New home owners. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: Scout 67

New home owners.

So last night a house that my wife and I were looking at is now going to be ours. It is by no means a starter house. That doesn't mean it's pretty though. It has a lot of things that make it very unique that most houses do not have. I don't want to get too deep involved in it right now because I have a headache from all the beers I've pounded last night, and most people wouldn't care. The house needs A LOT of work. With interest rates as low as they are I just don't feel like buying and flipping. It's not that I cannot because I surely could, it's just I'm busy enough. Id like to concentrate that energy into making babies! LOL

If I take a step back and look at things I have vs my age I am doing very well. I am just poor now. I have a saying I've stuck to. "Pay now play later" Basically pay my dues while I'm young so I can ease up when these bones ache more than they already do.

I can raise a family in this house and die in this house. It's in a very nice quite part of Chicago. Some of you know that I need to live in Chicago and have no choice. It kind of stinks but it's part of a career someone choose. Any way you slice and dice it this could get real interesting. I have lots for sledge hammer days ahead of me and dust masks.

My lawyer is a barracuda and I should be well taken care of. I hope this house passes inspection and I can get ready to tackle all sorts of "interesting" projects that involve lots of swearing!

I need to go drink more water now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Congrats and enjoy!!!!!!!!

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Congrats Mike!

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Congratulations on the new home. So what all do you have to do to it? Is any part of the house particularly worrisome when it comes to the inspection?

I'd be more worried about the appraisal than the inspection. If big repair stuff is found then you should be able to get the seller to fix it.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Congrats on the new home! North or South end of the city?

Craig
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

I'm in bed typing on phone so ill update later on computer. I can't sleep now. I'm on north side. I should just go on the damn computer.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
Congratulations on the new home. So what all do you have to do to it? Is any part of the house particularly worrisome when it comes to the inspection?

I'd be more worried about the appraisal than the inspection. If big repair stuff is found then you should be able to get the seller to fix it.
Chris, I can tell you how much the inspection is worth $89,900 - $300 for the inspection itself. I had a home purchase that I was able to back out of due to that inspection. Not only did i save my own ass, I saved anyone else who was looking at the property.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 AM

I know inspections are worth it, trust me. My inspector found a few problems that I'm glad were taken care of before the closing. I was just sayin' that even if stuff is found with the inspection the seller will take care of the issues, so you don't need to stress too much about it.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post

Okay well I'm drinking espresso and at this early hour I am going to get my hair cut.

Why do you say worried about the appraisal?

What's wrong with the house... build wise its solid as can be or so I firmly believe. (getting it inspected and radon tested)

The previous owner did everything for cheap. He painted over wallpaper. Everything is wall papered. He put granite countertops in but never removed the old back splash. There is 1980's tiles in the foyer. There are chanedelers in every room. The patio needs to be mudjacked up in the corner. It goes where the garage is, no concern and no leakage that I've seen. I will redo the concrete. The basement has wood paneling. The electrical box has pushmatics. Not the oldest, I've seen houses with fuses. That's old.

It's got a new roof and soffits. New windows except for the large 5 window curved out windows (expensive ones)
New tile on the kitchen floor. He did some stuff like refinish wood floors. Oh the family room has some horendious vynal tiles. It has a mini bar in living room which I would like to open up and remove.

I told the guy this house needs work. He knows it too. You can't get by because nobody else fixes the house and you think you can do it cheaply that it will go unnoticed. Id rather the house be left the way it was. Payed a little less and did it myself.

The house is absolutely wonderful despite how hard I've been on it. I just didn't want to show that type of emotion when I viewed it. I told the owner the house had solid bones. I wasn't a complete dick.

It has so much opportunity in it's current neighborhood to shine bright. It needs a guy like me with a pair of seasoned work boots to get dirty. It's going to require me to save my money too because I CANNOT AT ALL AFFORD to do this over night. NOW WAY, NO HOW!

1 dime at a time. Mark my words I will not sell this house*

* If I'm fortuante to live to a nice ripe old age I'd like to retire out of this state.... I mean who wouldn't want to live here in Illinois....

I'll be tired today at work but with all this firepower I should be okay I hope... Fingers crossed home inspection passes with flying colors. I would rather the house be legit than to go back to the tables and fight again. I've had enough of that drama. Plus unless it's a heath hazard he doesn't have to fix anything if he wants to put his foot down. I'd rather he not touch anything. Id rather control the game at this point. OH MAN FINGERS SO TIGHTLY CROSSED!

Last edited by LockDownMike; 10-17-2012 at 08:46 AM.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Congrats on the house! That's awesome that you found one you feel like you could grow old in!

I have a love-hate relationship with mine. Hopefully yours will be mostly good!

Or you could be a pimp like VCOOK and just rebuild everything.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 10-17-2012 at 08:44 AM.
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Or you could be a pimp like VCOOK and just rebuild everything.
Just do it.

Chris
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM

Sounds like most of the stuff is cosmetic, which is all good. You'll have a lot of work ahead of you, but in the end you'll have the exact house you want.

As for the appraisal, just hope it comes in at or over your agreed price. It can be a PITA if it comes in low. That may sound like good news, but the seller might not lower their price because of finances; and the mortgage company may not lend you as much if what you're buying is worth less that what you're paying.

I bleed GREEN
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

i got the deal on my house because it failed inspections which forced FHA buyers to back out and the price fell and fell untill it became affordable
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
sounds like it needs a lot of work. lowball the shit out of them.
too many nice ready-to-move-in houses on the market to pay market prices on one that's out of date. plenty of "nice" REO properties out there that can be had for cents on the dollar too.
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH View Post
sounds like it needs a lot of work. lowball the shit out of them.
too many nice ready-to-move-in houses on the market to pay market prices on one that's out of date. plenty of "nice" REO properties out there that can be had for cents on the dollar too.
this.

that's a long list of ugly shit.

Chris
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Not in decent Chicago areas with attached garages that aren't corner homes. I looked. I did very well on my accepted price. Zero regrets if all goes smooth.
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDownMike View Post
Not in decent Chicago areas with attached garages that aren't corner homes. I looked. I did very well on my accepted price. Zero regrets if all goes smooth.
You know what works for you, congrats. I think what people are saying is that a home is a lot of work and to add the things you mentioned is kind of over the top. If you we're able to address those things before you move in, that would be one thing, but a double stacked to do list is tough to swallow.

Greg

post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm 29 years old. These are things I can do. I have a close large family. It's amazing all these years I help uncles, god parents, cousins, and friends. All these people are eager to help out offering openly. I feel like crying. It's amazing. I've done so much and never asked. I'm betting these people felt like I feel when I help them out. This list is things I want not need. This list is because I know I can and will do better for myself and future family. I've been in houses where people buy cheap or don't work on at all. Kinda like my inlaws. They are happy god bless them. Everything old. They can afford to fix it they just have different ideas of what they need. I like nice stuff when it comes to remodeling. If I have to save a little more to earn a nicer toilet to poop in so be it.
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
Congrats. Now post pics!!! Lol.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 PM

Sportbike: K8 GSXR600
How you found us: GOOGS

I thought somebody will say "this never happened without pictures". lol
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Home inspection tomorrow at 9. With all this rain we had it should be obvious if water gets in. For privacy reasons I don't know if I'd like to share pics. I know I'm acting paranoid but I have to live in Chicago for what my wife does. You may be able to read between the lines.

If I was single I wouldn't care not one bit but out of respect for her I really don't feel it's a good idea. I really want to take pics and share. Let me finalize this. I do almost anything I want she is awesome. I just don't know if its a good idea. Once things calm down I may be able to. I personally don't see the harm in it. She might be open to it. Give me some time that's all I need.

Last edited by LockDownMike; 10-17-2012 at 11:38 PM.
post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I will bring my camera tomorrow and take some snaps. Ill post them after closing. She doesn't want anyone knowing where she lives. Ill only take interior pics that don't give away my top secret 007 positioning lol. Best I can do guys.

Only problem I find is how do pics justify the size? My bedroom has 3 closets and a walk in with an attached master bedroom. How do you capture that? It's almost like a video is better. I'm not making a video because I don't care that much lol. I am good at lousy picture posting.

I do try to come through if or when I can. She seems okay with that portion of the idea.
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:36 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Congrats , good move to buy now.

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Do you work for the City? What part of Chicago. I was in the same place 10 years ago. Worked for the city and bought a solid Arts and Crafts 1915 2 story in Jeff Park.

I wouldn't worry so much about the inspection unless it's a total disaster. I also wouldn't worry so much about the water. Nearly every home in Chicago gets water. Worry more about what you can do about the water. Foundation cracks might be resolvable. Backed up drains you can get insurance for and a flood control (although might cost $6000). But that's solvable.

What isn't so easy to solve is if the house is the lowest house on the block. The home I bought was the 1st home built on the block 100 yrs ago. All the other home construction since kept raising the grade until my home was the low point. My back yard would fill up with water a foot deep.

What made this worse was that the foundation was at or below grade so water would just cascade over the top. I solved that and then my fireman neighbor decided to add a swimming pool and pave his whole yard and not add any drains and then pitched the grade towards my property.

I tried for years to battle the permit for this work and then to call the water department when his run off added another foot of water to my yard. Then he pulled his downspouts out of the drainage to the street when he paved his yard and splashed them towards my home. That was the last straw. I built a mountain of earth 3 feet high against my property to keep his water off mine.

He then flooded every time it rained. The kicker was his wife would get a pump and toss the evacuator hose over my fence and purge the water into my yard.

I just moved. I was one heartbeat away from making a scene.

Anyway, most of these old homes get water mostly through the basement drain. If you store anything of value down there just get a "back up drain" line on your homeowners insurance. It's like $200-300/yr but you won't have to worry.

I eventually finished my basement, put in a flood control, french drains, fixed the foundation, etc. It was all good. The place you describe could be just about any home on the NW side.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Pics are uploading I will need a few minutes. I showed them to my wife and she is like "if it makes you feel good go for it" I smiled. She said as strangers don't know where this is then it doesn't matter.

I tried to take pictures that didn't include any sort of address or indication of it's location. I'm sorry to be paranoid but it would be a total prick move on my part seeing she clearly told me not to. Now she is more open as far as what I showed her.

Home inspection went like this "EXTREMELY WELL!" the inspector kept saying "this is a nice house" even when no one was around. He has been doing this for 12 years. He was extremely knowledgable. I found out some really cool stuff. I also found some old playboy mags which my dad has in his car. LOL

One said Marylin Monroe on the cover. I didn't open it up they were in good condition hidden in the attic above the garage. I have a couple "Minor issues" Nothing that would in a any way shape or form be a reason to seriously bitch.

I don't feel like writing a novel on the house with pro's vs cons. I'm exhausted from waking up every day early. This week is "HELL WEEK" as the agent said. After this I can resume my old sleep paterns. I am blessed to have gotten this house I feel at this point. Pics should be done uploading. Few minutes for me plz.
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Hell week is when you move your shit
post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

jesus reading that post about the water made me cringe, that's terrible. I'd want to burn my neighbor's house down.

Chris
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 PM

Well congrats. I understand your desire for privacy. We still will want to be invited over for beers once you move in though.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
jesus reading that post about the water made me cringe, that's terrible. I'd want to burn my neighbor's house down.
Ah, in the city you don't want to cause trouble with anyone. You never know who their brother, nephew, uncle, etc might be. Because of the residency rule the city services are pretty inbred.

My whole block was fireman, cop, county sheriff, city garbage man, school teacher, cop, cop, oh and then I suppose you add in the ComEd guy.

Pretty blue collar. Better to be drinking with them than having someone's brother in law turn off your water by mistake.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
there's a Hell week associated with buying a house?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode