your wallet. I truly never understand why people want to drive performance cars all year long. It boggles my mind. I've driven performance cars in the winter and it'll be the last thing I do again. They were not my cars.

Last edited by LockDownMike; 10-04-2012 at 03:11 PM.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

You have a 46 mile commute out of the city?

Get something comfortable. Unless you're working 3rd shift you're not going anywhere fast, and even the side roads will tear up anything close to "sport". Get something quiet with as many creature comforts as you can afford. I'd get a GTI with a nice stereo and some paddle shifters.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: Scout 67

Looks like he lives in Iowa I'm pretty sure that's just as bad weather wise as chicago. I'd like to note that the Abarth has a wonderful exhaust note.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM
yo quiero su taco

Oh yeah it was a sc not a turbo. my bad.

Quote:
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
What Udog said.

Greg

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig

As much as I'd like to drive a big comfortable sedan that easily fits 4 adults... what I want is out of my price range (well taken care of 335i or 550i with the sport pack).

But purchasing a new car is probably the dumbest thing I can do... in terms of depreciation. However; both of those car I hope won't depreciate like crazy b/c of how few there are and the demand is pretty decent right now (unless they make a Turbo BRZ - then I'd be fucked)

As far as practicality goes - I'm not really one to be practical. I'd rather have a fun car that was relatively comfortable than a really comfortable car that has ample seating room and isn't very fun. Plus living in the city, parking is gonna be a bitch.

And yea I live in Downtown Chicago now, not Iowa. And I have to commute to Round Lake every weekday starting Monday.

Miatas ... not really my cuppa tea. Also, I'd rather cut off my leg than buy an automatic - especially a paddleshift one. I strongly despise automatic transmissions.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
As much as I'd like to drive a big comfortable sedan that easily fits 4 adults... what I want is out of my price range (well taken care of 335i or 550i with the sport pack).

But purchasing a new car is probably the dumbest thing I can do... in terms of depreciation. However; both of those car I hope won't depreciate like crazy b/c of how few there are and the demand is pretty decent right now (unless they make a Turbo BRZ - then I'd be fucked)

As far as practicality goes - I'm not really one to be practical. I'd rather have a fun car that was relatively comfortable than a really comfortable car that has ample seating room and isn't very fun. Plus living in the city, parking is gonna be a bitch.

And yea I live in Downtown Chicago now, not Iowa. And I have to commute to Round Lake every weekday starting Monday.

Miatas ... not really my cuppa tea. Also, I'd rather cut off my leg than buy an automatic - especially a paddleshift one. I strongly despise automatic transmissions.
To each is own. Do you have car now? If you do, hold of buying s new one untill you see how the drive is and then revisit the whole comfort and shifting gears preferences.

Greg

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Clever Girl

BRZ starts at $25,495.

You can easily get a used 335i for that price.

Quote:
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Currently I own only motorcycles. If I need a practical people mover or motorcycle tow-er I can borrow my brother's minivan.

Also, this is Tempting... not a huge miata fan but rwd turbo with a stick

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...d-42565c2c1c56

Quote:
BRZ starts at $25,495.

I haven't found a 335i I like yet. And used car financing rates I've found a quite a bit higher.

Also, I'm biased b/c I used to live with a friend who had one w/ nearly every option except for Navi (which I don't want).

Last edited by JRobbins; 10-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM

Sportbike: 05 SV
Years Riding: ...
How you found us: ...

RWD anything going from Chicago to Round Lake is going to suck.

Unless you get something mid-engine I'd stick to FWD or AWD.

Try commuting on 41 or 294 once it snows, sometimes those plows don't come out so quick up north.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

jrobbins thread fact #312 neither of these vehicles will actually be purchased

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Sportbike: 07 600RR, 08 DRZ400SM, '99 KLR650, 08TW200, '86 Bobber
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: the interwebs

90->53->12 sucks! I lived in McHenry and have done that commute more than anyone alive! It sucks.

I say BRZ all the way! The Fiat is a girls car.....seriously. If you're not a hot Italian chick running out of a cafe with an expresso, then don't buy it. The BRZ/FR-S is a fun and capable car. The problem is, unless you'll be commuting at 3am, you'll never go over 35mph in both cars.

I agree with the other guys. Buy something comfy....a rolling couch. I'm in the car allllllll day and, even though I insist on driving a manual trans, my commuter car/work car is an automatic and my legs thank me for it. Is it boring? Yes, but sitting in Friday 5:30pm traffic and you'll thank me too.

Pain Breeds Loyalty
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Quote:
BRZ starts at $25,495.

Make sure its certified preowned. That 335i engine has more issues than the octomom.

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
I am the Stig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
jrobbins thread fact #312 neither of these vehicles will actually be purchased
I will fight you...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode